• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SM64: Collect Red Coins, Escape from the Green Demon

Haden

Banned
I love stuff like this when people make their own tasks up in a game. Shows that the game has rock solid gameplay to allow stuff like this :lol

SCReuter

Stumpokapow said:
I'm all about Mario 64-2. I think they should use the M64DS engine and do it on DS.

But we'd be dealing with a gimped controller setup again, not to mention the DS version of Super Mario 64 had wonky jumping physics, I thought.

While it'd never happen, I'd personally love to see something like "Super Mario 64: The Lost Levels" or "Super Mario 64 Expansion Kit" developed for WiiWare. The game would be based off the original 1996 engine and offer new, more elaborate stages that really showcased the depth of Mario's platforming abilities, as well as maybe include a level editor, but now I'm really reaching.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Ahh yes the "Yatsu ga kuru" series.

I was wondering if someone would ever psot this on GAF.

Love this shit.

The latest one took them over 8 hours to finish.

KevinCow

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Ahh yes the "Yatsu ga kuru" series.

I was wondering if someone would ever psot this on GAF.

Love this shit.

The latest one took them over 8 hours to finish.
And you don't provide links.

Boogie9IGN

:lol:lol:lol @ The Mario videos

:lol:lol:lol:lol @ The RE2 video at around 2.52 you can hear Going the Distance from the Rocky soundtrack playing in the background

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
These guys are so damn good at Mario64.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
oh god, cool cool mountain part 1.... :lol

Especially at
5:55

m3k

lols

it also makes me feel inadequate about my mario 64 skills, especially as i have my 64 plugged in at the moment

damn :lol

GOD DAMN

Just seeing him outside the castle makes me wanna play the motherfucker.

One of the top 5 greatest games ever.

ilikeme

Oh goooooooood, this doesn't just make me :lol, it makes me fucking happy so deep down in my mind I can't get any further! My Mario64 is just a few miles away, I'll get to it soon! I have to try this :)

The 'strategy talk' in the beginning of Part 3 is so damn funny. These guys are hilarious :lol

Gagaman

I love it when the mushroom gets stuck behind a wall and they turn the camera to reveal that it's ramming against the wall trying to break through. :lol

...and of course, sometimes it does break through when they least expect it. :lol :lol :lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Gagaman said:
I love it when the mushroom gets stuck behind a wall and they turn the camera to reveal that it's ramming against the wall trying to break through. :lol

...and of course, sometimes it does break through when they least expect it. :lol :lol :lol
"WHY?!"

loosus

Banned
Man. Super Mario 64 was such a good game. I wish the two 3D sequels were half as good, but I reckon Nintendo has lost its ability to make good 3D adventure games (Twilight Princess being even more evidence of that). Maybe the core team(s) at Nintendo have been gutted similar to Sonic Team, and the only difference is that there are still enough old-timers around to keep the house from completely falling down.

Cipherr

wow at the cool cool mountain about 5 minutes in when the mushroom comes from underground about 2 feet from them going mach speed. I rofl.

jts

...hate me...
I just tried to do this and man... this is UNPLAYABLE on the Wii.

How am I supposed to do long jumps (crouch + jump) in a succession with those damned analog L buttons on either the Classic Controller or on the GC controller? A lot of times I just end up pressing the jump button faster than the other finger goes all the way on the L button, which leads to frustrating stomps on the ground.

Bring on that motherfucker CC Pro Nintendo :mad:

Metal B

The mario videos remind me of the terror of this guy:

mw-phanto.gif

Hamfam said:
What about Sunshine? LOLZ
Sunshine was a lot closer to Mario 64 in terms of level design so I'd say something like this may work. Also, the levels in Sunshine are massive and ripe for innovative game ideas.

NeonZ

loosus said:
Man. Super Mario 64 was such a good game. I wish the two 3D sequels were half as good, but I reckon Nintendo has lost its ability to make good 3D adventure games (Twilight Princess being even more evidence of that). Maybe the core team(s) at Nintendo have been gutted similar to Sonic Team, and the only difference is that there are still enough old-timers around to keep the house from completely falling down.

