• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Feep
Second-hand Citizen
(12-22-2008, 03:35 AM)
(Searched and found nothing)

As I was heading to my local Wal-Mart in Gainesville, Florida (Go Gators!) to pick up party balloons, I glanced out my window to behold my familiar old Gamestop. Except, it wasn't my familiar old Gamestop. It was bigger. And shinier. And so I had to go see (picture A).

According to the employees, the store is one of only a few (and possibly the only) prototype stores in the nation. There is ALL kinds of fuck-awesome shit in this store.

First off, it's three times as large as a standard Gamestop, with two separate wood-inlaid counters and high-quality flooring. There were no less than EIGHTEEN separate demo kiosks around the store, including a giant custom kiosk for Guitar Hero: World Tour. They were even demoing Valkyria Chronicles(!). Also littering the outer walls, amongst the games, stood high-definition touch-screen displays that you could browse the store catalog (picture D), as well as manually search for any title to check for a game description, price (both new and used), and whether or not the game is currently in-stock. Both these touchscreen displays and several of the kiosks feature those high-quality audio cone things mounted above. Also, thanks to these displays, I found out Prince of Persia is selling for $40 new due to some Amazon price drop. Awesome. I bought it.

The front of the store had several more high-definition displays showing the newest releases (picture C), and near the back was a four-person DS/PSP congregation with some spiffy modern-look red chairs (picture B), which looked oddly like a hookah. It was quite an experience, and despite my loathing of physical media, I'd head over to Gamestop more often if they were all like this. The employees stated that more would pop up soon, if this one (these ones?) did reasonably well.

Sorry for the picture quality, my cell phone is old. = (

[IMG]http://i41.************/2ywh5w6.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i39.************/2s85rgm.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i39.************/fjzsbq.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i44.************/2ihldft.jpg[/IMG]
Last edited by Feep; 12-22-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Femmeworth
Miss Negativity
(12-22-2008, 03:37 AM)
I bet they still sell you display copies as new.

Cool store, though.
cjtiger300
(12-22-2008, 03:38 AM)
Holy Shit! That is friggin Awesome!!
HK-47
Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Originally Posted by Feep

(fuck them, I'm a ninja)

Best part
Smokey
Just ordered 2 Laker car flags on Amazon.com
That's actually...pretty awesome.

I've noticed that they're starting to put more HD displays in stores replacing the old tubes showing off upcoming games etc.
neight
Banned

Originally Posted by ninj4junpei

I bet they still sells you display copies.

Cool store, though.

And used games. How do you think they're paying for the upgrades?
Ninja Scooter
bow down to the
Kings in Raider hats
so it doesn't fix anything that sucks about Gamestop?
Smokey
Just ordered 2 Laker car flags on Amazon.com
(12-22-2008, 03:39 AM)

Originally Posted by Ninja Scooter

so it doesn't fix anything that sucks about Gamestop?

HERE WE GO!

only took 7 posts.

amazing
HUELEN10

:lol

But yeah OP, that does look pretty sweet. I am currently in Orlando, so none of those 'round my parts.
GenericPseudonym
Banned
So basically a real store? Not some basement-looking room with no natural light, way too many posters, duct tape on the floor and a bad smell?
Peronthious
(12-22-2008, 03:40 AM)
...woah. I think I remember hearing about these not too long ago, definitely looks nice. Awesome setup.
rexor0717
Looks nice. There is a cool Gamestop in Citywalk in Hollywood. I haven't been there for a long time, but it was a big place.
Where the fuck are the magazine racks? What am I going to knock over on my rages out of the store?
SaggyMonkey
Where are the magazine racks?

(edit, i guess you were thinking what i was thinking)
drohne
hyperbolically metafictive
(12-22-2008, 03:41 AM)
have they found away to eliminate the largest disincentive to shopping at gamestop, namely the gamestop employee
badcrumble
(12-22-2008, 03:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Tenks

Where the fuck are the magazine racks? What am I going to knock over on my rages out of the store?

Bolted to the walls :(
SaggyMonkey
(12-22-2008, 03:43 AM)

Originally Posted by drohne

have they found away to eliminate the largest disincentive to shopping at gamestop, namely the gamestop employee

I think they should move to Hooters waitresses. At least they won't pretend to know what they're talking about and would be nice to look at.
legend166

Originally Posted by feep

Also littering the outer walls, amongst the games, stood high-definition touch-screen displays that you could browse the store catalog (picture D), as well as manually search for any title to check for a game description, price (both new and used), and whether or not the game is currently in-stock.

All they need now is self service checkouts.
Feep
Second-hand Citizen

Not really, but they did add a hot blonde girl, which is enough to distract from the others.

I was never fully against the Gamestop practice of "gutting", but I'd imagine that hasn't changed. The experience was just...nicer than your standard GS. Way nicer.
Gantz
Banned
(12-22-2008, 03:44 AM)
This still won't get me to shop at their stores again.
Azure Dream
(12-22-2008, 03:44 AM)
I remember seeing one similar to that when I was in California last year. It was near Universal Studios, in some outdoor shopping complex called the Park or Boardwalk or something.

It's already bad enough as it is, imagine parents dropping off their kids for cheap babysitting into a place like that.
purg3
slept with Malkin
(12-22-2008, 03:45 AM)
the touch screen stuff sounds great. that way you don't have to deal with talking to anyone :lol
Femmeworth
Miss Negativity
(12-22-2008, 03:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Gantz

This still won't get me to shop at their stores again.

Unfortunately, Wal-Mart will for me.
HUELEN10
(12-22-2008, 03:46 AM)

The experience was just...nicer than your standard GS. Way nicer.

Well that is a store-by-store basis. I know the one up in Jax that I usually go to is awesome. Nicest people around.
Mindlog
(12-22-2008, 03:48 AM)
Well if they really acknowledge DD as a threat I guess this is something to consider.

Otherwise I don't know why an owner would just want to eat into their profits with more floorspace.
davidpdong
(12-22-2008, 03:49 AM)
But then how will Rhinos Used Games survive!?
Feep
Second-hand Citizen
(12-22-2008, 03:50 AM)

Originally Posted by davidpdong

Ironically, this location used to be a Rhino's Used Games. :lol :lol :lol
HUELEN10

Originally Posted by davidpdong

the fuck is a rhino?
TJ Spyke

Originally Posted by Mindlog

Well if they really acknowledge DD as a threat I guess this is something to consider.

Otherwise I don't know why an owner would just want to eat into their profits with more floorspace.

DD is not even remotely a threat to retail sales and won't be anytime soon.

I like the current look of GameStop, it feels cozy. The only thing I don't like is the rip-off prices for used games, there are other stores in my city that sell used games for lower prices.
kaskade
(12-22-2008, 03:52 AM)
It's about time they started updating the stores. They have had the same look for as long as I can remember, ugly and disorganized.
Visualante
(12-22-2008, 03:52 AM)
They must have taken a look at GAME stores in the UK and Europe. Clean, well lit and laid out. They really invest in their stores and make it the same experience where-ever you go, much like Starbucks. Obviously people are willing to pay a premium for this because they're invariably the most expensive on the high street but year upon year they grow.

GameStop have taken it a step further and made it a social experience.
MvmntInGrn
(12-22-2008, 03:53 AM)
For some reason the thread name made me think you had a prototype Gamestop in Animal Crossing :lol

Interesting, looks pretty damn nice. How was the service? Most gamestops tend to be iffy to horrible in that area IMO.
distantmantra
(12-22-2008, 03:54 AM)
I remember Willco talking about one of these in the Bay Area (California) earlier this year.
MvmntInGrn
(12-22-2008, 03:56 AM)

Originally Posted by distantmantra

I remember Willco talking about one of these in the Bay Area (California) earlier this year.

Maybe we should make a "Prototype Gamestop Sightings" Thread .

I would go visit one if it wasn't too far away.
autobzooty
(12-22-2008, 03:58 AM)
holy shit

...why in florida of all places? :lol
Cosmo Clock 21
(12-22-2008, 03:59 AM)
You'd think that with such a massive store upgrade they'd finally be able to afford real display cases, eliminating the need to gut new games.
Azure J
(12-22-2008, 03:59 AM)
Gainesville, FL you say? Well, I know where I'm hitting up after I get my Shands paycheck next time. The store looks and sounds like some hot shit. :lol
Feep
Second-hand Citizen
(12-22-2008, 04:00 AM)

Originally Posted by MvmntInGrn

For some reason the thread name made me think you had a prototype Gamestop in Animal Crossing :lol

Interesting, looks pretty damn nice. How was the service? Most gamestops tend to be iffy to horrible in that area IMO.

Well, first off, I went into the store at about 9:20 PM. I used to be SURE that Gamestop closed at 9, so maybe they extended hours till 10...?

Anyway, it may be because it just opened, but even at 9:20, FIVE employees were in the store. I asked them some questions and they responded cordially, but of course, it wasn't very busy, and employee friendliness will vary from store to store.

Originally Posted by AzureJericho

Gainesville, FL you say? Well, I know where I'm hitting up after I get my Shands paycheck next time. The store looks and sounds like some hot shit. :lol

Keep in mind, this is the one on Archer, not the one in the mall. = D
Galactic Fork
A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
(12-22-2008, 04:01 AM)
Damn, I used to live in Gainesville. Is that the one on Archer? I might stop by when I'm in the area this week.

Edit: Heh, just answered it above. Did they turn the other Rhino on 13th into a gamestop too, or just close it?
yellowjacket
(12-22-2008, 04:03 AM)
Looks pretty cool. Seems a little over the top for a video game store though. I applaud them for trying to spice things up.

Im still not shopping there though.
Feep
Second-hand Citizen
(12-22-2008, 04:04 AM)

Originally Posted by Galactic Fork

Damn, I used to live in Gainesville. Is that the one on Archer? I might stop by when I'm in the area this week.

Edit: Heh, just answered it above. Did they turn the other Rhino on 13th into a gamestop too, or just close it?

There was a Rhino on 13th? O.o
Galactic Fork
A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
(12-22-2008, 04:06 AM)

There was a Rhino on 13th? O.o

Yeah, in the plaza with Wal-mart and Books A Million
templeusox
Banned
(12-22-2008, 04:06 AM)
I judge gaming stores by the rate at which they allow me to buy other people's pre-orders before they get a chance to pick them up.
dfyb
Banned
(12-22-2008, 04:13 AM)
looks cool. gamestop has potential to be great, but it's hard to put trust in them.
bounchfx
(12-22-2008, 04:14 AM)

I lol'd, however they are still technically new. tough shit.
dskillzhtown
keep your strippers out of my American football
(12-22-2008, 04:16 AM)
Guess this is what Gamestop was talking about when they were talking about re-designing stores and making them bigger. That store does look badass. Add a coffee/juice bar and they will have the ultimate gamer hangout.
dfyb
Banned
(12-22-2008, 04:17 AM)

Originally Posted by bounchfx

I lol'd, however they are still technically new. tough shit.

new, as in being tampered with and perhaps even played.
Azure J
(12-22-2008, 04:17 AM)

Keep in mind, this is the one on Archer, not the one in the mall. = D

Good to hear either way. Whenever I'm down there, I have to pass the one by Archer anyways for work.
dreamer3kx
(12-22-2008, 04:19 AM)
don't let your eyes deceive you, gamestop is the devil himself.
Router
Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
(12-22-2008, 04:20 AM)

[IMG]http://i44.************/2ihldft.jpg[/IMG]

Cone of silence? AWESOME!