• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giolon

Morn said:
You're ignoring the multiple times BioWare has said that they are firm for a 2011 release since E3.

If they say 2011, it's 100% for sure a guarantee it will come out. Companies never lie or are overly optimistic about release date for a game that's already been delayed. It never happens.

LowParry

Morn said:
You're ignoring the multiple times BioWare has said that they are firm for a 2011 release since E3.

To be fair, they did say it was dependent if all the beta testing was successful.

Morn

Banned
CcrooK said:
To be fair, they did say it was dependent if all the beta testing was successful.

That's not what Daniel Erickson has been saying in nearly every interview. On G4 during E3 he said they were firm, multiple times, without saying it was dependent on the beta. In another interview he said 2011 is their release year.

Giolon

Morn said:
That's not what Daniel Erickson has been saying in nearly every interview. On G4 during E3 he said they were firm, multiple times, without saying it was dependent on the beta. In another interview he said 2011 is their release year.

Until something forces them to push it back to 2012. I have no doubt that they intend to release this thing in 2011. Shit happens though.

gatti-man

HotHamWater said:
I would not use WoW next gen to describe SWTOR. There- but if it launches in state not far from how it is now, people will complain about content).
When someone says looks just like wow I take it literally. It looks far better than wow to me. Gameplay and features I really can't say since im not in the beta.

gatti-man

Darklord said:
I'm saying January-March 2012. It'll definitely be after the end of SWG but not too long after.
That may be what they should do but I would bet against it. The game needs to be out pre holiday and alsothat would move it to another financial quarter. This is big money for EA.

markatisu

With as big a deal as they are making out of the SDCC presence next week I would bet heavily it comes out this year. Outside E3, SDCC is the grandest stage you can have for the mass public which is who they need to bring in after the WoW and MMO usual suspects.

Sigfodr

Giolon said:
If they say 2011, it's 100% for sure a guarantee it will come out. Companies never lie or are overly optimistic about release date for a game that's already been delayed. It never happens.
While you are completely right about that, Bioware's track record for the past five years speaks for itself. They have consistently announced major titles, had a temporary date announced, then push it back one or two quarters, but then stick to the secondary date. This fits with the original "hopefully spring, but definitely this year" followed by the "this year, but not in the spring". It makes sense that they are keeping the release quiet, but I'm guessing no matter what, Blizzard will find some way to try and steal some attention. A PAX announcement makes the most sense, given the love for PAX and it would still give up to two months until release.

Yaska

That sentinel frosting is fascinating. I also like that moving frosting.

Also how big servers you think the game should have. 5k? 50k? Personally I'm more into big servers as that ensues that there won't be need for server mergers IF the population disappears.

Hixx

The french video was excellent.

Shame the Bounty Hunter vid is impossible to watch. Coruscant screens are great as well.

Darklord

Banned
Morn said:

Why haven't they even announced what month it'll be out then? When will the massive marketing push start? Like a month before? So lets say the date is announced at PAX. The end of august. When will it come out? It won't be September, so lets say November/December. That's hell going right up against MW3, Skyrim, and the other big games already released. Unless they simply want it out for the holidays and don't care about other gamers. Which could be the right move for an MMO. Maybe the end of SWG will be right before TOR.

It's not like they can't launch it until SWG has been shut down. SWG is barely alive right now and will die for sure once SWTOR launches. That is why they shut it down. It is not like anyone is afraid of SWG keeping players away from SWTOR.

I would not be surprised at all if SWTOR launches well before December the 15th and that fixed date is just the earliest one at which either SOE or Lucas Arts is able to get out of the contract.

Darklord

Banned
Dinosaur Tamer said:
It's not like they can't launch it until SWG has been shut down. SWG is barely alive right now and will die for sure once SWTOR launches. That is why they shut it down. It is not like anyone is afraid of SWG keeping players away from SWTOR.

I would not be surprised at all if SWTOR launches well before December the 15th and that fixed date is just the earliest one at which either SOE or Lucas Arts is able to get out of the contract.

They want everyone from SWG to go to TOR. They would have had to pick mid December for a reason an d I don't think it's just because of contracts. They aren't going to release a new MMO then have people focus on the other as it shuts down.

Sigfodr

Darklord said:
They want everyone from SWG to go to TOR. They would have had to pick mid December for a reason an d I don't think it's just because of contracts. They aren't going to release a new MMO then have people focus on the other as it shuts down.
What you're saying makes no sense. I wouldn't wait til my car has completely run out of gas before I fill up the tank. If they shut down SWG and wait til later to release TOR, that's a period where people are without a game, and potential customers might just find a different game or drop of MMOs altogether. But, if you release TOR first, build up a base, run through your first patches and updates so it's not quite as buggy, then it's all set to welcome in the SWG players. Both of them.

Which brings me to my next point. The official servers of SWG are so negligible, I doubt gaining those players is a huge concern for EA, so why completely base your release date on when SOE is shutting it down? In any case, everyone I know that plays SWG is on a private server (so they can play without the combat upgrade), so SOE's decision doesn't even affect that group.

TOR is getting plenty of attention before it even has a release date, while the announcement of SWG shutting down has barely registered with the gaming community. Bioware and EA have no need to worry about people focusing on that bit of news. People didn't start ignoring my newborn son just because my cat died.

Well, I imagine not everyone who plays SWG right now will play until the very last day. In fact, just the existence of a shut down date will probably make it easier for long term players to abandon the game. This is a MMORPG after all and most players play those over an extended period of time.

Think about it. If they released SWTOR at the end of November, how many would truly stay with SWG for the last two weeks? And once they shut it down, why should they not join the game that launched two weeks ago?

No offense, but I really don't see why having SWTOR ready to play when the servers shut down could do any harm at all.

Morn

Banned
Darklord said:
Why haven't they even announced what month it'll be out then? When will the massive marketing push start? Like a month before? So lets say the date is announced at PAX. The end of august. When will it come out? It won't be September, so lets say November/December. That's hell going right up against MW3, Skyrim, and the other big games already released. Unless they simply want it out for the holidays and don't care about other gamers. Which could be the right move for an MMO. Maybe the end of SWG will be right before TOR.

Because EA has said that they don't want to announce the release date to give Blizzard time to counter it.

It's October 4th.

Yaska

Morn said:
Because EA has said that they don't want to announce the release date to give Blizzard time to counter it.

It's October 4th.
whatever it is, better be this year. Dark side is calling me, but I have to remain strong and stay on light side. Speaking of light side; who was the dumb idiot who invented that jedis have to stick with celibacy. That's asking for "come to dark side, we have girls!"

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Yaska said:
whatever it is, better be this year. Dark side is calling me, but I have to remain strong and stay on light side. Speaking of light side; who was the dumb idiot who invented that jedis have to stick with celibacy. That's asking for "come to dark side, we have girls!"

See ya on the Dark Side.

*evil laugh*

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Dinosaur Tamer said:
Well, I imagine not everyone who plays SWG right now will play until the very last day. In fact, just the existence of a shut down date will probably make it easier for long term players to abandon the game. This is a MMORPG after all and most players play those over an extended period of time.

Think about it. If they released SWTOR at the end of November, how many would truly stay with SWG for the last two weeks? And once they shut it down, why should they not join the game that launched two weeks ago?

No offense, but I really don't see why having SWTOR ready to play when the servers shut down could do any harm at all.

I find it funny anyone thinks SWG is on anyones mind for release, it's less than 5 thousand people at this point.

Yaska said:
Jedis aren't celibate.

LowParry

I was originally thinking Sith Warrior tank but now I'm steering over to Bounter Hunter tank. Seriously, with the small time I've played, I'm ready. Really curious how the new build will turn out.

Rflagg

Yaska said:
I am sure it will be fairly easy to have get the dark side points form romance and still remain light side, in fact I guessing that one could still easily max out light side even after having the romance.

Yaska

LAUGHTREY said:
Jedis aren't celibate.
The order during the bad trilogy is in near celibacy state, thus
Anakin married Padme secretly
because blah blah love makes unstable. During the KOTOR era iirc the restraints concerning love and relationshis were removed due the order facing termination.

Sigfodr

I can't bring myself to watch the Sith Warrior intro video. The "a long time ago" text pops up and I get chills, knowing the music is about to start. Twice now I've started the video, only to pause it just before the music. That is one experience that will have to wait till the game.

Yaska said:
The order during the bad trilogy is in near celibacy state, thus
Anakin married Padme secretly
because blah blah love makes unstable. During the KOTOR era iirc the restraints concerning love and relationshis were removed due the order facing termination.
Also, after the Battle of Endor,
as Luke created the New Jedi Order, he lifted the ban on relationships, believing it made one stronger to have personal connections. Also, so he could bang Mara Jade. Worth it!

bill0527

I'll take a 75% complete SWTOR this year, over 100% of the shit WoW has been serving up. So fucking bored with that game. I'm dying for a new universe to play in.

Jarmel

Banned
Sigfodr said:
as Luke created the New Jedi Order, he lifted the ban on relationships, believing it made one stronger to have personal connections. Also, so he could bang Mara Jade. Worth it!

I never actually thought about that. I knew the Mara Jade bit but I never really thought about the implications of that. His reasoning is very sound though and very Luke-like.

Sigfodr said:

I've never read any of the expanded universe stuff but smart man!

Sigfodr

Jarmel said:
I never actually thought about that. I knew the Mara Jade bit but I never really thought about the implications of that. His reasoning is very sound though and very Luke-like.
Especially considering how he might have reflected on his father's situation and those consequences.

Emitan

I've stopped looking at location screenshots, I want to see them with my own eyes (on high/max settings). Smuggler info on the other hand...GIMME GIMME GIMME

Jarmel

Banned
Sigfodr said:
Especially considering how he might have reflected on his father's situation and those consequences.

Yea like how he wanted his father to feel love while the the traditional Jedi didn't want a person to feel anything.

Sigfodr

Jarmel said:
Yea like how he wanted his father to feel love while the the traditional Jedi didn't want a person to feel anything.
I wasn't thinking so much in that direction, but it's a valid point. I meant more along how the restrictions on relationships had caused
Anakin to fall to the dark side.

Marco1

I wish they would release details of the impending collectors edition.
Also wouldn't the details of the CE be 2-3 months before release?

Sigfodr

Marco1 said:
I wish they would release details of the impending collectors edition.
Also wouldn't the details of the CE be 2-3 months before release?
SDCC would be the perfect time to announce CE for limited pre-order. Ideally similar to the first WoW CE. You know, later the early adopters (us) feel *awesome*.

Chriswok said:
Are they even doing an EU server test? :\
From my understanding, a small one for now. Might be a beta relaunch near the end if the month with many more invites.

Jarmel said:
I will laugh if they try to launch in November.
They really can't launch too early, since MMOs are long term investments. Sure they miss out on a few fall customers, but they can always get on later. An "early" launch only builds a bigger player base to draw in more customers. Losing out to the strict MMO players would be a bigger loss, I would think.

Jarmel said:
I will laugh if they try to launch in November.

It's an MMORPG. Bioware/EA consider it AAA and expect it to become the strongest alternative to World of Warcraft. Why should they care about launch dates (expect for other MMORPGs) when even average MMORPGs completely ignored them in the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom