• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Demigod Mac
(04-26-2009, 12:22 AM)
It finally happened! Tekken Tag Tournament and Soul Calibur work in MAME with the latest release. They still have some minor graphical and sound glitches, but are fully playable.

http://www.mamedev.org/

The Dreamcast and PS2 versions put the arcade editions to shame, but they still have a certain nostalgic charm to them. They run on the Namco System 12 board, which is essentially an upgraded Playstation 1.

Did anyone play Soul Calibur in the arcades long before it came to Dreamcast? I was floored by it even then. ("Whoa! Their hair actually blows in the wind!?") Also, the framerate was significantly smoother than the choppy Soul Edge, making the overall look of the game quite amazing for the time.

[IMG]http://i44.************/6f4jfn.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.************/9ks3cx.jpg[/IMG]
Last edited by Demigod Mac; 04-26-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Xav
(04-26-2009, 01:27 AM)
I think there are some people out there that prefer the arcade version of Tekken Tag but pretty much everyone agrees that the Dreamcast versin of SoulCalibur destroys the arcade version.
StuBurns
Banned
(04-26-2009, 01:29 AM)
Soul Calibur looks like ass. I know I'm probably wrong, but I seem to remember Soul Blade looking better than that.
karasu
Likes his fat guys jiggly
(04-26-2009, 01:50 AM)
Who the hell is Arthur?
Angelus Errare
this looks like one of those Final Fantasy games lionhead always makes
(04-26-2009, 01:52 AM)
I don't remember either of these games looking that assrific.
Xav
(04-26-2009, 02:01 AM)

Originally Posted by karasu

Who the hell is Arthur?

He replaced Mitsurugi in countries that discouraged samurai imagery and references. He returns in SoulCalibur III as one of the bonus characters.
sprocket
Banned
(04-26-2009, 02:11 AM)

Originally Posted by Angelus Errare

I don't remember either of these games looking that assrific.

probably because you played them on interlaced crt monitors in the arcade
a Master Ninja
for whom the Bell trolls
(04-26-2009, 02:23 AM)

Originally Posted by Xav

He replaced Mitsurugi in countries that discouraged samurai imagery and references.

What countries are anti-samurai?
xemumanic
(04-26-2009, 02:43 AM)

Originally Posted by sprocket

probably because you played them on interlaced crt monitors in the arcade

Gotta go in the system menu for Tekken Tag and disable the interlace mode. It'll look much better then.

Soul Calibur was working a while ago, Tekken Tag started working I think this release.
Manmademan
(04-26-2009, 02:56 AM)

Originally Posted by a Master Ninja

What countries are anti-samurai?

Wiki says: In the Korean version of the game, Mitsurugi was replaced by a Caucasian swordsman named Arthur because the image of the samurai was not very popular with Koreans.

I've come across versions of soul calibur in US arcades that used Arthur instead of mitsurugi, but they weren't very common. Apparently there was a "World" release of the arcade game where he replaced Mitsurugi as well.
Demigod Mac
(04-26-2009, 03:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Manmademan

Wiki says: In the Korean version of the game, Mitsurugi was replaced by a Caucasian swordsman named Arthur because the image of the samurai was not very popular with Koreans.

I've come across versions of soul calibur in US arcades that used Arthur instead of mitsurugi, but they weren't very common. Apparently there was a "World" release of the arcade game where he replaced Mitsurugi as well.

the arcade machine I first played it on was one of those. I thought he was Mitsurugi wearing a disguise. :lol
twinturbo2
butthurt Heat fan
(04-26-2009, 03:25 AM)
That's cool, I suppose, but when are they going to get the Midway Zeus II games working? I have a hankering to play some Cruis'n Exotica for some reason.
Eiji
(04-26-2009, 05:42 PM)
Use PSXMAME for PSX CPU based games like Tekken Tag and Soul Calibur because it allows 3D filtering.

sixteen-bit
(04-26-2009, 05:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Demigod Mac

[IMG]http://i39.************/9ks3cx.jpg[/IMG]

I like how there is a roped fence signifying the edge of the ring but you'll never be able to reach it. :lol
Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku!
(04-26-2009, 06:12 PM)
When are they going to emulate NBA Showtime? Or have they?
twinturbo2
butthurt Heat fan
(04-26-2009, 06:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku!

When are they going to emulate NBA Showtime? Or have they?

Last I checked, it's not emulated, although some of the other 3DFX games are (San Francisco Rush is emulated).