• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Jackson said:

Man you must be so fed up of demoing that same tree level to everyone by now.

...actually maybe not, you seem to show something new in every video. Holy shit. God with a shotgun was flippin' awesome.

Thanks for the video. This game just looks unbelievable.

Nocebo said:
I wonder what "terminator" would spawn :D

b2c38d5f4549e1c713596c9c85ae6a4e.jpg

It's a happy problem, but I really think this game is going to spawn copycats. This is such an amazing concept and if it sells well, I guarantee that others are going to try something like it.
We'll all know that 5th cell was first, of course, but I just hope the team is emotionally (and legally?) prepared for imitations.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
civilstrife said:
It's a happy problem, but I really think this game is going to spawn copycats. This is such an amazing concept and if it sells well, I guarantee that others are going to try something like it.
We'll all know that 5th cell was first, of course, but I just hope the team is emotionally (and legally?) prepared for imitations.

I could be way wrong on this, but I seriously doubt it unless it's from another HUGE developer. First off, the concept is so uniquely Scribblenauts, anyone who follows in their footsteps will be instantly called out and associated as a knockoff. Not to mention the only developer that would take a good, clean look at this concept and not run far, far away would be one with the considerable means to replicate it would be a huge developer like Nintendo or Capcom or someone. And any developer that big wouldn't want their game to be associated as the blatant ripoff of Scribblenauts.

Plus, if anyone tried doing this again, 5th Cell already has the huge head start. After putting this much ridiculous effort into their game, don't think that this will be the only time we see it being put to use. I'm sure 5th Cell will always stay ahead of the curve of the new subgenre they've created. Perhaps we'll see more open-ended games, but I'd rather 5th Cell just use this "write anything" system in some new awesome RPG, or a straight-up platform action game. I don't know, Jackson will think of something.

Sorry if this post seems like it's being written in broken sentences and retarded English. It's roughly 5:12 here, and while I'm not too tired to make a post, I'm far to tired to care about solid sentence structure.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
civilstrife said:
I don't know whether that's actually a problem. I mean, imagine this game as a 3D MMO on PC or something. Can 5th Cell pull something like that off? Not likely. Could you call that stealing an idea? Not really, rather taking it further, which is a good thing.

I'd REALLY love it if 5th Cell would release the item DB, so that things can be made that are beyond their scope with this stuff.

Nocebo

I can see my self spending hours upon hours just spawning things because I want to find out what it looks like in the game. After I'm through with that I could spend weeks just glueing things together. After that comes rope or settings things on fire... maybe I'll work through the actual levels a year after I've bought it :lol

wmat said:
I don't know whether that's actually a problem. I mean, imagine this game as a 3D MMO on PC or something. Can 5th Cell pull something like that off? Not likely. Could you call that stealing an idea? Not really, rather taking it further, which is a good thing.

I'd REALLY love it if 5th Cell would release the item DB, so that things can be made that are beyond their scope with this stuff.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was referring to. It isn't a huge stretch to imagine an open-source, user modified version of this, where users can add to the word database and create their own levels, items and puzzles from scratch.

I fully expect this game to be awesome and have pretty much every object I can think up, but some are bound to be missing or under-developed. I can imagine a version in which the object database is accessed remotely online, and is constantly being updated with players' creations. I just think that if 5th cell doesn't expand upon this idea, someone else will. I hope 5th cell does it first.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm complaining, lol. I'm floored by the game and am absolutely planning to buy it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
civilstrife said:
I can imagine a version in which the object database is accessed remotely online, and is constantly being updated with players' creations.
I imagine a database filled with penises.

Nocebo

civilstrife said:
I fully expect this game to be awesome and have pretty much every object I can think up, but some are bound to be missing or under-developed. I can imagine a version in which the object database is accessed remotely online, and is constantly being updated with players' creations.
Something like that would have to be heavily regulated. I don't want 1000 versions of a toaster in my game for instance. I also wouldn't care about made up things.

Willeth

wmat said:

Anyone who wanted to do something similar would be a fucking idiot if they didn't try to licence Objectnaut and the database, and instead did all the work over again.

I love how many awards this game is getting thanks to E3. It's takes awhile to properly explain the concept and the sheer scope and magnitude of the game, but once I have, I've found 100% of people I've explained it to are hyped as fuck. Hopefully all this public attention will encourage people to check it out.

