• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Cybernator have the most underrated OST of all-time?

darkwings

Banned
Yeah I certainly think so. I started listening to this OST lately again and I realized how damn good it is. Masanao Akahori is a fucking genius! 17 years later and his OST still sounds awesome.

2SFAM-JA-Assault-suits-valken.jpg

1. Its Happenin' 4:25
2. Beyond the Top 4:54
3. Whos Praying for a Soldier 2:54
4. Fully Set Up for Penetration 2:03
5. We've Gotta Do It 2:36
6. No Time, No Shield 1:40
7. Mission Completed 0:12
8. Asteroid Run 2:31
9. Face to Face 1:37
10. Not for Peace 1:48
11. Living Possibility 1:36
12. Armed Ghost 2:33
13. Till the Crack of Doom 3:43
14. In Despair 4:36
15. Looking for the Infinitude 3:01I
16. Crashed Burn 0:11
17. Staff Roll 3:11

So many different styles and variation in this OST. My personal favorites are Beyond the Top and In Despair as they are very emotional songs.

What a game Cybernator (Assault Suits Valken) was :D

Even the original SPC files for snes sounds awesome. Still loving the in game version of In Despair.

darkwings

Banned
MarkMacD said:
Game is underrated in many ways. Never got the sequel(s) it deserved...

Word. It even had a good and a sad ending. In fact, Cybernator had one of the best endings I ever seen.

gfdoom

this game is one of the best 2d sidescrollers from the 16bit era. And it still holds up to date(playing on virtual console) the audio and game play is great! konami did release a pseudo sequel called "metal warriors" but it lacked the umph Cybernator had.

darkwings

Banned
gfdoom said:
this game is one of the best 2d sidescrollers from the 16bit era. And it still holds up to date(playing on virtual console) the audio and game play is great! konami did release a pseudo sequel called "metal warriors" but it lacked the umph Cybernator had.

Yeah I actually think this game is better then Contra III for Snes.

D.Lo

Well it is a great game with a great soundtrack, but that's not really a question with a verifiable answer.

Riddle me this: ASV/Cybernator - developed by NCS, published by Konami in the US/Europe and Masaya in Japan. Same with the SNES version of Prince of Persia (by far the best version ever made).

Yet both these games, and many others by NCS and Masaya in Japan, match up with the Konami style so perfectly I could easily mistake them for Konami developed games. Compare ASV and Axeley, for example, they look so similar in design. PoP SNES also matched the Konami style, it just looks and plays like a Konami game. The palates, the synth, the musical composition, the controls, they all just screamed Konami, who had a strong company style back then on the NES/SNES (when they could do nearly no wrong and I was a raving Konami fanboy for it).

Was there any relationship between NCS, Konami and Masaya? People in common? Anyone have any idea?

gfdoom

D.Lo said:
Well it is a great game with a great soundtrack, but that's not really a question with a verifiable answer.

Riddle me this: ASV/Cybernator - developed by NCS, published by Konami in the US/Europe and Masaya in Japan. Same with the SNES version of Prince of Persia (by far the best version ever made).

Yet both these games, and many others by NCS and Masaya in Japan, match up with the Konami style so perfectly I could easily mistake them for Konami developed games. Compare ASV and Axeley, for example, they look so similar in design. PoP SNES also matched the Konami style, it just looks and plays like a Konami game. The palates, the synth, the musical composition, the controls, they all just screamed Konami, who had a strong company style back then on the NES/SNES (when they could do nearly no wrong and I was a raving Konami fanboy for it).

Was there any relationship between NCS, Konami and Masaya? People in common? Anyone have any idea?

looked into on wikipedia and couldn't find no relation except for konami being publishers. I did find out that Cybernator (AVS) is the sequel to Target Earth which was released on the sega genesis :eek:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Earth_(video_game)
And that there was a remake of Cybernator released on PS2 but only in japan

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I think we are confusing the term underrated with under-appreciated here.

Also, saying it is the most underrated OST of all time is a strong statement...

gfdoom said:
And that there was a remake of Cybernator released on PS2 but only in japan
Us PAL people got it as Assault Suits Valken. It was a shitty remake. They fucked with the control scheme and it played like ass.

From the very first time I played this game on a friend's snes, I fell in love with it and it's music. It's one of my top 10 games.

lol mikanko looks like your image host changed your gif into a single image, huge city!

mikanko said:
More people need to play Assault Suit Leynos 2.

QFT, the games hard as hell and I can't understand a damn word of Japanese, but it's really fun, one of the best games on the Saturn imo.

Also, holy hell @ your avatar :lol

Do want Leynos 2, but fucking hell at your avatar! :lol

But Valken and Metal Warriors for the SNES had fucking awesome soundtracks. Two of my favorite games from that generation.

41XYTX8X0ML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

16 MEGS OF AWESOME!!!

batbeg

mikanko said:

211px × 9792px (scaled to 90px × 4177px)

Awesome. I like your style, bub.

I'd never even heard of this game, but holy hell is Beyond the Top ever an awesome song.

Dizzy-4U

batbeg said:
211px × 9792px (scaled to 90px × 4177px)

Awesome. I like your style, bub.

I'd never even heard of this game, but holy hell is Beyond the Top ever an awesome song.
To his defense, his avatar was fine a few hours ago. The image host fucked up the gif.

Back to cybernator, I remember it was the first snes game I ever saw. I was blown away by the graphics and stood like 30 minutes outside the store watching the game running.

LiK

MarkMacD said:
Game is underrated in many ways. Never got the sequel(s) it deserved...

indeed, i loved this game so much. i was disappointed that no sequels were ever made too.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You know, I always wondered, is the fact that Cybernator and Metal Warriors are so similar, a weird coincidence?

I mean they were developed by entirely different people, but the gameplay and stuff is so similar.

Datschge

Front Mission: Gun Hazard uses a similar style as well (and also has a very underrated soundtrack considering who was involved).

mikanko said:

That sequel fucking sucked. I am a huge NCS/Masaya ASL1/Target Earth and ASV/Cybernator fan from when they actually released. Terrible shit. Stick to ASL1 and ASV.

theultimo

But, but YS Book I and II!

Otherwise, Cybernator is awesome, but I did like Target Earth better. Still, the Leynos series has better Gundam games then Gundam proper.

Top Bottom