• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Archives (Wii) - U.S. date and price

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Capcom will be releasing Resident Evil: Archives for the Wii at the end of June. Pricing is to be at $29.99.

From the sound of it, this package seems to be the Wii editions of the remake of Resident Evil and Resident Evil: Zero that graced Japan at budget prices a couple of months back.

Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles won't be out until Winter 2009, so getting these 2 games at one price of $30 is not bad deal.

Deft Beck

So, people were too disinterested in RE0 on its own, so they added a good game alongside it.

Now, I would really be excited for RE-makes of the 2nd and 3rd games (and Code Veronica).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So, how was REmake ported to Wii? Can you use the CC? I'm interested in REmake but never got to play it :(

Firestorm

If it's $29.99 CAD as well I'll buy it. Still haven't played them =o Hope it doesn't look as bad as RE4 on LCD TVs =/

The Capcom Unity posting says that Resident Evil will be shown off at CAPTIVATE09 so I can believe this news.

Anony

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Yeah, in what way are these Wii games different than just popping in the Gamecube discs?

if i remember correctly, there is NO difference at all
there's no 16:9, no cc (just gc)

Well, there's no easy way to make these games 16:9 since the pre-drawn backgrounds and the navigable areas are all based on rigid 4:3 dimensions. They'd have to completely remake them.

Avoiding one disc swap per game certainly isn't worth upgrading for to me.

GameFly lists the game as "Resident Evil: Classic"...

If they actually did put both on one disc unlike in Japan where they were seperate, perhaps they actually did add 16:9 as well?

AniHawk

Hero of Legend said:
GameFly lists the game as "Resident Evil: Classic"...

If they actually did put both on one disc unlike in Japan where they were seperate, perhaps they actually did add 16:9 as well?

They're on one disc each now.

Haunted

On how many discs are these again, Ani?

I remember reading that Zero was just a straight re-release, they basically burned their last batch on Wii DVDs instead of Gamecube discs.
Well, not literally, but you know what I mean.

Did REmake have any Wiimote support? Or was it the other way around? We definitely need cvxfreak to clarify here.

Hero of Legend said:

There's no easy way to make these games 16:9 since the pre-drawn backgrounds and the navigable areas are all based on rigid 4:3 dimensions.

Haunted said:
I remember reading that Zero was just a straight re-release, they basically burned their last batch on Wii DVDs instead of Gamecube discs.

That doesn't make sense because then we'd have a Wii game that requires a Gamecube controller.

Haunted

beermonkey@tehbias said:
That doesn't make sense because then we'd have a Wii game that requires a Gamecube controller.
Read the spoiler. ;)

But I think one of them doesn't even support any Wiimote stuff.

edit: IGN claims that REmake uses motion control to handle reload when playing with Nunchuk and Wiimote. Nothing besides that, though.

AniHawk said:
Yeah, each. You should be able to find out with a little research, I think.

So I assume they're each game in their own box, one disc each, possibly shrinkwrapped or put in a box ala the PS2 Collections and made into a single release?

Were the original on GC in two discs for each game?

Haunted

Hero of Legend said:
So I assume they're each game in their own box, one disc each, possibly shrinkwrapped or put in a box ala the PS2 Collections and made into a single release?

Were the original on GC in two discs for each game?
Well, let's not jump to conclusions here.

Originals were both on two discs, yes.

GhostSeed

To clear up the controller support issue,

From what I've read both of the Japanese versions supported the nunchuk, Classic and GameCube controllers. The REmake has a Wiimote only control option and waggle reload where as 0 has neither of those.

Erudite

Both games for $30? I was under the impression they were going to be sold for $30 a piece from a thread a couple months back.

Definitely jumping on it if it stays at $30 for Canadians.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Well, there's no easy way to make these games 16:9 since the pre-drawn backgrounds and the navigable areas are all based on rigid 4:3 dimensions. They'd have to completely remake them.

Ah I see, thanks! :)

That explains why MHG Wii has 16:9 and these don't.

Damn, why do these get localized, but not MHG?

What a fucking minute, didn't Capcom say the exact samething about the Resi Wiimakes, that they wouldn't see the light of day here?

So there's actual hope for MHG after all?

Volcynika

Hero of Legend said:
Ah I see, thanks! :)

That explains why MHG Wii has 16:9 and these don't.

Damn, why do these get localized, but not MHG?

What a fucking minute, didn't Capcom say the exact samething about the Resi Wiimakes, that they wouldn't see the light of day here?

So there's actual hope for MHG after all?

They said they wouldn't come here due to lack of fan interest or something.

......surprise!

master15

Even though Zero was somewhat disappointing and it's a real shame Capcom have not done another more with this port, for those that didn't get to play remake first time around I can't recommend it highly enough.

One of my favourite games of last generation and still bloody gorgeous;

m140975626.jpg
m140975621.jpg
m140975610.jpg
m140975624.jpg

AniHawk

master15 said:
Even though Zero was somewhat disappointing and it's a real shame Capcom have not done another more with this port, for those that didn't get to play remake first time around I can't recommend it highly enough.

One of my favourite games of last generation and still bloody gorgeous;

What's particularly interesting about these screens is that Chris Redfield resembles a human being.

Tron 2.0

So it's thirty dollars for both in a single package?

For people that never played the originals (on any system) that's a pretty good deal.

Meesh

I really sucked at the original "tank control" method...but I'll probably buy this, just to own it.

master15 said:
Damn Chris, look at your scrawny arms! You really should think about working out a little. And hey, there's this guy I know that can hook you up with some stuff to make that workout really easy...

linkboy

Evilink said:
I really sucked at the original "tank control" method...but I'll probably buy this, just to own it.

Go with the Type-C controls. The move button was mapped to the R-Trigger and made the game much easier to play.

I was in the same boat. RE was one of those franchises I wanted to get into, but the controls frustrated me to much.

REmake was the first RE game I bought, using the Type-C controls and getting used to the feel of the game allowed me to get the hang of them and I was able to play Zero without any problem (no Type-C controls).

donny2112

Link said:
So it's both games together for $30? Well, that's less retarded, at least.

Careful there. Can't be too positive. I might have to slip back into sarcastic enmity mode to compensate.

KevinCow

Banned
It's strange how, on the one hand, Capcom is constantly proving itself to be one of the best publishers out there and has provided me with several of the few games that actually make this supremely disappointing gen worth its weight in shit (Mega Man 9, RE5, SF4), yet on the other hand, they're constantly reminding me of how lazy and crappy they can be at times (shitty RE lightgun shooters, shitty ports of last-gen RE games to Wii without even control upgrades).

KevinCow said:
It's strange how, on the one hand, Capcom is constantly proving itself to be one of the best publishers out there and has provided me with several of the few games that actually make this supremely disappointing gen worth its weight in shit (Mega Man 9, RE5, SF4), yet on the other hand, they're constantly reminding me of how lazy and crappy they can be at times (shitty RE lightgun shooters, shitty ports of last-gen RE games to Wii without even control upgrades).

The pre-RE4 games don't have behind-the-gun targeting, it's hard to imagine much benefit from changing the controls to use waggle.

Link

The Autumn Wind
donny2112 said:
Careful there. Can't be too positive. I might have to slip back into sarcastic enmity mode to compensate.
You should have seen me in the SH thread! It would have blown your mind!

Top Bottom