• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

So I saw The Bob Next Door last night and apparently this is a well received modern episode? I dunno, there was one or two nice gags (the Flanders bit at the end in particular) but the rest of it seemed really weak. Ridiculous Face/Off premise and a bunch of retreading of ideas from earlier Bob episodes that felt more like a pathetic attempt to say "hey! Remember when this happened in a previous episode? Weren't those good times?" than homage with the rake stepping and the recycling of the "Bart stalling for time until the police arrive" conclusion.

Reaction face from a classic episode that accurately summarises not only my feelings for the episode itself but also the fact that it's held up as an example of quality modern episodes to make up for bringing that stuff into this otherwise super fun happy thread.
I enjoy plenty of modern day Simpsons episodes and have always thought The Bob Next Door is nothing but utter crap.
Nobody with good taste is holding it up as an example of "quality" modern Simpsons storytelling.

AAequal

Banned
Going to re-watch s3 and starting with Bart the Murderer. Third season really is quality from start to end.

cbTed.jpg

Edna:Bart Simpson, you're late.
obrfX.jpg

Edna:Go fill out a tardy slip.
O8YYL.jpg

Bart:But I'm only five...ten, twenty... Forty minutes!
0cdVy.jpg

That's pretty damn late!

Kinyou

I'm giving a speech at my brother's wedding next month.

I'm seriously considering including this line.
Probably not as applicable but I always loved this one

Homer: Now son, on your first day of school, I'd like to pass on the words of advice my father gave me.
Grampa Simpson: Homer, you're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly! If a strange man offers you a ride, I say, take it!

Probably not as applicable but I always loved this one

How so? Change "Homer" for the brother's name, then say how the stranger turned out to be the wife.

Personally, I'd encourage you to go all "I'm Mr. Burns, blah, blah, blah! Do this, do that, blah, blah, blah! I think I'm so big, blah blah blah!"

Going to re-watch s3 and starting with Bart the Murderer. Third season really is quality from start to end.

http://i.imgur.com/cbTed.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/obrfX.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/O8YYL.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0cdVy.jpg[/IG]
That's pretty damn late![/QUOTE]

Fuck, I'm laughing way too hard at this. [img]http://i.imgur.com/KuGsj.gif

AAequal

Banned
What scene was that from? It doesn't ring any bells whatsoever :(

The Springfield Connection. Marge pursues Snake and Homer goes after Marge trying to stop him but runs out of breath after few steps. Later when Marge catches Snake, Homer arrives to the scene in a policecar, still panting :D

jcutner

cbTed.jpg

obrfX.jpg

O8YYL.jpg

0cdVy.jpg

That's pretty damn late!

hahah yessss
i say this to myself every time i'm 15+ min late for work

123rl

I forgot that Series 9 had some great moments. It's a really strong season overall. It was a definite change of pace for the show but it's very funny. There's quite a lot of episodes in s8-s10 that are real classics.

AAequal

Banned
9v3YD.jpg

TTsco.jpg

Machine: You've reached the Party Line! In a moment, you'll be connected to a hot party, with some of the world's most beautiful women! Now, let's join the party!
UCd3o.jpg

Krusty: Hello?
Man 1: Hello?
Man 2: Hello?
Apu: Are there any women here?
Krusty: Hello!?
Apu: Are you a beautiful woman?
Krusty: Do I sound like a beautiful woman?
Apu: This is not as hot a party as I anticipated.

Dishwalla

Banned
I haven't seen old simpsons in so long. I really wish they would either put the series on netflix streaming or put them on bluray.

The Simpsons won't hit Netflix until the show ends, that was one of the things discussed last year with that contract dispute. Once the show ends Fox can negotiate new syndication deals with cable companies and digital distribution services, but until then all you'll see is the shows in syndication on your local TV stations(part of the contract that was written in 1994).

Just buy the DVDs. All the seasons that matter, aka 1-10, can be had for fairly cheap now. Bluray really isn't going to make the old shows look that much better.

AAequal

Banned
Today's episode Flaming Moe. It's a great episode but I have to admit I might have seen this too many times.

vc1hQ.jpg

QaDgZ.jpg

tnaj1.png

lIiaH.jpg

Ms.K: Bart, are those liquor bottles?
J3pzC.jpg

Bart: I brought enough for everybody.

sZsTA.jpg

Ms.K: Take those to the teachers' lounge! You can have what's left at the end of the day.

yaaAJ.png

Brace yourselves, gentlemen. According to the gas chromatograph, the secret ingredient is... Love!?
P7Cdi.png

Who's been screwing with this thing!

Clip, not a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUD6sBrPB30

I love this episode. It's so stupid. This is the age where the Simpsons, especially Homer, was really stupid and whacky but still managed to be funny. Shortly after this is when the show was whacky but depressingly un-funny

"Dad, women won't like being shot in the face"

"Women will like what I tell them to like!"

Just the way that line is delivered haha. But yes, season 10 feels like the drop off in quality.

Natetan

Clip, not a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUD6sBrPB30

I love this episode. It's so stupid. This is the age where the Simpsons, especially Homer, was really stupid and whacky but still managed to be funny. Shortly after this is when the show was whacky but depressingly un-funny

would you believe i was able to get in an everything-is-ok alarm quote at work the other day?

I also think of it every time the london tube announcements say 'there is a good service on all london underground lines'.

you CAN'T turn it off!

123rl

would you believe i was able to get in an everything-is-ok alarm quote at work the other day?

I also think of it every time the london tube announcements say 'there is a good service on all london underground lines'.

you CAN'T turn it off!

Haha, nice one

I'm watching Lisa Gets An A. It's the episode where Homer buys a lobster to grow and eat. Lots of quotable lines in this episode

lunchtoast

Homer: How could you? Haven't you learned anything from that guy that gives those sermons in church? Captain What's-his-name. We live in a society of laws, why do you think I took you to see all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well I didn't hear anybody laughing. Did you? Except at that guy who made sound effects. Vroom. Beep. Honk. Honk. Ha-ha. Where was I? Oh yeah, stay out of my booze.

8fAMO.png

Skinner: I'm telling you people, the earth revolves around the sun!
Abe: Burn him! [lights the pyre]
Shutton: What a story! [takes a photo]
Abe: [chasing him] You've stolen my soul!

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
"Dad, women won't like being shot in the face"

"Women will like what I tell them to like!"

Just the way that line is delivered haha. But yes, season 10 feels like the drop off in quality.

I think this episode is the one with one of my favourite random quotes, when they're at the Edison museum.

Tourguy: Hey folks do you like riddles? Oookay then. How many geniuses does it take to invent a lightbulb? Just one... Thomas Edison.
Crowd: (Laughs and Applauds him) It's true too, funny and true.
The way the woman in the crowd says that line kills me every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom