• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Princess: Freeware Zelda-based platformer from maker of Noitu Love 2

Konjak, the developer of Noitu Love 2, has come out with a new one-level freeware platformer based on the Zelda series. As one would expect after NL2, it's pretty damn impressive:

l499.png

g196.png

i308.png

Download link here:

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2009/01/freeware_game_pick_the_legend.html

Aru

Since Legend of Zelda: Castle of Ganon was canned (indie game), I was looking forward to another Zelda platformer (Metroid style).

Guess I'll give this a try :D

G-Pink

Think I found a bug. :p When you're pushing the blue block in the second area down towards the switch, and you let the Wallmaster equivalent radiate on the block for two seconds, then push him away, he and the block turn miniature, and when he finally takes the small block back, the game crashes.

Other than that, it's a fun game.

Aru

How many levels are there ?

I lost against the first boss :/

EDIT: Err... I was written in the OP :lol
Sorry about that :p

Played just a teensy bit, and however incomplete it is, this shit is genius! With some high/low parrying/striking, exp. levels, magic spells, and an upward stab, this would be the Zelda II style update I've been clamoring for all these years!

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
return of pink-hair link :O

edit: Wow, the game is awesome. Fast moving, and fun... I love how over-the-top the weapons and specials are :lol

Meesh

It's games like this that make me wish Nintendo would come up with their own RPG/Action game maker, uh game, where you could use their sprites and share with friends.

Huge pipe dream.

He makes great games, but I always seem to encounter frustrating freeze bugs in them like just now well into this picking up some key underwater lead to the game freezing and me not wanting to play through to get that far again.

Noitu Love 2 also annoyingly didnt save any of my progress when I encountered a similar game breaking bug :/

His stuff is top notch though. I wonder if this is a cynical "I bet if I make a fangame I get loads more attention" response to how quickly his original stuff slips out of peoples minds.

Enk

makes good threads.
Ooh, this looks nice. I'll play it as soon as I get home. Love me a good side scrolly adventure!

TreIII

MoxManiac said:
Is he planning on making a longer version? Because this is seriously awesome.

We can only hope.

Hell, far as I'm concerned, he could make a full-fledged retail release, just like NL2. I'd be one of the first in line! :D

That game was great. Very short, and the difficulty level was unbalanced (the mirror Link fight is by far the hardest in the game...), but quite fun. Very nice artwork, too. It would be great as a full game, wouldn't it... but as a one level fangame, it's great fun. :)

The only annoyance I noticed was how against the final boss you are stuck in certain areas of the level -- you can't jump over him or already be on the other side of him to avoid the fire attacks and such, it just pushes you into the area he's attacking. It's something of a clumsy way to do that... but other than that, great.

M3d10n

Finished without dieing once, without freezes nor glitches. Default start items, of course: gotta try other item runs later.

Anyway, this will never get into a full game unless Konjak swaps every likeness to the Zelda franchise by something else. The way it is right now is the best way to create fan games: build the whole thing in secrecy and release for free when done. Avoids cease and desist missiles since nobody can stop the files from being spread on the net after it's done.

Kard8p3

Wow that was a great little game. I wish he would make a full game like this because it's seriously awesome. It had some great boss fights.

RedFalcon

Neo Member
Freaking fantastic little game -- as expected from Joakim. Be sure to check out the rest of his games on Konjak.org (especially Chalk). However, I wonder why he decided to abandon his typical WASD keyboard plus mouse configuration he's used in past games like Noitu Love 2 -- it works as well as a game pad (if not better).

I really want to see his games get proper distribution -- not only more broadly on P.C., e.g., Steam, but on LIVE and PSN as well -- but from what he told me when I interviewed him at GDC '08, he says that a lot his code isn't easy to port. He did Noitu Love 2: Devolution using Multimedia Fusion and that software is a double-edged sword: things like rendering and collision are taken care of, but the code doesn't translate across the board. Bummer.

Sciz

Kard8p3 said:
Wow that was a great little game. I wish he would make a full game like this because it's seriously awesome. It had some great boss fights.
AwRy108 said:
IMPORTANT FYI: Noitu Love 2 just dropped to $10--go freekin' get it!!!

RedFalcon said:
I really want to see his games get proper distribution -- not only more broadly on P.C., e.g., Steam, but on LIVE and PSN as well
Chalk in particular is just begging for a fleshed out DS version. Easy money, publishers, easy money.

M3d10n

RedFalcon said:
I really want to see his games get proper distribution -- not only more broadly on P.C., e.g., Steam, but on LIVE and PSN as well -- but from what he told me when I interviewed him at GDC '08, he says that a lot his code isn't easy to port. He did Noitu Love 2: Devolution using Multimedia Fusion and that software is a double-edged sword: things like rendering and collision are taken care of, but the code doesn't translate across the board. Bummer.
Yeah, it's all proprietary script and data structures. either the games are re-created from ground up or the MMF source code is licensed and it gets ported.

Mamesj

Banned
You guys who are having problems should post on his site or email him. Indie games aren't 100% perfect the first time around and usually the devs will fix problems if you point them out intelligently.

jman2050

Oh sure, you put Zelda in the title and of course you already get more replies than Noitu Love 2 ever did :(

Game looks awesome though, will try out.

jman2050

For the record, this game is basically Noitu Love 2 without the mouse aiming with a Zelda skin so if you like this little game then you must get Noitu Love 2 NOW.

jman2050 said:
For the record, this game is basically Noitu Love 2 without the mouse aiming with a Zelda skin so if you like this little game then you must get Noitu Love 2 NOW.

Never heard of Noitu Love 2, looked at some videos online and the gameplay looks very different from this. Though I must say it looked very fun, I may pick that up. :D

Still want more of this one too though.

Sciz

MvmntInGrn said:
Never heard of Noitu Love 2, looked at some videos online and the gameplay looks very different from this. Though I must say it looked very fun, I may pick that up. :D

Still want more of this one too though.
The basic flow of "run fast, pull off crazy multi-hit combos, fight sweet bosses" is much the same, but it ditches the puzzles and treasure for sheer balls out action.

KevinCow said:
I want a Zelda II 2, and I want it to actually be called that.

How about Zelda 2 DS? And please leave it in the hands of someone capable, not like Artoon handling Yoshi's Island DS.

Top Bottom