• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

cntrational
Leave him cookies and beer.
He’ll be back to your house first next year.
(01-23-2010, 04:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Dax01

Why?

To generally give PoliGAF some time to "prepare" (or something) before the SOTU.
RiskyChris
Banned
(01-23-2010, 05:03 PM)

Originally Posted by zou

Anyone agree that the number one poster in this thread should get banned for 3 months so he can get a life?

I think he's safer contained here.
Tamanon
Professional Bastard
(01-23-2010, 05:08 PM)
I think there are far worse places to rack up post-counts, at least the PoliGAF thread discusses something relevant to human society. Could be one of those with 7k posts in a freakin' Rock Band thread.
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(01-23-2010, 05:47 PM)

Politico reports that there will apparently be some talks this weekend that may save health care reform (and save the Democratic Party, and save the lives of uninsured Americans, and save countless families from bankruptcy).

Struggling to salvage health reform, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi have begun considering a list of changes to the Senate bill in hopes of making it acceptable to liberal House members, according to sources familiar with the situation.

The changes could be included in separate legislation that, if passed, would pave the way for House approval of the Senate bill -- a move that would preserve President Barack Obama's vision of a sweeping health reform plan. [...]

The changes are being worked on this weekend with plans for Pelosi to present them to her caucus next week, according to sources familiar with the situation. But, sources stressed, neither Reid nor Pelosi know if this strategy can win the support of their members, but they are attempting it because it is the quickest path to passage.

The changes being considered track closely with the agreements House and Senate leaders made in White House meetings last week, according to a source. They include the deal with labor unions to ease the tax on high-end insurance plans, additional Medicare cuts and taxes, the elimination of a special Medicaid funding deal for Nebraska and a move to help cover the gap in seniors' prescription drug coverage. Pelosi is also working to change the Senate provision that sets up state insurance exchanges. The House prefers a single, national exchange

They're trying....

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/arc..._01/022058.php
Diablos
(01-23-2010, 05:50 PM)
Figure something out and pass it. They've spent so much time, it would be dumb to just back off.

Any Democrat who is afraid of the political consequences of supporting a final bill is dumb. The fall is shaping up to be pretty insane regardless. It's not how long you keep your majority, but what you do with it. For example, we are still dealing with Bush-era decisions. See: The Supreme Court letting corporations damn near dictate the course of a political campaign.
Jason's Ultimatum
Americans out of Mexico! The Border Tax Equity Act
(01-23-2010, 05:50 PM)
Tam. Check your damn PM!
Manmademan
(01-23-2010, 05:59 PM)

Originally Posted by GhaleonEB

They're trying....

looks like it's actually happening. Did you also notice the article speculates that the medicaid exemption for Nebraska is being axed? I approve of this.
empty vessel
(01-23-2010, 06:00 PM)

They're trying....

Going through reconciliation means that what comes out of that will be a truer expression of what Democrats stand for, as they will only need 50 Senate votes instead of the 60 that constrained them before. If there is no public option, no drug negotiation, and/or no Medicare buy-in, it will be because the Democrats, as a party, oppose those measures. And, having opposed those measures, they will have failed to garner the support among the public that they will need during the next election.
Jason's Ultimatum
Americans out of Mexico! The Border Tax Equity Act
(01-23-2010, 06:01 PM)
Yup. Screw Nelson.
Manmademan
(01-23-2010, 06:02 PM)

Originally Posted by empty vessel

Going through reconciliation means that what comes out of that will be a truer expression of what Democrats stand for, as they will only need 50 Senate votes instead of the 60 that constrained them before. If there is no public option, no drug negotiation, and/or no Medicare buy-in, it will be because the Democrats, as a party, oppose those measures. And, having opposed those measures, they will have failed to garner the support among the public that they will need during the next election.

This. Who knew that losing mass. could actually have had a positive outcome? :lol
MissPerfect
Banned
(01-23-2010, 06:16 PM)
Hey guys!!
Check out a short video i made of me at:

Let me know what you think!!
Watch it now!!
Last edited by Amir0x; 01-23-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Diablos
(01-23-2010, 06:24 PM)

Originally Posted by MissPerfect

Hey guys!!
Check out a short video i made of me at:
xxxxxxxxx
Let me know what you think!!
Watch it now!!

Wow. Spam!
Manmademan
(01-23-2010, 06:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Diablos

Wow. Spam!

are you 100% sure it's spam? She might be legit
Diablos
(01-23-2010, 06:27 PM)
The website is a screencap of an unplayed youtube video :lol
Manmademan
(01-23-2010, 06:29 PM)

The website is a screencap of an unplayed youtube video :lol

It looks like you can click on that arrow, but I wouldn't. :lol :lol

did you notice the website was something like "personalinjurylawers.etc.etc.etc" :lol
Particle Physicist
between a quark and a baryon
(01-23-2010, 06:30 PM)
The video doesn't work!!!!!!! I want my money back.

