• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Listen UP: 04/03/09 - GDC Wrap Up

I don't know who that Scottish sounding guy was in the last segment... the guy that kept loud capping everyone about Bad Boys 2, but he was the most unbearable obnoxious person I've ever heard on a podcast. I had to turn off Garnett's podcast for the first time ever. I couldn't stand it. Garnett, do not let that maniac within 50 feet of your show ever again.

And the Bonerz thing was not funny at all.

Bill_the_Butcher said:
I don't know who that Scottish sounding guy was in the last segment... the guy that kept loud capping everyone about Bad Boys 2, but he was the most unbearable obnoxious person I've ever heard on a podcast. I had to turn off Garnett's podcast for the first time ever. I couldn't stand it. Garnett, do not let that maniac within 50 feet of your show ever again.
I thought it was hilarious... he was getting so pissed off because he was trying to make a point but everyone else kept being immature. :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
to anyone who enjoyed the last segment, may i make some other listening recommendations? to start:

29y11rb.jpg

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
That last segement was the worst podcasting I've ever heard, ever. I kept on listening to see how long it was going on - but ended up just turning the damn thing off. It was fucking epic terrible, if it ever gets to that level again I'll never download ListenUP again.

Sorry guys, but I loved the second half Springer. Sure, it's nice to have logically sound arguments and a natural conversation, but mass hysteria every once and a while is pretty damn entertaining.

Cartman86

Banned
The last thing Robert said for me was the basic answer. Everything leading up to it was simply annoying. What he said hit home for me. His answer to why we play games was basically because we are born and we die. And to escape boredom in the meantime we play games, or watch movies, or clime a mountain or whatever. We don't want to be like our grandparents (or even parents) who get home, watch American Idol, and go to bed early. They twiddle their thumbs waiting for death. We will do the same, but when you play a game or have an emotional reaction to a film it allows you to forget that fact or makes you feel like you've done something important or otherwise.

My grandmother constantly talks about how retirement is boring. She has nothing to do, and the entire time I think "Why not play games or watch TV or surf the net or something". She doesn't watch any of these things and it's because she doesn't know how to. I think most of us don't want to be like that. We see people around us like this and we want to be distracted. We want to have fun at all times.

Fun is why we do these things. Fun is a part of escaping boredom. Fun is the apex of forgetting about death. Everything we do even if it sucks (play a shitty game, watch a shitty movie) is an attempt to achieve that level of fun. We don't think of it like that. If we did it would suck, and honestly it's no fun listening to it in a podcast. But occasionally it must be brought up.

LiK

mentalfloss said:
Sorry guys, but I loved the second half Springer. Sure, it's nice to have logically sound arguments and a natural conversation, but mass hysteria every once and a while is pretty damn entertaining.

i think Garnett did a good job keeping it under control after it went wild for 10 minutes. plus, they had Bobito, it's an automatic win :p

RobbieNick

nO! WaIT! I haVe ShomeTHing imPOrtant TO SHay!! ShaDDaapP AboUt BOnersh fEr a SeCond, thISH....thiSH iZ Ree-REEallY ImpoRTANT!!!

Ah LuV yUo guyz SHOOO mUsh.

SickBoy

After they switched to a new group, things got good again... but this thread shows the line the show has to walk. Some people love the wackiness and others would be happy if it never went there.

I'm amused by a good chunk of the humor in the show in general, but it's not why I listen. I think there are people who think that's the main draw....

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Cromulent_Word said:
kumar is one of the nicest, coolest and most talented dudes in game journalism. he also can drink.

if mother theresa came on the podcast and acted that way, there would still be good reason to tell her to shut the fuck up and plead with garnett and the rest of 1up to send her back to calcutta from whence she came, never to return.

pandaeskimo

Neo Member
LOVED it. Was yelled at multiple times to quit with the laughing. Robert & Tyler need to get together some CGW Radio 2.0 podcast together. I may just have to move to Texas to hear that accent.

chriskun

How could you people have not enjoyed that shit? This thread really shows the lack of humor people on here have.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
LCfiner said:
Kumar is gonna have a fun time back at work this week :lol
this is exactly what I thought when I was listening to it. :lol

xintin

beelzebozo said:
if mother theresa came on the podcast and acted that way, there would still be good reason to tell her to shut the fuck up and plead with garnett and the rest of 1up to send her back to calcutta from whence she came, never to return.
reason #1 being she's a goddam zombie

I just got almost all the way through this I'm guessing, before I turned it off.

Two things struck me:

1) They are at the GDC, and on both this episode, and the previous episode they were almost exclusively talking about... games journalism and games criticism? In other words, we got the doctors and then about 3+ more hours of self-indulgent shite.

2) That second segment... sometimes, you just have to hit the delete button. Publishing that shows an extreme lack of respect for their listeners and fans.

Yes, I know that this will be an unpopular opinion with the people who giggle at "bonerz", and the 1UPYOURS/ListenUP apologists, but I feel that these last few podcasts were a huge wasted opportunity, and more than a bit of an insult to long-time listeners.

i'm definately not liking the direction the last few podcasts have taken. Stop talking about games journalism or review scores, and for the love of god stop comparing games to movies already.

Ninja Scooter said:
i'm definately not liking the direction the last few podcasts have taken. Stop talking about games journalism or review scores, and for the love of god stop comparing games to movies already.

ngai was on?

i agree that since shane left it hasnt been the same. 1up yours was the epitome of gaming podcasts. now there's a handful that have surpassed it.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I listened to the first half with Victor Lucas, and the gang on it. That part was quite a good listen, especially with how GDC has changed, and the nature of reviews. I just skipped the second half given the other comments in this thread about it.

DevelopmentArrested said:
ngai was on?

i agree that since shane left it hasnt been the same. 1up yours was the epitome of gaming podcasts. now there's a handful that have surpassed it.

well for me its been the GDC stuff. They did 3 shows from GDC, with Jaffe talking about review scores, the Insomniac guys playing damage control for Resistence's review scores, and this episode with more review score talk and the clusterfuck of a 2nd half. Hopefully they get back on track. And maybe its just me, (or the last few episodes) but i hate it when they have special guests on. Keep it to 1up folk. Even designers like Jaffe really didn't have anything interesting to say IMO.

beelzebozo said:
Dude why do you have to be such a fucking nark? Why don't you just lighten up and not take everything so fucking seriously. It's a fucking videogame podcast it's not the worlds leaders discussing solutions to the financial crises. Your attitude toward this is just pathetic.

AkuMifune

Banned
I just kept imagining he was one of the Gargoyles from Fable 2, shouting at the table from far above. That made him more tolerable.

Mar

AkuMifune said:
I just kept imagining he was one of the Gargoyles from Fable 2, shouting at the table from far above.

Heh, I thought the same thing. Wouldn't surprise me if he actually did the voice for them. It was that close.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
Dude why do you have to be such a fucking nark? Why don't you just lighten up and not take everything so fucking seriously. It's a fucking videogame podcast it's not the worlds leaders discussing solutions to the financial crises. Your attitude toward this is just pathetic.

you've shown me the error of my ways and shamed me. i thank you. listening to it again, it was a wonderful show. probably the best thing i've ever listened to, really, and proposing that it could have been handled better and that someone acted like a fool was way out of line.

thank you. thank you thank you thank you thank you

ice cream

Banned
Listened to this last night in bed, was cracking up so much that it was hard not to wake the other people in my house!
Great episode, best one of listen up so far.

gantz85

Banned
I find it ridiculous that along the course of dialogue about gaming critics and bias, that Garnett and co come to agree that it's impossible to avoid being a fan leading up to a review of a game. To put it plainly: You can't not be biased.

But no review sites including 1UP openly lay out the act that they are not reviewing subjectively and they are always stating or implying their objectivity in reviews. When someone calls XXX out for a review because of bias may it be system preference or whatever, there has NEVER been an admission of possibility by any reviewer that it may well have been the case. They always put themselves on a perch and damn the dissenting voices as idiots and whatnot (Mielke is a good example, but he's not the only one -- not even at 1UP).

I think there are just a ton of issues in the gaming industry and not least with the critics. Come on, not even reviewers at 1UP use the review scale the same way -- different reviewers have different ideas about A, B, C and add to that the + and -s and you get a whole lot of fuck. How PRICE of a game factors into the equation is another problem, because unlike movies game cost a whole fucking lot more and reviewers don't pay for the games they are reviewing. They can claim they buy games they like, but that's like cherry picking out of a whole lot of shit.

There's also the issue of gifts and such: Publishers don't prepare PRESS KITS and REVIEW KITS for the press just because they had dollars to burn for fun (e.g. The Halo 3 $800 gift pack.) They do it because they either hope or they already know that a good presentation (that has nothing to do with what normal consumers will purchase) will affect the score of a game. If it pushes a game from high 80s to the low 90s in Metacritic that's a success in and of itself.

The funniest part is how in the podcast, they say that they're just like us, gamers, and they really love gaming. They ARE just like us, with system preferences, game preferences, subject to marketing hype and bias... and some of these may not even be rational or justified.

Either way it's too intellectual and too demanding a topic for the usual at the 1UP podcast to handle. Just let it go and go back to covering games.

beelzebozo said:
to anyone who enjoyed the last segment, may i make some other listening recommendations? to start:

29y11rb.jpg

pretty much

The two things I wonder are if that segment Garnett did cut was really so bad that this had to replace it; and if those who found it to be hilarious (and call out those who don't) really need a gaming podcast with a drunk person on it to derive their entertainment from.

beelzebozo said:

29y11rb.jpg

That's racist!

I think many people who are complaining about this EP have never listened to the old 1UP Yours show. Many of the older EPs were just as crazy and fun as this.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
PuppetMaster said:
I think many people who are complaining about this EP have never listened to the old 1UP Yours show. Many of the older EPs were just as crazy and fun as this.

no, they weren't.

Really I don't know how any of you can be defending that. It feels like when my cousins use to make me watch Joe Cartoons and rolled on the floor in laughter as I just sat there looking absolutely dumbfounded as to how they could possible be deriving any humor out of it. Everyones sense of humor is different, I guess, but I just feel if you thought that was funny you have to be listening to this show with rose filtered ear buds. Mathew Kumar was absolutely insufferable.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
gantz85 said:
But no review sites including 1UP openly lay out the act that they are not reviewing subjectively and they are always stating or implying their objectivity in reviews.

What are you talking about? We've consistently stated that we review games subjectively. In my opinion, there's no other way you can review games. That is, unless you're just going down a checklist of polygon count, frame rate, etc.

From our review crew page:

1up.com said:
We believe that games are the total sum of parts, so we tackle them subjectively, as experiences.

LiK

lybertyboy said:
What are you talking about? We've consistently stated that we review games subjectively. In my opinion, there's no other way you can review games. That is, unless you're just going down a checklist of polygon count, frame rate, etc.

From our review crew page:

dude, those bathroom fire tweets were hilarious :p

FartOfWar

Banned
Feeeeelings! Fffffffffffeeeeeeling! Trying to have a conversation with a shit-faced drunk is giving dap to a cactus. The segment was awkward and amusing. The "why we game" talk was hot like a "why we read" debate with a dude in one corner repping street signs, another on some Penthouse Forum shit, and a third thumping Milton. It reminded me of this fool I hung out with in high school who smoked a spliff and then wouldn't shut up about how infinite space "keeps going and going." He's sitting in the back seat and babbling when we say "Dude, act normal, there's a popo behind us." So he sits up ramrod straight, head locked, looking dead ahead.

LiK

FartOfWar said:
Feeeeelings! Fffffffffffeeeeeeling! Trying to have a conversation with a shit-faced drunk is giving dap to a cactus. The segment was awkward and amusing. The "why we game" talk was hot like a "why we read" debate with a dude in one corner repping street signs, another on some Penthouse Forum shit, and a third thumping Milton. It reminded me of this fool I hung out with in high school who smoked a spliff and then wouldn't shut up about how infinite space "keeps going and going." He's sitting in the back seat and babbling when we say "Dude, act normal, there's a popo behind us." So he sits up ramrod straight, head locked, looking dead ahead.

:lol :lol

WaltJay

RobbieNick said:
nO! WaIT! I haVe ShomeTHing imPOrtant TO SHay!! ShaDDaapP AboUt BOnersh fEr a SeCond, thISH....thiSH iZ Ree-REEallY ImpoRTANT!!!

Ah LuV yUo guyz SHOOO mUsh.

Pretty much...

I can tolerate the 1UP Drunkcast most of the time, but this one was a bit much. The first segment was good, though!

DevelopmentArrested said:
Yeah, I feel the same, I didn't think it would have such a huge impact but the show has really deteriorated. They hugely miss Shane's gaming knowledge (which added lot of funny insights that are lacking now). I hope they can get it back but they really need to focus I think on getting people who can talk about games and the industry with a wider perspective(i.e referencing older games, games from various genres, gaming history, etc., to make jokes and or more serious points).

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
mik said:
I don't know how I can ever get past: "we're trying to make grays out of whites and blacks, instead of just making grays."
Yeah, this was dumber than anything the drunk scotsman said.

Garnett really gets under my skin most times he tries to be 'deep'. I'd love to see a tally of all the misused fifty-cent words he's tried to mash into his points.

Top Bottom