• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Looking for a 2D top-down 4 player arena game. You started out with a class and each round was a deathmatch with one winner. After every round you select an ability in a skill tree that replaces your main skill. I remember playing it on the 360. Thoughts?

lazygecko

Trying to figure out the name of an old PC DOS title here. One of my friends had it but couldn't get it to run. I'm pretty sure the box art featured some demon-like character who looked a bit like Horny from Dungeon Keeper. And it was an isometric game as well. The game was on a bunch of floppies instead of a CD.

Can anybody help me out? PC game where you control red astronaut and Gide him through side scrolling levels. He has a jetpack also.

Any more clues about the game's age, it's gameplay etc? The only thing that I can think of right now is Waking Mars, but if I remember correctly, the suit is just about the only thing that isn't red.

jimboton

Trying to figure out the name of an old PC DOS title here. One of my friends had it but couldn't get it to run. I'm pretty sure the box art featured some demon-like character who looked a bit like Horny from Dungeon Keeper. And it was an isometric game as well. The game was on a bunch of floppies instead of a CD.

Litil Divil (sic)

O.DOGG

Trying to find an old arcade game. A side-scroller/platformer in which you played a kind of a muscle-bound viking/barbarian in a cave/dungeon. It played somewhat like Spelunky in that it had vertical gameplay not just horizontal. I remember the dude throwing daggers and spears with each strike and using a sort of an anchor-like weapon with a chain. I think it could've been an axe head/mace head tied to chain? You could buy upgrades and items from stores at various locations in the dungeon. I remember the sounds I just don't even know what the game was called.

EDIT: I found it a couple of minutes after posting here. The game is Black Tiger.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Can anybody help me out? PC game where you control red astronaut and Gide him through side scrolling levels. He has a jetpack also.

The Adventures of Captain Comic?

83144-the-adventures-of-captain-comic-nes-screenshot-look-ma-no-handss.png

A Commodore 64 game. Side scrolling beat em up type game. From what I remember, it takes place on a train and the main character is a cowboy. I think the aim is to rob cash from a safe or something.

didevol

Ok, I can't remember a couple games.

One was a nes game, was a top/ 3/4 view I think, you had to go around and collect bells, and the bells had something to do with putting out a flame? Something like that. Maybe an rpg?

The other was an arcade game, early 90's. I'd find it quite a bit in random places. Was a side scrolling warrior game. Actraiser reminds me of it. it had kind of a Conan vibe to it. He wielded a sword, maybe battle axe?

Thanks if you guys know!

One was a nes game, was a top/ 3/4 view I think, you had to go around and collect bells, and the bells had something to do with putting out a flame? Something like that. Maybe an rpg?

The other was an arcade game, early 90's. I'd find it quite a bit in random places. Was a side scrolling warrior game. Actraiser reminds me of it. it had kind of a Conan vibe to it. He wielded a sword, maybe battle axe?

Thanks if you guys know!

The second one can be a number of games, Rastan, Nastar, Cadash, The Astyanax, maybe Magic Sword.

DTJAAAAM

Thanks if you guys know!

#1 = Deadly Towers?

#2 = Rastan or Rastan Saga II?

PoopRiot

I don't know why this has been bothering me lately but it's a NES game where you are a ninja or something. It's both platforming and action. You learn different abilities and the only way to beat the last boss is to use the abilities in a certain order (I think). I rented it when I was a kid and played the hell out of it. Would love to buy it but I can't remember the name.

I don't know why this has been bothering me lately but it's a NES game where you are a ninja or something. It's both platforming and action. You learn different abilities and the only way to beat the last boss is to use the abilities in a certain order (I think). I rented it when I was a kid and played the hell out of it. Would love to buy it but I can't remember the name.

Wrath of the Black Manta

This is gonna suck as I haven't played the game but I'm trying to think an action, largely western fantasy title on PC. It had open battlefields like Musou and sorta played like it, I guess and had elements of strategy too.

