• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

LiveFromKyoto
make it rain, motherfucker
(03-08-2009, 09:38 AM)
LiveFromKyoto's Avatar
Welcome to the planning thread for Gaming Art Musica Electronia's fifth release!

Who is G.A.M.E.?

G.A.M.E. is the GAF collective of musicians, from people working on Korg DS-10s all the way up to Logic, Pro Tools & Ableton.

Anybody is welcome to join at any ability level using any kind of equipment (while we're going for an electronic feel, there are all kinds of ways to achieve that which don't involve computers), all we care about is that you do your best, use this project to evolve as a musician, and work within the overarching theme. Even if the theme's not your thing, take that as a challenge to expand your repertoire. You might learn a trick or two that works well with what your main musical focus is.


What is this project?

Our tentative plan here are summer tracks - everybody knows that every summer there are a couple of songs that define it. That's what we're trying for here - bumpin', fun, groovin' seasonal, whatever you feel fits the theme. And if you can work in a gaming angle, all the better.

How can people listen to my works in progress?

Open a free account at http://soundcloud.com. You can host and listen to your tracks there, and people can leave comments at specific points in the song. Link to your track in this thread, and we can all help each other out with feedback. Let's make this the best project we've done yet!


HELPFUL LINKS FOR MUSICIANS:
(Thanks to Mr. Nash)

Discussion on Mixdowns and EQing
All about Equalizing
Mastering and Bass Mixdown for 4/4 Hard-Dance music
Side Chaining tutorial

RELEASE DATE: Aiming for mid June

So if you want in, just post! The more the merrier, there's no track limit in the world of digital distribution.



LIST OF CONTRIBUTORS: (post and I'll add you here)

>>>>>>*****m0dus*****<<<<<
LiveFromKyoto
btkadams
I Push Fat Kids
Fabiollo
SpacLock
Fusebox
HappyBivouac
BroseyBrose
pirahna1
Albino_Samurai
Slizz
Bit-Bit
Minyobi
SDZeta
Chasteleth
Garcia

THE PROCESS FOR SUBMITTING TRACKS IS AS FOLLOWS:

1) Forward your song information to Monchi-Kun via PM (with "G.A.M.E. 5.0 Song Submission" in the subject line). We will need:

Artist Name This may be different than your GAF handle
Song Name
GAF Handle: even if same as your Artist Name, just pop it in here
Style: can be a phrase/sentence length description, not too long please
Inspiration: make it around 50-60 words tops
Equipment: hardware and/or software used, monitors/headphones used, PC/Mac quick specs if you'd like
Website: so that interested GAFers can check out more of your music

2) Upload a 24-bit or 32-bit wav recording of your song to a file sharing website (ie. rapidshare.com, megaupload.com, zshare.com do NOT use sendspace as the link expires), and PM Monchi-Kun the link to it (again, "G.A.M.E. 4.0 Song Submission" for your subject. Please name the wav file with your artist name and song title.

3) Post in the thread that you have done so.


Here are the other projects we've worked on, if you're new to G.A.M.E:
G.A.M.E. 4.0 - Chiptunes/Retrogaming - Planning thread - Release Thread
G.A.M.E. 3.0 - Wipeout HD Custom Soundtrack - Planning Thread - Release Thread
G.A.M.E. 2.0 - Theatrical - Planning Thread - Release Thread
G.A.M.E. 1.0 - Gaming themed tracks, the one that started it all! Planning Thread - Release Thread

And all G.A.M.E. compilations are kindly being hosted by m0dus on his site, if you want to check them out:


(Click the pic!)
Last edited by LiveFromKyoto; 07-01-2009 at 08:20 PM.
LiveFromKyoto
make it rain, motherfucker
(03-08-2009, 09:42 AM)
LiveFromKyoto's Avatar
Incidentally, here's my first submission, please give it a listen:

Lost in the rain

This is actually a song I started 18 months ago (can't believe it's already been that long) and never could fully finish until tonight.

I ended up importing it from Garageband to Logic months after I removed GB due to space issues. The upshot being that all my instruments, settings and equalization were lost. I basically had nothing but notes and had to rebuild it from the ground up.

