• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

Durante

Revision 5185 fixes the half screen problem in Another Code: R
dolphin-2010-03-11-20-e4or.jpg

Nabs

I should be doing hw said:
Can you post your settings in Dolphin and PC specs? I've got the game running at 60fps at both 1080p and 720p with 2xSSAA and 16xAF but there is some sort of stuttering when moving the screen in the map and as it scrolls during gameplay.
Running a i5@3Ghz and have a 5850.

you should post your settings. and are you using the latest revision?

Jin34

How do you guys make it so when you change to a newer revision all the settings and the games list stay the same? I know where the save files are to copy/paste them to a newer build but thats about it.

GWX

kitchenmotors said:
Some dude made a build that auto-reconnects and it works great. I was having issues before but not anymore. It's x64 version though.

http://forums.dolphin-emu.com/thread-7751.html

I just downloaded that build, and while I no longer have Wii-Remote disconnections, the emulator locks up after 5 minutes or so. The music keeps looping and nothing happens.

:(

Someone, help me!

fake edit: playing NSMB Wii of course

So OK. This probably already been discussed before but I can't find it. Is the general opinion that if this emulator can run Wii games in 720P, then Nintendo theoretically could put out an HD version of the Wii that could do the exact same thing? Or is it more complicated than that?

scitek said:
[IMG ]http://i44.tinypic.com/34hv3gn.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG ]http://i39.tinypic.com/j982m0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG ]http://i39.tinypic.com/fn4jrb.jpg[/IMG]

Found these on another forum.

I thought NeoGaf was against Piracy...

Kenka said:
Sweet Lord, Move version ? :eek:o
What game is that?

Nabs said:
you should post your settings. and are you using the latest revision?
Ok, I will in a sec and yeah one of the latest, at the time I posted that I was, but thier seems to be a new one every hour so I can't say yes for certain :lol
Just checked, I'm on revision 5178

Chris R

Ok, hopefully simple questions that should be easy to fix. Finally have all my Wii/GC games that I want to play on my PC and loaded into Dolphin. The thing is I want to be able to edit the stuff in the title/banner area when browsing the game list and don't seem to be able to change anything right now. Are these forever unchangeable?

Vizion28

Banned
DCEmu Reviews was informed by VDIGI that they have just released VD-W3 Wii HDMI Upscaler Processor. This is the world first dedicated Wii HDMI upscaler, it can support connection though HDMI or DVI, and enjoy resolution up to 1080p or monitor resolution 1680x1050.

* For DVI monitor users, you may need to order the optional Female DVI to Male HDMI converter, so that you can plug your monitor DVI end to the VD-W3 HDMI end for the video, and for audio, you may connect your PC speaker 3.5mm plug to the VD-W3 audio jack.
* For HDTV users (make sure you have HDMI input), what you need is a HDMI cable, you may purchase it together with VD-W3.

VD-W3 HDMI Upscaler Processor is available now for US$75.00.

Specs

* Input: Wii AV Connector x 1, USB Type A Plug x 1.
* Output: HDMI x1 , 3.5mm Stereo Audio Jack.
* Video In Supported: EDTV(480i/576i), SDTV(480p/576p)
* Video Out Supported : 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1650x1050 (at refresh rate 59.94Hz)
* Audio Out: HDMI audio, Analog audio.
* Bi-Color LED: Blue and Red.
* Operating Temperature: 5°C to 60°C (41°F to 140°F)
* Dimensions (approximate): 12cm (L) x 7cm (W) x 2.5cm (H)
* Mass (approximate): ~180g

Powerful Video Signal conversion

* Crystal shape image, Outstanding picture quality.
* Full HD (1080p) output.
* True 10-Bits high definition video scaler engine.
* AV grade scaler engine

User Friendly

* No external power required.
* Easy to setup.
* LED status indication.

Wide Range Video Display support

* Support TV (HDMI) and PC Monitor (DVI).
* HDMI-Audio and Analog audio out.
* Various HDTV video out.
* Native resolution for LCD monitor.

http://n4g.com/tech/News-496523.aspx

web01

If the HD upscaler is legit + actually works good, I will start playing wii again.

Playing wii at 480p on a native 1080p set looks like crap at the moment and i cant deal with it.

jarosh

i'm sorry, but what magic are you guys expecting from this? it's an upscaler. it might look marginally better than your tv's internal upscaler but that's it. it wont' suddenly make the wii render in a higher resolution, if that's what you're thinking. you will still be playing your wii at 480p on a 1080p set.

Vizion28

Banned
jarosh said:
i'm sorry, but what magic are you guys expecting from this? it's an upscaler. it might look marginally better than your tv's internal upscaler but that's it. it wont' suddenly make the wii render in a higher resolution, if that's what you're thinking. you will still be playing your wii at 480p on a 1080p set.

But aren't most games on HD consoles upscaled? Only a very few HD games have 1080p as native resolution. So I've read.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Vizion28 said:
But aren't most games on HD consoles upscaled? Only a very few HD games have 1080p as native resolution. So I've read.
They're not upscaled from 480p though
even though so many games come close :p

jarosh

if the wii looks like shit on your tv now, it will still look like shit with this thing. i can guarantee you that. take a 480p screenshot, start up photoshop, resize it to 1080p: that's what it will look like at best.

jarosh

yeah, i'd stay far far away from that thing... conveniently all the zoomed in pics and most of the other screenshots show anti-aliased text, pre-rendered cutscenes, title screens, menu screens etc.: all of these look just as smooth without the device. that pic of link might even be intentionally misleading. it looks like it's from a cutscene of smash bros., twilight princess will NOT look like that. the in-game shots look just like the wii would look through component on any lcd. there's no reason to waste 75 bucks on a device like that.

jarosh said:
yeah, i'd stay far far away from that thing... conveniently all the zoomed in pics and most of the other screenshots show anti-aliased text, pre-rendered cutscenes, title screens, menu screens etc.: all of these look just as smooth without the device. that pic of link might even be intentionally misleading. it looks like it's from a cutscene of smash bros., twilight princess will NOT look like that. the in-game shots look just like the wii would look through component on any lcd. there's no reason to waste 75 bucks on a device like that.
indeed

JADS

Thanks to Nintendo Benelux dropping the ball on the Soul Silver release date, I bought Red Steel 2 today. The game, while looking nice, is unplayable in Dolphin. Whenever you turn/sidestep, a vital part of the game especially on hard mode, the post processing done in the game slow downs the emulator to a crawl :lol . It still looks pretty nice and I can get really close to Ubisoft bullshot territory (Except for the damn cursor looking terrible in 1080P).

Vizion28 said:

Upscaled from a resolution around 3-4x higher than the native resolution that the Wii outputs and often with some form of AA, yes. Games played on native Wii ahrdware will forever look shit, there is no fix.

cacildo

jarosh said:

Sure thing, the choice of comparsion screens in the VDIGI website really feels like a scam

However, it seems more manufacteres are getting into the "wii upscaler" business.

Google it and you will find at least 3 different websites promising new Wii Upscalers for the next few days.

Koren

brain_stew said:
Upscaled from a resolution around 3-4x higher than the native resolution that the Wii outputs
Not always 3-4x, there's games that are internally upscaled because they are sub-720p, including some popular games, and you're quite far from that value... You only have a 3x in pixels (1.5x in vertical resolution, 2x in horizontal resolution) for true 720p games. Sub-720p games are between 2x and 3x in pixels (1.2x - 1.4x the Wii vertical resolution).

For example :
Halo 3 is 1152x640 noAA (H resolution is 1.8x, V resolution is 1.3x, which is 2.4x as many pixels)
Call of Duty: MW2 is 1024x600 2xAA (H 1.6x, V 1.25x, total twice as many pixels)
Guitar Hero 5 is 1024x576 no AA (H 1.6x, V 1.2x, total 1.9x as many pixels)
Final Fantasy XIII on 360 is 1024x576 2xAA (H 1.6x, V 1.2x, total 1.9x as many pixels)

The leap is not as huge as many think, but still noticeable.

Fortunately, many games are now native 720p.

In fact, I think that many people find the Wii images glitchy in HD because they are upscaled from 480p to 1080p, and a details setting set too high. PS3/360 images for non native 720p games are upscaled twice (once by the console, once by the TV) or fully by the console. I'm pretty sure that the internal scaling is done with a details setting quite low, so that doesn't induce high-frequency defaults that catch the eye.

cacildo

No matter what, i still want to read a review on this thing....

From the marketing point of view, the Wii HD add on is the only choice for nintendo to upgrade its home console* without making its installed base feel like idiots

(*HOME! Not portable! Portables can get multiple upgraded SKUs without too much of a hassle. Home consoles gets more heat when it comes to upgrade)

So, even with every tech savvy gafer saying it is impossible for a Wii HD add on to achieve Dophin quality upscaling* wii games, i still want to see a review on this thing...

(*and i know people will say dolphin isnt upscaling anything. whatever, im not the tech savvy here)

Walshicus

Nabs said:
lol, you should try nsmbw. you can probably get close to 200fps. vsync should help there
I was going to ask specifically about this. I'm interested in playing it after having fun with the girlfriend's copy, but don't really want to have to buy anything but the game itself.

I've got a tri core Phenom, 2gb ram and 4850 1gb GPU. From what you've posted that seems like overkill? Will I need a wiimote and a bluetooth dongle?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
In fact, I think that many people find the Wii images glitchy in HD because they are upscaled from 480p to 1080p, and a details setting set too high. PS3/360 images for non native 720p games are upscaled twice (once by the console, once by the TV) or fully by the console. I'm pretty sure that the internal scaling is done with a details setting quite low, so that doesn't induce high-frequency defaults that catch the eye.
Another issue is that the Wii is outputting a 4:3 resolution and the TV must stretch it to fill a 16:9 screen which results in rectangular pixels. That plus the already low resolution results in pretty bad image quality.

bee

need more powah!

mario553m.jpg

that's the most demanding graphical bit i've come across so far, runs 1080p, 2.5 x ssaa, 16xaf @ 60fps for the most part

I'm thinking about getting a Wii Remote + Nunchuk for Dolphin. Any suggestions on whether I should get a 3rd party one or not? The Mad Catz Remote + Nunchuk bundle costs nearly half of what a normal Wiimote costs but I'm worried how well it will work compared to an original Wiimote.

By the way, I found out something weird. If I run Windows Media Player before I run Dolphin I get a significant FPS increase in some situations (like 50%). It sounds retarded but it works. I guess it might have to do with the way Windows Media Player handles multicore stuff.

Luigiv

Cow Mengde said:
Looks weird. Did you turn off the bloom crap? Is it even possible or just an emulator thing? This game looks ugly with or without it.
Yes he did, The bloom is glitchey so it pretty much has to be turned off. Here's some images I posted earlier if you want to see what bloom enabled looks like.

MH3 is one of those games that looks much better in motion as there's a ton of detail in the animations.

Schlomo

infinityBCRT said:
I'm thinking about getting a Wii Remote + Nunchuk for Dolphin. Any suggestions on whether I should get a 3rd party one or not? The Mad Catz Remote + Nunchuk bundle costs nearly half of what a normal Wiimote costs but I'm worried how well it will work compared to an original Wiimote.

By the way, I found out something weird. If I run Windows Media Player before I run Dolphin I get a significant FPS increase in some situations (like 50%). It sounds retarded but it works. I guess it might have to do with the way Windows Media Player handles multicore stuff.

I would definitely recommend 1st party hardware in this case. At least some of the 3rd party stuff has been reported to have issues with Dolphin.

The Media Player thing might be because your CPU or GPU stays in power save mode for some reason when you start Dolphin. Try monitoring your frequencies with a program like CPU-Z while you start Dolphin or Media Player.

Gah, I'm having this issue where my video card TDRs (nvidia kernel has recovered from a crash) when I'm playing New Super Mario Bros on my laptop (G51Jx, i7-720QM, 1GB nVidia 360m, 6GB DDR3 RAM). It doesn't happen on my desktop (i5, 384MB BFG 8800GTS OC2).