I mean Christ, I'm actually "advertising" this game on Facebook. I never do that. I usually keep my inner gaming nerd hidden deep inside. But how can you NOT want to tell god damn everybody about this game?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.

wow. im buying scribblenauts and a DSi.

Nocebo

Haunted said:
Should've won all those in general, not just in the IGN DS subsection.
Frown01.gif
I'm sure you know the western developer/journalism community hates the DS (and the wii). So it's not really surprising.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I wonder if this is going to be another one of those titles that is almost universally liked and loved to death by the press and message boards like these, but subsequently is going to be ignored by the masses and bomb hard, much to the bewilderment of said press and boards.

Rei_Toei said:
I wonder if this is going to be another one of those titles that is almost universally liked and loved to death by the press and message boards like these, but subsequently is going to be ignored by the masses and bomb hard, much to the bewilderment of said press and boards.

Maybe. I'd say this game does a healthy split of casual and hardcore, which causes both Internet and Real Life alike to swoon over it. Just a matter of explaining to people what exactly you can do. Seriously, this shit could be featured on something like The Today Show and fit perfectly. There's no demographic for this game because it fits damn near every demographic.

Also, after rewatching some videos I proclaim you need to add Jeremiah's now famous "Why not?" line to the game's advertising somehow. It fits in perfectly with the idea of the game. Wanna do this? Sure, why not?

Scribblenauts: Why naut?

oh gosh

Nocebo

Rei_Toei said:
I think it has the potential to be huge. Simply because it's sure to generate lots of powerful word of mouth advertising. I mean post 217 is a good example, summarised into a single sentence an event in scribblenauts sounds amazing and fun.
The ideas in scribblenauts are simple to convey and they trigger the imagination which is important. The game is also easy to show off in a couple of seconds. The controls are easy etc. etc.

wrowa

Haunted said:
Should've won all those in general, not just in the IGN DS subsection.
Frown01.gif
IGN has yet to publish the overall awards – and Scribblenauts is at least nominated as the Game of the Show. It certainly has no chance of winning the award, though (lol, a quirky DS game winning the Game of the Show award of a major gaming site? Not in this world!).

tabsina

Nocebo said:
I think it has the potential to be huge. Simply because it's sure to generate lots of powerful word of mouth advertising. I mean post 217 is a good example, summarised into a single sentence an event in scribblenauts sounds amazing and fun.
The ideas in scribblenauts are simple to convey and they trigger the imagination which is important. The game is also easy to show off in a couple of seconds. The controls are easy etc. etc.

definitely.. even now before release, but moreso after.. all you have to tell someone before they give it a shot is "write anything"

SirPenguin said:
Also, after rewatching some videos I proclaim you need to add Jeremiah's now famous "Why not?" line to the game's advertising somehow. It fits in perfectly with the idea of the game. Wanna do this? Sure, why not?

Scribblenauts: Why naut?

oh gosh
I was waiting for someone to mentione the 'why not' :lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Haunted said:
Didn't know the general awards hadn't been given out yet, I don't follow IGN. But man, it better win.
It deserves to win, but I doubt IGN Xbox and IGN PS3 are going to vote a DS game.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
When I get the game, I fully intend to try to prove the old saying that there is no problem which cannot be solved with a suitable application of explosives.

::edit::
You know, I always see videos with them summoning God, which got me wondering if anybody tried Jesus, which got me REALLY wondering if they put Allah (who I assume would look just like "god" anyway) or Muhammad in there...

Apoc29

I think this game has to potential to be a great story making-tool. I mean, it kind of already is, judging from the cool stories in this thread. But I mean something more structured, like a mini-movie with dialogue. LittleBigPlanet does this to some extent, where you play through a level with text interspersed that tells a story. Think of all the awesome machinima that could come out of it!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Apoc29 said:
I think this game has to potential to be a great story making-tool. I mean, it kind of already is, judging from the cool stories in this thread. But I mean something more structured, like a mini-movie with dialogue. LittleBigPlanet does this to some extent, where you play through a level with text interspersed that tells a story. Think of all the awesome machinima that could come out of it!

Yeah, a kind of "Dungeon Master" style story system would work so well with a game like this, where one player 'controls' the main world.

