• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

upandaway said:
Was it that much? Day/night will be added, graphics will be updated, whatever new comes in Gen 5 will be added, and.. that's about it. That's just another Pokemon remake.

I doubt anything that was removed between RS and GSC will make a return in Gen 5, if that's what you're saying. They wouldn't start adding things like radio into the main series just because the remakes had it, so it's not like RS remakes become too different because they didn't have it in the original.

Or maybe I lost you somewhere and I answered something totally different. I'm not thinking straight right now.

I just find it unlikely that they will make it. I mean maybe they will, but the reason why they remade the first 2 gen was because they were pretty dated. RS are part of the same gen as RBG remakes, and I dunno.

It would just come across as a weird decision. It made sense for the first two gens.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Dabookerman said:
I just find it unlikely that they will make it. I mean maybe they will, but the reason why they remade the first 2 gen was because they were pretty dated. RS are part of the same gen as RBG remakes, and I dunno.

It would just come across as a weird decision. It made sense for the first two gens.
HGSS seemed like a weird and stupid decision to me. Now that one remake per generation is a trend, I fully expect them to keep it up.

upandaway

Sixfortyfive said:
HGSS seemed like a weird and stupid decision to me. Now that one remake per generation is a trend, I fully expect them to keep it up.
Now you're just being silly. GSC could use some updates, and besides, most people had their originals' battery die already, so it's the only way of replaying it (you could emulate it, but I mean, it's not the same when you have to sit in front of your computer to play a portable game).

zumphry

Banned
upandaway said:
Now you're just being silly. GSC could use some updates, and besides, most people had their originals' battery die already, so it's the only way of replaying it (you could emulate it, but I mean, it's not the same when you have to sit in front of your computer to play a portable game).

Agreed. Red/Blue/Yellow(talking about American releases), and Gold/Silver/Crystal were pretty buggy, and had to cut a bunch of stuff out(like the Safari Zone in G/S/C). It makes sense to remake the first two generations, not only because of the early fan's love of them, but because(to me), trying to play them now is a chore.

For the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald remakes(I liked them, but I can understand why people wouldn't), and any potential Diamond/Pearl/Platinum(getting too ahead of myself? Yes.), it makes less sense to remake Generation III since right now, you can port them to D/P/Pt and HG/SS, and since they are available now in them, but it might make more sense whenever Nintendo decides to make Pokemon DSi and DS+ only(or whatever is after DSi).

I personally hope they remake each game, eventually(so that future fans, and whenever I have kids) so that new fans can play the games that we played. Plus, I personally think every region got better than the rest(but nostalgia makes me love the first two generations).

Jeeze, I gotta learn how to say things without making them into essays. :lol

Calcaneus

Playing Gold for me was the absolute peak of my Pokemon fandom for me. My brother had lost interest in the gameboy color and let me have it, and the first thing I bought was this game. I remember bringing it to school so I could use my friends gameshark (or something like that) and being amazed at how I could choose literally any pokemon I wanted. Sure it killed the fun, but luckily I beat the game before I did that.

upandaway

So anyone thought of his single player team yet?

I'm thinking of going with my old Bayleef setup (never evolve him), Zubat, Growlithe, Jolteon and then 2 others I find on the way. The problem is that my team ends up fairly slow (save for Crobat) in time for E4, and I've got no good fighting moves I can teach.
Whatever, I guess. I always liked having a really varied team, avoid all trainers, be underleveled and be forced to use my team creatively while sneaking in some experience for whoever I most recently caught that's on a lower level than the rest.

I can't wait for this. Platinum didn't really hook me like Emerald did, I found it way too similar to Diamond/Pearl. I've been dying to play a "new" pokemon game for a while now.

Spring can't come soon enough.

EzLink

Banned
Maaaaaaan can't wait until Serebii gets their hands on these games and has the massive coverage blow out. I remember how fucking excited I was when it happened for Diamond/Pearl. These are games where I don't care about spoilers at all, so bring on the new information!

Also can't wait to hear impressions from all you importing blokes :D

Anth0ny

God damn I can't fucking wait. It's so close now!

And if you've played through GSC as many times as I have, you'll have no problem navigating through the Japanese version of HG/SS :lol

EzLink

Banned
pseudocaesar said:
Im playing through gold on my on Gameboy colour haha. Im picking up a DS for Gold. I love my Cyndaquil!

You're ability to save hasn't been fucked over then, or did you just replace the battery?

I would so replay through Silver again if I could save it

I can't believe that it will be only 2 weeks until nostalgia time! (Still not importing the game, but looking forward to seeing it and especially listening to the music in it.)

I'm still pretty happy that the game Game Freak decided to go all out on was Pokemon Gold and Silver. I feel like that they've announced quite a few new features, yet I feel like the've barely scratched the surface, and it'll almost be a completely new game. I mean, we haven't even seen the new Kanto, and the new Johto already has about as many areas on the map as recent Pokemon games.

Also, as someone who only played Gold/Silver before playing R/S, and someone who likes the single player aspect of the game, I found R/S to be a disappointment. I felt the world was small, I didn't like the missing Pokemon, I didn't like the addition of... I think they'e called abilities (like intimidate), I didn't like the inability to trade from Gold/Silver to the GBA, and something about that game just didn't sit right. Even the remakes of Red/Green felt... weird. Not saying that I don't think those games are great, but compared to the earlier ones, I feel that they were lacking.

Edit: Also, Pokemon Gold os the only game I own that the battery died. Not even the battery in my NES Zelda 1, which is older than me, died.

upandaway

jamesinclair said:
Um, my DC doesnt have an infrared port. My GBC did, so im confused
Assuming you mean DS... the DS doesn't use infrared like the GBC did. It uses local wireless or WiFi to transfer Pokemon.

zumphry

Banned
upandaway said:
So anyone thought of his single player team yet?

I'm thinking of going with my old Bayleef setup (never evolve him)

Thought I was the only one who chose Chikorita. :lol He/She was the first(and last time) I chose a Grass type for a starter besides Treeko in Emerald.

I think I'll try to get all three starters this time around, but this'll be my one starter team(by Johto's Elite Four).

Meganium, Noctowl, Ampharos(or Pichu>Pikachu), Heracross(or Hitmontop), Quagsire, and Umbreon(or Donphan, or Forretress).

upandaway

ZayneH said:
Thought I was the only one who chose Chikorita. :lol He/She was the first(and last time) I chose a Grass type for a starter besides Treeko in Emerald.

I think I'll try to get all three starters this time around, but this'll be my one starter team(by Johto's Elite Four).

Meganium, Noctowl, Ampharos(or Pichu>Pikachu), Heracross(or Hitmontop), Quagsire, and Umbreon(or Donphan, or Forretress).
You've got guts to go with Noctowl. He has okay HP and SP DEF, and good ability, but his Speed and DEF really suck. He can annoy great but no STAB on Extrasensory really hurts it. At least, as far as I remember from playing the game, he HAS to have that move along with Hypnosis and Roost. Unless you want to waste your Psychic TM on him.. and you shouldn't.

I used him a lot back then, and he's a little better now with his ability, but still kind of bad taking into account NPCs. For a non-HM slave you'll need to teach him Fly, too, so you can't put Reflect on him.

zumphry

Banned
upandaway said:
You've got guts to go with Noctowl. He has okay HP and SP DEF, and good ability, but his Speed and DEF really suck. He can annoy great but no STAB on Extrasensory really hurts it. At least, as far as I remember from playing the game, he HAS to have that move along with Hypnosis and Roost. Unless you want to waste your Psychic TM on him.. and you shouldn't.

I used him a lot back then, and he's a little better now with his ability, but still kind of bad taking into account NPCs. For a non-HM slave you'll need to teach him Fly, too, so you can't put Reflect on him.

Actually, I have never really cared for(or really paid attention to it) the competitive meta-game, but the threads here on NeoGAF have piqued my interest in it. Then again, I'd use Noctowl just for the single-player, then focus on the Pokemon I'd use for the competitive game.

Plus, I always try to be 30+ levels above the Elite Four(which means I am about level 20 by the first gym :lol).

T'Zariah

Banned
Loved the games, pokemon designs were god awful. Especially the bug, rock and normal types. Even still can't wait till 2010. Superior Silver FTMFW

Yazus

Fuck Silver, Gold was my first GBC game and first RPG/Pokemon game. Nostalgia makes me want to buy Gold twice!

Johann

NightBlade88 said:
Loved the games, pokemon designs were god awful. Especially the bug, rock and normal types. Even still can't wait till 2010. Superior Silver FTMFW

As bad as some designs were, the games had Tyranitar, Skarmory, and the Houndour evolution line. It didn't have anything like Luvdisc.

upandaway

ZayneH said:
Actually, I have never really cared for(or really paid attention to it) the competitive meta-game, but the threads here on NeoGAF have piqued my interest in it. Then again, I'd use Noctowl just for the single-player, then focus on the Pokemon I'd use for the competitive game.
I was still talking in the context of single player there man. I haven't battled anyone else in 10 years. You still gotta have some sort of st-
Plus, I always try to be 30+ levels above the Elite Four(which means I am about level 20 by the first gym :lol).
Oh. Well, okay, that changes a lot. Noctowl can mass murder at such a level difference. You can completely kick Roost out, maybe even Hypnosis if you're cocky, and go all-out offensive.
Reminds me of the days when I thought any attack that doesn't do instant damage is useless. I swear, I must have been at the 90's because I beat the E4 by mashing A endlessly.

NightBlade88 said:
214.jpg

1204055514208.jpg

1204631037896.jpg

You best be joking.

I can't wait for these. But I don't really have the money to import right now. :( So I guess I'll have to wait until early 2010.

I'll definitely be starting with Waninoko, just like in the good old days.

zumphry

Banned
upandaway said:
I was still talking in the context of single player there man. I haven't battled anyone else in 10 years. You still gotta have some sort of st-

Oh. Well, okay, that changes a lot. Noctowl can mass murder at such a level difference. You can completely kick Roost out, maybe even Hypnosis if you're cocky, and go all-out offensive.
Reminds me of the days when I thought any attack that doesn't do instant damage is useless. I swear, I must have been at the 90's because I beat the E4 by mashing A endlessly.

:lol

I know what you mean, I used to think that defensive moves just wasted your time, but when you do learn to do them at the right time, you can finish trainers, and Gym leaders off pretty effectively. Doesn't mean I don't still just spam Flamethrower, or Thunderbolt endlessly when training, or battling trainers, though. :lol

For Noctowl's moveset, I always give my Flying type Fly(and Aerial Ace, but that's me), but I never did consider giving him/her Psychic attacks, before.

upandaway said:

OK, Heracross is decided(Would love to see a Scissor like evolution for Heracross in Generation V, wait, Generation V?! I'm getting old, man!)

T'Zariah

Banned
upandaway said:

214.jpg

1204055514208.jpg

1204631037896.jpg

You best be joking.
Actually I was refering to these.

Foretress.jpg

aipom.png

Quagsire.jpg

Sunflora.jpg

Among others.

Forkball

Nintendo needs to release a better Pokemon box so I can swap Pokemon from my DS carts with ease. I wasted so many hours trying to catch all the Pokemon in Diamond, I don't want that taken away from me!

Forkball said:
Nintendo needs to release a better Pokemon box so I can swap Pokemon from my DS carts with ease. I wasted so many hours trying to catch all the Pokemon in Diamond, I don't want that taken away from me!
I totally agree. Fucking release it for $10 on WiiWare and I'll buy it. Or give us the ability to transfer over Pokemon between games using two DSs.

upandaway

hemtae said:
Steelix isn't rock
We're talking strictly design here.

He's rock. Look at him.

NightBlade88: Every gen has 'em. It's not like Mr. Mime is the coolest guy ever.
If I split the Dex to those that I like and dislike (and I did do this, unfortunately), it comes down to over 50% being on the like side. This drops to like 20% in RSE.

Also, I thought Quagsire looked okay. Really bizarre design. I like him.

shinshero

Dabookerman said:
All the features etc in Crystal are in the remakes.
But Crystal has all the Pokemon. :p

upandaway said:

He's rock. Look at him.

NightBlade88: Every gen has 'em. It's not like Mr. Mime is the coolest guy ever.
If I split the Dex to those that I like and dislike (and I did do this, unfortunately), it comes down to over 50% being on the like side. This drops to like 20% in RSE.

Isn't Steelix "steel" type?

upandaway

shinshero said:
Isn't Steelix "steel" type?
Steel/Ground, but come on, he's a Rock type deep down, in his heart.

But if you're that nudgy about an actual good Rock type, here you go. I'm sure you didn't forget this guy.
1239862093693.gif

(I'm starting to run out of good Gen 2 fanart, so let's digress)

T'Zariah

Banned
upandaway said:

He's rock. Look at him.

Yeah I know every gen had it's bad pokemon designs but Gen II was a REAL let down.

But even still I'll say it again. Gen 1>>>>>>>Everything else.

T'Zariah

Banned
Yeah, Tyranitar was a fucking monster. I just wish you could turn off his sandstorm ability. especially when your trying to battle quickly, and it keeps saying "The sandstorm Rages!" after every fucking turn.

Top Bottom