As such, any input - with regard to the mix or composition - are welcome. I've listened to it 10 billion times and am in no way objective about it anymore.
Kevtones
Member
(03-08-2009, 09:43 AM)
I'm terrible with it but I waste lots of time fiddling on Garageband, I'd be interested in contributing :lol
LiveFromKyoto
make it rain, motherfucker
(03-08-2009, 09:45 AM)
LiveFromKyoto's Avatar

Originally Posted by I Push Fat Kids

I'm terrible with it but I waste lots of time fiddling on Garageband, I'd be interested in contributing :lol

Hey, I started the same way, you should hear how murky my G.A.M.E. 1.0 contribution is.

I'll add you to the OP.
Kevtones
Member
(03-08-2009, 09:50 AM)

Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto

Hey, I started the same way, you should hear how murky my G.A.M.E. 1.0 contribution is.

I'll add you to the OP.


Cool :D

Got lots of stuff going on these days but I'll definitely find the time to finish something by June. EXCITE ~
m0dus
(03-08-2009, 11:50 AM)
m0dus's Avatar
Eh. Dude, we sellin' out? Is this what people pushed for? I thought we'd tossed the idea of collaborations, remixes and whatnot about first? And how about solidifying the gaming angle a bit more? I'm not sure happy hardcore is quite within the spirit of the project, you know :)
SpacLock
Member
(03-08-2009, 12:38 PM)
SpacLock's Avatar
Count me in for sure this time. I love the theme even though it doesn't have much to do with gaming.
Fabiollo
Member
(03-08-2009, 03:06 PM)
Fabiollo's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto

Incidentally, here's my first submission, please give it a listen:

Lost in the rain

Very summery. I like it a lot.

Of course, count me in. I don't really know what kind of song I'll put up, but it's an interesting challenge.
LiveFromKyoto
make it rain, motherfucker
(03-08-2009, 07:19 PM)
LiveFromKyoto's Avatar

Originally Posted by m0dus

Eh. Dude, we sellin' out? Is this what people pushed for? I thought we'd tossed the idea of collaborations, remixes and whatnot about first? And how about solidifying the gaming angle a bit more?

Well, if you want to get technical we sold out as soon as our second release was theatrical. I just went with this because it got the most positive response of all the suggestions (my idea was actually the live album), to the point where people were actually starting on tracks for it and bugging me to start the new thread. Plus, I know where we can find a perfect piece of jetsurfing ninja cover art. We can put it to a formal vote if you guys want.

The concept is definitely open to modification - for instance, write the theme to a summery area/stage for a game. And there's no reason collaborations can't happen within the framework of this. Or remixes. I'd love to hear the DJ Tiesto Summer Megamix of "The Human Compliment."

Really, I think these projects should be as open ended as possible in that regard. I'd rather foster creativity than stifle it. The more feedback the better, let's have opinions and ideas, guys!

I'm not sure happy hardcore is quite within the spirit of the project, you know :)

:lol Just a summer feel, the day we do happy hardcore is the day I abstain from that project.

Originally Posted by SpacLock

Count me in for sure this time. I love the theme even though it doesn't have much to do with gaming.

Good to have you aboard again, I'll add you to the OP.

Originally Posted by Fabiollo

Very summery. I like it a lot.

Thank you. Listening to it again this morning, I think it noodles on for a bit too long, I might try and cut a minute or so from the middle. And the part where it gets quiet before the end passage, I'm getting some crackle on the drums - which is weird, because there's no reverb on them at all. It must be coming from something else.

Of course, count me in. I don't really know what kind of song I'll put up, but it's an interesting challenge.

Okay, you're in. Hearing your track on the last comp, I think you'll be able to handle this no problem.
btkadams
Member
(03-08-2009, 07:31 PM)
btkadams's Avatar
cool! i made it on the list already :)

i know garcia is on board with this one as well.
Fusebox
Banned
(03-08-2009, 10:29 PM)
Fusebox's Avatar

Originally Posted by m0dus

Eh. Dude, we sellin' out? )

I always thought gaming was only the theme for the first release, and was never intended to be a constantly running theme.


Summer is great, I'm gonna do a jackin party tune! Fat bass, latin percussion, whistle posse!
LiveFromKyoto
make it rain, motherfucker
(03-08-2009, 10:36 PM)
LiveFromKyoto's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fusebox

whistle posse!

Oh snap, I'm pumped already. Whistle Song part II?

Everybody, let's all do each other a favour and if you don't have one, open a soundcloud account:

http://soundcloud.com

You can use it to host mp3s of your tracks in easy to use players, and people can leave comments at specific points in each song. I'd particularly like to hear from people with extensive mixing experience or trained composers. The more specific the feedback, the better the overall project will be, and the more we'll all improve individually.
neptunes
Member
(03-08-2009, 10:40 PM)
neptunes's Avatar
I envy you guys

why can't the hip hop equivalent of this ever amount to anything good?
LiveFromKyoto
make it rain, motherfucker
(03-08-2009, 10:46 PM)
LiveFromKyoto's Avatar

Originally Posted by neptunes

I envy you guys

why can't the hip hop equivalent of this ever amount to anything good?

There's no reason you can't make a hip hop contribution here. We've had tracks with vocals before, and we're really just focused on electronic production - which hip hop has been doing since Afrika Bambaataa and Grandmaster Flash.
Fabiollo
Member
(03-09-2009, 01:33 AM)
Fabiollo's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto

There's no reason you can't make a hip hop contribution here. We've had tracks with vocals before, and we're really just focused on electronic production - which hip hop has been doing since Afrika Bambaataa and Grandmaster Flash.

QFT. I was kinda thinking to get female vocals in my track: a friend of mine has a beautiful voice, I'd love to do some moody, summer night chillout tune. Don't know if I can pull it, but why not trying?
LiveFromKyoto
make it rain, motherfucker
(03-09-2009, 06:48 AM)
LiveFromKyoto's Avatar
Okay, I've got another song done - this one came together really quickly for me, 2 or 3 days. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Give it a listen, if you would:

July evening, Biwako shore
HappyBivouac
Member
(03-09-2009, 07:19 AM)
HappyBivouac's Avatar
I would love to contribute this time. In the past I've always been either not reading OT enough or just plain not being on GAF. Besides, an obligation will help me actually get something done.
Broseybrose
Member
(03-09-2009, 07:38 AM)
Broseybrose's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto

Okay, I've got another song done - this one came together really quickly for me, 2 or 3 days. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Give it a listen, if you would:

July evening, Biwako shore

this is sooo good!
Rayo
Banned
(03-09-2009, 07:43 AM)
I have a friend I could ask. Mediafire good?
tenritsu
Banned
(03-09-2009, 07:57 AM)
I'm interested, but I'm not sure my strengths lie in this genre... Then again I'm not a good composer :\
Broseybrose
Member
(03-09-2009, 08:36 AM)
Broseybrose's Avatar
Its totally not my style and Im working with only a DS-10, but Im gonna give it a shot anyway. I like a challenge.
btkadams
Member
(03-09-2009, 08:44 AM)
btkadams's Avatar
do it for me you guys. do it for me.
Fabiollo
Member
(03-09-2009, 11:32 AM)
Fabiollo's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto

Okay, I've got another song done - this one came together really quickly for me, 2 or 3 days. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Give it a listen, if you would:

July evening, Biwako shore

What did you use for that guitar-like sound? It doesn't sound like a sample. Nice track, it could be the attract mode music for Outrun.
LiveFromKyoto
make it rain, motherfucker
(03-09-2009, 02:26 PM)
LiveFromKyoto's Avatar

Originally Posted by HappyBivouac

I would love to contribute this time. In the past I've always been either not reading OT enough or just plain not being on GAF. Besides, an obligation will help me actually get something done.

Absolutely.

Originally Posted by Broseybrose

this is sooo good!

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

Originally Posted by Rayo

I have a friend I could ask. Mediafire good?

Soundcloud is much better for music. You have to sign up, but nobody needs to download anything, and it's easy to leave feedback with.

Originally Posted by tenritsu

I'm interested, but I'm not sure my strengths lie in this genre... Then again I'm not a good composer :\

Nobody's compositions improve without practice (I'm hardly a master), and there's nothing wrong with starting with something simple. Philip Glass made a career of it. There are plenty of people involved in this who can give good advice on how to improve, too.

Originally Posted by Broseybrose

Its totally not my style and Im working with only a DS-10, but Im gonna give it a shot anyway. I like a challenge.

Sure, you're in.

Originally Posted by Fabiollo

What did you use for that guitar-like sound? It doesn't sound like a sample.

Sculpture in Logic Studio can achieve some amazing things.
Albino_Samurai
Member
(03-09-2009, 02:36 PM)
Albino_Samurai's Avatar
Ok..... count me in.
Slizz
Member
(03-09-2009, 03:23 PM)
Slizz's Avatar
k im gonna try to contribute, and i mean try, btk knows whats up. summer seems like an awesome theme and hard to pass up.
pirahna1
Member
(03-09-2009, 08:00 PM)
I'm in. Back in the studio today, gonna try and push out a few tracks :D
btkadams
Member
(03-09-2009, 08:09 PM)
btkadams's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slizz

k im gonna try to contribute, and i mean try, btk knows whats up. summer seems like an awesome theme and hard to pass up.

:D
Bit-Bit
Member
(03-09-2009, 08:14 PM)
Bit-Bit's Avatar
I made a song for the last GAME but completely forgot to submit it in. I'm going to set a reminder for myself and make the deadline this time.

So count me in.
LiveFromKyoto
make it rain, motherfucker
(03-09-2009, 08:30 PM)
LiveFromKyoto's Avatar

Originally Posted by pirahna1

I'm in. Back in the studio today, gonna try and push out a few tracks :D

I'll put your name up in the OP.

While I've got a studio guys here, can you explain something to me? Functionally, what's the difference between a compressor and an equalizer? A compressor usually just lowers low freqs and raises high ones (unless you compress down), right? What's the difference between doing that with a compressor and an EQ?

Originally Posted by Albino_Samurai

Ok..... count me in.

Originally Posted by Slizz

k im gonna try to contribute, and i mean try, btk knows whats up. summer seems like an awesome theme and hard to pass up.

Originally Posted by Bit-Bit

I made a song for the last GAME but completely forgot to submit it in. I'm going to set a reminder for myself and make the deadline this time.

So count me in.

Done, done and done.
btkadams
Member
(03-09-2009, 09:35 PM)
btkadams's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto

I'll put your name up in the OP.

While I've got a studio guys here, can you explain something to me? Functionally, what's the difference between a compressor and an equalizer? A compressor usually just lowers low freqs and raises high ones (unless you compress down), right? What's the difference between doing that with a compressor and an EQ?





Done, done and done.

don't compressors make the louds quieter and the quiets louder so that they are more even? thats what ive always known it as. and eq changes specific frequencies? im prob wrong but that was always my somewhat understanding.
lil smoke
Banned
(03-09-2009, 10:03 PM)

Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto


While I've got a studio guys here, can you explain something to me? Functionally, what's the difference between a compressor and an equalizer? A compressor usually just lowers low freqs and raises high ones (unless you compress down), right? What's the difference between doing that with a compressor and an EQ?

I'll try to make this very easy.

There is no relationship between a compressor and an equalizer. They are completely different.

An equalizer only raises volume. Just like any volume knob, it raises volume to your signal regardless (linear) of what signal is coming in. If it's quiet or loud, you are raising volume the same %. The only extra capability an EQ has is the ability to raise the volume of specified frequency bands, while leaving other bands intact. An equalizer has 3 basic controls. Level, frequency, and Q. Level, is level. Frequency is the specific central frequency band to be raised or lowered. Q specifies how wide or narrow a band will be affected. A high Q will affect a narrow band around the center freqeuncy. A low Q is wider and will affect a greater range around the center frequency.

So when describing an EQ setting, it would be like: A frequency of 600Hz at +12dbfs with a Q of 8 will sound "honky"

A compressor is a dynamic volume shaper. A compressor does not process the signal based on frequency. A compressor is driven by level and level alone. Loud signals trigger a compressor to attenuate (lower level). So unlike an equalizer, the adjustments from a compressor are not linear. The adjustments are based on level variations from the signal. The user sets how sensitive the compressor reacts to level. The user also sets how the compressor will react, ie: the speed and character of the actual attenuation. The user cannot set a compressor to boost certain frequencies, like with an EQ. Again, The user can only set the compressor to act on loudness. This is why an equalizer and compressor used in a processing chain is the most powerful weapon for tracking, mixing and mastering.

When describing a compressor setting, one might say: A low threshold of -10, at a high 15:1 ratio with short attack and long release will sound "overcompressed".

IMO it's good to EQ before compression and after. You can use EQ to lower certain frequencies that provide too much loudness, which in turn, might affect the compressor. (low frequencies can = high level). High levels caused by low frequencies cause the compressor to work too hard to attenuate, which affects every other signal passing thru the compressor. After compression, EQ can be used again to bring back certain frequencies that were affected by compression.

...

I actually came here to ask... so what are the guidelines of summer? Because anything can be "summery" ...it's all personal. Is this just a do anything comp?
Dark Octave
Banned
(03-09-2009, 10:04 PM)
Dark Octave's Avatar
I'm not sure what a summer song sounds like.

I'll have to wait till I get home to listen to examples.

Kind of kicking myself for missing out on the Chiptunes and the Wipeout one. Especially considering that I made something for both, but just didn't have the confidence to submit them.
lil smoke
Banned
(03-09-2009, 10:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Dark Octave

I'm not sure what a summer song sounds like.

I'll have to wait till I get home to listen to examples.

Kind of kicking myself for missing out on the Chiptunes and the Wipeout one. Especially considering that I made something for both, but just didn't have the confidence to submit them.

Are you crazy? Your music was sounding pro. Do you do this for a living?
Fabiollo
Member
(03-09-2009, 10:07 PM)
Fabiollo's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto

I'll put your name up in the OP.

While I've got a studio guys here, can you explain something to me? Functionally, what's the difference between a compressor and an equalizer? A compressor usually just lowers low freqs and raises high ones (unless you compress down), right? What's the difference between doing that with a compressor and an EQ?

Done, done and done.

Afaik, compression is about dynamics, not frequencies. An EQ acts on the frequencies, a Comp narrows the dynamic range. That means it makes the quiet parts louder, and levels the louder parts. There are lots of compression types, anyway, and really understanding how to use the various comp properly is black magic. :) To me, at least.

Edit: beaten with style by Smoke :D
Last edited by Fabiollo; 03-09-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Dark Octave
Banned
(03-09-2009, 10:17 PM)
Dark Octave's Avatar

Originally Posted by lil smoke

Are you crazy? Your music was sounding pro. Do you do this for a living?

Thanks man.

It has payed the rent a couple of times and allowed me to buy a few pieces of gear and programs. I do a lot of work on games but the money isn't frequent enough for me to live on yet. Hopefully that will change soon.
LiveFromKyoto
make it rain, motherfucker
(03-09-2009, 10:17 PM)
LiveFromKyoto's Avatar

Originally Posted by lil smoke

I'll try to make this very easy.

There is no relationship between a compressor and an equalizer. They are completely different.

An equalizer only raises volume. Just like any volume knob, it raises volume to your signal regardless (linear) of what signal is coming in. If it's quiet or loud, you are raising volume the same %. The only extra capability an EQ has is the ability to raise the volume of specified frequency bands, while leaving other bands intact. An equalizer has 3 basic controls. Level, frequency, and Q. Level, is level. Frequency is the specific central frequency band to be raised or lowered. Q specifies how wide or narrow a band will be affected. A high Q will affect a narrow band around the center freqeuncy. A low Q is wider and will affect a greater range around the center frequency.

So when describing an EQ setting, it would be like: A frequency of 600Hz at +12dbfs with a Q of 8 will sound "honky"

A compressor is a dynamic volume shaper. A compressor does not process the signal based on frequency. A compressor is driven by level and level alone. Loud signals trigger a compressor to attenuate (lower level). So unlike an equalizer, the adjustments from a compressor are not linear. The adjustments are based on level variations from the signal. The user sets how sensitive the compressor reacts to level. The user also sets how the compressor will react, ie: the speed and character of the actual attenuation. The user cannot set a compressor to boost certain frequencies, like with an EQ. Again, The user can only set the compressor to act on loudness. This is why an equalizer and compressor used in a processing chain is the most powerful weapon for tracking, mixing and mastering.

When describing a compressor setting, one might say: A low threshold of -10, at a high 15:1 ratio with short attack and long release will sound "overcompressed".

IMO it's good to EQ before compression and after. You can use EQ to lower certain frequencies that provide too much loudness, which in turn, might affect the compressor. (low frequencies can = high level). High levels caused by low frequencies cause the compressor to work too hard to attenuate, which affects every other signal passing thru the compressor. After compression, EQ can be used again to bring back certain frequencies that were affected by compression.

Okay - so EQ is just a bunch of glorified volume knobs, while a compressor is like wedging the signal through a tunnel? If it gets too high it hits the ceiling?

If that's so, can you explain the difference between what a compressor does and a limiter?


I actually came here to ask... so what are the guidelines of summer? Because anything can be "summery" ...it's all personal. Is this just a do anything comp?

FightyF came up with the idea in the 4.0 thread, I'll just quote here what he said:


"While googling for some lists I found a Time article and a choice quote that reflects well what I'm trying to say here:

Summer is high season for pop. It's when record companies deliver their catchiest tunes and people obligingly get together and break up as if they're in a high-speed movie montage...Most of these songs are about people kissing, crying or partying. They're not high art. But then they're not supposed to be. They're just hits, very palpable hits.

So "Summer tunes" would give us some flexibility in terms of genres, and in the end it's something GAFers could just pop in their car while out on a drive during a sunny day."


I think the idea can be expanded to a general seasonal theme, or if one wants to keep it gaming related, a theme for sunny type of level in a game. But that's the general framework.
Minyobi
Member
(03-09-2009, 10:24 PM)
Minyobi's Avatar
I haven't exactly been posting as often as should be.

That being said, you guys wouldn't have a problem with me hauling out my tracker and attempting to contribute to the cause, would you?
SupraDarky
Member
(03-09-2009, 10:29 PM)
SupraDarky's Avatar
Ohhh we started this thread. Alrighty, I'm all for that theme.

Here's what could be my first submission, I still need to fix some stuff (there's a bit of a scratchy sound sometimes):

http://soundcloud.com/supradarky/supradarky-strollin
HappyBivouac
Member
(03-09-2009, 10:33 PM)
HappyBivouac's Avatar
I guess I don't have much leverage, but I think most people who take thier art seriously can take the concept of summer and turn it into something that reflects the concept through his or her own voice.

Making it any less subjective (trying to define "summer music" more specifically) would result in a dumbed-down mix of tracks, in my opinion. Interpretation is what makes things like this enjoyable.
lil smoke
Banned
(03-09-2009, 10:39 PM)

Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto

I think the idea can be expanded to a general seasonal theme, or if one wants to keep it gaming related, a theme for sunny type of level in a game. But that's the general framework.

Nah I like it. Categorized, but not limiting to the point where it's pointless. Doing stuff for games is fun and all, but it is a certain sound, which doesn't help in overall development unless you are practicing for game music.

A compressor has a user set ratio. A limiter has infinite ratio. Ratio is the amount of gain reduction. 2:1 is a popular compression ratio for light compression. This means two in one out. Your signal peaks at -8dbfs. With a 2:1 ratio, anything that goes above your threshold will be reduced down to -16dbfs. Higher ratios mean, more compression.

