• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

1-D_FTW

You can't really believe any rumors when it concerns Nintendo. But that sure would have been nice, wouldn't it? That SMG video is stunning.

Jaagen

This thread makes me so want to buy a WiiHD if it comes out. I don't care if I allready have a Wii(I could just lend it to my brother anyway)

At the very least, it would be awesome if the successor to Wii would somehow upscale the old games to look like this. It would be huge incentive to upgrade, knowing your current library would get a new improved look.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
1-D_FTW said:
You can't really believe any rumors when it concerns Nintendo. But that sure would have been nice, wouldn't it? That SMG video is stunning.

See, who I heard it from was someone I considered quite reliable, to the point where I'm inclined to believe that at the time I was told Nintendo were humouring the idea of a WiiHD mini upgrade for release this year, likely with a M+ bundle, and ultimately decided to pull out and ride the year out with just M+.

I just hope whatever system Nintendo releases next is indeed HD, but more importantly will render old Wii games in HD.

1-D_FTW

EatChildren said:
See, who I heard it from was someone I considered quite reliable, to the point where I'm inclined to believe that at the time I was told Nintendo were humouring the idea of a WiiHD mini upgrade for release this year, likely with a M+ bundle, and ultimately decided to pull out and ride the year out with just M+.

I just hope whatever system Nintendo releases next is indeed HD, but more importantly will render old Wii games in HD.

Fair enough. I just have a healthy enough distrust of Nintendo to believe NOA doesn't even know what NCL is doing (which makes leaks so difficult when everyone is in the dark.) Hope it really was their direction and they only decided to hold off so they could incorporate their next gen motion tech to combat MS and Sony relaunches.

EDIT: And I just mean refinements to motion. Maybe a camera. But whatever it is, in the box so it's standard.

1-D_FTW said:
Brain_stew has posted this link before and I've ordered it successfully. Just a word of caution for someone who's never used dealextreme, it takes forever to arrive. I had pretty much written off my adapter ever arriving. And for under 3 dollars, wasn't even gonna bother getting upset about it. Then it arrived. Not sure how they can ship from Asia for that price, but no complaints that they do.

I've always got my stuff delivered within about a week to the UK, either way, at that price its worth the wait imo.

1-D_FTW said:
Emulation sucks. It requires tons of raw horsepower and is buggy even in the best cases.

But since it's Nintendo, they wouldn't have to emulate the hardware to accomplish this. They could simply make WiiHD a super powered Wii that rendered the games at higher resolutions (and AA & AF.) Think of how a PC renders games at higher resolutions the more powerful the hardware.

As far as I'm aware this is pretty much impossible. PC games are specifically coded to support multiple resolutions, Wii games aren't Wii games are free to program to the metal as well, there's no driver in the way to intercept calls and add filters (AA/AF/SSAO) like you have on the PC side.

It "may" be possible but its not as trivial as you make it seem and Nintendo need to be getting away from their archaic fixed function architecture anyway, not expanding upon it.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Holy shit, so Super Paper Mario seems to be one of the games that runs perfect no matter what. Anyone tried it? pics? If it's true I'm installing a 64bit OS tonight!!!

Also, will 2gb vs 4gb ram make much of a difference?

1-D_FTW

brain_stew said:
I've always got my stuff delivered within about a week to the UK, either way, at that price its worth the wait imo.

I'm on east coast of the U.S. It was at least 2 weeks and probably closer to 3. But wasn't a big deal.

brain_stew said:
As far as I'm aware this is pretty much impossible. PC games are specifically coded to support multiple resolutions, Wii games aren't Wii games are free to program to the metal as well, there's no driver in the way to intercept calls and add filters (AA/AF/SSAO) like you have on the PC side.

It "may" be possible but its not as trivial as you make it seem and Nintendo need to be getting away from their archaic fixed function architecture anyway, not expanding upon it.

Well I figured they could just keep in legacy support and have additional layers on top. As for the rest, didn't realize it would be so difficult.

If emulation is the only way to go, I'm less optimistic it'll happen. You would think if you knew all the hardware secrets like first parties did, they could code much more efficient emulators. But Sony and MS haven't exactly set the world on fire with their efforts, so raw horsepower must be >>> intimate knowledge of the hardware.

vazel

Banned
I'm disappointed at the state of this emulator. The only one of my games I got to in-game so far was Luigi's Mansion and it was with no sound. And it ran at a much lower framerate than what the framerate counter displayed. I'll check back again in a few months.

Makes it even more amazing to see how good ps2 emulation is you'd think emulating the EE with its two VU units and GS would be more difficult.

jett

D-Member
ant1532 said:
so apparently none of these games really run at full fps with sound?

Depends on your PC. This will not run even remotely well on a low-end or even mid-end gaming PC.

vazel

Banned
bee said:
completely wrong, your pc probably just isn't fast enough or you've set it up wrong
It says right there in the Dolphin box with nearly all the games I've put in that it's 'broken' or 'intro' or 'problems:eek:ther'. Like I said the only game I was able to run was Luigi's Mansion and that was with no sound. And even though Dolphin's framerate counter said it ran at 50-60fps it was definitely not, it was more like 15fps(I have an e5200@2.8GHz and 4850). You can read at the Dolphin forum that when people get games running reasonably well it's still with glitches in the video or audio.

Edit: Apparently there's another indicator beyond 'ingame' called 'perfect' as per this list. I'll try some of those games.

darkwings

Banned
jett said:
Depends on your PC. This will not run even remotely well on a low-end or even mid-end gaming PC.

latest revision has gotten a fantastic fps boost though. Wind Waker is running around 40-50 fps for as before it was around 25fps. Dolphin has made fantastic progress.

vazel

Banned
Nah it's more a matter of the emulator needing more work(all the bugs ingame shows that). I can run pcsx2 much better than I can run Dolphin.

Mario Galaxy is one of the few games that does seem to run well with few if any glitches. I'll try that.

yanhero

bee said:
completely wrong, your pc probably just isn't fast enough or you've set it up wrong

Completely wrong? I haven't been able to run any game I care about at full speed with my core i7 920. Tatsunoko slows down every time I use a special, and SMG runs at a consistent 20fps, Metroid Prime and Zelda:WW are defiantly playable, but they are also definitely not running at full speed consistently.

I don't really see what settings I could have messed up. Unzipping a newly downloaded R3661 ver. of Dolphin, I check the "Dual-Core Enable" option, and thats it. Is there anything else I need to set? Please let me know, I would love to play all these games at full speed at 1080p :D

MNC

vazel said:
It says right there in the Dolphin box with nearly all the games I've put in that it's 'broken' or 'intro' or 'problems:eek:ther'. Like I said the only game I was able to run was Luigi's Mansion and that was with no sound. And even though Dolphin's framerate counter said it ran at 50-60fps it was definitely not, it was more like 15fps(I have an e5200@2.8GHz and 4850). You can read at the Dolphin forum that when people get games running reasonably well it's still with glitches in the video or audio.

Edit: Apparently there's another indicator beyond 'ingame' called 'perfect' as per this list. I'll try some of those games.
ingame means what it is, ingame, rendering the game itself with decent visuals, while perfect means you can complete a game from beginning to end.

Zenith

Banned
I got the latest version after a break (I only have 1 Wii game which I've completed) and although frames rendered % is up from 40% to 70% it's actually slower because it's not skipping the frames and it waits for them to be rendered. is there a frame skip option I'm missing.

Hope you guys didn't forget about Gamecube emulation...

2re7equ.jpg

http://i29.tinypic.com/2h5s6d2.jpg (Full HD)

beautiful Zelda screens.

swear to God, if Nintendo would just make a Wii that rendered the same games we already own on our Wii's in HD like this, I'm fukin SOLD.

darkwings

Banned
my settings are btw:

Intel dualcore E8400 3gzh @ 3.5 ghz
4GB ram
Windows 7
Geforce gts 250 1GB ram

beautiful Zelda screens.

swear to God, if Nintendo would just make a Wii that rendered the same games we already own on our Wii's in HD like this, I'm fukin SOLD.

yeah the game is amazing eyecandy, I am going to play some more and then take some pics with AF and AA at 16x :D

dolphin is getting better everyday.

Mithos

Dreams-Visions said:
beautiful Zelda screens.

I have owned all Nintendo consoles except the Virtual Boy, and I can say for a fact, that if Nintendo even thinks about releasing that WiiHD you seem to want, I hope they all crash and burn.

Unless the next homeconsole from Nintendo at least are up to par with PS360, Nintendo should not release it.

Mithos said:
I have owned all Nintendo consoles except the Virtual Boy, and I can say for a fact, that if Nintendo even thinks about releasing that WiiHD you seem to want, I hope they all crash and burn.

Unless the next homeconsole from Nintendo at least are up to par with PS360, Nintendo should not release it.
I feel different. Then again, I'm not thinking about a completely new console that plays games that the regular Wii wouldn't play.

I'm talking about what equates to the difference between a iPhone 3G vs. and iPhone 3GS. More powerful hardware which will allow a normal Wii game simply look better on screen.

in that way, it wouldn't be much different than going from DS to DSi or some such.

bridegur

Mithos said:

For a console to output Wii/GC games at 720/1080p, wouldn't it have to be at least as powerful as a 360/PS3?

Mithos

bridegur said:
For a console to output Wii/GC games at 720/1080p, wouldn't it have to be at least as powerful as a 360/PS3?

Not if you want the current Wii graphics but in 720p/1080p.

Zenith

Banned
darkwings said:
that's the point though, if you want HD on Wii, then the hardware must be much better...

better but not as powerful as PS360 if it's last gen textures, geometry, lighting, etc but at a higher resolution.

It's like could a PC that runs Path of Neo at 1280 run Mass Effect at 640?

Cday

Banned
K' Dash said:
WTF I only care about WW and TP with sound, is this true? I'm working right now :(

Dolphins compatibility list still labels them as being able to go in game but may crash randomly. This usually means that there's little chance you'd be able to actually finish the game from start to finish. At this rate it won't be long before they're perfected though.

darkwings

Banned
Zenith said:
better but not as powerful as PS360 if it's last gen textures, geometry, lighting, etc but at a higher resolution.

sure it doesnt need to be as powerful as PS360, but might as well not half-ass it either. We'll see.

WTF I only care about WW and TP with sound, is this true? I'm working right now :(

I am running WW with sound right now...ill upload to youtube :)

edit: can you record movies with fraps?

Zenith

Banned
Cday said:
Dolphins compatibility list still labels them as being able to go in game but may crash randomly. This usually means that there's little chance you'd be able to actually finish the game from start to finish. At this rate it won't be long before they're perfected though.

compat lists are usually out of date. Check the forums or just search youtube for Dolphin *name of game*

Mithos

Zenith said:

Excactly, and this is why I personaly hope Nintendo DO NOT release a new:

WiiHD/Wii+
-------------
1Ghz CPU, 128Mb ram, and added ram to the gpu, so it can do 720p output.

I'd like to see a real successor to the Wii having the same power as PS360.

Top Bottom