Galaxy is different from 64, and doesn't have as much freedom, focusing more on creating different areas for specific missions, but that doesn't mean the teams making the game are incompetent.

Personally, I never liked how Mario 64's world seemed so much smaller than the worlds of the 2d Mario games, even though there was more freedom to move around. Galaxy's approach seemed much closer to the series' roots.

It usually reused the first planet of each galaxy for the 3 main missions, but, besides that one planet (and most of the comet missions), everything else was original.

I never liked the concept used in most 3d adventure games based on Mario 64 of revisiting the same locations up to 7 times just to complete a few different objectives. Most stages in Mario 64 had clearly "main paths" with different stars spread around it, rather than specific areas for each star. I always thought that was an inherent limitation of 3d game design, but Galaxy showed that it isn't really true.

Now, I'm not saying that there shouldn't be new games made in the 64 style, but Galaxy's style is a perfectly viable choice too, and it can still be improved and explored more (think about a game like Galaxy but with no comet challenges, just progressively harder Galaxies. It'd be platforming heaven.)

DrLazy

NeonZ said:
Galaxy is different from 64, and doesn't have as much freedom, focusing more on creating different areas for specific missions, but that doesn't mean the teams making the game are incompetent.

Personally, I never liked how Mario 64's world seemed so much smaller than the worlds of the 2d Mario games, even though there was more freedom to move around. Galaxy's approach seemed much closer to the series' roots.

It usually reused the first planet of each galaxy for the 3 main missions, but, besides that one planet (and most of the comet missions), everything else was original.

I never liked the concept used in most 3d adventure games based on Mario 64 of revisiting the same locations up to 7 times just to complete a few different objectives. Most stages in Mario 64 had clearly "main paths" with different stars spread around it, rather than specific areas for each star. I always thought that was an inherent limitation of 3d game design, but Galaxy showed that it isn't really true.

Now, I'm not saying that there shouldn't be new games made in the 64 style, but Galaxy's style is a perfectly viable choice too, and it can still be improved and explored more (think about a game like Galaxy but with no comet challenges, just progressively harder Galaxies. It'd be platforming heaven.)

I like Mario 64 better for the exact reasons you say it is inferior. Mario 64 had true freedom. True 3D. Not a set path, but true exploration. The best part was even though you selected a certain star, you could go and explore and "accidently" get a star from a different mission. It was great.

loosus

Banned
Rather than attempting some weird, shoe-horned, pseudo exploration (without the exploration) mix that they did in Galaxy, I'd rather they simply made a 2D game. That is why New Super Mario Bros. was fucking fantastic. If you are going to go 3D, do it like in Super Mario 64 and actually take advantage of the fact that it's 3D. It's almost like the 3D in Galaxy was there for asthetics.

NeonZ

DrLazy said:
I like Mario 64 better for the exact reasons you say it is inferior. Mario 64 had true freedom. True 3D. Not a set path, but true exploration. The best part was even though you selected a certain star, you could go and explore and "accidently" get a star from a different mission. It was great.

I'm not saying that Galaxy is superior, it just had a different focus, one that I prefer, and actually have always wished to see in the genre, though I know there are people who prefer the freedom of exploration.

epmode

I will never, ever understand the Galaxy backlash. It beats 64 in every way that counts. ...except for difficulty.

The "exploration" that you guys are so keen on is just unfocused level design.
loosus said:
If you are going to go 3D, do it like in Super Mario 64 and actually take advantage of the fact that it's 3D. It's almost like the 3D in Galaxy was there for asthetics.
Because all of the planet-hopping + gravity tricks would have worked in 2D, right?

Galaxy was Nintendo's best game in YEARS. Bump up the difficulty and take out the fluff and it would be perfect.

They've already got a good Mario 64 engine in Mario Galaxy. I'd love to see the DS version get some port love. Maybe a budget re-release of 64 with the shiny new engine 6 months before a Super Mario 64-2?

Top Bottom