Now the hard part, I am NOT talking about Bladestorm or Kessen. It had a different UI and wasn't focused on leading huge ass squads. Or at least it didn't seem like it. I can only remember watching a brief video and a thread about how the game was looking to getting released on Ps4.

I really can't think of it or know how to an effective search. I really don't want to say it was Bladestorm.

DTJAAAAM

This is gonna suck as I haven't played the game but I'm trying to think an action, largely western fantasy title on PC. It had open battlefields like Musou and sorta played like it, I guess and had elements of strategy too.

Now the hard part, I am NOT talking about Bladestorm or Kessen. It had a different UI and wasn't focused on leading huge ass squads. Or at least it didn't seem like it. I can only remember watching a brief video and a thread about how the game was looking to getting released on Ps4.

I really can't think of it or know how to an effective search. I really don't want to say it was Bladestorm.

Kingdom Under Fire 2?

mikeybass

Neo Member
Mega Drive/Genesis Game.

Box art looked like a Heavy Metal Album Cover.

Featured a sole dude, with big angel wings, and I think a sword.

It is not Golden Axe.

Any ideas?

CrazyAznKT

Neo Member
So I've been trying to find this PS2 martial arts (RPG?) game everywhere to no avail. I mostly remember sequences but not the gameplay very much.

-You fight using the right stick (It definitely wasn't Jet Li Rise to Honor)
-After the first chapter or so, you would lose all your money, so I would invest all my money in figurines to sell at shops later.
-You would have to do random jobs to pay for a motel(?) I remember working in docks
-There was a sequence where an old tai chi master (and barber) would try to teach you by holding a knife to your throat and you're not supposed to respond to it
-There was a sequence where you're supposed to catch leaves falling from a tree
- I think you get ambushed in a warehouse at some point too (kind of generic, haha)

I always thought it was a cool game when I was younger but people never seem to talk about anything like it, so I don't know. It seems to be inspired by Shenmue and Yakuza because those are the closest I seem to find.

eso76

-After the first chapter or so, you would lose all your money, so I would invest all my money in figurines to sell at shops later.
-You would have to do random jobs to pay for a motel(?) I remember working in docks
-There was a sequence where an old tai chi master (and barber) would try to teach you by holding a knife to your throat and you're not supposed to respond to it
-There was a sequence where you're supposed to catch leaves falling from a tree
- I think you get ambushed in a warehouse at some point too (kind of generic, haha)

You're telling me this is NOT Shenmue 1/2 ?

BGMNTS

There was an xbox orignal fighting game where one character was a big prisoner and had a ball n chain connected to his hand or something. Name included a number I think like 'Number 23' or something.

It had stages like Rise of the Imperfects, not 2D.

Never remember it for the life of me.

Lux R7

help guys.

Classic arcade shoot-em up with Dragon in name (just like house of dead, with pistol controllers).
Was medieval fantasy themed, in one of the bosses fight, u were flying around on the hand of a dragon.

Yama

Yo, help me out. That game where you would push crates on the Sega Genesis. Really early, first box art style. Also, this other fighter where a dragon could fart on one another. My childhood, help!

eso76

help guys.

Classic arcade shoot-em up with Dragon in name (just like house of dead, with pistol controllers).
Was medieval fantasy themed, in one of the bosses fight, u were flying around on the hand of a dragon.

almost.

Dragon gun.

Yo, help me out. That game where you would push crates on the Sega Genesis. Really early, first box art style. Also, this other fighter where a dragon could fart on one another. My childhood, help!

Crates pushing usually means Sokoban / shove it !

Dragons farting usually means Primal Rage

Li Kao

SOLVED -

Okay so a recent thread reminded me of one of the few games you fabulous people didn't help me name yet.

This is NOT the game I'm talking about but it reminded me of it :
mG5wPM.gif

So I would say a good 25 years ago, there was this game at an arcade. A shoot 'em up. There was two distinct gameplay phases I remember :
- One were you controlled your ship in a tube, like in the gif here (full tube, not incomplete). Evidently there were ennemy ships and you could move on this circular surface, making you feel dizzy.
- Another where your ship was on an horizontal plane, shooting ships that came toward you, well I think it was the case.

