• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 2 Info from Game Informer (no scans)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
edit: ah fuck it, was trying to post the pictures from the site, but they don't show up.

jett

D-Member
Slavik81 said:
The combat in the game was totally wrong. You could stand in a square and easily kill 30 guards. The only thing that happened when you were spotted was that a bunch of guards would come and waste your time.

That was because you could take 20 blows to the head. The combat mechanics themselves are fine. They just need to make you weaker. :p

Guled

jett said:
That was because you could take 20 blows to the head. The combat mechanics themselves are fine. They just need to make you weaker. :p
but I like feeling like I'm an unstoppable badass :( What I think they should do is make you weaker, but try to keep fights with no more then 2-3 guards. Make it so that you almost have to run if your faced with more then 3 enemies. But ya, I really liked the combat system in AC

Captain N

I really hope they don't let us down with Assassin's Creed PSP later this year. The information from 2 has gotten me pretty pumped. Connecting the two games would be a nice touch.

Captain N said:
I really hope they don't let us down with Assassin's Creed PSP later this year. The information from 2 has gotten me pretty pumped. Connecting the two games would be a nice touch.

It's probably best to keep expectations low for AC PSP. UBI's PSP output has been mediocre at best especially when dealing with their big franchises.

DuckRacer

Here's the alleged boxart:

2d7f1jc.jpg

I hope they are working on a new plataforming mechanics, that isn't "press one button and everything is automatic" shit of the first one.

At least that all other issues I hadwith the first one are being adressed.

After further review and deliberation, I've decided I like the new look.
The way they made the "cape" look in those renders looks odd which threw me off.

I also hate the 2nd popped collar. The red one is nice, but I hate the other one. Looks "too much". But whatever. This game will be awesome.

Your welcome for my opinion. Fuckers.

Chupakun

Doodis said:
You seriously have a problem with this? Like, the whole premise of tapping into your genetic code to relive your ancestors' memories is something you're okay with? But SHIT SON! Nobelmen didn't wear hoodies in the 1400s! That ain't keepin' it REAL!

Chuckle worthy.

Fair point. But a lot of the time, regardless of how incongruous it may seem, it's possible to suspend one's disbelief for the bigger picture. It's the little details that usually irk, and more so. Just human nature I guess. But yeah, I also have a few issues with the cowl—it really doesn't fit. It worked beautifully in the first game, but if they paid so much attention there, I think the team has the smarts to make this one compatible with the times.

The more I see it, the more I wish they went for a hat and mask approach. The shadow from the brim of the hat would hide the mask and since he'll most likely constantly be looking downward as in the first, no one will suspect anything. When he is spotted, the mask still conceals his identity.

And about the silhouette... such a plain, boring and round head on top of all these frills, angles, and flowing capes. Ugh.

Oh well, still look forward to it.

EDIT: Oh right.. they're still going for the whole eagle thing.........

MoonsaultSlayer said:
The more I see it, the more I wish they went for a hat and mask approach. The shadow from the brim of the hat would hide the mask and since he'll most likely constantly be looking downward as in the first, no one will suspect anything. When he is spotted, the mask still conceals his identity.

And about the silhouette... such a plain, boring and round head on top of all these frills, angles, and flowing capes. Ugh.

Oh well, still look forward to it.

Agreed. I guess ubi wants to make sure it appeals to the huge amount of people who bought the first one, so it's a difficult thing to change.

jett

D-Member
jump_button said:
No way in hell is he going to pass as a monk dress like that

I don't think he'll be disguising himself as a monk in AC2. :p Dear god this reminds me how fucking stupid social stealth turned out to be in AC1, after how Ubisoft hyped it up. Seems they're rectifying things in this one though, supposedly with costumes and masks. 15th century octocamo. :p

nelsonroyale said:
seen some of the game informer ish...very nice
Indeed. And to think that some people claimed it looked more or less the same. WOW.

