• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming PS3 Firmware (v2.60) Update

old?

Hi, everyone, we have a system software updates for PS3 coming soon, and I wanted to provide you with a sneak peak at the details.

The PS3 firmware update (v2.60) is designed primarily to enhance the system’s media capabilities. The key feature is a new Photo Gallery application, which delivers a suite of tools for sorting through and displaying your digital photo collection. Digital pictures can be organized in groups according to various criteria, including the camera used to take the photos, the event date and time, colors in the photos, as well as the number, ages, or facial expressions of the people pictured. You can also create slideshows set to music and build photo playlists with an easy-to-use interface. The Photo Gallery application will need to be installed separately from the XMB after you update your PS3’s firmware. To install the Photo Gallery application, go to the Photo section on the XMB, select Photo Gallery and press the X button.

The 2.60 update also includes:

* Guest access to PlayStation Store – This enables non-PlayStation Network members to browse through the storefront to check out the latest games, demos, videos, etc.
* DivX 3.11 support – Videos in this format can now be played on PS3.

Here’s a video walk-through of firmware 2.60 that shows off some of what the Photo Gallery can do.

Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/01/20/upcoming-ps3-firmware-v260-update/

stawnkald

Gold Member
The guest store access thing is kinda cool if you don't want to log into PSN to check it out when it updates.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
DivX 3.11? Now that's interesting, since that codec was just a hacked version of MS's MP4 codec. It's always been a 100% illegal codec, and supporting it officially is basically telling the world that it's ok to watch pirated movies on the PS3.
Good old bipolar Sony, but I'm sure MKV will be much more difficult to support officially since it's in direct opposition with blu-ray.

Quasar

Divx 3.11? wow I never thought I'd see that.

Of course I would prefer mkv or wmv. Or some lossless audio format (I'd prefer alac, but flac would be good too).

Blimblim said:
DivX 3.11? Now that's interesting, since that codec was just a hacked version of MS's MP4 codec. It's always been a 100% illegal codec, and supporting it officially is basically telling the world that it's ok to watch pirated movies on the PS3.
wow, really?

oneHeero

OMG SONY ANOTHER UPDATE?!?!?! I HATE UPDATING MY PS3 WITH THESE CHEAP FEATURES OMG I HATE IT SO MUCH I CANT STAND THAT EVERYTIME I TURN ON MY PS3 THERE IS A 30MIN UPDATE. B LIKE MS SONY, DONT BIG UPDATES ONRY!!!!!

ARGH!! NOOOOOO!1

AndyD

aka andydumi
Blimblim said:
Good old bipolar Sony, but I'm sure MKV will be much more difficult to support officially since it's in direct opposition with blu-ray.

mkv is in new Divx 7. So its a matter of time. But it will come.

Quasar

Blimblim said:

Is it? If anything I'd see it as in competition with mp4. It is just a container.

AndyD

aka andydumi
oneHeero said:
OMG SONY ANOTHER UPDATE?!?!?! I HATE UPDATING MY PS3 WITH THESE CHEAP FEATURES OMG I HATE IT SO MUCH I CANT STAND THAT EVERYTIME I TURN ON MY PS3 THERE IS A 30MIN UPDATE. B LIKE MS SONY, DONT BIG UPDATES ONRY!!!!!

ARGH!! NOOOOOO!1

LOL, meltdown already, so early in the thread.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Quasar said:
Is it? If anything I'd see it as in competition with mp4. It is just a container.
Of course, but mkv is the defacto standard for pirated HD movies. Mp4 are now a bit more available because it works with the PS3, but MKV still reigns.

It's great that they're adding new stuff, but it's useless stuff. I want PSN features, not the shitty ability to view the store without a PSN account.

epmode

oneHeero said:

ARGH!! NOOOOOO!1
It helps to post garbage like this AFTER someone complains about it in the first place.

Dunlop

* DivX 3.11 support – Videos in this format can now be played on PS3

Will this help the PS3 at least play the same files that 60 currently does? I want TVersity gone and while PS3 media server seemed awesome, it just stopped working. I'm sure a reinstall will fix but I'm tired of doing all this "work" for my PS3.

/runs to lookup what the hell 3.11 is

I can't watch the PS Blog vid while at work but the Photo Gallery sounds interesting and perhaps useful since I store a crap load of photos on my PS3.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I hope this includes the underlying stuff for multi account login. Someone rumored it was coming very soon.

They always seem to add underlying features to test them before they become public...

Dunlop said:
Will this help the PS3 at least play the same files that 60 currently does? I want TVersity gone and while PS3 media server seemed awesome, it just stopped working. I'm sure a reinstall will fix but I'm tired of doing all this "work" for my PS3.

/runs to lookup what the hell 3.11 is

It was fixed in the latest version. It was an issue where it would work fine until you restarted your computer. Then you needed a reinstall. Its fine now. And new and improved too, with extra support and features.

Oddly enough, the PS3's photo/slideshow features are something i've never used, ever. I hope there are enough "hidden" features in this one to get me excited.

Dizzle24

Who uses the PS3 as a picture library? :lol

The only pics I have on my PS3 are wallpapers.

What a waste of firmware!

lubczyk

Banned
Divx 3.11? What the hell? I can encode a 2-hour 720p movie into x264 in less than 1 hour and 20 minutes, Why in the world anyone use DivX? Even DivX 7 is painfully slow compared to x264.

Also, how about *** **** Universal Overscan Compensation? My HDTV overscans at 5% and I always have to add black borders in avisynth for my movies, so that my TV doesn't cut off subtitles.

Alos, MKV and OGG/OGM support would be nice as well as WMV Lossless.

Lastly, how about PS2 BC as mentioned above?

_RT_

I wish the PS3 could work a little better with NAS HD's.
I'd get a lot more use out of the picture and music player.

h3ro

I just hope they don't add any new icons with this update. I hate having missing icons in my themes...

Top Bottom