• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Gaiden: 4 Warriors of Light (DS) official site opens (now with VIDEO!!)

Aeana

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/hikarino4sensi/

Producer: Tomoya Asano (FF3 DS, FF4 DS, Fullmetal Alchemist series)
Character design and art director: Akihiko Yoshida (Ogre Battle saga, FFT, FF12, FF3 DS)
Sound director: Tomohiro Kamiya (FF3 DS, FF4 DS)
Developer: Matrix (DQ5 PS2, FF3 DS, FF4 DS, FF4 The After Years)
Director: Takashi Tokita (FF4, Chrono Trigger, Live-a-Live, Parasite Eve, FF4 The After Years, Half-boiled Hero series)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Takashi Tokita and Matrix have really gotten along, huh? First FFIV, then FFIV:TAY, now this.

I like all the snippets of art on the site, but I'm disappointed there's no trailer. Isn't it due out by the end of the year (or "fall" to be specific)?

LaneDS

I dig the music infused with chiptunes, pretty neat. Hope that is featured more prominently in the actual game.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Well, it certainly has awesome art.

I wish Square would attempt to do a game entirely in that style using techniques similar to Valkyria Chronicles (or FFT PSP's cutscenes).

ethelred

I'm totally jazzed about Takashi Tokita (the director of Live-a-Live, Parasite Eve, FF4 DS, and co-director of Chrono Trigger) being the director on this. He's a really talented developer who hasn't gotten the chance to do much development in recent years; it's great to have him making games again after his Bouncer exile.

Aside from that, the game seems very promising to me from its premise -- the idea of a new retro-styled Final Fantasy game. Knowing that it has a good director and a good development team behind the concept is just more reassuring. Looking forward to learning more.

Teppic

I like the music.

There's not much more to say about the game, it has no real information :) Hopefully it's a turn based RPG.

KTallguy

Banned
ethelred said:
I'm totally jazzed about Takashi Tokita (the director of Live-a-Live, Parasite Eve, FF4 DS, and co-director of Chrono Trigger) being the director on this. He's a really talented developer who hasn't gotten the chance to do much development in recent years; it's great to have him making games again after his Bouncer exile.

Aside from that, the game seems very promising to me from its premise -- the idea of a new retro-styled Final Fantasy game. Knowing that it has a good director and a good development team behind the concept is just more reassuring. Looking forward to learning more.

Consider my interest Piqued.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
That's who I thought too. I have a sneaking suspicion it will be either Mizuta or Tanioka (unless she is busy with the FFCC on Wii).

MoxManiac said:
Not sure if want
mad.gif

Link1110

By "sound director" do they mean composer? I would've bet on Kenji Ito having composed this, that song sounds alot like his work on the original GB.

Aeana

Link1110 said:
By "sound director" do they mean composer? I would've bet on Kenji Ito having composed this, that song sounds alot like his work on the original GB.
The sound director is often a separate position from composer. They didn't say 'composer' so I'm assuming that the music is actually composed by someone else.

i'm not sure i can stomach ds graphics much longer. devil summoner is thankfully brilliant enough to make up for it, but my intolerance for lo-res muddy anti-aliased fonts, stipple alpha, and chunky pixel smears sans detail are gonna push me out of the ds rpg market altogether.

duckroll

A little bit more excited since Tokita is involved. Still not really sure about this though. I wish there was a trailer.

Grampasso

Told you that the music would change *_* And it's hands down the best arranged main theme among the other FF games available on the DS until now. Too bad no screens on the site :°
Aeana said:
On the spec page, it says players: 1 (1~4). I wonder what that's all about.
I think (actually hope...) they'll steal MP component from DQIX

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Link1110 said:
Sound director just means the engineer who encodes the compositions into the game, they also often work with the composer to get the best sound "image" in the game. An easy example would be Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter; composed by Sakimoto but the sound director was Mitsuda.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yoshida!

The graphics I've seen were not as nice as past FF DS games though, it's like they tried to imitate the art style but it came out looking flat. We'll see.

Too bad I'll never get to play it.

Link1110

duckroll said:
A little bit more excited since Tokita is involved. Still not really sure about this though. I wish there was a trailer.
The only worry I have is that they might do an ATB system like FF4's, which was the worst executed one ever. Except for that, it should be great. FF3 and Wind of Nostalgio have already proven that Matrix can make a great game.

Forkball

So is this a spin off of Final Fantasy I or just the series as a whole? Looks good, but I wonder what their going to do differently.

Aeana

Forkball said:
So is this a spin off of Final Fantasy I or just the series as a whole? Looks good, but I wonder what their going to do differently.
The game's name (4 Warriors of Light: Final Fantasy Gaiden) is very similar to Seiken Densetsu (Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden). It looks like a spin-off of the series as a whole, just like that was.

Link1110

Forkball said:
Final Fantasy Gaiden doesn't necessarily mean FF1. Seiken Densetsu 1 had FF Gaiden in the title, and it was just a series spinoff (at the very least because FF1 didn't have chocobos.)

Firestorm

Awesome music, but probably going to be fugly DS 3D like the other FF DS games. Would be nice if they got some sprites in instead.

Knew when I saw the scans that it would be Matrix. Glad to see they weren't pushed into more remakes, as much as I loved IV.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Firestorm said:
Awesome music, but probably going to be fugly DS 3D like the other FF DS games. Would be nice if they got some sprites in instead.

The models look worse than the ones on the FF remakes.

They also remind me of FFT's sprites, for some reason.

Deku

Banned
speedpop said:
That's who I thought too. I have a sneaking suspicion it will be either Mizuta or Tanioka (unless she is busy with the FFCC on Wii).

Tanioka is not credited on Crystal Bearers

Top Bottom