• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power - July 2009 Issue (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, Scribblenauts, Muramasa)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Nintendo Power

News
-- Majesco’s “Flip’s Twisted World” (Wii) will feature an original score by Tommy Tallarico
-- Natsume is releasing the minigame based game, “Harvest Moon: My Little Shop” for Wiiware
-- “Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga” (Wii) will have two-play online co-op
-- Sega is releasing a new “Jambo! Safari” game for the Wii and DS.
-- ZootFly Studios is making a game staring Mr. T and Will Wright fighting Nazis (Wii)

Release Dates
-- Marvel Super Hero Squad (Wii, DS) – Fall 2009
-- Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga (Wii) – Summer’s End
-- Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii) – August 24th
-- Icarian: Kindred Spirits (Wiiware) – Summer

Previews:

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
-At first your partner will be predetermined by later you can choose who you will bring on a mission
-at one point in the game a flashback occurs on the bottom screen while the normal screen still occurs on top.
-panels represent everything in this game: items, magic, items, experience points, items….
-You can unlock multiplayer missions by finding “Proof of Union” tokens in the single player game
-You can play as any Organization XIII character in the multiplayer mode
-NP compares the multiplayer mode to Legend of Zelda: Four Swords
-having the most gems in a multiplayer game wins you a mission crown, which can be traded for prizes in the single player mode.
-Nomura thinks this would be a good first game for players new to the series

Tatsunoko vs Capcom
-originally, this article's leak is what confirmed its US release but by now there really isn't anything new to say

Scribblenauts
-280 stages made up of either Puzzle stages (complete an objective to get the Starite) or Action stages (get the character to the Starite).
-"A par system that challenges you to beat levels using the fewest objects possible and a limit system that prevents you from repeating solutions on subsequent playthroughts add extra layers of playability, while a custom level editor ensures that the game could quite literally be limitless."
-at one point there was a glitch that allowed two bunnies to multiple infinitly until the game crashed and another error that allowed an elephant pick up a bazooka with its trunk and fire it madly

"Well, the game started out featuring an astronaut that traveled to different worlds to help inhabitants by using his writing ability, but the character felt too generic and faceless. Eventually I decided there wasn't a need for a story in the game, and the astronaut changed into Maxwell, the Scribblenaut! The Title was originally a placeholder name, but it was unique and catchy, so we decided to keep it" -- Jeremiah Slackza, creative director
"The game has so many words that I doubt people will find them all. Having rare, obscure, and silly words that are missing from the game is unfortunately inevitable, but we know people will enjoy the amount of words we've put in there." -- Jeremiah Slackza, creative director

Muramasa: The Demon Blade
-collected souls of defeated enemies can be taken to Muramasa who will craft new blades
-between battles you can make camp and cook food to restore HP or increase stats.
-players are encouraged to alternate between the two character’s quests because not only do the stories intersect but so do the “sword trees” which decide the prerequisites for forging

Interview: George Kamitani
“..In fact, Ninja Princess Crown was the working title on the very first draft of the game’s design document. We submitted the proposal to Sega and Atlus, but unfortunately neither seemed interested in the idea. Just when we thought we had exhausted all of our potions, Marvelous Entertainment stepped in and offered to publish it.”
“At the 2008 Tokyo Game Show, I was sitting behind the Muramasa: The Demon Blade kiosk, still writing the game endings on my cell phone!”
“And we couldn’t remove the hot spring because, well, that would have just made me sad.”
“It’s those who were dissatisfied with Odin Sphere that I most hope will try Muramasa: The Demon Blade”
“Early in development, we were displaying text vertically, in the traditional Japanese style. But since that would look very strange in English, we changed it to a more conventional horizontal layout for the sake of the international market.”
“When we draw the graphics, we create them in high resolution from the beginning, and then shrink them down to fit the available memory when we convert them into game data.”
“So, any hints on what you’re working on next?”
“We’re making a 2-D game, of course! Unfortunately, I can’t tell you anything more than that. We’re working really hard in hopes that we can announce the project soon… But when Starcraft 2 comes out, there’s a strong possibility that we’ll get hooked and won’t be able to work anymore. [Laughs]”

Astro Boy (Wii)
-developed by High Voltage Software
-70% of the game is side and vertical scrolling levels made up of 2D action/platforming (like Astro Boy: Omega Factor!)
-30% of the game is made out of shooter levels ala Gradius (or Astro Boy: Omega Factor!)

Interview: Hideo Yoshizawa
-creator of Ninja Gaiden and Klonoa
-He use to have a hard time playing 3-D games, hence why he creates 2-D games
-The Phantomile language from Klonoa is made up of random words and sounds the developers blurted out in a meeting, including german words twisted around and the names of musicians scrambled up
-The reason Klonoa has a double jump is because during the game’s development the marketing team asked if his big floppy ears allowed him to fly and so the development team, worrying that the public would think the same, decided to give him an extra boost caused by the ears.

