• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario game geneaology in picture form (with mistakes, let's see your nerdrage)

DogWelder

So I decided to do something crazy. Instead of writing an article, I thought it would be fun to do an infographic. This infographic takes a look at the Mario series by Nintendo, going through the beginning games that inspired the series and what spawned from there. Altogether there are over 130 Mario games included in a family line that spans almost 30 years. Needless to say, Nintendo has been busy in the baby makin' business (and I'm not just talking about Super Mario World 2). Anyways, enjoy the infographic.

(picture)

EDIT: I see some people are wondering why I chose to make subsequent Mario series out to be siblings instead of descendants. For one, I wanted to portray the "first" game in the series as the father of all later versions of the game in the series. Second, if I had done it all as descendants instead, you'd be looking at a much, much bigger graphic that wouldn't be nearly as easy to follow. "Traditional" family line or not, it's a video game series people, not the lineage of a royal family.
Pic: http://imgur.com/TwOHA.jpg

Source: http://limitbreak.gameriot.com/blogs/Caveat-Emptor/Mario-Family-Line

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Its hard to name just single things wrong, the whole thing really has to be redone. So many errors.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Divvy said:
They couldn't have made the text any harder to read could they?
Yeah, as huge as the image is, what a shitty, tiny font.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Here is the kirby Family Genealogy as told by me:

kirby-3.png

Any comment, complaints, suggestions of other gaming series that influenced kirby spin offs?

Its a bit funny how Squeak Squad turned out to be the most interbred kirby game of them all.

Somnid

Corrections:

Super Mario RPG -> Paper Mario series -> Mario and Luigi Series

Mario and Luigi are vertical connections not horizontal

All Wario games stem from Mario Land 2, and you're missing Asobu! Made in Ore

Mario Party is vertically connectioned not horizontally

I couldn't find Super Mario All-Stars + World which wold be a child to both Super Mario World and All Stars.

The whole Advance Series is dual geneology from the base game plus the previous in the Advance series. You might have to lay it out so that you can jump connections.

Game and Watch Gallery uses vertical not horizontal connections

New Super Mario Bros is more of an off shoot of Super Mario 64.

Super Mario 64 DS stems from Super Mario 64 not Sunshine

You decided to do the whole Yoshi and Wario series but forgot the entire Donkey Kong series.

There's a whole lot more but that's what stuck out, you should probably start over but I rather like the idea of it laid of like that. Also, take more care that numbered sequel are vertical not horizontal ties. Also make it a PNG or something next time.

Luigison

The text is too small and badly compressed, but if you guys can't recognize 90% of these from the box art alone that's sad.

If I still had my NES and SNES boxes I'd give this a shot with actual boxes/cases.

Afrodium

Banned
It goes right from Super Mario World to Super Mario 64. Super Mario World 2 is counted as a branch from the Yoshi puzzle game.

Does Punch Out or Tennis for NES count? Mario is the ref in both games. Which makes it equal to Donkey Kong Jr. in that he's unplayable.
The Smash Bros. series is also missing which would fit as well as the DDR game.

STG!

Afrodium said:
It goes right from Super Mario World to Super Mario 64. Super Mario World 2 is counted as a branch from the Yoshi puzzle game.

No, this should have branched off of SMW directly, not off of Yoshi.

STG!

Afrodium said:
That's what I'm saying. The pic in the OP has SMW2 coming off of Yoshi instead of directly from SMW.

Oh sorry, that didn't seem implied by your original post. But I agree. :)

ChiboSempai

Neo Member
Just because Mario&Luigi and Paper Mario are also RPGs doesn't mean they branch off Mario RPG. However whether or not something should be branched is something that needs to be determined. Because Paper Mario has been told to be a spiritual successor to Mario RPG. Not to mention when Mario RPG2 was originally being developed, and eventually scrapped, what was made of the project was turned into Paper Mario.

Mario Sunshine to New Mario really doesn't make much sense

Mario Karts should really be descendants imo

Why isn't Super Paper Mario stemmed from Paper Mario 2?

Especially being #'d Mario Parties should be stemmed from each other

Mario 64 DS should be offspring of Mario 64

Mario n Luigi 3 be stemmed off of 2

Uhg so confusing. Nothing makes sense :facepalm:

justchris

Drkirby said:
Here is the kirby Family Genealogy as told by me:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l133/Drkirby/Random/kirby-3.png

Any comment, complaints, suggestions of other gaming series that influenced kirby spin offs?

Its a bit funny how Squeak Squad turned out to be the most interbred kirby game of them all.

I have to say I love the immaculate conception of Dream Land -> Dream Land 2 & Adventure, then the mating with Pinball for a whole other family line of bastards and cousins.

I really like this metaphor.

Top Bottom