• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 Hype Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermit7

Sounds interesting as they didn't talk about it ever and the only thing they said was more information would be released later. Overall it may be for the better, as the driving was the worst aspect of the first.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Wiggum2007 said:
Mineral scanning, etc. takes place from orbit, while the dropship drops you directly at the sidequest location on the planet.
I like this better than having Joker drop me off in the alien Himalayas...

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
DY_nasty said:
I like this better than having Joker drop me off in the alien Himalayas...

Yup - I'm never that into driving in a game that's not built for it unless the driving segments are really well designed and ultimately fun (which is never really the case except in a very few exceptions).

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Meus Renaissance said:
Two months ago I hypothesised that Shepard was/would be a clone or some kind of hyrid between man and machine.

In case you don't care about teh spoilerz,
This has already been confirmed to some extent, though we're not sure about what exactly this Shepard is.

According to the OXM review, there is no Mako/Mako equivalent vehicle, just the Kodiak dropship which drops you off at side mission locations. Someone on the Bioware forums posted a scan of the magazine page that includes this info, so it's definitely real.

Odd, as one of the trailers, I think it's the VA reveal, shows the team getting out of what looks to be like a "hover" mako, though that could be the dropship...hmm.

The Lamonster said:
I really can't wait another three weeks for this game :(

go-god-go-part-2-20061102015236763.jpg

hmmmm...

sovereign is about to land on frozen cartman

Shit, I called it SEVEN MONTHS AGO

Read my post on BioWare's forums

The debut trailer showed him to be dead and the E3 trailer shows a clip from Mass Effect 2 where an Asari is surprised to see him (Shepard! I thought you were dead), yet he clearly is alive. In the interviews ascertaining to this question, the developers were reluctant to go into - neither addressing the question of his supposed dead and the fact that he is a playable character in the game.

In the Collectors Edition of Mass Effect, there are some video documentaries showing the development of the game and also future ideas for the franchise. One point a developer made in the game is talk about the ethical implications for where humans combined themselves with Synthetics. I am paraphrasing here but he rhetorically stated "What is it truly to be alive? Do you have to be organic or can you be synthetic?"

Perhaps Shepard does die naturally at some point in the game, but they do something to his body. Maybe clone him or give him synthetic implants? This would fit into BioWare's goals to push the debate of where life begins and ends.

Opinions?

UPDATE: BioWare employee locks my thread there after I bumped it :lol

Wiggum2007

Metroidvania said:
Odd, as one of the trailers, I think it's the VA reveal, shows the team getting out of what looks to be like a "hover" mako, though that could be the dropship...hmm.

Yup that's the dropship, there is a picture of it in the review. Interesting that the new Mako would be cut though, just because it seemed like not that long ago they were still dropping hints about it.

Dennis

Banned
The Lamonster said:
I really can't wait another three weeks for this game :(

go-god-go-part-2-20061102015236763.jpg

hmmmm...
Haha, yeah that sums it up nicely, its going to be three looooong weeks.

Good to see it getting a 9.5, and about their gripe about the story: never did take a gaming magazines assessment of a games story seriously.

Nab

There still seems to be some confusion over the vehicle issue, as it wasn't long ago Casey was talking about strafing and vehicular combat you could control.

Maybe the reviewer got it wrong, or was too vague. Maybe the vehicle control only comes into play on main quest worlds. Or maybe Bioware cut it at a really late stage and they're dumb and didn't tell anyone about it. Who knows.

Nab said:
There still seems to be some confusion over the vehicle issue, as it wasn't long ago Casey was talking about strafing and vehicular combat you could control.

Maybe the reviewer got it wrong, or was too vague. Maybe the vehicle control only comes into play on main quest worlds. Or maybe Bioware cut it at a really late stage and they're dumb and didn't tell anyone about it. Who knows.
Agreed. We need to get to the bottom of this.

I'll be disappointed if I can't explore uncharted planets with a vehicle.

Dennis

Banned
Sir Fragula said:
Hype has fallen of a cliff with that picture. How stupid does he look?
True that Zombie-Shepard looks like a douche-lord, but wasn't the whole scarring thing optional and only for Renegade players (I am a Paragon of virtue).

Scarring? I'm a little confused here. I read a spoiler which states that
John dies at the very beginning of the game, and they in effect turn him into a Cyborg of some kind.

Wiggum2007

The scars will get worse for characters that choose Renegade options, but the devs have stated that there will be a research sidequest pretty early on in which you will be able to completely remove them.

Walshicus

Wiggum2007 said:
The scars will get worse for characters that choose Renegade options, but the devs have stated that there will be a research sidequest pretty early on in which you will be able to completely remove them.
Perhaps. I'm still particularly unimpressed by the "we can rebuild him" elements of the plot unveiled.

ACE 1991

Wiggum2007 said:
Mineral scanning, etc. takes place from orbit, while the dropship drops you directly at the sidequest location on the planet.

And it got a 9.5

To elaborate on the bit about the main story being disappointing, the reviewer talks about how the "main quest is a slow burn that takes awhile to pick up steam", but the best parts of the game are side missions and conversations involved in gaining the loyalty of your squad members, and these individual stories are very engaging.

They also mention that uncovering the mystery of the Collectors and Reapers is 'irresistible', but (super vague bit about final boss, spoiled for the hypersensitive)
"the final boss seems like it belongs in an entirely different universe".
Whatever that means.

That is disappointing. Going from Dragon Age, which had an incredible man story, to an (apparently) lesser story is a bit of a bummer.

hermit7

ACE 1991 said:
That is disappointing. Going from Dragon Age, which had an incredible man story, to an (apparently) lesser story is a bit of a bummer.

