• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)

Roland

Error said:
very in-depth.
Uh... they also have the scan over there.

Anyways, what made me love Devil Survivor was how they made fusions so much easier. Being able to pick and choose which abilities to inherit meant I spent more time playing the game rather than resetting over and over during fusions. I hope this game also uses a similar weaksauce fusion.

Varna

This is the best gaming related news I have heard in... forever. Wow. How awesome would it be if this game was out before the end of the year (Yeah, not fucken likely, but I can DREAM).

duckroll

Varna said:
This is the best gaming related news I have heard in... forever. Wow. How awesome would it be if this game was out before the end of the year (Yeah, not fucken likely, but I can DREAM).

I'll be playing it in less than 3 months. How awesome is that? So awesome.

duckroll

The screens make it very obvious this game is not a single dungeon crawler like EO or anything like that. It's a real SMT game filled with different locations and dungeons, just that most locations are dungeons which can will kill you, all exploration is done in first person. :)

MechaX

Hm.. Now that I think of it, a lot of the first person SMT dungeons were among the most evil dungeons I have ever faced in any RPG.

Hopefully, Strange Journey will not go so far off the deep end to try to top Neutral Path Cathedral in SMT 1.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
duckroll said:
I'll be playing it in less than 3 months. How awesome is that? So awesome.
2akbjh4.png

duckroll said:
Well, whether it's a "spin off" or not is not really important for SMT. The reason is that, unlike in the US where Atlus spams "SMT" on every fucking title they release, in Japan SMT is only used in the title when it's a game which plays like what people expect from a SMT game, and carries all the expectations of a "SMT game". Aside from SMT NINE (Xbox) and SMT Imagine (MMO) which weren't even developed by Atlus, there are only 4 SMT games ever: SMT, SMT2, SMT if and SMT3. This will be the 5th official SMT game, and it comes 5 years after SMT3 Maniax was released in Japan. Looooong time coming.
Well this answers my question. Color me intrigued.

One of these days I'll finally get around to Nocturne...

This announcement made me realize:

We all know that every system has great games.

But the DS: Oh my... the DS is on a different league by now. Sure, it doesn't have the same kind of power as the PSP, but it doesn't need it... just look at the games. The gaming library.

Tons of platformers, RPG's, strategy games, more RPG's, Nintendo first party games, unique and original games (thanks to the dual screen and touchscreen), unique non-gaming apps (Korg-DS, Jam Sessions, the Cooking app, etc), tons of Japanese games, point and click adventures, puzzles...

The DS will be remembered as one of the best handhelds ever, and in my opinion, it already has a better library than the Gameboy, Gameboy, PSP, etc...

Teknoman

Producer/Original Concept/Character and Devil Design: KANEKO THE DEVIL PAINTER

Director: Eiji Ishida (Chief Designer for SMT3/Raidou/Raidou2)

Scenario: Shogo Isogai (SMT2/SMTif/DevilSummoner/SoulHackers/SMT3/Raidou/Trauma series)

Composer: MEGURO THE COMPOSER OF GOODNESS

34ex829.png

Damn this is going to be one awesome game.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Viewtiful Joe, read the OP, and edit your post ASAP.

This game looks incredibly awesome. But I'm not sure what to take of the whole 300+ demons thing. Will there be any incentive whatsoever to get them all (other than OCD)? Nocturne had the least amount of demons out of all the recent SMT games -- and I felt that the number was just right. By Persona 4, it hardly mattered what personae you used. If you needed a fire resistant persona at any point in the game, you had a good dozen to choose from that'd be suitable to your level. There was no point in collecting them all.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Well, Margaret lower the prices in the compendium depending on how many personas you've collected. So collecting personas was rewarded in a way.

Teknoman

ProudClod said:

This game looks incredibly awesome. But I'm not sure what to take of the whole 300+ demons thing. Will there be any incentive whatsoever to get them all (other than OCD)? Nocturne had the least amount of demons out of all the recent SMT games -- and I felt that the number was just right. By Persona 4, it hardly mattered what personae you used. If you needed a fire resistant persona at any point in the game, you had a good dozen to choose from that'd be suitable to your level. There was no point in collecting them all.

Well he's praising the DS, so I dont think that's what Duck was talking about. Probably talking about the people who would pop in just to whine about the game coming out on the DS.

Anyway, as for the huge number of demons, in every SMT game, I usually just go with whatever I like, instead of trying to nab all of em. Makes the game alot more interesting, beating up demons with your favorite demons. Of course some of those may end up being pretty powerful.

EDIT: Press turn is back? Nice.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm excited for everything

But confused as hell about the "First person" part. Does this mean it's going be similar to Daggerfall or something alone those lines?

Error

shintoki said:
I'm excited for everything

But confused as hell about the "First person" part. Does this mean it's going be similar to Daggerfall or something alone those lines?
It's like old-school megaten. think EO first person exploration/combat.

duckroll

Press turn isn't really back. It seems they have a different system here called Devil Co-op. When you hit the weakness of an enemy, it appears a combo attack with your demon(s?) can trigger. Details are not provided in the article at the moment, but they do show two screens featuring this system.

ethelred

ProudClod said:
But I'm not sure what to take of the whole 300+ demons thing. Will there be any incentive whatsoever to get them all (other than OCD)? Nocturne had the least amount of demons out of all the recent SMT games -- and I felt that the number was just right. By Persona 4, it hardly mattered what personae you used.

