• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft confirms Broken Sword: The Director's Cut (Wii/DS)

Sloane

Banned
bg6984.jpg

25s4oev.jpg

Facts:
- based on the original Broken Sword, possibly the best adventure game ever created
- lots of new content, new puzzles, new locations, expanded story
- controls obviously redone for DS and Wii
- some new animations by Dave Gibbons (Watchmen)
- developed by Revolution, published by Ubisoft
- game's pretty much gone gold, coming to Europe in March 2009
- you have to buy it!

More screenshots.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Gosh darn it, my buddy just gave me the original game as a Christmas Present.

Ah well, this is awesome. I love Broken Sword.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
will buy for my DS, as i've always wanted to play this one.

now we need monkey island ports... between this and the Ace Attorney series, the DS is an adventure game BEAST

ashism

Sloane said:
Facts:
- Broken Sword, possibly the best adventure game ever created
Exactly.

Seriously, I think we could have peace in the middle east if we just had more adventure games in the world.

scarybore

Damn this is awesome, is there a PC version in addition to the Wii and DS versions? Would be a bit odd if there wasn't but it doesn't mention it in the op. If not, looks like I'll be buying a Wii.

ashism

Syberia for DS had some very sloppy touch inputs. I'm hoping to god DS version handles well.
If not, I guess I can go with Wii. Having this game on the go would be awesome though.

LiK

Valkyr Junkie said:
I have no idea what this is about, but when you mention "best adventure game ever" in a post you have my attention.

definitely one of the best 2D point-n-click adventure games ever.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Valkyr Junkie said:
I have no idea what this is about, but when you mention "best adventure game ever" in a post you have my attention.

If you like point and click adventures, and you havn't played Broken Sword, well then I hope they remake the game for maybe DS or Wii or perhaps both, maybe with some additional content, so you can play it.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
UbiSoft, I am supposed to fucking hate you for your Wii "support", now stop remaking games that are fucking awesome or I might have to rethink my stance or something.

Day 1, Day 0 even, especially as it isn't some rehash by some 2 bit company, but by Revolution Software themselves, fuck yes.

Colocho

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
+Trace Memory, +Hotel Dusk, +Jake Hunter, +Flower, Sun and Rain, +Silver Case, etc.

Huh?, Jake Hunter is one of the worst adventure games I've ever played, you can't lose no matter what you do, you can never get "stuck", it's just down right horrible

The others you mentioned are pretty good though (especially Hotel Dusk)

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
GAF - Honest opinions time!

I have loved Broken Sword 1 and 2 since they came out, Broken Sword 1 is POSSIBLY my favourite game of all time.

I have never played 3 or 4. I didn't want to tarnish my beloved games with these possible-turds.

Are they turds? Or are they playable? Should I just forgoe all the bullshit and jump in?

scarybore

McBacon said:
I have never played 3 or 4. I didn't want to tarnish my beloved games with these possible-turds.

Are they turds? Or are they playable? Should I just forgoe all the bullshit and jump in?

They are playable but the puzzles have become even more convoluted and nonsensical, controls aren't great and plot wise they don't touch the first two games. Still enjoyable mostly due to the dialogue and worth a go on the cheap which they surely will be now, but don't set your expectations too high.

Timber

eeeeeh

big broken sword fan here but a remake? eeeeh the original pc version is pretty timeless. but okay i guess its an enhanced version and not really a remake but still eeeeh.
george and nico look kinda bad in those screens

eeeeh

not too excited about this. will buy for wii anyway. eeeeh.

Scrubking

So how much does this game cost? Amazon has it listed for $50.

If that's the actual price they can go to hell. I'm sick of full price ports.

I'm not paying a cent over $19.95

CiSTM

Banned
McBacon said:

They are not good as the orginals but on todays adventure game standards they are very enjoyable games. The Sleeping Dragon was actually really good game.

Sloane

Banned
McBacon said:
I have loved Broken Sword 1 and 2 since they came out, Broken Sword 1 is POSSIBLY my favourite game of all time.
Hey, mine too!

McBacon said:
Well, you have to understand that both are very different from the first two. They put a lot of effort into making BS3 and it wasn't bad, but it didn't really feel like a Broken Sword game. The story got pretty crazy, you have to push boxes around etc etc. BS4 felt a bit more like the original one but sadly production values were kinda low.

If I had the choice, I probably wouldn't play them.

FoxHimself said:
Buy this god damn it! The more people that buy this, the bigger the chances they'll port the rest of the series!
Or do a completely new one in 2D!

Mifune

Mehmber
Never got to try this series, and I'm a big graphic adventure fan stretching back to the original Maniac Mansion.

This is awesome news!

Goldrusher

Why no HD version ?

Would look very nice and the PS3 even has mouse/keyboard support (if the dev wants to use it). Perhaps release it via PSN/Live.

Goldrusher said:
Why no HD version ?

Would look very nice and the PS3 even has mouse/keyboard support (if the dev wants to use it). Perhaps release it via PSN/Live.

Yeah, cuz HD consoles need more quality third party games.

Anyway, what is this a port from? And why the hell can't they just make a new one?

Still, this is an another rare Ubi published game that doesn't look downright horrible, so I'll bite.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Goldrusher said:
Why no HD version ?

Maybe... Maybe they wanted the game to be out on the two systems that are the most suited to the genre out of the box (pointer + no emphasis on horsepower), and/or maybe they wanted to maximize its sales potential by releasing it on the two most successful systems this gen?

Just a wild guess though. I know it sounds crazy.

LiK

The-Switcher said:
And why the hell can't they just make a new one?

the sequels were never as good as the original. i'm glad they're remaking the original with new content. it'll probably grab some new fans just like Phoenix Wright 1 did when it was rereleased.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The-Switcher said:
Anyway, what is this a port from? And why the hell can't they just make a new one?
Making a director's cut is cheaper and takes less time than creating a new one from scratch, which means it lowers the financial risk, which is important considering that adventure games don't generally sell well in today's market.

Top Bottom