I remember this game quite clearly not because of a particular quality, but funnily because with rudimentary graphics and no background this was a little... scary ? I mean, the whole thing gave me a weird infinity vibe, like we are in this huge tube and on this huge plane but there is nothing forward.

SOLUTION - Tube panic - 1984
And I'm still a little uneasy.

Hey! I'm looking for 2 PC games. I think I've played them on Windows 3.1 (was 6 or 7 yo).

First one was some kind of first person RPG and point&click, I don't really remember the enemies/bosses but I think it was about dragons...

The second is a game with mecha, you can upgrade your mecha/part of your mecha. I have so little memory of this game expect the fact that I didn't understand shit and ir was pissing me off :/

jimmyd

Hey! I'm looking for 2 PC games. I think I've played them on Windows 3.1 (was 6 or 7 yo).

First one was some kind of first person RPG and point&click, I don't really remember the enemies/bosses but I think it was about dragons...

The second is a game with mecha, you can upgrade your mecha/part of your mecha. I have so little memory of this game expect the fact that I didn't understand shit and ir was pissing me off :/

The second one maybe one of the MechWarrior games?

Golicz

Banned
I had a demo on the PS1, which featured a blue car (I think) in San Francisco, in an action game. I just cannot remember the name.

There was a 90's PC game with mechs, early polygon stuff, and you had to find these yellow hexadome bases that you had to destroy. It might have been freeware or shareware, because I know I never bought it (or came included on PCs? I doubt I copied it from anybody). One of the mechs was called "Scorpion". It was also in first person. And I know for a fact it isn't any MechWarrior game.

Any ideas?

Golicz

Banned
There was a 90's PC game with mechs, early polygon stuff, and you had to find these yellow hexadome bases that you had to destroy. It might have been freeware or shareware, because I know I never bought it (or came included on PCs? I doubt I copied it from anybody). One of the mechs was called "Scorpion". It was also in first person. And I know for a fact it isn't any MechWarrior game.

Any ideas?

Ultrabots (also known as Xenobots), by any chance? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pggbDeaJMqE

Ultrabots (also known as Xenobots), by any chance? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pggbDeaJMqE

Holy crap. How did you know this? Thank you!

While I'm thinking of old games, there was a NES game I used to rent all the time as a kid because it featured very bright, colorful graphics, what I thought were huge sprites, and I think the main character was a bear. I almost want to say it was Wally Bear and the No Gang, but I don't remember any drug/gang stuff in it. Basically, a big, bright, bear game on the NES that would have been in rental stores around 90-91 or so. I almost want to say it was pre-1991 because I was going to a different video store then (because I remember renting Adventures in the Magic Kingdom a ton).

A long shot here, but maybe it'll pan out. Friend is trying to remember a game from the SNES/Genesis era. He says all he can remember is that it's either a fighting game or brawler (I'm not ruling out a wrestling game because I didn't play those back then) where there is a crowd cheering noise. This noise occurs only during either the completion of a combo or during a finishing move. He also says that the sound almost the crowd is saying "hoot yeah".

He's ruled out MK2, but says he thinks it's Weaponlord. I don't remember Weaponlord having crowd effects. I brought up the Mutant League games, but they don't fit the descriptions.

Anyone got an idea?

A long shot here, but maybe it'll pan out. Friend is trying to remember a game from the SNES/Genesis era. He says all he can remember is that it's either a fighting game or brawler (I'm not ruling out a wrestling game because I didn't play those back then) where there is a crowd cheering noise. This noise occurs only during either the completion of a combo or during a finishing move. He also says that the sound almost the crowd is saying "hoot yeah".

He's ruled out MK2, but says he thinks it's Weaponlord. I don't remember Weaponlord having crowd effects. I brought up the Mutant League games, but they don't fit the descriptions.

Anyone got an idea?

Pit Fighter used to have an active crowd (that you could interact with) and they (the fighters) do say 'Hoot yeah!' (kind of) when they do special moves.

Pit Fighter - Hoot Yeah!

Top Bottom