Very high compression IS limiting. Nothing is allowed above the threshold. Everything that reaches a certain volume will be attenuated by the same level. A limiter is less of a creative tool than a compressor, since it does not allow for the user set envelope shaping of the signal. A limiter is a functional tool, however in that it will catch and tame all peaks in the signal. A limiter is also great for getting bass to push thru a mix, since bass instruments are usually solid, consistent, and don't need to be shaped.
Chasteleth
Member
(03-09-2009, 10:41 PM)
Chasteleth's Avatar
I'm up for contributing this time. I'm interested to hear what summer means to other people musically.
Fusebox
Banned
(03-09-2009, 11:07 PM)
Fusebox's Avatar
Hey Kyoto, what software do you produce your music in? You should throw an EQ and a compressor on separate channels but playing the same tracks and flip between the two to get your ears used to the different changes an EQ and a comp can make to your sound. I recommend you chuck a drum loop on each channel for some dramatic results, hear what happens to the sound of your drums when you cut bass freqs on the EQ or push the attack right up on the comp.
btkadams
Member
(03-09-2009, 11:44 PM)
btkadams's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fusebox

Hey Kyoto, what software do you produce your music in? You should throw an EQ and a compressor on separate channels but playing the same tracks and flip between the two to get your ears used to the different changes an EQ and a comp can make to your sound. I recommend you chuck a drum loop on each channel for some dramatic results, hear what happens to the sound of your drums when you cut bass freqs on the EQ or push the attack right up on the comp.

what are you doing? this is a competition. you're not supposed to help people.

don't forget the sidechain lfk, rep that shit!
LiveFromKyoto
make it rain, motherfucker
(03-09-2009, 11:56 PM)
LiveFromKyoto's Avatar

Originally Posted by Minyobi

I haven't exactly been posting as often as should be.

That being said, you guys wouldn't have a problem with me hauling out my tracker and attempting to contribute to the cause, would you?


Of course not, the more the merrier.

Originally Posted by SDZeta

Ohhh we started this thread. Alrighty, I'm all for that theme.

Here's what could be my first submission, I still need to fix some stuff (there's a bit of a scratchy sound sometimes)

I gave it a listen, I like the melody, it's really idiosyncratic. I heard the scratches you're talking about. The cymbal crashes might need a bit of sharpening too, but I'm listening at work on horrible $6 headphones, so I can't say for sure until I get home.

Originally Posted by lil smoke

A compressor has a user set ratio. A limiter has infinite ratio. Ratio is the amount of gain reduction. 2:1 is a popular compression ratio for light compression. This means two in one out. Your signal peaks at -8dbfs. With a 2:1 ratio, anything that goes above your threshold will be reduced down to -16dbfs. Higher ratios mean, more compression.

Very high compression IS limiting. Nothing is allowed above the threshold. Everything that reaches a certain volume will be attenuated by the same level. A limiter is less of a creative tool than a compressor, since it does not allow for the user set envelope shaping of the signal. A limiter is a functional tool, however in that it will catch and tame all peaks in the signal. A limiter is also great for getting bass to push thru a mix, since bass instruments are usually solid, consistent, and don't need to be shaped.

I think I get it. A compressor is more dynamic than a limiter, which just sets a static ceiling.

Originally Posted by Chasteleth

I'm up for contributing this time. I'm interested to hear what summer means to other people musically.

Okay, I'll add you to the OP.

Originally Posted by Fusebox

Hey Kyoto, what software do you produce your music in?

Logic 8. I've had it since September, I'm pretty comfortable composing in it but still getting my head around the advanced stuff. I've never had any training outside of SFLogicNinja videos on Youtube.

I find the mixdown to be the biggest challenge by far. Even my 4.0 release hurts my ears to listen to.
Fusebox
Banned
(03-09-2009, 11:59 PM)
Fusebox's Avatar

Originally Posted by btkadams

what are you doing? this is a competition. you're not supposed to help people.

don't forget the sidechain lfk, rep that shit!

Lol, can't help myself - and I'll pimp the sidechain awesomeness the moment he has EQ and comp'ing handled.

Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto



Logic 8. I've had it since September, I'm pretty comfortable composing in it but still getting my head around the advanced stuff. I've never had any training outside of SFLogicNinja videos on Youtube.

Too easy then, create a couple of tracks. Drag the same drum loop to each track, drop a comp on one, an eq on the other and start trying to break them. Nothing explains the effect of an effect quite like hearing it being turned on and off over an audio loop.
LiveFromKyoto
make it rain, motherfucker
(03-10-2009, 12:10 AM)
LiveFromKyoto's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fusebox

Lol, can't help myself - and I'll pimp the sidechain awesomeness the moment he has EQ and comp'ing handled.

I've done sidechaining, the track I did for the late, lamented G.A.M.E. 3.1 had a healthy dose. Even my 4.0 track had some, but you can't hear it unless you do a before/after comparison with one of the instruments. I basically just used it there to create a vibrato with one of the synths.

I've hardly mastered it though. I tried imitating some Justice stuff and I just couldn't get some of the dramatic knees to come through like they do.


Too easy then, create a couple of tracks. Drag the same drum loop to each track, drop a comp on one, an eq on the other and start trying to break them. Nothing explains the effect of an effect quite like hearing it being turned on and off over an audio loop.

I really just asked because I wanted to understand the mechanical difference. At the end of the day they're both basically changing how loud different parts of a sound are. But I'll give that a shot when I get home.
Fusebox
Banned
(03-10-2009, 12:18 AM)
Fusebox's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto

At the end of the day they're both basically changing how loud different parts of a sound are.

Hmmm, this is sort of right at a fundamental level I guess, but not quite a description I'd ever use to explain them.

Compression is directly involved in regulating the volume of a part, but EQ is more involved with changing the 'tone'.
LiveFromKyoto
make it rain, motherfucker
(03-10-2009, 12:29 AM)
LiveFromKyoto's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fusebox

Hmmm, this is sort of right at a fundamental level I guess, but not quite a description I'd ever use to explain them.

Compression is directly involved in regulating the volume of a part, but EQ is more involved with changing the 'tone'.

I just meant that was my simple understanding before I asked. There is a lot I need to learn about soundwaves though. Particularly with regard to how "wide" a sound is. A lot of my tracks have a bunch of instruments crowding each other out, but professionally mastered stuff has as much going on but manages to have a lot of space for everything - I need to figure out how to do that.

Even just comparing the two tracks I've put up here - they both have roughly the same amount of instruments going, both have a healthy dose of reverb, but Lost in the rain is obviously much more crowded. It's clearly a reflection on the choice of instruments, but with synths I should be able to control how everything fits.

I listen to a lot of ambient chill, and the guys who are good at that are really good at creating a soundscape - even when there's no instrument playing, or a gap, it still sounds like there's something "there." I don't know if they're using ultra low freqs behind everything or what (I've tried that, and while it can make a track much warmer, it also tends to make things slushy).
Fusebox
Banned
(03-10-2009, 12:39 AM)
Fusebox's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto

I just meant that was my simple understanding before I asked.

Oh, well it was a good thing you asked then!

Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto

Particularly with regard to how "wide" a sound is. A lot of my tracks have a bunch of instruments crowding each other out, but professionally mastered stuff has as much going on but manages to have a lot of space for everything - I need to figure out how to do that.


Make PANNING your friend. If you put any part on 0 pan or full pan you want to have a good reason for it. Drums and bass can hang around the centre, you can throw cymbals and pads out wide, and if you want to really throw a sound over your shoulder and to the side then you can put it out of phase. But for the start, it's all about the panning. Use your ears for it, play your song, grab the pan knob for a single part, close your eyes and start panning the part around, you'll notice some places its dead, but some places it leaps out of the speakers. A lot of the pros actually listen to their mix in mono while they pan a sound around. When the sound being panned pops out of mono mix you know it'll pop out of your stereo mixdown.

edit - Have a listen to the guitar I recorded in this tune, hear how it's waaay out to the right? I put it out of phase with the Phase utility in Ableton, it's a great way to make space for parts:

http://users.tpg.com.au/djfusion//twochords.mp3
Last edited by Fusebox; 03-10-2009 at 12:53 AM.

Thread Tools