• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Freedom: Unite North American PSP demo up on PSN today

Teknoman

monster-demo_20.jpg

monster-demo_19.gif

monster-demo_12.jpg

monster-demo_13.jpg

monster-demo_14.jpg

monster-demo_15.jpg

monster-demo_16.jpg

The biggest Monster Hunter title to date with over 500 hours of gameplay

Huge variety of character customisations including 1400 weapons and over 2000 armor sets

Media Install option where players can save the game to a memory stick, allowing the game to load from the memory stick and UMD simultaneously for faster loading times

AI Felyne companion who will accompany players on quests and gather extra resources.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/

You've already heard about Monster Hunter coming to the west as Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. If you're new to the vast world of Monster Hunter, we've got some great new things to help you better understand what this game really has to offer.

First, the official demo is launching today, and loaded with brand new monsters. There's three quests to choose from: Hypnocatrice, Plum Hermitaur, and an Epic Hunting Quest with three monsters to slay. Aside from new monsters, there's also pre-made characters for each weapon type to choose from. Great Sword, Long Sword, Sword, Dual Blades, Hammer, Hunting Horn, Lance, Gun Lance, Light Bowgun, Heavy Bowgun, and Bow... They're all there. We've crammed as much into the demo as we could. You'll be hunting in the forest, the desert, and in the swamp.

Monster Hunter just wouldn't be the same without co-op, so the demo is fully capable of four player ad-hoc co-op! The demo isn't going to just leave you to fend for yourself if you aren't playing ad-hoc. If you play single player, you'll have your choice to bring one of three Felyne Fighters with you. There's Kota a Melee Fighter, and then there's Ginger a Bomber, and finally Melody a Support type. Look for the demo on the PSN later this afternoon.

Now that you have a chance to finally hop into MHFU, we have a brand new set of videos coming to teach you some basics about hunting. Check out the first video right here!

There will be 3 more tutorial videos to come soon. You'll be able to snag these videos online via the PSN so you can take the tips they offer with you on your PSP. In all, there's going to be nine videos total for you to grab on PSN before the game launches.

And finally, we have one more tool to help you start your hunt: The Encyclopedia Gigantica. It's focused on the community, and gathering all the knowledge from fans like you in a wiki style. Right now there's not much in it, and the tools to add information about the in depth details of Monster Hunter will be coming around the E3 timeframe. Once that's available, you'll find much information about the world of Monster Hunter, including everything from the basics all the way to pro tips from other hunters who've contributed their own experience.

And remember, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite hits shelves on June 23rd!

Good hunting!

So...ad-hoc party for the demo everyone? Get those headsets charged.

Need help?

http://www.encyclopedia-gigantica.com/?lang=en-us
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUUOp3XhmlY&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHbjfpKMXXE&feature=channel_page

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_Wiki
http://www.reign-of-the-rathalos.com/

Also for ad-hoc party participation aka online play:

*First follow the PSN topic's create a JP account tutorial, then download ad-hoc party beta*

Here is a brief translation to the front end title screen in order from top to bottom, there are only 4 selections and it’s easy to navigate through.

• Start: "Start" is the ad hoc Party portal allowing to select a server called "World" and a meeting area called "Lobby"

• Jump: "Jump" is made for selecting "Friend List" (フレンドリスト) or "Bookmark" (ブックマーク) which allows to directly join a connected PSN friend's Lobby, or to select a bookmarked Lobby.

• Ad hoc : "ad hoc" is used to connect the PlayStation 3 with an activated PlayStation Portable.

• Information page: The "Information page" is the PlayStation 3 built-in web browser restricted online user manual for adhoc Party.

To add to that, after searching around I found this *Taken from the official playstation forums and edited for general PSP gaming*

How to join a game:

Press circle to choose the first option on the Ad Hoc Party screen. You will be taken to and place that says 'World A' you can scroll through the worlds with the L1 and R1 buttons.

Find the World of your choice, now using the left or right analog stick find the lobby of your choice , then press circle to go into the lobby.

You will now see a close up of the lobby, press circle.

