• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should we boycott Shadow Complex?

Coins

Banned
Shadow Complex is a 360 Live game that was released to VERY good reviews this week. Its a Metroid Style game brought up to speed with this generations graphics.

However, its set in an Orson Scott Card's world he wrote. Now he has self admitted he didnt have much to do with this game, but, he will be getting profits for the game

Now why should we boycott it? Card is a notorious homophobe.

The first and greatest threat from court decisions in California and Massachusetts, giving legal recognition to "gay marriage," is that it marks the end of democracy in America.

Already in several states, there are textbooks for children in the earliest grades that show "gay marriages" as normal. How long do you think it will be before such textbooks become mandatory -- and parents have no way to opt out of having their children taught from them?

Remember how rapidly gay marriage has become a requirement. When gay rights were being enforced by the courts back in the '70s and '80s, we were repeatedly told by all the proponents of gay rights that they would never attempt to legalize gay marriage.

It took about 15 minutes for that promise to be broken.

But there can be no serious question that homosexuality, to the degree that it cannot be overcome or outlasted, is a reproductive dysfunction. A human body that has evolved with functional organs of sexual reproduction is redirected to sexual activities that are reproductive dead ends.

Crazy Rants from Card

More Crazy Rants from Card

Should we buy this game?

Gaygamer article on this.

I still don't have an answer for myself. I think if you're obviously too disgusted to enjoy the game, avoid it, and speak out. However, if you want to play the game, play it. Enjoy it, but offset the hate: if you buy Shadow Complex, donate $5, $10, $15 if you can spare it to a gay charity. Let them know why you're giving the money. Card won't get nearly that much per game. In message boards or user reviews, in blogs or tweets, if it comes up, let people know exactly what Card has said on the matter, and where, and damn him with his own language.

Money is important, but far more important to him, and to history, is his legacy. You can tell from his reactions how much being called a homophobe rankles him. Increasingly and through his own work, the line on Orson Scott Card has moved away from "respected science fiction author" to "kind of insane about this whole gay thing." As his views become more and more fringe, and we continue to gain the rights he's fighting against, he'll retreat further into a conservative ghetto. At that point the country will either persist as it has for hundreds of years, or Card will be right, we'll lose our reproductive imperative, and civilization will be over. If that happens, I'll owe him a coke. Caffeine-free, of course.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Do you realize how many people's livelihood and hard work went into this game? Many people who I'm sure are fine people. Dude, please.

I'm not boycotting it because of OSC, I'm boycotting it because my 360 harddrive is out of space and I have 1100 points.

But not giving OSC money is a nice side benefit.

If you honestly care that much to go against something you want to enjoy, i guess that's up to you. But i really don't think it's necessary to make this thread. And i agree with the first reply - you're going to take away many people's hard work and dedication over one developer's views? Why don't you boycott everything else in this world, I'm sure there's atleast one anti-Gay advocate in every company.

Coins

Banned
SoulPlaya said:
Do you realize how many people's livelihood and hard work went into this game? Many people who I'm sure are fine people. Dude, please.

Do you realize how much pull Card had as a very vocal Mormon and helped the gay marriage vote that was recently done in California go the way it did, thus ensuring more people were denied rights to marry than the amount of people that worked on this game.

I'd say it's pretty possible that there a one or two more homophobes in the gaming industry. *Gasp* There might be one working on a game you're anticipating right now! Oh noes!

Get a grip.

I'm not condoning his belief but boycotting Shadow Complex because of this? isn't there an online petition somewhere that you could be signing?

lol gayest thing ive ever read. who cares - the game looks amazing - who cares that someone who didnt have much to do with it is opposed to homosexuality. the fact you made this thread makes the issue look even worse.

Wow, I had no idea that POS Card was attached to this. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, this will prevent me from buying. I was looking forward to this one, but I'll spend my points elsewhere.

Coins said:
Do you realize how much pull Card had as a very vocal Mormon and helped the gay marriage vote that was recently done in California go the way it did, thus ensuring more people were denied rights to marry than the amount of people that worked on this game.
What does Gay marriage have to do with this video game? Just cause the guy had a part in it? Give me a break.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
nope, buy the game (it's great) but feel free to point out how stupid the story is...

TheExodu5

Banned
Those are his views. Just because he doesn't share the same views on gay marriages as I do, does not mean he does not deserve to earn a living. He's not making his money off Shadow Complex for his anti gay-marriage stance.

Coins

Banned
Mercury Fred said:
Wow, I had no idea that POS Card was attached to this. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, this will prevent me from buying. I was looking forward to this one, but I'll spend my points elsewhere.

Thanks. One person not spending money on this makes my post worthwhile.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
FromTheFuture said:
What does Gay marriage have to do with this video game? Just cause the guy had a part in it? Give me a break.

it makes sense to not want to give your money to scummy people, even if the money isn't for a scummy thing.

For what it's worth, I bought Shadow Complex, but I bought the books of his that I've read second-hand to avoid giving him any money.

Takao

Banned
One person out of a bunch of people who developed a game isn't a reason to boycott. Heck, doesn't the man who composes the score for Dragon Quest games still thinks in the way that some Japanese did durring WW2? I'm not boycotting Dragon Quest because of him.

Also- I clicked on this thread and got banner ads for some all gay cruise...

Coins said:

You should demand in writing from every piece of entertainment you are considering a purchase of, the complete and full voting record and political views of everyone who worked on the game in order to only play ideologically pure products.

Even if you are against prop 8 this is literally McCarthyite bullshit. Take this shit to OT.

TheExodu5 said:
Those are his views. Just because he doesn't share the same views on gay marriages as I do, does not mean he does not deserve to earn a living. He's not making his money off Shadow Complex for his anti gay-marriage stance.
Some of us don't want to give money to someone who will use that money to strip other people of civil rights.

atbigelow

BREAKING NEWS: Dude doesn't like some other dudes. Time to boycott the game he didn't make, thus throwing away all the hard work from the people who did make it!

TheExodu5 said:
He kind of is.

Shadow Complex exists as part of his Empire series - and was originally approached by Chair to create a video game version of his novel - which involves liberals and good, god fearing conservatives going to civil war over things like gay marriage. As you can imagine, the book does not describe homosexuals, democrats, or any gay marriage proponents nicely.

scitek

I think we should boycott Adam Sessler's claim this game is a "paradigm shift" in gaming. It's nothing even fucking new. Give me a break.

Stumpokapow said:
it makes sense to not want to give your money to scummy people, even if the money isn't for a scummy thing.

For what it's worth, I bought Shadow Complex, but I bought the books of his that I've read second-hand to avoid giving him any money.
Sure, why not, i can understand. Read my post above. Also, i support Gay rights/marriage but i don't see how a small difference in view/opinion makes someone scummy and not deserving of being rewarded for his hard work. It's not like he made Shadow Complex to be an anti-Gay statement or something. This is his job, this is what he does to live and it has no correlation to his stance on Gay rights.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Coins said:
You remind me a bit of Uncle Leo from Seinfeld.

Coins

Banned
People saying his views do not have anything to do with the game are wrong. He is a VERY active homophobe and spends money towards anti-gay measures such as keeping gay marriage illegal. He also is a proponent of heterosexual marriage only adoption. You dont think they money he earns (no matter how small) will go towards such campaigns?

Anyway, the article also said if you want to buy the game, buy it! Just donate a small amount to a gay friendly cause.

duckroll

The world was not created by Orson Scott Card, it was created by Chair Entertainment. He is simply the author they are working with to create novels set in that world. Please do better research before starting stupid threads like this in future.

duckroll

Discussed this with Dragona, I'm reopening the thread for discussion, but I'll like to state that the discussion should be corrected to indicate the actual background of the "Empire" series and it's origins. As well as Chair Entertainment's relationship with Card and how it reflects on their ideology.

TheExodu5

Banned
FromTheFuture said:
Sure, why not, i can understand. Read my post above. Also, i support Gay rights/marriage but i don't see how a small difference in view/opinion makes someone scummy and not deserving of being rewarded for his hard work. It's not like he made Shadow Complex to be an anti-Gay statement or something. This is his job, this is what he does to live and it has no correlation to his stance on Gay rights.

Pretty much.

And as much as I disagree with their viewpoint, the anti-gay marriage lobbyists do have a right to campaign. You live in a democratic country, better get used to it.

(note: I'm in Canada, so this doesn't really effect me regardless)

While I realise that Card wrote the novels because Chair Entertainment asked him to, I personally am not going to be purchasing Shadow Complex. If I knew that the person I licenced my world to in order to have him write novels for me essentially funded Prop 8, I'd be hightailing it out of there and cutting any ties with him.

Aaron

Cat in the Hat said:
Ty Cobb was a one of the best Baseball players ever

He was also a huge racist and a asshole.

He is in the Hall of Fame.

It doesn't matter.
I love that song. :D

I doubt it reflects Chair's ideology at all. While they probably were not unaware of Chair's views and rants, but he is also a popular author among a certain set of people.

If I knew, for example, a klan member was working on a game, I probably wouldn't buy it. But that's just me, not everyone has those same principles.

Top Bottom