• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime on Wii - Hands-on Impressions

Yeah, the morph ball jump is in this game--thanks for pointing that out, RagnorokX. I totally didn't think to check that, since I wasn't aware of that "optional" jump feature until AFTER I had completed Corruption. Yes, that means painful double-jumping via bombs.

Stink

RockmanWhore said:
Don't get me wrong, I love playing FPS with the Wiimote (and while I don't like Corruption that much, it's not because of the controls), but it's far from perfect, and it's not superior enough to make the Dual Shock 3 and 360's controller obsolete.

you just made me realise that I haven't bought a single joypad FPS since I played Metroid Prime 3. Wow.

beje

Banned
Templar Wizard said:
i have this disc on the way from japan, what homebrew do i need to change my pal wii to jpn region?

Just use the GeckoOS app to launch the game. If you still haven't used homebrew on your system it goes

install Homebrew Channel on the Wii -> Install GeckoOS in your SD -> profit!!!!

in case you didn't know. The bad part is about having to open those two things before playing an import but unlike region changing your system, this solution is piece of cake easy and completely safe.

beje

Banned
Templar Wizard said:
kewl, how do i put homebrew channel on :)

start here

then look for GeckoOS in that same wiki, in the app list. When you get it, here you have how to install it in your SD:

1. Make a folder on the root of your SD card called "apps".
Note: This is case-sensitive; Make sure it is not "APPS".
2. In the folder "apps," create a folder for the application (for example, "/apps/<NameOfApp>/").
3. Copy the files for the application into its folder (e.g. /apps/<NameOfApp>/).
4. Find the executable file (either .elf or .dol) and rename it to boot.elf (or boot.dol if it was a .dol file) if it is not already named that (for example /apps/<NameOfApp>/boot.dol). If the app comes with an icon.png and meta.xml, copy the them both into the the same folder as the app's boot.dol.
Now the application will appear in the Homebrew Channel. However, if the application did not come with icon.png or meta.xml, it will not look very good and may be difficult to distinguish from other applications. To fix this, text and an image can be added.

you may get an error loading GeckoOS in the Homebrew Channel. If that happens, make sure to use the .dol file you can find inside the zip instead of the .elf one, as some .elf's (badly compiled ones) are not compatible with the latest version of the Homebrew Channel.

Zoc

The Metroid Prime disc seems to have some sort of firmware update on it, but after updating and restarting, my Wii still says it 3.4J

Does anyone know any more about this? Have I just killed my chances of running the Twilight Hack?

beje

Banned
Zoc said:
The Metroid Prime disc seems to have some sort of firmware update on it, but after updating and restarting, my Wii still says it 3.4J

Does anyone know any more about this? Have I just killed my chances of running the Twilight Hack?

Not at all. Those updates are usually to add IOS with drivers to your Wii, for example, Animal Crossing asks you to update so it can install WiiSpeak drivers and Need for Speed installs the ones related to the official steering wheel (by logitech, I think). Some other games (like this one) do the same with little to no visible effect, so it's assumed it's just little updates to shop/weather/news channels.

tl;dr updates are not always system menu updates.

Zoc

Thanks.

Wow, so the Wii can install drivers without updating the entire firmware? That's pretty forward-looking. The ps3 requires point upgrades for even the most trivial things.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Zoc said:
Thanks.

Wow, so the Wii can install drivers without updating the entire firmware? That's pretty forward-looking. The ps3 requires point upgrades for even the most trivial things.
well, it's a bit different - it's not that the wii can get individual drivers, but it can get individual versions of its fw without overwriting the rest. that makes for rather efficient fw updates. and the new fw versions can carry new drivers, etc. usually, with new fw versions only games written against those fw versions can utilize any new drivers. but given nintendo can update older fw versions too, they do occasionally "patch" older firmwares.

Can someone explain to me in detail how having free look somehow makes this game easier? Even when I play MP3 I used the lock on function 90% of the time when fighting enemies just like I did in any other Metroid. It doesn't even matter where you hit them. What could be easier than a lock on system? Shit, if you chose not to use the lock on it'd probably make it more challenging if anything. The part that makes these controls better is that you can look at all of your surroundings without having to hold down L every 10 seconds. That makes exploration feel way more immersive. The old controls made it feel like Samus's neck was bolted to her shoulders. Metroid Prime isn't Resident Evil 4 and pointer controls aren't going to make this game's combat noticeable easier.

ElFly

Not increased load times?

Compared to Corruption, or to the original MP? Because the series had longer and longer load times (ie: time that doors took to open) as it went along.

Stink

Buttseckslol said:
Can someone explain to me in detail how having free look somehow makes this game easier?

it makes it easier on my fingers. I hate the Gamecube shoulder button 'things'.

I guess for me it just makes it easier to target the enemy you want to as well, when there are multiples attacking you.

Stink said:
it makes it easier on my fingers. I hate the Gamecube shoulder button 'things'.

I guess for me it just makes it easier to target the enemy you want to as well, when there are multiples attacking you.
Hey, I'm with you. I love MP3's controls. I guess a better way to put it is, "In what way does free look controls make combat easier?". Everyone keeps saying that pointer controls will make this game's combat easier and I don't understand why.

Zoc

I've never played the GC original, but I just played through the first section of the game on Wii. It was good fun, although fairly easy. As the poster above mentioned, the controls still make it fairly hard to hit anything without first locking on.

What were the controls in the GC version? You had to press a button to look around? How did you move, then?

Zoc said:
I've never played the GC original, but I just played through the first section of the game on Wii. It was good fun, although fairly easy. As the poster above mentioned, the controls still make it fairly hard to hit anything without first locking on.

What were the controls in the GC version? You had to press a button to look around? How did you move, then?
To freely look around you had to hold down the L button. It would also hold you in place so you couldn't look up or down while moving. All of your movements were done on the left analog so you were always locked into the same position and just stared straight ahead. It made turning around and looking at your surrounding more frustrating.

Kuramu

This is good news to me,as it fixes the 2 biggest minor flaws IMO of Prime 1.

1. walking around, clicking lock-on and shooting geemers required no skill, no attention, and was boring/ a chore. This will give me something to do.

2. I never got used to having my head locked into the forward position when I was walking... I wanted to look around at stuff

Day 1 with joy

Zoc

Buttseckslol said:
To freely look around you had to hold down the L button. It would also hold you in place so you couldn't look up or down while moving. All of your movements were done on the left analog so you were always locked into the same position and just stared straight ahead. It made turning around and looking at your surrounding more frustrating.

That sounds awful. How could you play the whole game that way? Am I missing something here?

Zoc said:
That sounds awful. How could you play the whole game that way? Am I missing something here?
I got through it because even the control problems couldn't hide the fact that this game is amazing. It's just that looking back now after playing Corruption the old control scheme feels archaic in comparison. It was okay at the time, but I'm so ready to play this game again with new controls.

KevinCow

Banned
Zoc said:

It was like Goldeneye. The left stick moved forward, backward, and turned, and holding R locked you in place and let you aim freely. Pressing L locked onto a target and let you strafe around it. If there wasn't anything to lock on to, it would just let you strafe.

Well, in general Wii games longer load times than GameCube titles. I'm not noticing any perceivable increases over Metroid Prime 1, but it's been a VERY long time since I played it.

Complicating things are the multiple versions floating around on the GameCube. As I understand it, the first batch had faster load times for rooms, but whatever coding trick it used also caused it to lock up on occasion. I've been trained to accept or even expect a little loading time when opening doors after three games...it's possible I'm just not capable of perceiving what subtle increase in load times it may or may not have.

Davey Cakes

Zoc said:
It takes a little bit of getting used to, but the control scheme actually works rather well for a first-person adventure game.

I started a new game in Metroid Prime right after beating Corruption, and it wasn't hard getting back into the swing of things. Corruption's control scheme is preferable, but the original's scheme was far from unusable.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Linkzg said:
wait, have you ever played Metroid Prime 1? it doesn't seem like you have. You know, it came out on the Gamecube, and while it had analog aiming, it wasn't used in combat. the game had a pretty great lock on targeting system.

it sort of did. I missed the thermal visor and fought that rock boss without it. Had to manually aim and find his weak points myself. Can't move and aim though if I remember.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Zoc said:

Because the combat played more like an arcade shooter than a precision shooter. You never really had any need to precisely target very small objects, so simply ‘locking on’ an enemy and using circle strafing + jumping was enough to take stuff down.

It sounds clunky, and I guess it kind of was, but because it doesn’t play as a traditional ‘shooter’ it isn’t an issue. Had combat scenarios been more precision based and tighter in taking cover / moving around then it would have been a problem, but as it stands its fine.

Zoc said:
These controls were awesome. Much better than standard dual analog for this game. The combat is shifted more towards dodging the enemy attacks than aiming. Which is ingenious.

I'm afraid I haven't gotten that far yet. Sorry, I don't know Metroid Prime like the back of my hand, so I'm fumbling to progress some and don't want to rush it. But yeah, I don't see any reason why the charge beam (A button on default settings) and down on the D-pad wouldn't work. It's easy enough to push both with your thumb a la A + Y on the GameCube controller.

papercut

Rash said:
Agreed.

Metroid Prime is such a great break from the typical first-person game.

I feel like I'm the only one who prefers the GC controls to the Wiimote. The game was designed around the GC pad and it worked really well.

Okay, I got my copy about an hour ago and played for about 30 minutes. So far this is what I've noticed. First off, the advance controls pretty much feel exactly like corruption so that's a good thing. Just about everything feels the same control wise as MP3, but they're is at least one minor exception. I noticed in this game that once you lock onto an enemy you no longer can move you pointer freely. Your pointer shows back up as soon as the enemy is wasted. I pretty sure this is different from the way it works in MP3. Another thing I noticed is that I think this game may come with achievements similar to those that were included in Corruption. Because I don't understand Japanese I can't be sure. I'm basing this off the fact that after I beat a few mini bosses a bolt logo would show up similar to the ones that would show up in Corruption when you unlocked a new achievement. Right now, I just got the rockets and the morphball so I still have plenty to discover so I'll post more impressions soon. I'm loving it so far and I see no reason for this to change. It's exactly what it should be. Metroid Prime with Metroid Prime 3 controls.

Diortem7

Boss1337 said:
It looks like they changed the title screen a bit. I wonder why, not that it's an issue though.

Edit: I guess they had to change to fit widescreen.

Besides the new controls, I really look forward to playing the game with the additions from the PAL/Japanese versions. To name a few:
Suit voice (just like in Echoes), fixed Flaahgra music, and Ridley's stomp attack.

Buttseckslol said:
Just about everything feels the same control wise as MP3, but they're is at least one minor exception. I noticed in this game that once you lock onto an enemy you no longer can move you pointer freely.
Are you sure you can't change that in the options menu? It was an option in Corruption.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
yukonrye said:
$30 for these NPC games is bullshit. I won't be touching them until they are at the greatest hits price point - $20.
Take a look at most of Nintendo's games on the Wii and you'll realize that you'll be waiting a good long while unless you want to buy a used copy.

Fuzzy said:
Take a look at most of Nintendo's games on the Wii and you'll realize that you'll be waiting a good long while unless you want to buy a used copy.
No shit.

I want Excite Truck, WarioWare, and SPM... but $50 for those titles seems to be asking too much.

Cygnus X-1

EmCeeGramr said:
new-play-control-metroid-prime-20090219012624311.jpg

new-play-control-metroid-prime-20090219012621749.jpg

new-play-control-metroid-prime-20090219012637092.jpg

new-play-control-metroid-prime-20090219012630280.jpg

new-play-control-metroid-prime-20090219012634764.jpg

Man, it's weird seeing the game like this. I still remember playing it for the first time and thinking it was probably the best graphics would get.

Wow dude. 16:9 makes this game so great!

AppleBlade

This makes me glad that I never got around to finishing Metroid Prime (even though I loved what I did play of it). Not only will I get to play with the better controls, but the last 40% or so of the game will be new content for me anyways.

Honestly, as someone who didn't get to play many of the 1st party Nintendo games for the Cube, I hope they keep on with the New Play Control series. Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, and Starfox Assault seem like natural fits, I'd like to see Wind Waker as well.

Osuwari

Little Green Yoda said:
No sequence breaking = fail

I'm going to laugh if the motion controls completely bastardize the game and makes it piss-easy.

Echoes' Title Screen music is even better :D

there are still plenty of sequence breaks
http://forum.metroid2002.com/index.php/topic,8000.0.html
just not dash jump sequence breaking, but once you get the space jump, you can destroy the game just like the GC version.
plenty of good info in there.

also

PIC00055.jpg

Cipherr

Alcibiades said:
Where the GCN-controller option apparently didn't make sense was GCN games - !?!?

Well yeah, considering there are SKU's right now for the gamecube sitting in bargain bins in EB or whatever for $7.99

MrVargas said:
This makes me glad that I never got around to finishing Metroid Prime (even though I loved what I did play of it). Not only will I get to play with the better controls, but the last 40% or so of the game will be new content for me anyways.

Honestly, as someone who didn't get to play many of the 1st party Nintendo games for the Cube, I hope they keep on with the New Play Control series. Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, and Starfox Assault seem like natural fits, I'd like to see Wind Waker as well.

Now this is a reason I can get behind for buying these Wiimakes. If your just buying them for wide screen though, thats just weird. And yes I have a very good flat screen as well, and you all are making way to much of it.

i bought metriod prime on the cube when it came out. got through most of it and then rented die hard and accidentally returned it in the die hard case. A month went by till i wanted to play metroid again and realized i had returned it die hard when i saw die hard in my lovely prime case. Blockbuster had it would not give it back to my timid highschool self and i never got a chance to play it again.

damn did die hard game suck sooo bad.

the IGN videos look good. One interesting thing is that while there is free aim all the time now, the lock on is the exact same from Metroid Prime GCN and not Metroid Prime 3. It doesn't seem like you can aim after locking on.

Christine

Linkzg said:
the IGN videos look good. One interesting thing is that while there is free aim all the time now, the lock on is the exact same from Metroid Prime GCN and not Metroid Prime 3. It doesn't seem like you can aim after locking on.

According to this post, the Japanese web site for the game confirms "Advanced Lock-on" is available as an option.

Linkzg said:
This option was already confirmed on the official site, as mentioned above, but as you can see here (captured from this walkthrough) :

46564145-1.png

Looks like they'd have to enable the option first...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
cut scenes are cropped? That's idiotic since they had black bars to begin with...
Bah, don't care much, only thing I want to know is they added 16:9 field of vision for gameplay, right? Nothing like the cropped&zoomed cut-scenes?

It would be a deal breaker but I'm sure that's a given.

Top Bottom