The difference between Shin Megami Tensei and Persona is that in Shin Megami Tensei the demons aren't just your allies, they're also your enemies. In the recent Personae, you fight kinda generic constantly palette-swapped enemies; in Nocturne, you fight the same creatures that you can recruit to your side. So 300 demons doesn't just mean 300 allies, it means a huge number of enemies as well, which means a lot more variety in the combat and in each particular dungeon.

ProudClod said:

I did read the OP, but just as Teknoman said, I think the OP was refering to people complaining about the game being on the DS. Just to be sure, I edited my comment.

KWA223

Banned
I always wondered what SMT would be like in space. I guess I'll get my answer.

It's just a shame Press Turn isn't in, it's one of my favorite battle systems :(

duckroll

Viewtiful Joe said:
I did read the OP, but just as Teknoman said, I think the OP was refering to people complaining about the game being on the DS. Just to be sure, I edited my comment.

Just to be clear, I'll rather people just talk about the game in here. We don't need any system ass-kissing or dick-sucking here.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Viewtiful Joe said:

Hahaha, sorry for the paranoia. I've lurked long enough to have seen juniors banned for lesser crimes :p

Also, I agree with using whatever demon/persona you want, but I can be somewhat of a completion whore in games, and I feel terrible whenever I look at my pitiful compendiums in P4, FES, and DS4

shintoki said:
I really don't know if I dig it or not. But I guess something new for me can't be bad. So be nice to try one of these for the first time :lol
I'm kind of with you. The more I see about this game, the less interested I'm becoming. It's shocking, really.

One of the Gamestops near me has a gutted and maybe even boxless new EO2 for mad cheap, though, so maybe I should jump into that to see if this is something I can get into.

Now if it was first-person dungeon crawling with social links, THEN we'd be talking!

KWA223

Banned
Error said:
Persona 4's upgraded One More!! battle system is better than Press Turn.
Only problem is if the enemy is down and you attack it's weakness again you won't get another turn.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
KWA223 said:
Only problem is if the enemy is down and you attack it's weakness again you won't get another turn.

But it allows you to take out huge mobs of enemies without wasting a single turn. Press turn adds a strategic element, but it can be slightly annoying when you're facing several enemies.

Xelinis

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, WAIT.

Let me get this straight. This is a main entry in the core series, yes?

If so, FUCK YES

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Xelinis said:
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, WAIT.

Let me get this straight. This is a main entry in the core series, yes?

If so, FUCK YES

Don't think it is.

The core series is numbered. SMT I, SMT II, SMT III.

zoku88

I wonder why they just don't call this SMT4.

Looks like something that would be SMT4. (I guess, unless you play as more than one human, maybe.)

KWA223

Banned
ProudClod said:
But it allows you to take out huge mobs of enemies without wasting a single turn. Press turn adds a strategic element, but it can be slightly annoying when you're facing several enemies.
One more! was great for mobs but sometimes you'd fight enemies without weaknesses along with ones that do, making an all out attack impossible. With press turn you hammer on the weak ones and still have turns left for the others.

I love them both though.

kuYuri

Damn, duckroll laying down the law. :eek:

So... Devil Survivor wasn't a mainline SMT game? Shows how much I know about the series. :p

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
zoku88 said:
I wonder why they just don't call this SMT4.

Looks like something that would be SMT4. (I guess, unless you play as more than one human, maybe.)

I don't have a clue either. One reason could be that SMT4 is in development as a completely separate title.

But yes, this game totally sounds like a core SMT. *drool*

I AM JOHN! said:
If... is my lucky number! :p

If was a spinoff though. So were SMT: Devil Summoner and SMT: Nine.

Strider2K99 said:
Damn, duckroll laying down the law. :eek:

So... Devil Survivor wasn't a mainline SMT game? Shows how much I know about the series. :p

Nope. Devil Survivor was Megami Ibunroku in Japan. It was redubbed Shin Megami Tensei in North America for marketing purposes.

Teknoman said:
Could just be an actually series they will focus on, like Devil Summoner, Digital Devil Saga, or Persona.
Duckroll already jumped on that back on the first page - it's apparently not like it is in Fortress of Amerikkka where they use the Shin Megami Tensei name as a moniker for this overarching series with the same core ideals, mechanics and lore. If they put the SMT name on it, it means shit just got real. It's possible that this isn't SMT4 and is just another subseries, but yeah, the SMT name's gotta account for something.
ProudClod said:
If was a spinoff though. So were SMT: Devil Summoner and SMT: Nine.
Yeah I know, I was just being a jerk. :D

hampig

Hmm... looks interesting. I'm playing through Nocturne and Devil Survivor atm, and I am loooooving both. No doubt this one will be yet another great game.

Zhuk

Banned
This sounds great, I just bought a DS and I am amazed by the quality of its software library, I really didn't know what I was missing out on, I bet on the wrong handheld horse when I bought the PSP at launch.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
duckroll said:
It's not SMT4. But that doesn't mean it won't play like a SMT game. Which in the end, is all that matters right?

Absolutely :D

Damnit, why am I not leaving for Japan for another 13 months? :(

Error

how can you be turn off by this awesomeness?

SMT main series is all about cyberpunk, tons of mythological creatures, dungeon crawling, creepy and surreal atmosphere, hard rock/metal inspired soundtrack etc.. etc..

Persona should fuck off and take a rest for awhile (yes, I enjoyed P3/4 but come on...)

remz

^Yeah, Persona was great and all but Nocturne was the shit

First person dungeons? 300 demons? fuck awesome staff?

Count me in!!! all aboard the hype train!!!

Top Bottom