• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigfodr

bill0527 said:
Battlefront 2
Please, no one mention Battlefront, I just can't take it.

4ESBI.jpg

erragal

Blackface said:
That said, I don't see SWTOR coming out before November. At least at the current rate. it's fairly clear from the cake site(so no surprises) that 0 end-game has been tested. To put it in perspective, Blizzard has their internal QA team test all raids prior to them going up on the PTR for a couple months. Then they are on PTR for almost two months.

SWTOR doesn't just need to test operations, they need to test EVERYTHING end-game. From the CM post earlier in this thread, the beta goes down on the 20th and in the "coming weeks" will go up with a new build.

So lets say It comes up August 7th. Which I think it s generous date. Two months of testing means you are already into October. It would take most people in beta that long to get enough level 50's just to test end-game content. Then you have to actually test all the end-game features Bioware has put into the new beta built.

So lets give Bioware the benefit of the doubt, and say they are going to give everyone 1 level 50 toon. Still allow them to level others, but give them a max level toon to test the high-end content. So that gives the beta community two months or two and a half months to hammer out every little bug end-game SWTOR has to offer. This is a task, remember, that takes the most dedicated hard-core players in WoW, two months to do for a single raid. Let alone multiple systems, operations and features.

It then takes another month for the game to go gold and the advertising campaign to kick off.

There is no possible way this game comes out bug free before November.

Not going to comment on the idea that D3 is being delayed to attack TOR; I'm more likely to believe they're delaying it till WoW hit a certain subscriber depreciation threshold than that.

Interesting notes about SWTOR. Is there any confirmation that none of the endgame has been tested internally? I haven't been following TOR very closely so I'm not up on the latest information. If they've really just started hammering out end-game systems/content they're really pushing it if they release in 2011 at all; really wish these MMO developers would learn that your endgame design should be one of the first things you start working on. It's the hardest content to make, it's the content your continuing development designers will be working on the most when the game is out, and it's the only thing that actually helps you retain players.

I am in no way, shape, or form implying that this is their intention, but what if they're hoping that the varied class stories are the things that will keep players playing? Every class has a completely different journey, right?

Jbird34

Well they have already shown 1 raid at E3, The Eternity Vault, and an interview with James Olhen stating they have Space Content also for the end game along with other stuff in store. I am thinking they have tested it internally and are going to push it out with the next beta build.

Giolon

Everyone seems to think that EA/Bioware is going to announce a release date at Comic-Con this week - yet they still have released next to 0 public information on the Jedi Consular.

What gives?

Door2Dawn

Banned
Giolon said:
Everyone seems to think that EA/Bioware is going to announce a release date at Comic-Con this week - yet they still have released next to 0 public information on the Jedi Consular.

What gives?
Website updates has no effect on release date announcements.

Giolon said:

What gives?

Obviously Jedi Consular is just a smoke screen for the Sarlacc Enforcer.

Derwind

Jedi Consular is obviously BioWare's favourite class, it's there golden goose, when you think of SW's you always think of it's mascot Yoda & Old ObiWan....they can't fuck up such an iconic comparison.... They have to leave the best for last... DUH!

LowParry

Giolon said:

What gives?

Hasn't it been stated that class reveals will even show up after release? But yeah, lot of talk going around about release date info come Thursday. I'd at least expect some pre-order info but nothing more. Guess we'll find out.

Jbird34

From A German Moderator :

"Naja soviel darf schon mal gesagt sein: Es wird tatsächlich unter anderem etwas sehr interessantes sein, was nichts mit den eigentlichen Spiel-Features zu tun hat.

Wäre das hier das Spiel "Topfschlagen", hätten wir schon das eine oder andere mal "heiß" sagen müssen

Wer aber hier etwas über das Release-Datum spekuliert hat, bei dem wäre es "gaaaaanz kalt".

Translation:
well, I can say so much: there IS going to be something VERY important, that has nothing to do with the games features itself.
Would this be a guessing game, I would have to have said "hot" a few times, but those speculating about release date would be "veeeeery cold

Sigfodr

Jbird34 said:
From A German Moderator :

"Naja soviel darf schon mal gesagt sein: Es wird tatsächlich unter anderem etwas sehr interessantes sein, was nichts mit den eigentlichen Spiel-Features zu tun hat.

Wäre das hier das Spiel "Topfschlagen", hätten wir schon das eine oder andere mal "heiß" sagen müssen

Wer aber hier etwas über das Release-Datum spekuliert hat, bei dem wäre es "gaaaaanz kalt".

Translation:
well, I can say so much: there IS going to be something VERY important, that has nothing to do with the games features itself.
Would this be a guessing game, I would have to have said "hot" a few times, but those speculating about release date would be "veeeeery cold
Do you mean a moderator of the Bioware board?

Morn

Banned
You don't do pre-order w/ early access for a game being released in 2012.

How's this.

They announce the pre-order and CE details Thursday.

At PAX they announce the October 4th release date. And the weekend leading up to release is the headstart.

Sigfodr

Moaradin said:
awesome.jpg
I do like this, especially a lot of love for Malgus. His character in Deceived is the only reason I am tempted to the dark side. That said, still rolling Smuggler first, Jedi Knight second.

Sennorin said:
Is the girl holding a dual-light saber, or what´s with the enormously long grip?
That "girl" is Shatele Shan (possibly kin of Bastilla from KOTOR) and yes, she uses a Dual-Bladed light saber.

Derwind said:
Double-Bladed saber.... She's the Jedi from the "Hope" trailer.
And the Return trailer. She's also in both books, if only a little bit.