Well also the boss is going to be completely different than Saren. Considering the known facts about the Collectors
I think it may be a swarm of insects or something like that

Rad-

From OXM review (slightly edited):

Mass Effect 2 overcomes its few gameplay weaknesses with a fantastic weave of dynamic combat, lavish presentation and engaging character and weapon customization. But for all the myriad improvements that make Mass Effect 2's visuals so appealing and its combat so exhilerating, it's ultimately the way it moves us that makes it so memorable. When you have finally done everything, sadness sets in - until you remember that there's at least one more Mass Effect coming.

Kittonwy

Banned
Wiggum2007 said:
According to the OXM review, there is no Mako/Mako equivalent vehicle, just the Kodiak dropship which drops you off at side mission locations. Someone on the Bioware forums posted a scan of the magazine page that includes this info, so it's definitely real.

So the new Mako got scrapped I guess. I was interested to see how they improved on it from ME1, they even talked about the improvements in interviews in such. Oh well, those were definitely the weakest parts of the first game so if anything had to be cut I'd pick that.

Well they cut the worst part of the first game but then they could have just copy HALO's scorpion tank with the exact same controls, the whole point of having a vehicle with a turret is you can just blow the crap out of everything, not the buggy-driving which isn't all that fun.

As for the game I hope the AI is good because non-challenging AI would be a no-go for me. Not like the original ME had an epic story, it's a tad disappointing to read the story isn't as good, it's hard to grind through a game like this without a story and characters worth giving a crap about.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
ACE 1991 said:
If you thought DA had a incredible main story, i somehow doubt ME2 will be that big of a downgrade for you.:p :D

Twig

Banned
Sir Fragula said:
Hype has fallen of a cliff with that picture. How stupid does he look?
Yeah, he looks ridiculous.

But, uh, not ridiculous enough to kill my hype. That's pretty extreme.

Lafiel said:
If you thought DA had a incredible main story, i somehow doubt ME2 will be that big of a downgrade for you.:p :D

Seriously. What was the main story in DA? We have to stop the Blight, let's go convince everyone else to help! The characters' stories are the main attraction in DA, and the same is true of Mass Effect.

Playing through it again now, the main story is cringe-inducing. Honestly I have no interest in the Reapers or the Collectors or whatever the nebulous threat-to-the-galaxy du jour is. The bad guys seemingly have no motivations for what they do - maybe they're just saving the reveal for a future installment, but in the meantime nothing makes any sense.

The characters have always been the most compelling thing, and if ME2 expands the narrative outward by focusing on characters rather than pushing the overarching plot forward it can only be a good thing.

v0yce

The Lamonster said:
I'll be disappointed if I can't explore uncharted planets with a vehicle.

Same. I loved running around in the Mako. I didn't much care for combat with it, as it generally boiled down to me sitting still and firing and then "jumping" incoming missile and what not, which is kind of silly. But as far as driving around moon mountains in a buggy, I thought it was great. Never understood the complaints.

ACE 1991

Meus Renaissance said:
Lets be honest here guys, the Mako was pretty boring and chore-like after a while

I just hated the twitchy-ness of the controls, and the fact that the combat didn't feel satisfying.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
v0yce said:
Same. I loved running around in the Mako. I didn't much care for combat with it, as it generally boiled down to me sitting still and firing and then "jumping" incoming missile and what not, which is kind of silly. But as far as driving around moon mountains in a buggy, I thought it was great. Never understood the complaints.
Yeah I loved just driving. :lol

But there was just one planet, that's bitch had the worst, craggiest terrain, with little relief. Every playthrough, I forget which one it is, and I end up landed there like ffffuuuuuu. All I remember is that it's orbiting a yellow sun, and the mountains are blue with green grass.

VaLiancY

I don't have a problem with the Mako. It's traversing with the terrain I have an issue with.

"Want that rock deposit? Climb up this steep jagged mountain side where you might tumble down"

feel

Meus Renaissance said:
Lets be honest here guys, the Mako was pretty boring and chore-like after a while
It had its problems, but I have some really good memories of doing some extreme offroading in those empty uncharted planets, just for the sake of exploring and enjoying the vistas. I hope that kind of stuff is still in.

The Mako was floaty and limited/boring in combat. On Insane, I would use it out of necessity for transportation only and would always exit it to fight all the giant Geth Destroyers/whatever on foot since it would be way faster/less risky that way even with hazardous environments. As a result, the playthrough on Insanity was probably the LEAST frustrating one for me (aside from the final one I played on easy to mop up achievements.)

Walshicus

Letters said:
It had its problems, but I have some really good memories of doing some extreme offroading in those empty uncharted planets, just for the sake of exploring and enjoying the vistas. I hope that kind of stuff is still in.
Heh, yeah I thought it was nice to... well relax isn't the word, but have a break from the fast paced on-foot sections and just go exploring.

TheFallen

Never liked the Mako. The terrain makes the driving obnoxious and the shooting is barely serviceable. And if I recall, you get more experience fighting on foot. I just got out of it to kill any nearby enemies or turrets.

Dandy

K.Jack said:
Yeah I loved just driving. :lol

But there was just one planet, that's bitch had the worst, craggiest terrain, with little relief. Every playthrough, I forget which one it is, and I end up landed there like ffffuuuuuu. All I remember is that it's orbiting a yellow sun, and the mountains are blue with green grass.
Everybody loves Nodacrux. :lol

Driving the Mako was fun, I wouldn't mind a racing mini game actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom