• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Originally Posted by Totobeni

Wii version did 27K first week

34K. I think 27K was the first day total.
Road
Member
(09-09-2009, 03:05 PM)

Originally Posted by donny2112

His Saturn list is weird. VF2 was at 1.05m at the end of 1996 and didn't make the 1997 Top 100. Sega Rally Championship (600K at end of 1996) is completely missing.

They all seem very similar to the lists at Game Data Museum.

Originally Posted by oldie-newbie

Does someone know if Famitsu displays the total software for each console weekly ?

They give a pie chart with the normal weekly update. Media Create gives total software for the week, so you can get a loose approximation by mixing the two.
Road
Member
(09-09-2009, 03:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Totobeni

this is weird , too high for a late port , Wii version did 27K first week , unless it's because of Canaan :/

was there anything new in the PS3 port ?

There was a re-launch of the console selling 150k in one week.

That might be the biggest reason.

Originally Posted by Road

They all seem very similar to the lists at Game Data Museum.

They have SEGA Rally Championship at 347K whereas the 1996 Top 100 has it at 598K. In fact, it looks like they just left off the 1995 total for the game altogether. You can see VF2's total on that list at #26.

Edit:
I'm just going to assume that sinobi is pulling his Saturn list from a source that ends up at GDM somewhere down the line. The FDS numbers look to be from GDM, too.
Loudninja
No oxygen in space?
How does the sun burn?
Food for thought.
(09-09-2009, 03:16 PM)
Loudninja's Avatar

Originally Posted by Totobeni

this is weird , too high for a late port , Wii version did 27K first week , unless it's because of Canaan :/

was there anything new in the PS3 port ?

They had a launch event

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/200...es/2132390888/
oldie-newbie
Member
(09-09-2009, 03:27 PM)

Originally Posted by donny2112

They give a pie chart with the normal weekly update. Media Create gives total software for the week, so you can get a loose approximation by mixing the two.

Thanks.

It could permit to distinguish between the new comers in PS3 land and the updaters from the PS3 fat as we know that the tie-ratio was around 0.90 for PS3 launch...
test_account
XP-39C˛
(09-09-2009, 03:33 PM)
test_account's Avatar
Dengeki used to post total weekly software sale for each gaming system before. Does anyone know why they stopped doing this?
Kurosaki Ichigo
Member
(09-09-2009, 03:39 PM)
Kurosaki Ichigo's Avatar
Tried to join all data available...taking donny, cvxfreak and road work that is.

01. PS3 Mobile Suit Gundam Senki (Namco Bandai) - 159,000 (NEW)
02. NDS Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 88,000 (923,000)
03. NDS Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix)
04. WII Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
05. NDS Love Plus (Konami) - 48,000 (NEW)
06. NDS Sloane and MacHale's Mysterious Story 2 (Level 5) - 20,000 (NEW)
07. PS3 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de (Spike) - 17,000 (NEW)

08. WII Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom)
09. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom)
10. NDS You'll Incur Losses if You Remain Ignorant: How Money and Things Work DS (Nintendo)

Also:
[PSP] Samurai Dou Portable 2 - 10,000 (NEW)
[WII] Little King's Story (Ousama Monogatari) - 6,400 (NEW)

[360] Dream C Club - 4,800 (50,000)
[PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4 (Playstation 3 The Best!) - 4,800 (unknown)
[PS3] Uncharted (Playstation 3 The Best!) - 4,200 (NEW)
[WII] Tabemon - 600 (NEW)



Just a few extra bit on the new releases:

- Gundam PS3, there has to be a 2nd shipment already, because 1st day sell through meant 155k shipment. Comparison wise, just like 1st day its doing just a little bit below Gundam Musou titles:
2006 Gundam Target in Sight - 30k
2007 Gundam Musou - 171k
2008 Gundam Musou 2 - 161k
2009 Gundam Senki - 159k

- Love Plus had a really good weekend (came out over twice its first day number). Also needed a 2nd shipment because it was just 47k with the first day sell through. Went past tokimeki titles easily:
TM Girls Side 1st love - 18k
TM Girls Side 2nd season - 35k
Love Plus - 48k

- Sloane disappoints quite a lot imo. 11k with 13% sell through was the first day info, so 20k for the week translates to a poor 25%. Way below the original too:
Sloane - 59k
Sloane 2 - 20k

- 428 certainly benefits from slim launch and the anime tie-in because its first week data is nearly as high as the brand new Imabikisou did on PS3, not to mention its Wii port. It does half what the original 428 release did on Wii.
PS3 Imabikisou - 20k
Wii Imabikisou - 3k
Wii 428 - 34k
PS3 428 - 17k

- Way of the Samurai 2 (Portable) keeps below WotS 1 (P) numbers like its first day showed.
WotS 1 Portable - 16k
WotS 2 Portable - 10k

- Little King's Story does 500 units in all the weekend.
slaughterking
Member
(09-09-2009, 03:43 PM)
slaughterking's Avatar
Love Plus more than doubled its first day sales. That's something.

And DQIX continues to grow even longer legs than VII and VIII.
Last edited by slaughterking; 09-09-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Tannhauser
Junior Member
(09-09-2009, 10:14 PM)

Originally Posted by BlackNMild2k1

I have a question that I think someone here may be able to answer.

How does Wii software sales at this point compare to PS2 software sales at the same point in time?

And if it easy to put into a line graph or some other easy to read visual representation, is it possible to include Xbox/360, PS3, PSP, DS & GC?

I got these numbers from primary sources alone as I have no access to NPD/Chart-Track/Enterbrain etc. hence there are no Xbox or Xbox 360 figures. These are numbers from the Wii's launch up to June 09, that is 3 fiscal years + Q1 of the 4th (worldwide). Due to varying launch dates for certain consoles, the data can't necessarily be used for fair & direct comparisons.

See the notes at the bottom.



Cumulative table:



By year:




PS2 released in Japan on March 4th 2000 (has Q1+Q2 extra sales on the Wii). [Shipped numbers]

DS released in EU on March 11th 2005 (loses EU Q3). Due to Nintendo only releasing numbers by year, I've interpolated the figure for Q1 of FY4 by 17% of the yearly total as an attempt at a satisfactory estimate.

PSP released in US on March 24th 2005 (loses US Q3) and in EU on September 1st (loses EU Q3+Q4+Q1).

GC released in EU on May 3rd 2002 (loses EU Q3+Q4).
JoshuaJSlone
Member
(09-09-2009, 11:33 PM)
JoshuaJSlone's Avatar

Originally Posted by BlackNMild2k1

I have a question that I think someone here may be able to answer.

How does Wii software sales at this point compare to PS2 software sales at the same point in time?

Tannhauser takes a look at worldwide shipments, but here you can see sums for each week using the known Famitsu data in Garaph. Links to all systems at the bottom. Of course there are gaps and things like the Top 500 arriving make some weeks appear to have huge gains, but overall it's pretty good for comparing.

To put a few things in a familiar form: At 143 weeks Wii software is where PS2 software was at 110 weeks. At 145 weeks, PS3 software is where GCN software was at 116 weeks.

Here are some that go to show off the console/portable switch: At 247 weeks, DS software is where PS2 software was at 297 weeks. At 143 weeks Wii software is where GBA software was at 150 weeks.
test_account
XP-39C˛
(09-09-2009, 11:41 PM)
test_account's Avatar
There is one thing that i wondered about, is it possible that the other hardware sales were affected by the PS3 launch? I guess that we will know the answer relatively soon though when the sales numbers come out, but i just wanted to ask now :)
BlackNMild2k1
Member
(09-10-2009, 12:44 AM)
BlackNMild2k1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tannhauser

I got these numbers from primary sources alone as I have no access to NPD/Chart-Track/Enterbrain etc. hence there are no Xbox or Xbox 360 figures. These are numbers from the Wii's launch up to June 09, that is 3 fiscal years + Q1 of the 4th (worldwide). Due to varying launch dates for certain consoles, the data can't necessarily be used for fair & direct comparisons.

