• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii firmware 4.0: SD and SDHC Card menu confirmed! Already Installed HBC is safe!

Tain

VC Arcade is the big deal. We'll see if it becomes all that great.

Lord knows there's something to be said about the Wii being the last bastion of 240p; let's put it to good use.

So basically, there's no need to have shit on the Wii menu anymore, save the Wii channels!

Excellent!

Also this: :D :D :D

246s3a1.jpg

MoogPaul

I have homebrew installed, I have the update installed. My homebrew works fine, however, reading times from the SD game seem to have gotten worse. Other than that, works fine.

FoxHimself said:
So basically, there's no need to have shit on the Wii menu anymore, save the Wii channels!

Excellent!

http://i43.tinypic.com/246s3a1.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

Nintendo are marvelous. Thanks for doing this so quickly, guys!

"With Wii system menu 4.0, Nintendo supports high capacity cards, up to 32 GB"

YAY!

Ninja Kn1ght said:
How long does it take to load larger games like N64 titles from SD?

About 15 seconds or so, not bad :D

I'm pretty happy with the solution, now we just need to see file size increases for Wii Ware, Virtual Arcade service and Saturn/PS1/Dreamcast downloadable games :D

OMG SDHC SUPPORT CONFIRMED :D :D :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
FoxHimself said:

Excellent!

http://i43.tinypic.com/246s3a1.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

Good, I am really glad this feature is in.

Hero of Legend said:
The channels themselves, are they able to be accessed from the SD Card as well?

I'm sure they would be, but I wanted to know for sure.

Yeah, you can "run" a game from the SD card, after a progress bar fills up. It's fiddling with the transfer in the background.

TheGreatDave said:
When you manage channels in the system menu now, you can "move" a file, rather than copy it. So it autodeletes when it's done. Is that new? I'm sure I remember it not being the case.

Yes that's new and it makes perfect sense given the new solution. Since you can redownload the games anytime, it doesn't matter if you lose your SD card either (though mine will be in my Wii permanently as I'm sure will be the case with most people).

I just tried it out on my Wii. Works pretty well. There is a new SD logo next to the Wii button in the lower left corner of the main menu. Clicking it loads all of the channels on the SD card. It is similar in appearance to the normal channel menu. The first time you load it, it gives you a quick walk through of how the system works. Saves still need to be in Wii memory. It took about 5 seconds to load all of the channel icons on my 2GB SD card. I've got about 20 channels on there.

I tried loading Sonic the Hedgehog. The load time was slightly slower than loading a normal Wii channel, but overall just a few seconds. Once the game loaded, there was a slight pause before the action started, less than a second. After that, the game ran as normal.

I don't know, I'm happy with it. I was hoping the SD channels would load along with the normal channels. I don't like having to go into sub-menus. But it works pretty well. It is certainly a big step up from what we had previously.

By the way, I didn't have a message from Nintendo on my message board telling me to update. Had to initiate it manually.

I'm in the process of moving and my camera is packed away, so unfortunately these are all from my iPhone.

1.JPG

Wii Main Menu

2.JPG

Initially Loading The SD Card

3.JPG

SD Channel View

4.JPG

Star Tropics On The SD Card

5.JPG

Star Tropics Launching

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
ok awesome. Now where can I find a great deal on SD cards that will work with the Wii?

Capndrake said:
Bigger news: Arcade games on VC.

Mappy, Starforce, Tower of Druaga and Gaplus are available in Europe right now. 500 points each.
Wait, really? Like, official arcade releases? Not some system port? Damn.

farnham

Banned
i hope they will have cps2 support (dungeon and dragons 2 )

i mean neo geo is working technically cps 2 should work as well

Cheesemeister said:
Yeah, you can "run" a game from the SD card, after a progress bar fills up. It's fiddling with the transfer in the background.

Actually I was referring to like the Nintendo Channel and Wii Speak channels, etc. :p

Ridley327

I posted this in the other thread, but it's important enough to mention here, as well.

IMPORTANT UPDATE

For shits and grins, I checked the memory on the Wii after doing my experiment and came across this information.

1. It does not create a temporary cache. It adds a general SD Channel option to the Channels part of your system's memory. This does not actually leave the system until you actually erase it; even turning it off won't get rid of it. This is important because....

2. ...it's a continually growing file depending on what you send to the Wii. So, for example, if you load the Nintendo Channel and then the Internet Channel, the SD Channel file adds the Internet Channel's size to it. This wouldn't be so bad...

3. ...if it wasn't for the fact that any save files associated with a channel needs to save on the system itself; these files cannot be moved or copied to the SD card at all.

MoxManiac

farnham said:
i hope they will have cps2 support (dungeon and dragons 2 )

i mean neo geo is working technically cps 2 should work as well

CPS2 support would be amazing! I would buy a wii arcade stick if that happened.

Anyways, this is great news all around. If there are concerns about flash wear and tear (aren't flash memory good for an ungodly number of flashes anyways?), just keep your most played games on the system memory.

webrunner

A note: I was using an SD card as storage before and it often took a minute or two to move stuff.. but it only takes a few seconds to launch from the SD card

Ranger X

OMG MEGATON.

Finally. Took 2 years and 4 months to understand the basics of storage.

This probably means we have chances NOA will "get" the VC right around 2026.

Ridley327 said:
I posted this in the other thread, but it's important enough to mention here, as well.

Are you sure? I ran Paper Mario, exited, checked the menu and had a 250 block file for it. Went back, played Mario 64 off the SD card, checked and I had a 90 block cache file on the Wii memory.

Ridley327

TheGreatDave said:
Are you sure? I ran Paper Mario, exited, checked the menu and had a 250 block file for it. Went back, played Mario 64 off the SD card, checked and I had a 90 block cache file on the Wii memory.

Hmm, now that you mention it, you're right. I forgot how big the Internet Channel was, so I just assumed it added to the Nintendo Channel. I guess you can cross point two off, then.

TheGreatDave said:

Yeah, same here. It's not adding stuff to it.

stuminus3

:lol @ Nintendo's guerilla marketing these days.

"Hey we did this awesome thing. By the way, you can pick it up on the way out the door. No hype train for you!"

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I upgraded and loaded Homebrew Channel just fine, not able to run any actual homebrew/GeckOS or stuff like that since my SDcard is deader than roadkill.

Virtual Console Arcade is a stupid name, why not just call it Virtual Arcade?

Come on Virtual Handheld! :D

BTW don't SDHC cards feature faster loading times than standard SD Cards? Has anyone tried one? How much faster are they?

Oops, looks like I'm fucked. The auto move process of the SD card channel also moved my Homebrew Channel, and now it refuses to load or move back :lol

oh well.

webrunner

FoxHimself said:
Yeah, same here. It's not adding stuff to it.

In fact, if you look at the data, it actually is explicitly for the last thing you ran. I tried running a few programs, and the last one i ran was Strong Bad ep 1.. which is 319 blocks. The sd card data on the system memory says this:
[319]
SD Card Menu Data
Homestar Ruiner

GaussTek

FoxHimself said:
Oops, looks like I'm fucked. The auto move process of the SD card channel also moved my Homebrew Channel, and now it refuses to load or move back :lol

oh well.

What the hell?

That is optional, right? I mean, Is there an option to move just whatever you want?

Eteric Rice

Ranger X said:
OMG MEGATON.

Finally. Took 2 years and 4 months to understand the basics of storage.

This probably means we have chances NOA will "get" the VC right around 2026.

The Wii is 2 years, 4 months old?

Damn, it seems like its been longer...

Ridley327

zigg said:
So, the question is, if you load the same game off SD subsequent times, does it need to reload it?

As long as it's the last channel you loaded, it does not need to reload the channel at all. Rejoice!

Now that I've finally figured it all out, this does seem to be an adequate solution and will work pretty damn well.

Top Bottom