Now you may or may not see other people, you can talk to these people buy pressing start to bring up your keyboard. You can also press circle over their name, the first option makes you walk to them, the second option you can talk to them, the third option is 'add to friends list'.

You will also see houses. Each house represents someone hosting a game. Which game are playing? Well you don't really know until you go into the house. Some of the houses are named based on what game they are playing, but not always, so feel free to pop into any open house and ask what they are playing if you cannot tell. To enter a house, use the analog stick and set the target over the house, press circle, then chose the 2nd option. To exit a house press triangle, then chose the first option, then chose the option to the left.

Once you are in a house you can hook up a headset to your PS3 for voice chat.

Start up the PSP game of your choice and go into it's MP mode and search for a host. Make sure your WLAN switch is turned on.

How to host a game:

Use the analog stick to move the cursor find a clear spot in the lobby. Press Circle.

Chose the second option.

Three more options will appear. Press Circle on the First Box to name your house.

In the third box you can set a password.

You are now hosting a game. While hosting a game you can press Triangle to bring up host options:

The first box is to leave your house. Simply press Circle, then chose the option on the left.

The Second box is to set the description of your house, press circle on the second option and a key board will come up.

Third option is to open or close the door. An open door means anyone can come in, a closed door means no one can come in. It is a good idea to close the door if your party is full. The option on the left opens the door, the option on the right closes the door.

The fourth option is to kick the player from the room. It bans them and they cant get back in.

The latest version of ad-hoc allows you to make large houses that can hold a larger number of players. However, only 4 can play Monster Hunter Unite at a time. Of course, everyone can still communicate with each other inside the house.

Oh and you must have a wired net connection to use ad-hoc party.

20GB PS3's not supported

Once you have downloaded ad hoc party beta, you can use your normal PSN account.

bryehn

This would be a great, nay perfect time to release Ad-Hoc Party over here.

So it just won't happen I'm sure. I'd love to be wrong though.

B.K.

Did they change the camera in Unite? The horrible camera is one reason I can't get into Freedom 2.

Teknoman

B.K. said:
Did they change the camera in Unite? The horrible camera is one reason I can't get into Freedom 2.

Possibly? I just remember reading Unite/2G was built with the PSP in mind. Not sure what else that means though.

Teknoman

Dedication Through Light said:
I guess I better try the demo. Does Monster Hunter Freedom even have a storymode?

Sort of....but not really.

Also is it just me or does the game seem to run a little smoother with faster load times and smoother animations?

Oh yeah:

Swamp = Multi Monster battle. Slay 3 large monsters consecutively. Each monster drops mega potions.

Desert = Slay the Plum D. Hermitaur. Make sure to take cool drinks!

Great Forest = Slay the Hypnocatrice. Watch out, this guy can put you to sleep.

Teknoman

Make sure to mess around in the options menu too. Lots of sound and camera settings.

Select boost for sound when not using headphones.

ravien56

Defunkled said:
Is it just me, or did the giant baboon just fart then proceed to throw handfuls of shit at me?
yea i think thats a congala...god i cant wait for this game, im so close to end game, all i need left is akantor and fatalis>_<

Teknoman

ravien56 said:
yea i think thats a congala...god i cant wait for this game, im so close to end game, all i need left is akantor and fatalis>_<

What cool is I can just move my MHF2 stuff over. Not that far in the game, but still. That, and im sure I can get a decent amount selling it and putting the money towards Unite.

ad-hoc party is that thing that allow you to play any ad-hoc psp games online via ps3 right?

I've heard 20gb ps3 launch model is not supported. is that true?

Teknoman

Callibretto said:
ad-hoc party is that thing that allow you to play any ad-hoc psp games online via ps3 right?

As long as your PSP can connect wirelessly to your PS3 and you connect to the internet via ethernet, you're good. Other than that, im not really sure which PS3 models work with it.

Gattsu25

Banned
Callibretto said:

20GB launch PS3 has no wireless

Teknoman

Defunkled said:
Hey Teknoman, would you want to try and get an AdHoc Party game going? My Japanese Account is DebunkledJPN.

You dont have to use a JP account with Adhoc party, just to download the software itself. After that, just use your normal PSN.

yella

I asked in the PSP CFW thread, but is there any way I can use this on a CFW PSP? When I try to download it from the PC Store, it keeps telling me I have to update my firmware(have the highest CFW available).

Defunkled

Teknoman said:
You dont have to use a JP account with Adhoc party, just to download the software itself. After that, just use your normal PSN.

Oh, ok. My normal PSN ID is Debunkled. I'm still trying to get it set up. Do you think the demo will even work with AdHoc Party?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
yella said:
I asked in the PSP CFW thread, but is there any way I can use this on a CFW PSP? When I try to download it from the PC Store, it keeps telling me I have to update my firmware(have the highest CFW available).

Yeah you have to use this program called "NPD" - it'll convert the EBOOT to an ISO and that bypasses the check on the firmware version.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Teknoman said:
What cool is I can just move my MHF2 stuff over. Not that far in the game, but still. That, and im sure I can get a decent amount selling it and putting the money towards Unite.

Wait, you can import EVERYTHING from your Freedom 2 save? I played that game over 200 hours and it would make the game a lot easier if I can do that. Should I?

Teknoman

Jinfash said:
Wait, you can import EVERYTHING from your Freedom 2 save? I played that game over 200 hours and it would make the game a lot easier if I can do that. Should I?

Everything but hunter rank.

Room is in J50 lobby, named MHF: Unite GAF
pass is believe.

Gathering Room 01

For those playing the demo, does it do a good job of showing a MHF2 player why he should upgrade to Unite? I'll download it if it does.

Thats the situation I'm in right now. I am still playing Freedom 2 and Unite sounds like a weak upgrade.

Teknoman said:
Hypnocatrice is taking forever SP with giant bow :lol

Yeah, took me awhile!

As a guy always interested in the games, I had tried some in the past and was sort of bored...but putting me RIGHT into the action was really fun!

This demo sold ONE guy on the game, mission accomplished, Capcom!

ravien56

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
For those playing the demo, does it do a good job of showing a MHF2 player why he should upgrade to Unite? I'll download it if it does.

Thats the situation I'm in right now. I am still playing Freedom 2 and Unite sounds like a weak upgrade.
ehh kinda i guess, theres a new mob in the demo, the hypocatrice and theres a hermitaur and this green congala, but pretty much, the old mobs have upgraded attacks and evasions, and theres new levels and the cat...theres gonna be more weapon upgrades but other than that, not sure.

Teknoman

ravien56 said:
ehh kinda i guess, theres a new mob in the demo, the hypocatrice and theres a hermitaur and this green congala, but pretty much, the old mobs have upgraded attacks and evasions, and theres new levels and the cat...theres gonna be more weapon upgrades but other than that, not sure.

I think there is a totally new area too among other things (install to memory stick, sound options, other stuff).

Someone join our Ad hoc party room >_<

ravien56

Teknoman said:
I think there is a totally new area too among other things (install to memory stick, sound options, other stuff).

Someone join our Ad hoc party room >_<
my ps3 is currently unavailable, ugh i just tried fighting a g rank rathian it kept flying everywhere, i just ran out of time, fucking god. but yea i dont think theres a new starting area, i saw the trailers its still the same shit, but yea sound options and install to memory stick are available and i think theres 3 options of transferring your data also/.

Does anyone have any good links for beginners to read to get started? I downed the first boss but I definitely am not understanding how I am supposed to be playing the game.

ravien56

darkressurection said:
Does anyone have any good links for beginners to read to get started? I downed the first boss but I definitely am not understanding how I am supposed to be playing the game.
demos bad to show you this...usually when u down a boss, you can carve it and get materials, then your kicked back to the town where you can take the materials plus money to make weapons so u can take down other monsters better...i dont got any links really, but u can pick up mf2 for like 15-20 and transfer the file when mhu comes out if your interested.

Cool, I've been meaning to give the series a shot for a good long while now but I could never find either of the previous PSP Monsters Hunters at that perfect impulse buy price.

Teknoman

What the? My room just got kicked from ad hoc party? Strange... we had a full 4 person party too, just beat up the first of the 3 in the swamp.

Top Bottom