>(
Ember128
(01-23-2010, 06:34 PM)
This didn't deserve it's own thread, and is somewhat old from when Glenn Beck was on Headline News, interviewing Ben Stein.

First thing Ben Stein says;

"Now can I have my cheeseburger?" :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YjrDg6jULc
Dax01
Founding member, Guardians Anonymous
(01-23-2010, 06:41 PM)

They're trying....

I'm assuming these changes will be included in the reconciliation bill?

And, yeah - fuck Nelson.
Gruco
Captain of Awesome
(01-23-2010, 06:50 PM)

Originally Posted by cntrational

Obama's 'Volcker Rule' shifts power away from Geithner

In particular...

Goolsbee said that Vice President Biden became a particular advocate for Volcker's approach.

If Bernstein's and Goolsbee's influence is rising with Volker's, and Geithner is getting pushed aside, that is phenomenal news for white house economic policy. Hopefully this reflects a genuine trend. Definitely something to watch at this point.

I fully support thread ending Monday. It's time.
Diablos
(01-23-2010, 06:50 PM)

Originally Posted by SimpleDesign

Rahm Emanuel, Geithner Calling Senators To Shore Support For Bernanke

For shame, Rahm. For shame.
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(01-23-2010, 06:56 PM)

Agree. At the very least there's no reason not to add back in the options that were on the table in the Senate but blocked by a small handful of Senators: Medicare Buy-in and the opt-out public option. They probably could (and should) beef both of those up, but there's unquestionably an opportunity here. I suspect Pelosi is leveraging the anger in the House to push the bill further than the previous negotiations (with a 60-vote threshold in the Senate) would have. She's be a fool not to, and she's no fool.

I'm concerned that so many of the regulatory gaps between the Senate and House bills can't go through reconciliation, but there will be opportunities down the road for those.
Dax01
(01-23-2010, 07:07 PM)

Agreed.
Gruco
Captain of Awesome
(01-23-2010, 07:31 PM)
Is it confirmed that the public option could go through reconciliation? I remember there being some debate on that.
Dax01
(01-23-2010, 07:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Gruco

Is it confirmed that the public option could go through reconciliation? I remember there being some debate on that.

There are 51 votes in the Senate for a public option... at least an opt-out one.
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(01-23-2010, 07:35 PM)

There are 51 votes in the Senate for a public option... at least an opt-out one.

The question is whether it would be eligible due to the Byrd Rule (only items with direct impact on the federal budget may go through the process). IIRC, the Dem leadership did some exploration on what could go though and concluded the public option could (CBO says the opt-out public option would save the federal government $25b over 10 years). Though ultimately it's largely up to Conrad, no strong supporter of one. But if Reid etc. lean on him, it could go through.
cartoon_soldier
(01-23-2010, 07:37 PM)
Davig Plouffe is Back!!

WH has hired him to oversee political strategy for 2010 elections.

About Fucking Time.

Mr. Obama has asked his former campaign manager, David Plouffe, to oversee House, Senate and governor’s races to stave off a hemorrhage of seats in the fall. The president ordered a review of the Democratic political operation — from the White House to party committees — after last week’s Republican victory in the Massachusetts Senate race, aides said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/24/us...wt&twt=nytimes

RustyNails
with arms wide open / under the sunlight / welcome to this place / i'll show you everythaaaang
(01-23-2010, 07:39 PM)

For shame, Rahm. For shame.

What an idiot. Doesn't he realize from MA loss that people are absolutely fed up with the way things are? Rahm is driving Obama's presidency to the ground. I'm so pissed at white house right now for supporting Bernanke. Yeah, he did an ok job AFTER the crash. But what was he doing when all the red flags were going off BEFORE the crash? Fire the guy. I hope he fails the nomination.
Dax01
(01-23-2010, 07:41 PM)

The question is whether it would be eligible due to the Byrd Rule (only items with direct impact on the federal budget may go through the process). IIRC, the Dem leadership did some exploration on what could go though and concluded the public option could (CBO says the opt-out public option would save the federal government $25b over 10 years). Though ultimately it's largely up to Conrad, no strong supporter of one. But if Reid etc. lean on him, it could go through.

What role does Conrad have in all of this? I've forgotten. Sorry.

Originally Posted by cartoon_soldier

Davig Plouffe is Back!!

WH has hired him to oversee political strategy for 2010 elections.

About Fucking Time.

That should really help the Dems this year. Plouffe ran a great campaign for Obama.
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(01-23-2010, 07:42 PM)

What role does Conrad have in all of this? I've forgotten. Sorry.

He's the chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, which oversees the budget reconciliation bill. If he doesn't like something, he can refuse to bring it to order.
PhoenixDark
(01-23-2010, 07:47 PM)

Can drug negotiations be done through reconciliation though?

Agreed on everything else. A medicare buy-in would be ideal. People understand it, and it could go into effect faster than a public option iirc. I'd love to see republicans campaign on repealing health care that increases medicare to a 50 or even 55 year old limit
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(01-23-2010, 07:50 PM)

Originally Posted by PhoenixDark

Absolutely. It's even more clear-cut than the public option.
Gruco
Captain of Awesome
(01-23-2010, 08:00 PM)
Can you imagine if Brown's victory actually leads to Medicare buy-in, drug negotiation and the opt-out :lol
PhoenixDark
(01-23-2010, 08:01 PM)
Wow. So they could implement drug negotiations, expand medicaid, and lower medicare limit to 55yo...if they wanted to. If that's not the type of bill one could campaign on with full confidence, totally changing the current negative narrative on the bill, I don't know what is.
Last edited by PhoenixDark; 01-23-2010 at 08:13 PM.
cartoon_soldier
(01-23-2010, 08:04 PM)

Can you imagine if Brown's victory actually leads to Medicare buy-in, drug negotiation and the opt-out :lol

In a different national climate, Brown would probably not be a big liablity for Democrats. He is to the left of Snowe.
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(01-23-2010, 08:06 PM)

Wow. So they could implement drug negotiations, expand medicaid, and lower medicare limit to 55yo...if they wanted to. If that's not the type of bill one could campaign on with full confidence, totally changing the current negative narrative on the bill, I know know what is.

We'll see. I'm not going to get too excited just yet, but this was always the possibility with passing the bill - it's easy to add stuff over time via reconciliation once the main structure is passed. It's just now (maybe) happening sooner.

Right now, I'm expecting the contours of the ideas to be close to what was initially agreed to. Beyond that, bonus.
thefro
(01-23-2010, 08:13 PM)

Originally Posted by cartoon_soldier

In a different national climate, Brown would probably not be a big liablity for Democrats. He is to the left of Snowe.

I wouldn't say he is, but if he wants any chance of getting reelected he'd better end up being to the left of Snowe.
Manmademan
(01-23-2010, 08:14 PM)

That's kind of what I was getting at earlier. The loss in the senate race could mean the dems stop screwing around and compromising a bill to get to 60 votes, and actually pass a strong bill. If this is spun right, they could be in a stronger position going into the 2010 elections than in Coakley had won.

Originally Posted by thefro

I wouldn't say he is, but if he wants any chance of getting reelected he'd better end up being to the left of Snowe.

Brown only won because Democrat apathy was at an all time high. a LOT of people stayed home. Against a competent opponent he may very well get crushed no matter what he does, and something tells me that what he's going to do is play obstructionist. I think there's a very good chance the 'pubs are going to prop him up as a VP candidate in 2012 instead.
Last edited by Manmademan; 01-23-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Y2Kev
The Last Guardian is Dead. Sorry.
(01-23-2010, 08:20 PM)
You guys have entirely too much faith in the Democrats.
Manmademan
(01-23-2010, 08:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Y2Kev

and why do you say that.
Dax01
(01-23-2010, 08:23 PM)

He's the chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, which oversees the budget reconciliation bill. If he doesn't like something, he can refuse to bring it to order.

Here's hoping we know definitively what's going to be happening by the end of next week.
PhoenixDark
(01-23-2010, 08:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Y2Kev

Honestly I don't expect much, except a bill passes. But I just find it interesting that they have all the cards now. It's just a question of whether they play them. If they went all out they'd make Brown's win an afterthought
Diablos
(01-23-2010, 08:25 PM)

And how did this jackass get the position in the first place? Argh, why wouldn't the party push for someone with a spine to advocate the President's policies?
ToxicAdam
Banned
(01-23-2010, 08:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Jason's Ultimatum

Ewwwww. TA and I are rubbing butts with each on that list!

Hot.
Diablos
(01-23-2010, 08:34 PM)
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMlPE1lV_5Y

We should all send this to the White House and Harry Reid.
RiskyChris
Banned
(01-23-2010, 08:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Manmademan

and why do you say that.

Because anything more than no faith is too much.
Suikoguy
I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
(01-23-2010, 08:35 PM)

Agreed on everything else. A medicare buy-in would be ideal. People understand it, and it could go into effect faster than a public option iirc. I'd love to see republicans campaign on repealing health care that increases medicare to a 50 or even 55 year old limit

This This This.

People overwhelming LIKE medicare.
GhaleonEB
knows his net worth
(01-23-2010, 08:37 PM)

And how did this jackass get the position in the first place? Argh, why wouldn't the party push for someone with a spine to advocate the President's policies?

Seniority system; the Senate Democratic caucus is more like a country club than a meritocracy.
Diablos
(01-23-2010, 08:41 PM)

Seniority system; the Senate Democratic caucus is more like a country club than a meritocracy.

Democrats, especially after they lose the House or Senate someday, need to fundamentally change the way their caucus operates.
IanZ
(01-23-2010, 08:43 PM)
What's the deal with Yahoo Buzz?

All the comments read like some of the worst Glenn Beck Teabagger BS

Shouldn't there be some kind of moderation? Jeez.