Question about part 1: Is there a way to stealth kill with the hidden blade from a jump? If so, how do I pull it off? I always want to when I approach a Templar but end up just dropping down and getting him from behind. One of the scans from part 2 showed him jumping for a stealth kill and I could have sworn I saw similar shots for 1.

jett said:
I don't think he'll be disguising himself as a monk in AC2. :p Dear god this reminds me how fucking stupid social stealth turned out to be in AC1, after how Ubisoft hyped it up. Seems they're rectifying things in this one though, supposedly with costumes and masks. 15th century octocamo. :p

LOL so true - I thought it was ridiculous that suddenly praying in the center of 4 walking monks made you near invisible to pursuing guards. It was completely unrealistic. I think Ubi realized this and will actually try to make things matter this time around.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Indeed. And to think that some people claimed it looked more or less the same. WOW.

Question about part 1: Is there a way to stealth kill with the hidden blade from a jump? If so, how do I pull it off? I always want to when I approach a Templar but end up just dropping down and getting him from behind. One of the scans from part 2 showed him jumping for a stealth kill and I could have sworn I saw similar shots for 1.

Do you mean from, say, jumping off a roof to the ground? I know there's a certain range where you can jump and connect a stealth kill. You have to hold the "high profile" button and as you're jumping or running towards the guy just hit the attack button. Make sure the blade is equipped. I'm not sure if you can jump off a rooftop and nail a dude at street level though...

MoonsaultSlayer said:

It's there but it's hidden and the game won't help you do it. You're supposed to target the guy and hit the attack button right before you jump. I've never been able to pull it off.

MoonsaultSlayer said:

I think you can hold the attack button (X for 360, square for PS3?) and you should be able to do it. You can't be too far away though.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'll sum up some of the stuff from Game Informer:

- 1476, warring families, corrupted clergy, political intrigue, warring city-states.
- Assassination and executions are common in those days.
- Post plague era, modern science begins, etc., (basically, a resume of what the Renaissance era was like).
- Assassins and Templars continue their struggle.
- Venice and its waterways, Florence and its huge monuments.
- There is an illustration of San Gimignano's towers, and it speaks of the Tuscany country side. Another illustration shows some boats in Venice's canals.
- Saint Mark's Basilica. The Grand Canal, The Little Canal, Rialto Bridge, are shown (screenshots compared to real-life shots)
- Patrice Désilets says Altair was only in the middle of the "timeline", but now you live through the memories of a new ancestor to Desmond.
- Da Vinci is an ally to Ezio's family. He is like Q in James Bond. Machiavelli teaches you "tactics".
- "We know that he (Ezio) does end up alone and on a quest for vengeance". Learns to become an Assassin.
- Ezio can dive into the water in Venice, hide underwater as long as he can hold his breath, etc.
- You can pull guards in the water to assassinate them.
- Taller buildings. You can use a new leap maneuver to climb faster.
- More varied "hiding places"
- Ezio's infamy grows if makes too much commotion, making people more suspicious. If you become notorious, new missions appear (example: assassinate the witnesses, bribe people, get rid of wanted posters), so you can lower your notorious level if you want.
- Ezio can disarm enemies and use their weapons against them.
- Dozens of weapons with their own special moves (pike allows you to knock many enemies off their feet, dagger allows you to do an escape kill of some sort, etc.), can fight without weapons too and do things like throw dirt in an enemy's eyes because sometimes you don't have a weapon (except for the hidden blade and throwing knives), even heabutts! Désilets says that at the end you should become so good with the double hidde blades that you will use them over any weapons. A hammer is shown, a club too, and some blades and an axe.
- Game is made to address concerns people had with AC1, while staying true to its core. Biggest need was "more variety". AC2 no longer uses the AC1 gameplay loop structure (bureau, info, assassination).
- Ezio can use boats to move through the canals (in an example of mission variety, Ezio goes to see an informant but they are attacked and you must defend her as you make your way to a boat, then use it to get her to safety). Sometimes those different mission types are mixed together in one mission (example; mission starts as a simple delivery, but ends up as a chase, and finally a kill).
- A picture is shown of different enemy types. One is really big and fully armored. Each enemy type have their own attitudes and weaknesses. Enemies evolve as the game progresses (first encounter in the game will feel different than later ones). Agile dagger wielders can freerun like Ezio (following him more easily). The big dudes are more deadly in close combat. Spear wielders will look for you moreso, like in hiding places. You can kill enemies from the hiding places (picture shows Ezio grabbing a nearby soldier with his hand on his mouth, emerging from a bay hale chariot).
- Templars and Assassins are "underground, behind the events, pulling strings".
- Day and night cycle.
- Different kinds of objects to find but that actually give you something in return.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
You know what I want to see gone...
The complete remove of any area that wasn't a city. Outside of that, I really enjoyed the original.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
shintoki said:
You know what I want to see gone...
The complete remove of any area that wasn't a city. Outside of that, I really enjoyed the original.

Oh I didn't add that part cause it was unclear, but they say there are no more "kingdoms". The countryside is more linked directly to specific locations where the missions take place, no "long stretch of nothing to reach a city" kind of deal.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Damn, the pictures pretty much confirm that Anvil is (imho of course) the most impressive engine this generation. Proper lighting + huge areas + great texturing + content streaming + procedural animation, pretty much the whole package, especially if they manage to get it to run smoother. Amazing tech, and amazing art for that game.

Haunted

Don't like his design too much. But eh, it's no biggie. First game was awesome and Venice is a fantastic choice - I can't see how they'd fuck this up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Blimblim said:
Damn, the pictures pretty much confirm that Anvil is (imho of course) the most impressive engine this generation. Proper lighting + huge areas + great texturing + content streaming + procedural animation, pretty much the whole package, especially if they manage to get it to run smoother. Amazing tech, and amazing art for that game.
I thought it was called Scimitar or something

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Y2Kev said:
I thought it was called Scimitar or something
Somehow I've seen both Scimitar and Anvil as name for this engine. I think Scimitar was its name when it was only for AC, and when it was used for other games it became Anvil.

Blimblim said:

Funny thing is I think AC looked quite a bit more impressive than PoP, despite PoP having fantastic art and impressive scale... Personally I think there are a couple of games that are more impressive, but I agree its right up there with the very best, impressive on macro and micro

This really sounds like they will achieve the potential promised by the first...could be incredible

Blimblim

The Inside Track
nelsonroyale said:
Personally I think there are a couple of games that are more impressive, but I agree its right up there with the very best, impressive on macro and micro
Name me one single console game that achieve all that even AC1 achieved in terms of scope, lighting and texturing? Some games (namely KZ2, but also others) look better because they are on a very narrow path and very much in control of what they can show at any given time.
The only game I can think of that achieves pretty much all that AC did is GTA4.
burgerdog said:
I've just been told that the official name is now Anvil, the Scimitar name was only used until AC was released. Anyway, it doesn't matter the slightest ;)

jett

D-Member
- Game is made to address concerns people had with AC1, while staying true to its core. Biggest need was "more variety". AC2 no longer uses the AC1 gameplay loop structure (bureau, info, assassination).

Music to my fucking ears. Thanks for the summary TTP.

This is going to be an early 2010 title right? Uncharted 2 + Brtual Legend in the fall, AC2 + GOW3 in Feb/march 2k10. That is, if the PS3 port of AC2 is up to snuff. Ubisoft better fucking deliver this time. :p

I just saw all scanned images. This game is gonna be fucking awesome with all gameplay changes.

Blimblim said:
Name me one single console game that achieve all that even AC1 achieved in terms of scope, lighting and texturing? Some games (namely KZ2, but also others) look better because they are on a very narrow path and very much in control of what they can show at any given time.

Agreed. Also horse riding was really good in AC.

burgerdog

Blimblim said:

I've just been told that the official name is now Anvil, the Scimitar name was only used until AC was released. Anyway, it doesn't matter the slightest ;)

I'd have to agree with Blim! Sometimes I get an urge to play AC and it's mainly just to run around and admire its graphics.

Haunted

Blimblim said:

LyN engine, believe.

But yeah, both AC and especially PoP looked unbelievable at times.

Top Bottom