• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xamdou

Nobiru said:
How is this a "stand-out feature"? loads of games can do this on Steam.

edit: also all Blizzard games like this as well.

Lot's of games can do it on steam yes but not all. All Blizzard games yes. ALL EA games able to get a digital copy off origin is a stand-out feature.

LowParry

Xamdou said:
What's the authenticator for?

It's pretty much your extra "password" to your account. It saves me the hassle of potentially not dealing with my account be hacked. So every time I log in, I have to input an extra set of numbers for my password. It's not that big of a hassle to do. I've already had to go through the hassle of a hacked account with WoW. Never again.

Edit: Xabora with the specifics. :D

Xamdou

CcrooK said:
It's pretty much your extra "password" to your account. It saves me the hassle of potentially not dealing with my account be hacked. So every time I log in, I have to input an extra set of numbers for my password. It's not that big of a hassle to do. I've already had to go through the hassle of a hacked account with WoW. Never again.

I see, the authenticator is a must have item then. Looks like I will also have to get C.E to get it even though I don't even want the Darth Malgus statue.

Artadius

CoilShot said:
whats the big deal about the authenticator?

Not using an authenticator opens you up to getting your account hijacked by someone else. You'll log on only to find out your characters have all had their items sold and money sent off to someone else.

This happens all the time in WoW and I laugh all the time at the people who say they're careful this and don't download that so they should never have to worry about that... only to find out a few weeks or months later their account is locked due to suspicious activity. It's gotten so bad in WoW that many guilds require you to have one on your account before you're allowed to join (it can be verified in game if you have one or not).

Plissken

Xamdou said:
I see, the authenticator is a must have item then. Looks like I will also have to get C.E to get it even though I don't even want the Darth Malgus statue.

I seriously doubt the authenticator will be a CE only thing, they'll sell them individually.

CcrooK said:
I hope that authenticator I can buy separate if I don't end up getting the retail version.
I'm pretty sure they'll have something available at launch that you can download or purchase. It wouldn't make sense to only have authenticators available to CE purchasers while leaving retail/digital customers with nothing to secure themselves with.

Xamdou said:
So who get's dibs on original in-game user names? The beta testers or the first players to get the game on day one?
No game has ever let beta testers reserve names, that's just asinine. However it looks like TOR will have a "head start" if you pre-order, so in that case the people who pre-order will get first pick.

LowParry

Xamdou said:
So who get's dibs on original in-game user names? The beta testers or the first players to get the game on day one?

Day one players for sure. It's a shame developers didn't take the lead from EQ2 where we were allowed to created our characters early on and apply them once the game launched. Of course you couldn't register your name but it saved you the hassle of creating your character quick.

Xamdou

Baller said:
No game has ever let beta testers reserve names, that's just asinine. However it looks like TOR will have a "head start" if you pre-order, so in that case the people who pre-order will get first pick.

Makes sense, as soon as they have the pre-order details up Collectors edition for me! :)

Morn

Banned
Baller said:

LOTRO did.

Emitan

It's taken me months to decide on my AC and now I have to come up with a name? dioasjdioasdn FUCK THIS I CAN'T MAKE DECISIONS.

The worst part is I've known what would alt would be for months: Human Male Vanguard named Billychu who tanks.

My main: Twi'lek Female Scoundrel who does whatever the Scapper tree does named ????

eastmen

Banned
Derwind said:
Another way you could put it is...

You're already investing $150 for a CE and now you have to fork over another $30 for a blu-ray drive?

24x dvd drive will read at 32MB/s 8.4GB / 32MB/s = 262seconds / 60 = 4.375 minutes and thats with a constant read speed , speeds vary depending on where you are on the disc and 32MB/s is the fastest speed. 4.375x 4 = 17.48 minutes

12x Bluray is 54MB/s and will take about 7.5 minutes to read 25GB of data .

The best part of a bluray drive is that you can leave and go do something for 8 minutes while it installs .

With the dvd drive you have to constantly change discs.

Emitan

I'm probably going to buy a Bluray drive at some point for my desktop for movies, but I buy all my games digitally so I wouldn't use it for games. Preloading from Steam is going to be faster than installing on release day.

EDIT: I'm not implying this game is on Steam. I just mean in general.

eastmen

Banned
Xamdou said:
We all know:

Pre-Load Digital format > blu-ray/DVD/CD.

Let's give it a rest people.

It all depends if its 4 dual layer dvds your looking at what 33.6 GB of data possible. Thats quite a big download for alot of people

I'm not sure I'll get an awnswer but I'll give it a try. I'm a real noob when it comes to gaming rigs.

I have to play a laptop and I'm planning to buy an alienware mx17 (sp?) It will sport a 6690m graphic card and a 2760 cpu intel. Do you believe this will run swtor at best setting or close to it?

Thanks, I know the game is not out but we have beta testers and not going off the NDA route, perhaps they can give a rough estimate?

gatti-man

eastmen said:
It all depends if its 4 dual layer dvds your looking at what 33.6 GB of data possible. Thats quite a big download for alot of people
Yeah that's days and my computer soaks up electricity. Still if they allow a pre install im in.

Xamdou

eastmen said:

I have comcast cable and my download speed is 25MPBS. With pre-load option I can download the game overnight and wake up with the download already done. This is the easiest route for me.

For people with really slow internet installing from the dvd's are their only option. It is highly doubtful SWTOR will support the Blu-Ray format release seeing as how not a lot of PC games use it.

gatti-man

The_Squirrel_Menace said:
I'm not sure I'll get an awnswer but I'll give it a try. I'm a real noob when it comes to gaming rigs.

I have to play a laptop and I'm planning to buy an alienware mx17 (sp?) It will sport a 6690m graphic card and a 2760 cpu intel. Do you believe this will run swtor at best setting or close to it?

Thanks, I know the game is not out but we have beta testers and not going off the NDA route, perhaps they can give a rough estimate?

I used to own an m17x with dual 260m's. Just thinking back to wow and ff14 im thinking medium settings is more realistic.

Yaska

150€ for CE is pretty high, but then again it's Star Wars. I hope they would include some more stuff in it. I will buy it nonetheless, I'm afraid.

Xamdou

CcrooK said:
If the price for the CE is really that much, releases in September along side with the Blu Rays? ......fml. :(

And here I thought November will be the most expensive month of the year! XD

Gears of War 3 (9/20) , Star Wars: The Complete Saga (9/16) and maybe SW: TOR if they release during September to ride along the Blu-Ray movie hype.

So Gears 3 ($60), SW: Complete Saga ($90) and SW:TOR ($150) = $300 !><!

Derwind

Time to dip into the life savings...

article-1155731-02DAC8AA00000578-34_468x454.jpg

Emitan

I'm doing pretty well. The only games I really want this year are Bastion ($15), Journey ($15?), DARK SOULS ($60), Halo:AE ($40) and SWTOR ($50). But I also need new RAM but that's still not too much money.

EDIT: And maybe Kirby Wii ($50

gatti-man

Xamdou said:
And here I thought November will be the most expensive month of the year! XD

Gears of War 3 (9/20) , Star Wars: The Complete Saga (9/16) and maybe SW: TOR if they release during September to ride along the Blu-Ray movie hype.

So Gears 3 ($60), SW: Complete Saga ($90) and SW:TOR ($150) = $300 !><!

This is me as well. I've never been more happy to spend$ 300. Gears is just pure bro fun. Star wars is star wars.

Giolon

Should that CE turn out to be true, it'll be easy for me to skip. I couldn't give two shits about Darth Malgus.

If they had a Satele Shan figure though...things would be different.

antonz

yeah I think I will have to settle on a Digital CE. I cant justify 150 bucks because of a crappy character statue.

I cant find that early image at all of the CE box anymore. May very well have been legit early work since it has seemingly vanished

Giolon said:
Should that CE turn out to be true, it'll be easy for me to skip. I couldn't give two shits about Darth Malgus.

If they had a Satele Shan figure though...things would be different.

There are rumors there will also be a Republic edition with a Satele Shan figure. I would prefer her as well. We will probably know for sure come Thursday.

I don't think I am ready to buy a 150€ CE anyway. Might just go for the digital deluxe edition.

Derwind

I'll likely get a digital version as well. I mean if that's really all the CE provide's(which it probably doesn't since it's a work in progress).

pahamrick

I had told myself years ago that I would definitely be getting the CE, without a doubt. If it wasn't for the statue jamming up the price, I still would be. Just can't justify the purchase for a statue that is doing nothing more than jacking up the price, imo.

So, I'll definitely be grabbing the digital CE. Hopefully it gets the same, or similar items and the only reason to go for the retail CE is for the physical goodies.

Sigfodr

God dammit I hate this thing. That is twice what I expected for a CE, and just for a meh figure that will likely be crap quality. Now, Malgus is a cool enough character (after reading Deceived), but I am twenty-six and married with no space in my apartment. He will barely be visible, so why would I pay $80 for him. I really thought the pricing would be more in line with WAR or WoW CEs, but this just doesn't do it for me. Origin, huh? Well, I already have the client...

antonz

Sigfodr said:
God dammit I hate this thing. That is twice what I expected for a CE, and just for a meh figure that will likely be crap quality. Now, Malgus is a cool enough character (after reading Deceived), but I am twenty-six and married with no space in my apartment. He will barely be visible, so why would I pay $80 for him. I really thought the pricing would be more in line with WAR or WoW CEs, but this just doesn't do it for me. Origin, huh? Well, I already have the client...
Yep I was open to hitting that 99.99 but 150 is just too much. 99.99 would have already been a 40 dollar markup over normal retail price of a PC game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom