• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

What happened to the good ole days, when education, skills, and experience were heavily emphasized and reemphasized exclusively?

These days, employers are looking for “energetic” and “upbeat” candidates, even for those jobs with non-existent client and customer relations/contact. What the hell for? As long as you can come to work (on time), not bitch/bicker, and do your goddamn job like you’re supposed to, the employer really shouldn’t ask for more.

“Yessum, sir! Let me do the happy dance in front of the entire department because your fat ass wife was kind enough to make cupcakes for us.”

“Why, Nintendosbooger, are you in a bad mood? Why else would you not want to go to lunch with us? Grouchy, grouchy…tsk tsk.” (Goes to tell the bosses that NB is a disgruntled employee).

These days, it’s all about being one big, happy, pretentious family. You don’t like it that way? GOODBYE!

Where’s the ACLU or any of the other useless minority groups that make a living complaining about shit like this? It’s obvious that the machine is trying to weed out candidates from unhappy, underprivileged backgrounds with all this “come to work upbeat and be social” nonsense.

A guy can't do his fucking job any more. He has to actually LOOK glad and participate in social BS with a bunch of monkeys that wouldn't earn so much as a second glance from any normal person on the street.
RubxQub
φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
(01-05-2009, 05:05 PM)
...what the fuck are you blathering about now?

Has anyone been fired from your place of work for not appearing happy? Do you know if anyone hasn't been hired for the same reason?

Like half the people in my office are annoying and sad all the time, and yet they all still have jobs. That is until I become the CEO. Than I'm fucking firing everyone who doesn't have a smile permanently tattoo'd on their face.
gdt
blow in her face and
she'll follow you anywhere
Werent you the guy with the casual friday problem?

Yeah.
grandjedi6
Master of the Google Search
you and your job threads :lol
Borgnine
MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
(01-05-2009, 05:06 PM)
You again?
agrajag
Banned
(01-05-2009, 05:07 PM)
Yeah, you pretty much come off as a complete dick. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone at your job hates your guts and spikes your coffee with Tabasco and urine

Originally Posted by RubxQub

Has anyone been fired from your place of work for not appearing happy? Do you know if anyone hasn't been hired for the same reason?

Like half the people in my office are annoying and sad all the time, and yet they all still have jobs. That is until I become the CEO. Than I'm fucking firing everyone who doesn't have a smile permanently tattoo'd on their face.

I'm not applying to your shitty job, then.
JDSN
Banned
(01-05-2009, 05:07 PM)
Cos only upbeat people get to go skiing with their bosses.
Baron Doggystyle von Woof
(01-05-2009, 05:08 PM)
RubxQub
(01-05-2009, 05:08 PM)

Originally Posted by NintendosBooger

I'm not applying to your shitty job, then.

Right, because only in my hypothetical situation are people actually not getting hired/fired for not being happy.
agrajag
Banned
(01-05-2009, 05:09 PM)
Where I work, it's company policy to make eye contact with other emplyees if you are within ten feet of approaching them and say hello in a friendly manner when within 5 feet. I haven't heard of anyone getting fired or reprimanded for not complying with that rule though.
commish
Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Thread seems like a cry for attention.
CharlieDigital
Banned
Because our emotions are contagious. One bad apple ruins the bunch, as they say.

See: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...865960,00.html
The Happiness Effect

In their most recent paper, published in the British Medical Journal, Christakis and Fowler explored the emotional state of nearly 5,000 people and the more than 50,000 social ties they shared. At three points during the long study, all the participants answered a standard questionnaire to determine their happiness level, so that the scientists could track changes in emotional state. That led to their intriguing finding of just how contagious happiness can be: if a subject's friend was happy, that subject was 15% more likely to be happy too; if that friend's friend was happy, the original subject was 10% more likely to be so. Even if the subject's friend's friend's friend--entirely unknown to the subject--was happy, the subject still got a 5.6% boost. The happiness chain also worked in the other direction, radiating from the subject out to her friends.
Also, no one wants to work with/for an asshole.
Exclamation-One
(01-05-2009, 05:11 PM)
NintendosBooger, post a picture of yourself.

Originally Posted by agrajag

Where I work, it's company policy to make eye contact with other emplyees if you are within ten feet of approaching them and say hello in a friendly manner when within 5 feet. I haven't heard of anyone getting fired or reprimanded for not complying with that rule though.

If it's policy, it means that it can be used against the employee.
grandjedi6
Master of the Google Search
(01-05-2009, 05:13 PM)

Originally Posted by CharlieDigital

Because our emotions are contagious. One bad apple ruins the bunch, as they say.

See: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...865960,00.html

The Happiness Effect

In their most recent paper, published in the British Medical Journal, Christakis and Fowler explored the emotional state of nearly 5,000 people and the more than 50,000 social ties they shared. At three points during the long study, all the participants answered a standard questionnaire to determine their happiness level, so that the scientists could track changes in emotional state. That led to their intriguing finding of just how contagious happiness can be: if a subject's friend was happy, that subject was 15% more likely to be happy too; if that friend's friend was happy, the original subject was 10% more likely to be so. Even if the subject's friend's friend's friend--entirely unknown to the subject--was happy, the subject still got a 5.6% boost. The happiness chain also worked in the other direction, radiating from the subject out to her friends.
Also, no one wants to work with/for an asshole.

If we accept that, can't we also accept the reverse? Which means NintendosBooger's unhappiness is making me 10-15% less happy. Stop taking away my happiness NintendosBooger! [IMG]http://i42.************/208abza.gif[/IMG]
RubxQub
(01-05-2009, 05:13 PM)

Has anyone been fired or not hired for not being happy at your place of employment?

This is the only question/answer that matters if this thread is to be taken seriously.
fallengorn
Bitches love smiley faces
(01-05-2009, 05:14 PM)
I guess someone didn't get invited to the ski trip.
gdt
blow in her face and
she'll follow you anywhere
(01-05-2009, 05:15 PM)
Oh and in light of your work threads-

You have the perfect avatar.
agrajag
Banned
(01-05-2009, 05:15 PM)

I've never seen/heard of anyone going to HR and complaining that someone didn't say hi to them in the hall. I suppose it's possible. We've had meetings where one of the key points was being friendlier to our coworkers though.
AVclub
(01-05-2009, 05:16 PM)
Anti-social is not a quality people look for when putting a team together. An office environment is a team of people who must work well together. Studies have shown that people who like each other get things done more efficiently than people who don't. So if you're acting like you hate everyone, it is a problem.

Employers aren't looking for the next guy who'll snap and shoot up their office because you can bet when that happens that people will point to the one who hired him.

I suggest quitting and allowing someone who likes your office better than you a chance to work there. You'll then be free to spend your time yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off your lawn.
Relix
he's Virgin Tight™
(01-05-2009, 05:18 PM)
Guess the CEO skiing didn't go well.
JayDubya
Banned
(01-05-2009, 05:18 PM)
This is a "forum character."
AndresON777
shooting blanks
(01-05-2009, 05:19 PM)

Has anyone been fired or not hired for not being happy at your place of employment?

This is the only question/answer that matters if this thread is to be taken seriously.

Still if you're sick or something and need to get a day off of work the happy/smiley people always get better treatment.

You have to kiss ass a lot and be happy, it's politics everywhere. I wish we could just be like robots and not have to show our emotions or get along with coworkers. It's not just about the job you do, it's how you interact socially with your boss and coworkers.

it's bs but that's the way it is.

I always get discriminated for not going to company parties but getting drunk with my coworkers/bosses is not my idea of fun.

lol
Cheeto
(01-05-2009, 05:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Relix

Guess the CEO skiing didn't go well.

:lol
Full Recovery
(01-05-2009, 05:22 PM)
nobody wants a Debby downer at work.

Originally Posted by AVclub

Anti-social is not a quality people look for when putting a team together. An office environment is a team of people who must work well together. Studies have shown that people who like each other get things done more efficiently than people who don't. So if you're acting like you hate everyone, it is a problem.

What studies, exactly? How does me liking or not liking a co-worker going to affect the speed and quality in which I finish my assignment? If you mean helping someone else out with a task that was assigned to them, I'm sure you're right. I've not helped anyone with their assignments simply because it's their responsibility and I'm not going to be doing someone else's job for them, no matter how backed up they are. Here's some advice: Stop spending your work hours on Facebook and do what you're paid to do.
RubxQub
(01-05-2009, 05:23 PM)

What studies, exactly? How does me liking or not liking a co-worker going to affect the speed and quality in which I finish my assignment? If you mean helping someone else out with a task that was assigned to them, I'm sure you're right. I've not helped anyone with their assignments simply because it's their responsibility and I'm not going to be doing someone else's job for them, no matter how backed up they are. Here's some advice: Stop spending your work hours on Facebook and do what you're paid to do.

Has anyone been fired or not hired for not being considered a happy person at your place of work?
Az
(01-05-2009, 05:24 PM)
yayy NintendosBooger is back... hope the backfire on this thread gets me though the day...

ski trip mentioned... Check!
Bums in laundy rooms... next

Originally Posted by ChrisGoldstein

Still if you're sick or something and need to get a day off of work the happy/smiley people always get better treatment.

You have to kiss ass a lot and be happy, it's politics everywhere. I wish we could just be like robots and not have to show our emotions or get along with coworkers. It's not just about the job you do, it's how you interact socially with your boss and coworkers.

it's bs but that's the way it is.

I always get discriminated for not going to company parties but getting drunk with my coworkers/bosses is not my idea of fun.

lol

Preach, brother.
Relix
he's Virgin Tight™
(01-05-2009, 05:25 PM)

Dude I need to say this. You come out as a Grade A asshole. Hell, even reading your posts makes me NOT ever want to work with you. The worst kind of partner to work with is your type. Being nice and happy makes for a great working atmosphere. You on the other hand look like you got a 12 inch dick up your ass. You are like the needle that won't get out to the other people and many will not feel good with your presence around or even feel nervous. Yep, people get nervous when they have people like you around. Kinda damages the dynamic the corp wants to settle. I have 7 employees under my wing, and they better be a shining beacon of smiles. Of course you can have your bad days, but every single fucking day?
Tom Penny
(01-05-2009, 05:28 PM)
I agree with the OP. I got fired for not being happy at work.
Xapati
(01-05-2009, 05:32 PM)
eznark
Banned
(01-05-2009, 05:34 PM)
I'm pretty sure OP would be the worst co-worker ever, based on his posts.

How did that skiing trip with the boss go?
Blackjack
(01-05-2009, 05:34 PM)
People would rather deal with a happy person than an asshole.

SHOCKING.
Relix
he's Virgin Tight™
(01-05-2009, 05:38 PM)
I missed the hobo one...

:lol :lol :lol

I am feeling bad for the guy
Blackjack
(01-05-2009, 05:41 PM)
I'm pretty sure this guy's just a troll/joke poster.

But fuck if I care, he's hilarious. :lol

Originally Posted by agrajag

Some of this guy's other marvelous work threads:

It started innocently enough - "Can I leave work early?"

Then he got laid off and became bitter

Not one to give up, Nintendosbooger made many friends at his new job

As a bonus:

Nintendosbooger condescendingly asks a hobo to watch his clothes, clothes get stolen

Honestly? Only a loser would take the time to sift through a bunch of old threads and insert them into a non-related topic. You and that creep who asked to see my picture earlier in this thread must be brothers.
agrajag
Banned
(01-05-2009, 05:46 PM)

Honestly? Only a loser would take the time to sift through a bunch of old threads and insert them into a non-related topic. You and that creep who asked to see my picture earlier in this thread must be brothers.

I clicked your name --> "view all threads stared by nintendosbooger" and all the threads I linked to were right there. Took all of one minute to link them and post them. OH NOES!

You, on the other hand, are a grade A douchebag who can't seem to get along with anyone you work with. Nice job.
jax (old)
Banned
(01-05-2009, 05:48 PM)
I agree that NB comes across as a douchebag

LOL just LOL
Ceres
(01-05-2009, 05:48 PM)

Originally Posted by gdt5016

Werent you the guy with the casual friday problem?

Yeah.

That's the first thing that came to mind. Guess the suit isn't working out in getting him rubbing elbows with the bigwigs on skiing trips this winter.

Edit: And wow at the bum thread. It's like he asked for it with the condescending .50 and followup remark. Even if these are all a part of his character, it's just way too funny to care if it's real or not.
Last edited by Ceres; 01-05-2009 at 05:57 PM.
adamsappel
(01-05-2009, 05:49 PM)

Originally Posted by JayDubya

This is a "forum character."

You give him too much credit.
Dr. Strangelove
I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
(01-05-2009, 05:51 PM)
Well at least they didn't try to steal your stylish business clothes that you wear on casual Fridays.
Relix
he's Virgin Tight™
(01-05-2009, 05:51 PM)

Yes, because you are a winner right? You are a wanna be leader with great standards? Well guess what, you fail.

Escape Goat
(01-05-2009, 05:54 PM)

My brother's first review at Delta said he was not personable in the morning. That was the only negative thing they listed for him. :lol
sullyj
(01-05-2009, 05:54 PM)
You sound like a real dickhole.
JzeroT1437
(01-05-2009, 05:57 PM)
You're George Costanza (but I agree with you).
joeblackisback
(01-05-2009, 06:01 PM)
haha oh man, you're completely unlikeable. You better pray you're ridiculously good looking
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(01-05-2009, 06:02 PM)

When are you going to realize that the problem may in fact be you?

The sooner you do, the sooner you will be able to address it and make it better.