• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 2.76 Update

Goldrusher

Puck said:
PS2 BC
In game friend voice chat
Clock fix (finally)

Detailed in the other thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349564&page=7)
27zktfm.jpg

Loudninja

Transplanted because I think it bears noting:

Wollan said:
Usually they drop a weird number update before a significant one (who knows why, I would think all resources will be on the final one). 3.00 in June perhaps?
badcrumble said:
I'd be surprised if they jumped up from 2.76 to 3.00 - unless I'm recalling incorrectly, they've never jumped up more than a .10 increment, regardless of how little or how much has been added, and the X.00 updates are no more significant than the X.Y0 updates, based on how 2.00 went. If in-game XMB and trophies and the new PSN Store didn't bump things up to 3.00, I don't see what further changes could be made that would skip over 2.80/2.90 - the two obvious things on all the wishlists are cross-game voice chat and universal ps2 emulation at this point, but as big a deal as those would be, they don't necessarily merit a 3.00 designation. But perhaps I'm just not thinking outside of the box.

We ARE about due for a feature-heavy update, though; 2.40 was the big one as far as that is concerned, and 2.50 was a massive polish update in terms of making lots of little but important changes. 2.60 and 2.70 really just added the picture album and text chat. It's been a while since anything big (2.40 and 2.50 were July and October, respectively). If I had to guess, I'd say that SOME level of greater voice chat support is coming and that the text chat is part of the groundwork for that infrastructure, but who knows.

It's decently likely that a bigger update is coming not long after this. I checked the PS Store thread for the firmware update history, and found that in every case of a point update except for 1.93->1.94 (about a month and a half), 2.35->2.36 (a month and four days), and the longish wait between 2.53 and 2.60 (about 50 days), a point update has always been followed by another firmware update in less than a month. And as we all know, E3 is coming up. A good number of factors and past history point to a new firmware update during or shortly after E3 being quite likely.

mujun

so i sit down to play demons souls, got about an hour of peace and quiet before the wife gets home...

frigging gotta update. what is even worse is that a : it takes about 20 minutes or so which is ridiculous and b : they dont tell you that you need to update until youve booted the game up and tried to load your save up.

that need to fix this, seems totally busted to me.

VNZ

This is a minor update that improves the playback quality of some PS3 format software.
I've wondered what this actually means. Playback quality? Of games? I thought any critical runtime libraries and functions were included on the game disc itself. But maybe that isn't the case anymore, and stuff like networking, audio libraries etc are handled by the current version of the system software. Any other insights?

mujun said:
so i sit down to play demons souls, got about an hour of peace and quiet before the wife gets home...

frigging gotta update. what is even worse is that a : it takes about 20 minutes or so which is ridiculous and b : they dont tell you that you need to update until youve booted the game up and tried to load your save up.

DUDE, there is nothing that bothers me more than PS3 slow ass updates and installs. :lol For exactly the bolded reason. Some people may not understand, but I'm right there with you.

Oni Jazar

Is this a forced update or not?

Just because there's a new FW doesn't always mean you need to download it in order to play online.

mujun said:

It took me exactly 6 minutes and 13 seconds to update from start to finish.

So, check your connection, maybe?

Ploid 3.0

Yea I just started the download and now I'm installing. It's not too bad. After the 50% mark it goes super fast.

Owensboro

Is it sad that when I read "Clock fixed" I was actually a little sad? I wonder if they keep it messed up so people will just bitch about it and not look for more things. You know, it's like that old drafting saying "give them something easy to find and they won't look for more detailed mistakes."

Also, does anyone know yet what the update actually does?

LiK

VNZ said:
I've wondered what this actually means. Playback quality? Of games? I thought any critical runtime libraries and functions were included on the game disc itself. But maybe that isn't the case anymore, and stuff like networking, audio libraries etc are handled by the current version of the system software. Any other insights?

probably improving the performance of some game titles that probably didn't work well with the older firmware. that's what i think when they say "playback" since they use that term for PS2 games compatibility in their BC list.

the update is probably so minor that it's not worth listing the specifics.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Owensboro said:
Is it sad that when I read "Clock fixed" I was actually a little sad? I wonder if they keep it messed up so people will just bitch about it and not look for more things. You know, it's like that old drafting saying "give them something easy to find and they won't look for more detailed mistakes."

Also, does anyone know yet what the update actually does

According to Sony's official details...

"This is a minor update that improves the playback quality of some PS3 format software."

In other words, we have no idea....:lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Anyone having problems with the x-men origins: wolverine game with the new update?

edit: wiped disc game works now. WOOT

mujun

Danne-Danger said:
It took me exactly 6 minutes and 13 seconds to update from start to finish.

So, check your connection, maybe?

i was downloading at the same time.

so i have to stop all my downloads?

i have a fibre option connection.

i dont want to compare because that is just asking for a shit fight in the thread but lets just say in some cases i have to wait at most a minute to get this sort of stuff done.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Full Recovery said:
Puck
Banned
(Today, 05:24 AM)
Reply | Quote

http://i40.tinypic.com/300u1p5.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm old so I thought of the guy from the real world. He had that attitude too

Top Bottom