• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS3 HDD Upgrade Thread (2009 Edition)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yep, I manually backed up my saves to my PC a few days ago, before my HDD even arrived. All except my DMC4 save, strangely enough.

Kccitystar

Thrakier said:
I made a complete backup from my HDD, bought a new PS3, installed the backup and - all my savegames are gone!!!!!!!!! Why!?? I backed some of them up seperatly, but for example LBP tells me, that my data is from "another user" and that I can not get any trophys with it. All my levels I build are in this data! WTF!??? This is a nightmare!

I know its' a long shot but

sync trophy data
backup data
deactivate the old PS3 from your account
activate new PS3 on your account
restore data on new ps3

see if that works

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Ok, I tried my iPod but it was about 6.7gigs too small. I guess I'll try to borrow and external hard drive from a friend some time, probably not until the summer though. =\

Mejilan

The key is to keep your saves and DLC, right? Those are the pains in the ass to replace (assuming you have tons of DLC).
Installing a couple games from a disc? Trivial.

LiK

Mejilan said:
The key is to keep your saves and DLC, right? Those are the pains in the ass to replace (assuming you have tons of DLC).
Installing a couple games from a disc? Trivial.

i dont need to worry about manually saving my PS1/PS2 saves right? it's included with the backup process?

Mejilan

I play my PSOne games on my PSP, and PS2 games off my PS2's HDD, so I wouldn't know. But some folks in this very thread posted that their PSOne and PS2 virtual memory cards were missed. I'd back those up manually to a thumb drive or some equivalent. Seems that's the only thing that the backup utility misses.

LiK

Mejilan said:
I play my PSOne games on my PSP, and PS2 games off my PS2's HDD, so I wouldn't know. But some folks in this very thread posted that their PSOne and PS2 virtual memory cards were missed. I'd back those up manually to a thumb drive or some equivalent. Seems that's the only thing that the backup utility misses.

okay, i shall do that when the time comes. just in case.

Mejilan

I manually backed up all of my PS3 saves to my PC before using the backup utility, using a little thumb drive. Just in case. Moderately tedious but also painless.

Thrakier

Kccitystar said:
I know its' a long shot but

sync trophy data
backup data
deactivate the old PS3 from your account
activate new PS3 on your account
restore data on new ps3

see if that works

My savegames are back, but the trophies are not working anymore. For example, LBP tells me that I can play with this save, but I can not get any trophies. In resistance 2 I lost all my stats and level progression.

:(

Thrakier

If I go back to my old console and let it repair and use the backup I made before will e verything work like before or will it be screwed because I already restored this data on another PS3?

Thrakier

But other than that it will be fine? I'll have my R2 stats back and I can get LBP trophys again? I mean, th e backup worked fine (but all my trophies are gone, they are in my profile though) but I can not test the savegames because my PS3 doesn#t read any disks. So I don't know if it's really working.

Dizzle24

Mejilan said:
Yep, I manually backed up my saves to my PC a few days ago, before my HDD even arrived. All except my DMC4 save, strangely enough.

Is it because the save file is "locked"..? because as much as I love DMC.. .I am not replaying 70+ hours just because Capcom thinks we are going to auction off our save files.:lol and feels the need to put handcuffs on them.

gcubed

Thrakier said:
But other than that it will be fine? I'll have my R2 stats back and I can get LBP trophys again? I mean, th e backup worked fine (but all my trophies are gone, they are in my profile though) but I can not test the savegames because my PS3 doesn#t read any disks. So I don't know if it's really working.

i just replaced consoles recently and didnt do a back up after hearing it only restores saves, etc so i didnt run into the problems you did, you should be able to move saves, i had no problem.

I copied all my saves to a usb drive, and then copied them back to my new ps3 (you cant copy a few games that are copy protected, but for me that was only Rock Band and Locoroco).

I clicked on my trophy icon and it took about 20 minutes, resynced and all was well. I've also encountered where my trophy info was blank but my profile still had it, to get them back then all you have to do is start the game, and it should show back up again in your list.

I had no problems copying over my LBP saves or my R2 saves to a new console, both started up fine with all the data in them and I had no errors.

i DIDNT do a backup and restore though to a new console, just moved over my saves and redownloaded everything (because you have to anyway)

LiK

Dizzle24 said:
Is it because the save file is "locked"..? because as much as I love DMC.. .I am not replaying 70+ hours just because Capcom thinks we are going to auction off our save files.:lol and feels the need to put handcuffs on them.

this only applies to moving to a different PS3 right? do i need to worry about moving my copy-protected saves from one HDD to another?

Thrakier

gcubed said:
i just replaced consoles recently and didnt do a back up after hearing it only restores saves, etc so i didnt run into the problems you did, you should be able to move saves, i had no problem.

I copied all my saves to a usb drive, and then copied them back to my new ps3 (you cant copy a few games that are copy protected, but for me that was only Rock Band and Locoroco).

I clicked on my trophy icon and it took about 20 minutes, resynced and all was well. I've also encountered where my trophy info was blank but my profile still had it, to get them back then all you have to do is start the game, and it should show back up again in your list.

I had no problems copying over my LBP saves or my R2 saves to a new console, both started up fine with all the data in them and I had no errors.

i DIDNT do a backup and restore though to a new console, just moved over my saves and redownloaded everything (because you have to anyway)

I tried to do it manually and I still get the same error in LBP. "This is not your save file, you can play it but you can't unlock trophies". I don't know why. I'm logged in with my user profile, my PS3 is activated etc. pp. ...it's not working anymore. Same for R2.

gcubed

LiK said:
this only applies to moving to a different PS3 right? do i need to worry about moving my copy-protected saves from one HDD to another?

nope, backup/restore works perfectly on the same machine to new hard drives.

That interesting about the save file, i dont know why you are getting that issue, i assume you are trying to play it on the same exact PSN user?

Crisis

Banned
Hey guys. I have an older 4200 RPM hard drive from an older laptop that I came into by chance somehow. It's an SATA 1.5 hard drive and all of that and it has a fair bit more space than my current PS3 hard drive. Would a 4200 RPM drive significantly impact the speed that the PS3 loads games at? Should I swap out the hard drives?

Crisis said:
Hey guys. I have an older 4200 RPM hard drive from an older laptop that I came into by chance somehow. It's an SATA 1.5 hard drive and all of that and it has a fair bit more space than my current PS3 hard drive. Would a 4200 RPM drive significantly impact the speed that the PS3 loads games at? Should I swap out the hard drives?

I wouldn't recommend it. Seek times are going to take a significant hit and you likely will have much less cache on the 4200rpm drive.

(Are there really 2.5" 4200rpm drives?! Wow.)

Just ordered my 500GB WD Scorpio and an enclosure. Should arrive early next week.

I've already got the PS3 software update on a thumbdrive and will probably back up all of my saves onto the same drive once I get home. I'll be backing up my data onto my external HD sometime this weekend before the drive arrives as I'll be playing up until the drive arrives.

Crisis

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
I wouldn't recommend it. Seek times are going to take a significant hit and you likely will have much less cache on the 4200rpm drive.

(Are there really 2.5" 4200rpm drives?! Wow.)

Yeah there are 2.5" 4200 drives. Like I said it's from an older laptop. Thanks for the advice though!

sajj316

Auron_Kale said:
Just ordered my 500GB WD Scorpio and an enclosure. Should arrive early next week.

I've already got the PS3 software update on a thumbdrive and will probably back up all of my saves onto the same drive once I get home. I'll be backing up my data onto my external HD sometime this weekend before the drive arrives as I'll be playing up until the drive arrives.

Good point on getting the firmware onto the thumb drive. Need to do that!

LiK

Auron_Kale said:

cool, if you're lucky, you should get it tomorrow :)

ithorien

Thrakier said:
I tried to do it manually and I still get the same error in LBP. "This is not your save file, you can play it but you can't unlock trophies". I don't know why. I'm logged in with my user profile, my PS3 is activated etc. pp. ...it's not working anymore. Same for R2.

Sony clearly states on their FAQ page for HDD backup that your backup DOES NOT work on a different console.

Unfortunately, backup utility is meant to be used when you're swapping HDDs on your one console only.

Thrakier

gcubed said:
nope, backup/restore works perfectly on the same machine to new hard drives.

That interesting about the save file, i dont know why you are getting that issue, i assume you are trying to play it on the same exact PSN user?

Of course, it's the same login, the machine is activated, the old on deactivated...this whole system is BROKEN.

gcubed

Thrakier said:
Of course, it's the same login, the machine is activated, the old on deactivated...this whole system is BROKEN.

have you tried formatting your new hard drive again, restoring to default, going back to your old ps3, manually copying the saves off of it and copying them onto the new ps3?

This assumes you have access to your old one

paparazzo

Thrakier said:
That's a joke. My PS3 broke! So I loose all my stuff!? All my LBP-trophies, my levels, hours and hours of gameplay, leveling in R2 etc.! Seriously? If this is real I'm thinking about selling the console and that's it for me.
Your trophies aren't lost. Sign in to your PSN account on your PS3 and go to trophies under the Game tab, press triangle and press x to sync with the server.

gcubed

The Skater said:
Your trophies aren't lost. Sign in to your PSN account on your PS3 and go to trophies under the Game tab, press triangle and press x to sync with the server.

that doesnt always work, its a half and halfer, sometimes you need to actually start the game up and it will place itself in there then.

ithorien

gcubed said:
that doesnt always work, its a half and halfer, sometimes you need to actually start the game up and it will place itself in there then.

It's quite screwed up. You'd think in this day and age, Sony would have it setup so that your trophies get stored on a server unconditionally.

gcubed

ithorien said:
It's quite screwed up. You'd think in this day and age, Sony would have it setup so that your trophies get stored on a server unconditionally.

well your trophies are there, no matter what it says in your "Trophy Collection" section of the XMB, your trophies are always in your profile and accessible to all others, i think it's a bug of the firmware that it doesnt always retrieve the trophy information from the server and populate your machine

PuMa

Sooo I just tried installing my new 320 gb hard drive.... and of course nothing is ever as simple as it should be for me. I guess that's just my luck. Anywho, I did a backup to an external hd (formatted to fat32), and everything was going fine. Next, I swapped my hard drives and tried to perform the restore from my backup data and I keep getting a message saying that there is no backup data. This message comes up after selecting my external hard drive and the supposed backup file from the ps3 menu. After several tries, I swapped the ps3 hard drives and tried the backup utility again. Did the swap and ran the restore....same message. What gives???! Any have this happen before? I was really hoping this was going to be an easy process, but of course there are always problems. :-(

sajj316

PuMa said:
Sooo I just tried installing my new 320 gb hard drive.... and of course nothing is ever as simple as it should be for me. I guess that's just my luck. Anywho, I did a backup to an external hd (formatted to fat32), and everything was going fine. Next, I swapped my hard drives and tried to perform the restore from my backup data and I keep getting a message saying that there is no backup data. This message comes up after selecting my external hard drive and the supposed backup file from the ps3 menu. After several tries, I swapped the ps3 hard drives and tried the backup utility again. Did the swap and ran the restore....same message. What gives???! Any have this happen before? I was really hoping this was going to be an easy process, but of course there are always problems. :-(

doing the backup now ... so I'll let you know if I hit the same problem. Sorry to here about your issues

PuMa

sajj316 said:
doing the backup now ... so I'll let you know if I hit the same problem. Sorry to here about your issues

Thanks. My speculation is that it may be my external HD, but that's only because I have no idea what else it could be...

Crisis said:
Yeah there are 2.5" 4200 drives. Like I said it's from an older laptop. Thanks for the advice though!

No worries. I was a bit surprised since the 1.8" 4200 drive on my laptop might as well be covered in molasses, it's so slow. :lol

Anyway, as I recall various games have had performance problems with low-cache drives - even the old 20GB PS3 - and I think it's a pretty good bet that a 2.5" 4200rpm drive would be lacking in that category. Probably best to stick with something a bit newer.

Top Bottom