Edit: I don't think this box is real, though. Some of it looks like it took a great deal of effort, while the rest looks unbalanced. Also, I believe all the images are from CG scenes. Do you have a source?

Darklord

Banned
Morn said:

How's this.

At PAX they announce the October 4th release date. And the weekend leading up to release is the headstart.

Why do you think October 4th? After hearing John Riccatello's reasoning on why there was no E3 release date I don't think it'll be 2012 anymore. Didn't that cake website say it was November though?

Sigfodr

Morn said:

How's this.

I agree with you on everything but the actual release date. I'm still feeling early Nov or maybe late Oct

Hixx

Darklord said:
Why do you think October 4th? After hearing John Riccatello's reasoning on why there was no E3 release date I don't think it'll be 2012 anymore. Didn't that cake website say it was November though?

That was from a (3rd party?) financial report which Bioware has since denied afaik

Morn

Banned
Darklord said:

That was a financial investment firm speculating.

Everything from leaked Origin timelines to retailer leaks point to early October and well before Battlefield 3.

EA is going to use TOR being exclusive to Origin to build up a customer base there prior to the release of Battlefield 3, which isn't Origin exclusive.

Morn

Banned
BTW, the Comic Con panel is LATE on Thursday...so with luck I'll be able to attend and liveblog it to this thread.

I'm standing in line for exclusives Thursday morning, but I hope to be done by 3:30 when the panel starts.

Woorloog

Banned
Cool box art though the Jedi in front has a bit disturbing pose. IMO. Can't he stand just like everyone else?

Love the box art actually. The style of the cover art... it's fucking great. Like KOTOR box art, which looks a lot like original SW movie posters.
You know what, sort of, sold me Mass Effect? The cover. Looked like Star Wars. Nothing's ever gonna top that desing in posters and covers in my opinion.

Eh, you can probably see from avatar that i'm a SW fan.

LowParry

Jarmel said:
Finally. Someone actually does a decent cover.

Bravo.

Edit:Actually I'm starting to think it's fake. It's too good.

That's just it. It's too good to be fake. If it is, someone should hire that man/woman to do more art. Simply amazing.

Jarmel

Banned
CcrooK said:
That's just it. It's too good to be fake. If it is, someone should hire that man/woman to do more art. Simply amazing.

That's one of the best covers I've seen in awhile. After seeing so many god awful covers, I can't believe I'm seeing a really decent one.

Trouble

Banned
I don't think it's fake. Those pictures of the characters don't seem to clipped from existing artwork that I've seen. If it is fake, it's an amazing fake.

Lucius86

Banned
Trouble said:
I don't think it's fake. Those pictures of the characters don't seem to clipped from existing artwork that I've seen. If it is fake, it's an amazing fake.

Yep, not seen those images elsewhere either.

Rflagg

If that boxart is real this confirms I will get a retail copy.
unless they give some amazing bonuses for getting it through Orgin.

Edit: I would buy a poster of that if it were offered

Sigfodr

I still say fake. You have five references to the Republic side (Shan, Zallow, the T-7, the trooper, and the Corellian Defender) but only tree to Empire (Malgus, Shae, and the Imperial starship). I would think that Bioware would seek to balance the two sides on the cover. I don't mean a split cover or anything, just more equal representation. Malgus does take up a healthy chunk of the cover, though.

Also, Shan's lightsaber does look oversized. Now, I know that she uses a dual-blade, but it still could be done to look less goofy. While only a few images from this cover appear in the trailers as they are (Shae, Malgus, the ships, the T-7, and the trooper), it could still be pieced together by a stellar shopper.

Shan, her lightsaber, and the Lucasarts logo are the only things to break the line, yet the original KOTOR cover showed that crossover equally between Malak, Bastilla, and the opposing ships.

While the cover is great and inventive, I think it's a bit too unbalanced and shows the fanboy love (original bits from the KOTOR cover) that breaks the fact that it's the real deal. No one of these facts makes me think this, but all of them combined leads me to that conclusion.

Edit: Just noticed there are no non-humans save for the droid, as well. Seems racist ;D

As a note, I do like the cover, it just doesn't seem quite proper. We'll see, I suppose. I'm going to stop caring now.

Woorloog

Banned
It's natural that TOR cover is Republic oriented. Star Wars covers usually are. Besides, Republic WILL WIN (not my opinion, it's a fact). The Sith Empire is doomed by history. Err, Future. Canon, whatever.

But... maybe, just maybe, there's two different covers for TOR OR the collector edition will have Empire-centric cover.

Moaradin

Here's some reason why I believe it is real.

1. Notice the Zallow pic(dude in the front). I've never seen that art before. It doesn't look cropped from anywhere.

2. Look at the pre-order bonus. Imagine if you were making a fake box art image. Who in the hell would think to add "Pre-Order now to get a colour stone to change your weapon effect"?

It's either real or the dude who made it is an artistic genius and should be somewhere making big money for his art instead of making fakes for video game box arts.

Sigfodr

Moaradin said:
It's either real or the dude who made it is an artistic genius and should be somewhere making big money for his art instead of making fakes for video game box arts.
We've all seen some absolutely brilliant fakes that have left us heartbroken to see the legit art.

As an aside, is your user-name a play on the Mass Effect character?

Moaradin

Sigfodr said:
We've all seen some absolutely brilliant fakes that have left us heartbroken to see the legit art.

As an aside, is your user-name a play on the Mass Effect character?

Na it was inspired by Muradin from WC3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom