• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Conduit Discussion Thread (Videos + Other Media)

Eteric Rice

AceBandage said:
Well, like HVS said, you don't need to trade game specific codes for this game.
You can just use their Wii code. Or add friends of friends.
I just wish they had a "challenge mode" like Guitar Hero has.

Wait, if games can just go off of Wii codes... Why don't all third parties do this?...

markatisu

Eteric Rice said:
Wait, if games can just go off of Wii codes... Why don't all third parties do this?...

Too lazy I guess, I think you have to get approval from Nintendo and most do not want to deal with that. Its the primary reason EA just utilized their EA Nation login.

In a Jan podcast IGN mentioned that HVS realized you did not have to use Friend Codes but had to talk with Nintendo about it.

Yeah, it's sad that a small independent group can do something that the big boys can't...
That it, actually have a conversation with Nintendo.

pakkit

Banned
There is a stupid 100 code limit for Wii codes, though. I'm not sure if it's laziness, it's just probably not a widely-broadcasted feature. Nintendo doesn't even use their Wii codes in most online games, so unless you specifically asked about that, I doubt Nintendo would have said anything about it.

bdouble

yes I knew FC weren't required. Makes me think about what my dream Nintendo announcement at E3 would be. A Wii channel with a NintendoID login. This of course is accompanied by developer APIs in which to integrate this login into their games (so its like a universal EA Nation). Use the optional Nintendo ID to log in on any Wifi connect game. If you don't log in it acts the same as it does now. No voice chat, no open communication and only random matches. With it you get a friends list viewable on the main menu and ability to send invites and what not. Hell they could even charge for the channel.

Scrubking

Conduit E3 Booth

3576708359_f74aaca42f.jpg

3576708385_6a7a4dd469.jpg

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/05/29/the-conduit-at-e3-preview/

J-Rock

Banned
Here are a few impressions from Gaf members that played this at E3:

All im going to say about it is that having been keeping up with this game i was still SUPER impressed at how this game actually looks in person. The internet media doesnt really convey HV accomplishment here. I will now buy no doubt.

The controls on default were very intuitive out the gate, moreso than Metroid Prime 3. They really did their homework on the controls and I enjoyed it. Felt kinda sluggish, but satisfying as I got better. The demo threw you into level 7 of all things and I got rocked hard the first time I played it.

I was very uh, skeptical, of the game to put it in a pleasant way, when I first saw it, but I left the booth impressed. Each kiosk was connected and every person was playing another in a mode called Bounty Hunter. You're given a mark to kill, and if you kill anyone else, it's negative points against you, but if you kill your mark, you gain points. Meanwhile, you're someone else's mark (you can attack back and it doesn't count against you if you kill that person), so you're being hunted while you hunt. The game will support up to 12 people online, and it's pretty much done. The team is also pretty damn young and enthusiastic. One of the guys behind The Conduit told me they have about five games going on right now, and we agreed that he really can't say anything about them. The game controls really well, and you can adjust the sensitivity as you play, apparently (though I didn't). The sensitivity levels were a little off from what I remembered of Metroid Prime 3, but the game was pretty fluid otherwise. I didn't play the single player. It seemed to get some pretty positive impressions from everyone who played while I stuck around there. I was certainly impressed.

link

ONM full review scans are out in the wild. 76%

"Nowhere near classic status, but this is a welcome companion to Metroid Prime: Corruption"

Eteric Rice

markatisu said:
Too lazy I guess, I think you have to get approval from Nintendo and most do not want to deal with that. Its the primary reason EA just utilized their EA Nation login.

In a Jan podcast IGN mentioned that HVS realized you did not have to use Friend Codes but had to talk with Nintendo about it.

So you can use the Wii's code instead of having to use the code of each person on each individual game?

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!!!!

KevinCow

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
So you can use the Wii's code instead of having to use the code of each person on each individual game?

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!!!!
But... that's a good thing, right?

EDarkness

Saint10118 said:

"Nowhere near classic status, but this is a welcome companion to Metroid Prime: Corruption"

Decent review. About what we expected from it. Can't wait to play it, though. The Wii needs more games like this. Hopefully enough people will pick up the game so we don't have to wait forever to get games online.

Arde5643

Saint10118 said:

What's the word on multiplayer?

Since that's pretty much what most GAffers care for their FPS fix.

Scrubking

Saint10118 said:

Apart form the bad writing, the fact that they never mention one of the game's greatest strength's - total customization of the controls - and then proceed to complain about the grenade controls makes you wonder if they played the game for more than 5 minutes.

Eteric Rice

KevinCow said:
But... that's a good thing, right?

Yeah it would be IF OTHER DEVELOPERS WOULD DO IT FUUUUUUCK.

This is the first I've ever heard of ANYONE doing this! It would solve one of the big issues with the Wii's online (friend codes for every game is fail).

Someone needs to confront Nintendo and tell them to let 3rd parties do it. That would be another of the Wii's issues solved.

KevinCow

Banned
Scrubking said:
Apart form the bad writing, the fact that they never mention one of the game's greatest strength's - total customization of the controls - and then proceed to complain about the grenade controls makes you wonder if they played the game for more than 5 minutes.
Oh, don't do that. They gave it a good score and said they liked it.

Eteric Rice said:

This is the first I've ever heard of ANYONE doing this! It would solve one of the big issues with the Wii's online (friend codes for every game is fail).

Someone needs to confront Nintendo and tell them to let 3rd parties do it. That would be another of the Wii's issues solved.
Ah, I see.

Yeah, that is pretty messed up. Dunno why they haven't been doing that from the start.

MotherFan

Saint10118 said:

It's fake, the release date is wrong and it is missing the wi-fi mark they put next to the title for wi-fi enabled games.

They say release is June 12th.

Eteric Rice

KevinCow said:
Oh, don't do that. They gave it a good score and said they liked it.

Ah, I see.

Yeah, that is pretty messed up. Dunno why they haven't been doing that from the start.

I dunno, I wish someone would make a thread about this. I can't myself, they took away my privilages one night after I got a little crazy in the OT. >_<

Fantastical

Death Prophet
MotherFan said:
It's fake, the release date is wrong and it is missing the wi-fi mark they put next to the title for wi-fi enabled games.

They say release is June 12th.
Are you sure? I saw some people saying that they had already read this in the magazine. It looks real to me.

MotherFan

Fantastical said:
Are you sure? I saw some people saying that they had already read this in the magazine. It looks real to me.

Well, then maybe it is if they read it. But why would they get the release day wrong?

bdouble

Eteric all of EAs games have bypassed friend codes and instead hat EA nation. We've known that deva diane have to use them for a while

I hope all the HVS guys are enjoying this attention and their special E3 booth because if this game bombs no publisher is going to want a piece of them and they'll be back to making Nicktoons games for THQ.

Eteric Rice

bdouble said:
Eteric all of EAs games have bypassed friend codes and instead hat EA nation. We've known that deva diane have to use them for a while

Yeah, but if they had allowed this, they wouldn't need different services for every different company. They could just go with the 1 friend code thing.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
bdouble said:
But that's different than what the Conduit's doing. I like the Conduit's solution better.

BrodiemanTTR said:
I hope all the HVS guys are enjoying this attention and their special E3 booth because if this game bombs no publisher is going to want a piece of them and they'll be back to making Nicktoons games for THQ.
Harsh but probably true.

botticus

Eteric Rice said:

While it's not used for multiplayer specifically, MP3 and Big Brain Academy (maybe others - does MK use it for setting up invitatations?) used the Wii code for their Wi-Fi components. I don't know why this isn't standard even amongst first-party games.

Has it been confirmed since January that they are using the Wii code for multiplayer?

MotherFan

botticus said:
While it's not used for multiplayer specifically, MP3 and Big Brain Academy (maybe others - does MK use it for setting up invitatations?) used the Wii code for their Wi-Fi components. I don't know why this isn't standard even amongst first-party games.

Has it been confirmed since January that they are using the Wii code for multiplayer?

I think there is a random system in place too, something like CoD?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Vagabundo said:
Fuck Sake...

Lazy ass 3rd parties..

not HVS, thanks for taking the effort lads..
now now. it's not like HVS is the first dev to use wii-system-wide-FCs in their game.

scitek

BrodiemanTTR said:

Agreed. Just like Clover only got to make one game before folding.

tabsina

Wait.. if they could use system friend codes.. why does smash bros and mario kart not do this?! It's not like THEY needed approval from nintendo

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
MotherFan said:
Lol. I would say under 400K IMO.

Well the other qualifier is, in what time frame? How much does it need to sell in the first month or in the first three months or by the end of the year?

If it sells 100,000, that would most likely put it in the top 5 highest-selling Wii games of the month. It would likely make the top 10 overall for the month, actually. So just 100k in the first month would be a fantastic success for this game.

Then I'd say if it sells 200,000 in the first three months and 500,000 by the end of the year, it's definitely not a bomb. It would be one of the highest-selling third-party Wii games in a six-month timeframe.

If it sells significantly less, let's say less than 50k in the first month, less than 100k in its first three months and less than 150k by the end of the year, then yeah, it bombed.

One more thing to keep in mind: It comes out on June 23rd, so it'll only have about a week on the market before the June NPD ends. (I'm not exactly sure when it does end, but roughly, Conduit will have a week.)

bdouble said:
That's because EA uses their own system and servers. The Conduit is using Nintendo's system and still doesn't use FCs but the WiiCode.

botticus said:

MP3 and BBA only have WFC24 functionality, never had any game use more than the WiiCode for that.

There's stuff like that in MK, but it still generates an additional FC, the way I understood IGN the Conduit only uses WiiCodes and does not generate an FC.

Penguin

tabsina said:
Wait.. if they could use system friend codes.. why does smash bros and mario kart not do this?! It's not like THEY needed approval from nintendo

I thought Mario Kart did something like this, where you could send invites to people on their Wii console and they could just accept it?

markatisu

BrodiemanTTR said:

Those Nicktoon/licensed games are what is solely responsible for making The Conduit, Grinder, Gladiator, and their WiiWare games so I do not think they would face a fate similar to Clover.

Who is going to shut them down? Themselves?

As for the bomb question, I am almost 100% sure unless it does more than 300k the first month GAF will label it a bomb and give massive gifs and LOLOL all around.

It will also be compared to KZ2, Halo 3, Gears of War and every single other super high budgeted Mature game to show how the Wii is an utter shitfest for developers.

Then in 6 months - 1 year when it passes 800k-1m like a lot of high profile Wii games do it will be disqualified as not having sold fast enough, having a price drop, or some other reason from the list GAF has saved.

PusherT

Well I did my part I went to Gamespot yesterday and put down $20 on the Conduit pre-order. I think gamespot has a Conduit limited edition set. I hope they also do those Gamestop commercial for the conduit showing off the LE. I hope this game does 100K+ first month it think it will do about 400K that would a great success IMO.

pakkit

Banned
Generic shooter is generic.

It's also mine day 1, multiplayin', customizin' (I'm going for no HUD, dunno bout you guys), and shooting hackneyed alien mofos.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
markatisu said:
Those Nicktoon/licensed games are what is solely responsible for making The Conduit, Grinder, Gladiator, and their WiiWare games so I do not think they would face a fate similar to Clover.

Who is going to shut them down? Themselves?

As for the bomb question, I am almost 100% sure unless it does more than 300k the first month GAF will label it a bomb and give massive gifs and LOLOL all around.

It will also be compared to KZ2, Halo 3, Gears of War and every single other super high budgeted Mature game to show how the Wii is an utter shitfest for developers.

Then in 6 months - 1 year when it passes 800k-1m like a lot of high profile Wii games do it will be disqualified as not having sold fast enough, having a price drop, or some other reason from the list GAF has saved.
Not to mention that the Conduit's budget is WAY less than the other games listed.

Jon

PusherT said:
Well I did my part I went to Gamespot yesterday and put down $20 on the Conduit pre-order. I think gamespot has a Conduit limited edition set. I hope they also do those Gamestop commercial for the conduit showing off the LE. I hope this game does 100K+ first month it think it will do about 400K that would a great success IMO.

I think you are dead on. I think it would be a miracle for this game to sell more than 100K in the first month, but I think it will end up getting to 400-500K by the end of the year. I would love to be completely wrong however, and have the game actually become a Mario-level success.

markatisu said:

Are.. are you from the future?

Top Bottom