Reviews
The Conduit – 8.0
Let’s Tap – 7.0
Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings (Wii) – 7.5
Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Wii) – 7.5
Knights in the Nightmare – 8.0
Lego Battles – 5.0
The Munchables – 7.0
Harvest Moon: Frantic Farming – 8.0
Boom Blox Bash Party – 8.0
Grand Slam Tennis – 7.5
Phantom Brave: We Meet Again – 8.0
Roogoo Attack – 4.0
Naruto Shippuden: Ninja Council 4 – 5.0
Miami Law – 3.0
The Legendary Starfy – 7.0
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 – 9.0
Destiny of Zorro – 2.5
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (Wii) – 5.0

The Conduit – “worthwhile endeavor” but wouldn’t “make as big an impact on a competing console”

Pros
-large amount of customization
-good weapon selection
-Intriguing locals (Library of Congress, Pentagon, etc.)
-“platform defining online play”
-Bounty Hunter mode
-best pure first person shooter on the Wii

Cons
-story is rote
-enemy AI fails to impress
-little innovation to speak of (outside if the controls)
-level of detail in the environment can be inconsistent at times
-no destructible environments
-The “All Seeing Eye” is a cool idea but underutilized
-the abrupt, Halo-esque ending (hints at a sequel?)

Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

Pros
-“ultimately enjoyable, with some nice gameplay variety and good sound-alike voice acting”
-comes with Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis!

Cons
-lack of context sensitivity
-checkpoints aren’t placed as well as they should be
-“combat relies heavily on context-sensitive environmental interactions”

Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Pros
-It’s Ghostbusters!
-impressive number of environmental objects
-wrangling a ghost with the Wiimote is fun

Cons
-gets repetitive, doesn’t stay fresh
-AI allies are not helpful

Knights in the Nightmare

Pros
-beautiful game with rich background art and 3-D fireworks
-involving story
-“great combination of cerebral strategy and pure twitch challenge”
-“Mastering the game itself is the real award, though”

Cons
-Learning curve? This one has a learning cliff!

The Legendary Starfy

Pros
-2-D graphics look great
-controls smoothly
-plethora of moves
-wealth of content

Cons
-gameplay feels generic
-level design is bland
-“not much technique involved in using Starfy’s myriad moves”
-not really challenging

Grand Slam Tennis

Pros
-plenty of play modes
-abundance of real players and venues
-RPG elements provide incentives to keep playing
-without Wiimotion Plus its just like Wiisports, but with it adds additional controls to the game

Cons
-steep learning curve
-game sometimes misreads the player's intentions

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10

Pros
-swing mechanics have uncanny precision
-new level of control
-new putting system is more realistic
-new features such as live online tournaments, weather conditions via the forecast channel and disc-golf
-good commentary
-"most authentic sports video game I've ever played"

Cons
-putting recommendations can be inaccurate

Miami Law

Pros
-campy humor

Cons
-awkward dialogue
-weird plot holes
-puzzles are full of confusing gaps in logic
-conversation trees are pointlessly frustrating
-picking the wrong choice of two equally sensible answers can kill you without warning

Next Month
E3! (wait a minute…)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
:lol @ the Scribblenauts story comment. Fuck it! Our game's too mindblowing to need one. So awesome!

WTF how is HVS doing so many damn games?! Conduit, Gladiator, Grinder, now Astro Boy, and another one? That's crazy.

Hmm.. I don't know if I can resist Indiana Jones and the Fate of At.. I mean Staff of Kings.

Meesh

Astro Boy (Wii)
-70% of the game is side and vertical scrolling levels made up of 2D action/platforming (like Astro Boy: Omega Factor!)
-30% of the game is made out of shooter levels ala Gradius (or Astro Boy: Omega Factor!)

These guys keep popping up where you least expect it, they've got their sticky fingers into everything!!!

Astro Boy huh, hmmm....I did love the anime, 2d luv'n, and Conduit did score slightly under average...+1?

Evilink said:
These guys keep popping up where you least expect it, they've got their sticky fingers into everything!!!

Astro Boy huh, hmmm....I did love the anime, 2d luv'n, and Conduit did score slightly under average...+1?

8 is under average?

Anyway, I doubt it'll be as good as Treasure's AstroBoy.

AniHawk

Thanks man. Pretty much sums up my opinions on The Conduit and Starfy too.

Bounty Hunter mode is indeed awesome.

JDSN

Banned
Whoa, an open ending? I dont think the brand (and the game) look good enough to get that treatment.

Damn the Wii games keep coming. Does the Astro Boy use 2D or 3D graphics?

Either way 2D gaming is quickly on its way back on the Wii. And people didn't claim that having a lower powered console didn't have any benefits.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
..pakbeka.. said:
does the astro boy game uses assets from the new cg movie?
Flying_Phoenix said:
Damn the Wii games keep coming. Does the Astro Boy use 2D or 3D graphics?

Either way 2D gaming is quickly on its way back on the Wii. And people didn't claim that having a lower powered console didn't have any benefits.
It's 3D graphics on a 2D plane. And yes, its very much "Astro Boy: The Movie: The Game"

Interview with the head of Vanillaware! Awesome he's making another 2D game. I really hope that they spend more time with their games. From what I've played Grimgrimoire and Odin Sphere were both very interesting concepts and fun to play but just needed a bit more time in the oven to be declared "brilliant" when looking at them on a full side.

grandjedi6 said:
It's 3D graphics on a 2D plane. And yes, its very much "Astro Boy: The Movie: The Game"

Ahh I see.

GhaleonQ

grandjedi6 said:
Miami Law – 3.0

VICTORRR!

Kamitani said:
“It’s those who were dissatisfied with Odin Sphere that I most hope will try Muramasa: The Demon Blade”

And Edge says, "Would you guys consider emigrating?"

grandjedi6 said:
Astro Boy (Wii)

Comparing High Voltage to Treasure? *shakes head solemnly* No, sir.

I also find it really weird that Nintendo Power, which I consider erring on the side of simplicity, rates Sting games so highly.

Arde5643

ChoklitReign said:
If the Conduit single player really is that boring is it worth it for the multiplayer alone?
If you want to play multiplayer FPS in the Wii, what other options do you have? :)

The only FPS I play for story is Half Life, Metroid Prime, Bioshock - is there any other good FPS with good storyline?
Most FPS developed right now are emphasizing more on multiplayer than single player anyway.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
-at one point there was a glitch that allowed two bunnies to multiple infinitly until the game crashed and another error that allowed an elephant pick up a bazooka with its trunk and fire it madly

I don't think they should they should fix the elephant thing... It answers the age old question of what happens when you give an elephant a bazooka.

AniHawk

Firestorm said:
I've been saying this forever but I can't believe Nintendo Power said it too.

NP's surprisingly honest when it comes to reviews. Sometimes.

-- Majesco’s “Flip’s Twisted World” (Wii) will feature an original score by Tommy Tallarico

Did he know it was for a game on a Nintendo system before or after they paid him?

Of All Trades said:
8 is what Nintendo Power gave Sonic & the Black Night.
And Boom Blox Bash Party.
And Medal of Honor Heroes 2
And No More Heroes

Sonic is the only one that really didn't deserve it.
Still don't know how they screwed that one up.
Just use the same concepts from Secret Rings, fix the control flaws, and BAM! Instant awesome.

Meesh

Of All Trades said:
8 is what Nintendo Power gave Sonic & the Black Night.
And Boom Blox Bash Party.
And Medal of Honor Heroes 2
And No More Heroes

Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiike I said, sar-casm. sarcasm. Great games, and I was being sarcastic.

To clarify: Bought and loved NMH, Boom Blox was under appreciated. Sonic???hit or miss, I was making light of how sometimes the ratings don't always reflect the product, and how Conduit received a good reviews, but being an 8 for some isn't good enough anymore...for what ever reason...

Knights in the Nightmare

Pros
-beautiful game with rich background art and 3-D fireworks
-involving story
-“great combination of cerebral strategy and pure twitch challenge”
-“Mastering the game itself is the real award, though”

Cons
-Learning curve? This one has a learning cliff!

So true. I can't understand half of what's going on.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
:lol
You're joking. Why in the fuck should my money be wasted on you again?

Sloane

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Grand Slam Tennis – 7.5
Meh -- I've read so many completely different impressions about that game, I don't know what to think anymore.

grandjedi6 said:
Miami Law – 3.0
Is it really that bad or does NP just hate adventure games? I was actually thinking about buying it...

markot

Banned
and another error that allowed an elephant pick up a bazooka with its trunk and fire it madly

Sounds like the best error ever >_<!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Sloane said:
Meh -- I've read so many completely different impressions about that game, I don't know what to think anymore.

Seriously, what's the deal with this? It was on my must buy list but now I learn there's no Motionplus bundle and it's getting wildly varying scores. I'm confused.

Twig

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
:lol
You're joking. Why in the fuck should my money be wasted on you again?
Well obviously there's the unspoken addendum that he wants people who are also intelligent to try the game.

pakkit

Banned
3 years into it's lifespan, Wii gets its first game with online co-op.

BorkBork said:
Seriously, what's the deal with this? It was on my must buy list but now I learn there's no Motionplus bundle and it's getting wildly varying scores. I'm confused.
What are its other reviews?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
grandjedi said:
Astro Boy (Wii)

HOLY FUCKING CRAP

Top Bottom