The premise might be based largely around puzzles, but the sheer amount of content would make so many other 'games' possible.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
So somebody at work posed a question, if we cannot use adjectives, then how come we can type something like "time machine"? Under that stipulation I should be able to type "fire bear" eventhough I know the game wont allow for that (cause Jackson already explained as such)

EatChildren said:
Yeah, a kind of "Dungeon Master" style story system would work so well with a game like this, where one player 'controls' the main world.

The premise might be based largely around puzzles, but the sheer amount of content would make so many other 'games' possible.

Can you imagine a Let's Play/CYOA with this game?

"Ok guys, we gotta get the star"

"SPAWN SANTA"

"Uh...ok..."

"NOW GLUE A ROCKET TO HIS HEAD"

Willeth

Raging Spaniard said:
So somebody at work posed a question, if we cannot use adjectives, then how come we can type something like "time machine"? Under that stipulation I should be able to type "fire bear" eventhough I know the game wont allow for that (cause Jackson already explained as such)
Because the 'only improper nouns' rule isn't very strict - it's there as a design limitation, not a technical one. It's only a base. From there, they can put in anything else that they like that seems logical.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Willeth said:
Because the 'only improper nouns' rule isn't very strict - it's there as a design limitation, not a technical one. It's only a base. From there, they can put in anything else that they like that seems logical.

Its a problem because it sets expectations. You instill a rule but then break it when it makes sense wont ring for some people because what makes sense to ME can be completely different from anybody else.

I mean, if you could write "machine" and then "clock" and throw the clock to the machine to turn it into a time machine, then that would make sense because it follows the same process that you would in order to get a bear on fire.

Either way its just a thought and something Ive heard people complain about in the studio (and of course, none of us have played the game, so its all skepticism)

Willeth

Raging Spaniard said:
Its a problem because it sets expectations. You instill a rule but then break it when it makes sense wont ring for some people because what makes sense to ME can be completely different from anybody else.

I mean, if you could write "machine" and then "clock" and throw the clock to the machine to turn it into a time machine, then that would make sense because it follows the same process that you would in order to get a bear on fire.

Either way its just a thought and something Ive heard people complain about in the studio (and of course, none of us have played the game, so its all skepticism)
What kind of world do you live in where throwing a clock at something turns it into a time machine? :lol

I think the way to think about it is that you can make 'things', rather than any more cast-iron rules than that.

xfactor

Banned
Mike M said:
Damn right!

yah. It went up against established franchises like Golden Sun DS, Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Kingdom Hearts and Mario & Luigi: Browser's inside story, and emerged the winner :D Hopefully it'll get even more exposure now

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Raging Spaniard said:

More than breaking the rules, I see the game also having nouns composed by more than one word.
Time machine is a single object, not a generic machine whose added "time" modifier changes its status or properties.
So, it's radically different from "fire bear" spawning a bear on fire, because there's no object/animal called this way.

Rapping Granny said:
:lol :lol awesome.
What makes the picture even more awesome is the fact the keyboard cat is playing Jackson off.

Raging Spaniard said:
So somebody at work posed a question, if we cannot use adjectives, then how come we can type something like "time machine"?

Because "time" there isn't really a modifying adjective, it's part of a compound noun phrase. The object that you're making is a time machine, not a machine that just happens to be "time-y."

xfactor

Banned
Jocchan said:
More than breaking the rules, I see the game also having nouns composed by more than one word.
Time machine is a single object, not a generic machine whose added "time" modifier changes its status or properties.
So, it's radically different from "fire bear" spawning a bear on fire, because there's no object/animal called this way.

What makes the picture even more awesome is the fact the keyboard cat is playing Jackson off.

hmm. "Fire truck' will be another example right?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
xfactor said:
hmm. "Fire truck' will be another example right?
Exactly. It would spawn the truck used by firemen, which is a completely different object from just a generic truck.

Also, the one rule they might arguably have broken is "no proper nouns": in one of the videos we saw someone summoning Einstein.
And I'm saying arguably because in some instances proper nouns, because of their continuous usage, become part of a language itself. One example is "nutella", which nowadays is often used for any chocolate/hazelnuts cream and not just for the original one made by Ferrero (now that I think about it, can we summon jars of generic-branded nutella, Jackson?). So, the same could be said for Einstein.
Some clarification about this would be nice.

Blizzard

Banned
I think that basically, they're trying to "guarantee" all normal objects that match the rules, but there are obviously additional special things (like Feep, Post 217, Jackson, Einstein, Cthulhu, longcat, ftw) that don't follow the rules.

Top Bottom