It doesn't matter if I just leave it in demo mode or play myself it seems to TDR anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute into playing. And if I turn off TDR detection in Windows 7 (64bit) it just ends up freezing instead. I monitored my CPU and GPU temps and the CPU was around 60 C and the GPU was around 69 C when it happened which I believe are safe temps.

I'm running OCCT right now and my CPUs are around 60 C and the GPU is hitting 80 C. I already did the GPU memtest and didn't get any errors and now I'm doing the GPU test and we'll see if it gets any errors.

If theres no errors the only thing I can think of is to uninstall my drivers and do a driver sweep. I'm thinking this might just be some weird error with the way Dolphin accesses my GPU because I don't get this in Crysis or Street Fighter 4.

edit: wow just found a post from a year ago of mine where I was having the same issue on my desktop and it was solved by installing a certain driver revision. Totally didn't remember that.

edit 2: driver sweeper may have done the trick--- i did have one "dolphin.exe has stopped working" while the demo was playing but no TDRs so far in about 8 minutes :)... so glad because I bought the wiimote already and didn't want to go and return it

edit 3: so issues aren't entirely fixed... rest of the discussion is here: http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?p=20637351#post20637351

NotWii

Banned
Vizion28 said:
DCEmu Reviews was informed by VDIGI that they have just released VD-W3 Wii HDMI Upscaler Processor. This is the world first dedicated Wii HDMI upscaler, it can support connection though HDMI or DVI, and enjoy resolution up to 1080p or monitor resolution 1680x1050.

* For DVI monitor users, you may need to order the optional Female DVI to Male HDMI converter, so that you can plug your monitor DVI end to the VD-W3 HDMI end for the video, and for audio, you may connect your PC speaker 3.5mm plug to the VD-W3 audio jack.
* For HDTV users (make sure you have HDMI input), what you need is a HDMI cable, you may purchase it together with VD-W3.

VD-W3 HDMI Upscaler Processor is available now for US$75.00.

Specs

* Input: Wii AV Connector x 1, USB Type A Plug x 1.
* Output: HDMI x1 , 3.5mm Stereo Audio Jack.
* Video In Supported: EDTV(480i/576i), SDTV(480p/576p)
* Video Out Supported : 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1650x1050 (at refresh rate 59.94Hz)
* Audio Out: HDMI audio, Analog audio.
* Bi-Color LED: Blue and Red.
* Operating Temperature: 5°C to 60°C (41°F to 140°F)
* Dimensions (approximate): 12cm (L) x 7cm (W) x 2.5cm (H)
* Mass (approximate): ~180g

Powerful Video Signal conversion

* Crystal shape image, Outstanding picture quality.
* Full HD (1080p) output.
* True 10-Bits high definition video scaler engine.
* AV grade scaler engine

User Friendly

* No external power required.
* Easy to setup.
* LED status indication.

Wide Range Video Display support

* Support TV (HDMI) and PC Monitor (DVI).
* HDMI-Audio and Analog audio out.
* Various HDTV video out.
* Native resolution for LCD monitor.

http://n4g.com/tech/News-496523.aspx
Cool, I have their VGA cable :D

Chris R

I just wish emulation was perfect :( Just tried my Zelda Collections disk and both OoT and Master Quest crash after the first menu screen :(

Still need to pickup a wireless sensor bar to really get into my Wii games.

I can extract saves via the sd card right?

Alex

Or eyesight. The Conduit looks like shit.

Nintendo's teams are wonky, Mario Galaxy has this fantastic texturing that scales so well but then Twilight Princess has some of the worst texturing I've seen since first gen PS2. (which is especially annoying after Wind Waker looked so good)

Luigiv

rhfb said:
I just wish emulation was perfect :( Just tried my Zelda Collections disk and both OoT and Master Quest crash after the first menu screen :(

Still need to pickup a wireless sensor bar to really get into my Wii games.

I can extract saves via the sd card right?
You were trying to emulate an emulator?

Top Bottom