See the notes at the bottom.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...e-software.jpg

Cumulative table:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...ware-table.jpg

By year:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...ware-table.jpg


PS2 released in Japan on March 4th 2000 (has Q1+Q2 extra sales on the Wii). [Shipped numbers]

DS released in EU on March 11th 2005 (loses EU Q3). Due to Nintendo only releasing numbers by year, I've interpolated the figure for Q1 of FY4 by 17% of the yearly total as an attempt at a satisfactory estimate.

PSP released in US on March 24th 2005 (loses US Q3) and in EU on September 1st (loses EU Q3+Q4+Q1).

GC released in EU on May 3rd 2002 (loses EU Q3+Q4).

Thanx. That is really helpful in seeing how hardware sales effected software sales. Too bad Xbox/360 couldn't be included.

Now is it that the DS software didn't really pick up until the 3.5yr mark? I remember the DS being a software giant starting somewhere in the 2nd year, or so I thought.


Originally Posted by JoshuaJSlone

Tannhauser takes a look at worldwide shipments, but here you can see sums for each week using the known Famitsu data in Garaph. Links to all systems at the bottom. Of course there are gaps and things like the Top 500 arriving make some weeks appear to have huge gains, but overall it's pretty good for comparing.

To put a few things in a familiar form: At 143 weeks Wii software is where PS2 software was at 110 weeks. At 145 weeks, PS3 software is where GCN software was at 116 weeks.

Here are some that go to show off the console/portable switch: At 247 weeks, DS software is where PS2 software was at 297 weeks. At 143 weeks Wii software is where GBA software was at 150 weeks.

Thanks for that too. I always see your "at XXX weeks" list, but I was hoping to see a WW comparison. IF you have estimated WW numbers and could put it in that format, that would be extremely helpful as well.
AranhaHunter
Banned
(09-10-2009, 03:05 AM)

Originally Posted by donny2112

And looking back at GT4, it was the most front-loaded of the series to date, probably due to GT3, GT 2001, and GT4:P already having come out on the system. With PS3 already having GT4HD, GT5:P and GT5:P Spec III, it could share similar sales trends.

That's a really poor comparison IMHO. Before GT4, you had already seen on PS2 a full Gran Turismo, a Gran Turismo Prologue and a Gran Turismo Concept and on PS3, before GT5, you have GT4HD (free download with something like 30 cars and 1 track), and GT5:P (Spec III is just GT5:P with all the patches).

% of 1st week in LTD

GT1 - 36% (2.2m) (10.5 months in Top 30)
GT2 - 51% (1.5m) (2.5 months in Top 30)
GT3 - 33% (1.4m) (6.5 months in Top 30)
GT4:P - 27% (750K) (2.5 months in Top 30)
GT4 - 62% (1.1m) (2.5 months in Top 30)
GT5:P - 45% (240K) (1 month in Top 30)

Here is the LTD numbers acordding to PD website:

GRAN TURISMO (Japan) 2,550 1997/12/23
GRAN TURISMO 2 (Japan) 1,710 1999/12/11
GRAN TURISMO 3 A-spec (Japan) 1,890 2001/04/28
GRAN TURISMO Concept 2001 TOKYO (Japan) 430 2002/01/01
GRAN TURISMO 4 “Prologue” (Japan) 790 2003/12/04
GRAN TURISMO 4 (Japan) 1,260 2004/12/28
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (Japan) 690 2007/12/13

I'll go out on a limb and say that GT5 will outsell GT4, maybe even GT2 as well and fall in line with GT1 and GT3 in terms of legs, maybe a bit worse, something like GT5:P.

Of course I'm probably completely wrong :{
Famitsu Aug 24-30

01./02. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 69,757 / 835,336 (+5%)
02./01. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) - 68,125 / 3,765,460 (-14%)
03./00. [360] Dream C Club (D3 Publisher) - 44,884 / NEW
04./05. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 39,909 / 1,049,992 (+2%)
05./00. [PSP] Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny (Namco Bandai Games) - 31,224 / NEW
06./04. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 30,945 / 865,740 (-27%)
07./00. [NDS] Super Robot Gakuen (Namco Bandai Games) - 25,680 / NEW
08./00. [PS2] Hakuouki: Zuisouroku (Idea Factory) - 19,386 / NEW
09./00. [NDS] You'll Incur Losses if You Remain Ignorant: How Money and Things Work DS (Nintendo) - 17,336 / NEW
10./00. [PSP] Hakuouki Portable (Idea Factory) - 16,764 / NEW

11./08. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 16,444 / 957,134 (-10%)
12./09. [NDS] Puyo Puyo 7 (SEGA) - 15,758 / 139,854 (-12%)
13./06. [PS2] SD Gundam G Generation Wars (Namco Bandai Games) - 13,956 / 288,039 (-36%)
14./00. [NDS] Nanashi no Game: Eye (The Game with no Name: Eye) (Square Enix) - 10,320 / NEW
15./10. [PSP] Tales of Versus (Namco Bandai Games) - 8,067 / 208,135 (-38%)
16./03. [PS2] Melty Blood: Actress Again (Ecole Software) - 7,726 / 50,215 (-82%)
17./12. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai X: Tenkuu no 7 Senshi (A Penguin's Troubles X: 7 Warriors of the Sky) (Konami) - 7,716 / 123,803 (-25%)
18./00. [PS2] Memories Off 6: Next Relation (5pb) - 7,010 / NEW
19./16. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 6,584 / 3,512,430 (-9%)
20./13. [NDS] Color Changing Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love (Nintendo) - 6,365 / 70,544 (-34%)
21./00. [PSP] Ninja Clash: Tenchu San Portable (From Software) - 6,257 / NEW
22./07. [PSP] Okami Kakushi (Sly Wolf) (Konami) - 6,152 / 27,734 (-71%)
23./15. [PS2] Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes (Namco Bandai Games) - 5,967 / 84,428 (-22%)
24./14. [NDS] Blood of Bahamut (Square Enix) - 5,563 / 66,303 (-39%)
25./19. [NDS] Welcome Home! Chibi-Robo! Happy Rich Big Cleaning! (Nintendo) - 5,506 / 103,152 (-10%)
26./17. [PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2009 Club Championship (Konami) - 5,089 / 64,342 (-26%)
27./21. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 4,528 / 2,317,637 (-6%)
28./25. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) - 4,069 / 3,495,697 (-2%)
29./23. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 3,693 / 5,060,880 (-14%)
30./00. [PS3] F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin (CyberFront) - 3,224 / NEW

*. [360] Memories Off 6: Next Relation (5pb) - 2,900 / NEW
*. [360] F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin (CyberFront) - 2,600 / NEW
*. [PSP] The Strategic & Tactical Modern Warfare Simulation (SystemSoft Alpha) - 1,400 / NEW
*. [360] Memories Off 6 Double Pack (5pb) - 1,200 / NEW
*. [PS2] The Strategic & Tactical Modern Warfare Simulation (SystemSoft Alpha) - 1,000 / NEW
*. [PSP] Juujimoto Ripputai Sypher Portable (Abel) - 1,000 / NEW
*. [360] Memories Off 6: Trial Wave (5pb) - 810 / NEW
*. [PS2] Hakuouki: Zuisouroku Twin Pack (Idea Factory) - 610 / NEW


Bar Chart Aug 24-30 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)


Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.


Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Jul 27-Aug 2, 2009
Aug 3-16, 2009
Aug 17-23, 2009
Road
Member
(09-10-2009, 03:31 AM)

Originally Posted by AranhaHunter

I'll go out on a limb and say that GT5 will outsell GT4, maybe even GT2 as well and fall in line with GT1 and GT3 in terms of legs, maybe a bit worse, something like GT5:P.

Of course I'm probably completely wrong :{

I guess I'm pessimist because I'm considering reaching one million already a lot and only happening with a permanent bundle until the end of the generation.
Tannhauser
Junior Member
(09-10-2009, 03:32 AM)

Originally Posted by JoshuaJSlone

Tannhauser takes a look at worldwide shipments, but here you can see sums for each week using the known Famitsu data in Garaph. Links to all systems at the bottom. Of course there are gaps and things like the Top 500 arriving make some weeks appear to have huge gains, but overall it's pretty good for comparing.

Nice one.

Originally Posted by BlackNMild2k1

Thanx. That is really helpful in seeing how hardware sales effected software sales. Too bad Xbox/360 couldn't be included.

Now is it that the DS software didn't really pick up until the 3.5yr mark? I remember the DS being a software giant starting somewhere in the 2nd year, or so I thought.

Yes, the DS only reached those levels in FY 07 but by all accounts 120+ million for the previous year is substantial and higher than the GBA ever did. That was actually the peak year in Japan - the gains in the year after were in the US and (mainly) Europe, that is in 2007 was when it really took off worldwide i.e. approached PS2 years.

Edit:

Originally Posted by Road

I guess I'm pessimist because I'm considering reaching one million already a lot and only happening with a permanent bundle until the end of the generation.

Nah, it'll surely exceed a million if Prologue did 700k.

Double-edit: looking at the Famitsu numbers (and going by that measure), I can see where you're coming from.
Last edited by Tannhauser; 09-10-2009 at 03:43 AM.

Originally Posted by AranhaHunter

Here is the LTD numbers acordding to PD website:

Since it wasn't mentioned in the original post, the other numbers posted are Famitsu. Also, publisher numbers are usually shipped and often include budget re-releases, just FYI.
bttb
Member
(09-10-2009, 04:33 AM)
.
Last edited by bttb; 05-22-2010 at 08:02 PM.
schuelma
Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
(09-10-2009, 04:35 AM)
schuelma's Avatar

Originally Posted by bttb

Famitsu Sales: 08/31 - 09/06

DSL 5600
DSi 59000
PSP 23000
Wii 18000
PS3 151000
PS2 3700
360 4600

Wow, so much for the Wii Sports Resort/Tri/Black Wii effect.

Nintendo is right back where it started.
LINK.AGE76
Member
(09-10-2009, 04:37 AM)

Originally Posted by schuelma

Wow, so much for the Wii Sports Resort/Tri/Black Wii effect.

Nintendo is right back where it started.

I can't wait to see what Nintendo does about this.
schuelma
Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
(09-10-2009, 04:39 AM)
schuelma's Avatar

Originally Posted by LINK.AGE76

I can't wait to see what Nintendo does about this.

Probably nothing until after the holiday's, which seems to me a mistake.
Gravijah
Member
(09-10-2009, 04:42 AM)
Gravijah's Avatar
I need my Wii Mini. Give me it, Nintendo.
JordanLMiller
Member
(09-10-2009, 04:42 AM)
JordanLMiller's Avatar

Originally Posted by LINK.AGE76

I can't wait to see what Nintendo does about this.

Should be interesting to see what they do... if they do anything...
Fafalada
Fafracer forever
(09-10-2009, 04:44 AM)

Originally Posted by donny2112

Also, publisher numbers are usually shipped and often include budget re-releases, just FYI.

GT5P didn't really have a budget re-release though did it? It was the Spec3 bundle that propelled half of it (although it'd be nice to know just how many of those "shipments" are PSN as well).
I wonder if GT5 bundle will be limited thing or will they do a long-term one again.

Code:

08. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 15,000 / 881,000
09. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP the Best) (Capcom) - 15,000 / 972,000
Streams crossing - no more doubts now which one is gonna be 1M first.

Do the numbers still let us track MH2P against WiiFit or will we have to wait for yearly numbers to see it?
lowlylowlycook
Member
(09-10-2009, 04:44 AM)
Looking at those numbers I'm going to have to say that the price cut clearly has nothing to do with the PS3's resurgence.

Clearly Japan was waiting on Kidou Senshi Gundam Senki before making the move to HD gaming.

:D

Seriously I'm a little surprised that there is not more PS3 back catalog stuff showing up given the epic hardware bump.

[edit]

Maybe used game sales?
Last edited by lowlylowlycook; 09-10-2009 at 04:47 AM.
onken
Member
(09-10-2009, 04:46 AM)
onken's Avatar
Nice to see MGS4 re-entry!

I wonder what Nintendo's next move is. I guess the obvious step would be price drop to 20,000Y but is 5000Y enough to make a difference?
LINK.AGE76
Member
(09-10-2009, 04:54 AM)
Iwata needs to change his mind about his price cut stand. I think a price cut needs to happen this November. Show some core games at the October conference or the Kyoto thing to rejuvenate them.
swerve
Member
(09-10-2009, 05:01 AM)

Originally Posted by LINK.AGE76

Iwata needs to change his mind about his price cut stand. I think a price cut needs to happen this November. Show some core games at the October conference or the Kyoto thing to rejuvenate them.

What happens if the price cut only boosts sales for three weeks?

He's looking further ahead.

But definitely, his test of whether Resort will boost sales later in the year is looking to have turned up an answer now.

So, based upon everything Nintendo has done for the last five years, we should expect a hardware refresh of Wii to be announced at some point in October, rather than a price cut.

It'll probably be more expensive, in fact.
onken
Member
(09-10-2009, 05:07 AM)
onken's Avatar

Originally Posted by LINK.AGE76

Iwata needs to change his mind about his price cut stand. I think a price cut needs to happen this November. Show some core games at the October conference or the Kyoto thing to rejuvenate them.

Quite frankly I don't think they're even going to think about a price drop until it grinds down to ~10k levels for a couple of months. Whether it takes months or years before that happens is the real question.
schuelma
Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
(09-10-2009, 05:10 AM)
schuelma's Avatar

Originally Posted by onken

Quite frankly I don't think they're even going to think about a price drop until it grinds down to ~10k levels for a couple of months. Whether it takes months or years before that happens is the real question.

Iwata acknowledged Q1 as a huge disappointment and the numbers never get quite to that level. A price drop or bundle is needed IMO.
AranhaHunter
Banned
(09-10-2009, 05:15 AM)

Originally Posted by donny2112

Since it wasn't mentioned in the original post, the other numbers posted are Famitsu. Also, publisher numbers are usually shipped and often include budget re-releases, just FYI.

I know that, I also doubt there's any new GT games in store shelves besides GT5:P and GT4.
Opiate
Depressingly Realistic
(09-10-2009, 05:18 AM)
Opiate's Avatar
I think it's time for reasonable people to start saying that Nintendo is honestly, genuinely in trouble. There is exactly one game on the horizon that seems hardware-push worthy, NSMBWii.

I'm certainly not suggesting that the PS3 or 360 will ever catch the Wii. However, I can now imagine a situation where the following happens: 1) The Wii continues to slide. 2) While the PS3/360 aren't about to rocket to PS2 levels, I can now imagine them maintaining mediocre sales, while the Wii continues its slide in to mediocrity.

The result of this would be negative momentum for Nintendo, and this would give third parties ample reason to continue ignoring Nintendo going in to next generation, if it begins to appear that Nintendo has lost its steam in the latter half of the Wii's lifespan.

I'm not saying that's certainly happening, I just think it's a possibility now. Nintendo already struggles to maintain third parties, and any negative sales trends only amplify that tendency.
longdi
Member
(09-10-2009, 05:19 AM)
longdi's Avatar
Go PS3 slim go! Can it outsell Wii for 2009?
Please be successful so Japanese developers can focus on next gen gaming!
schuelma
Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
(09-10-2009, 05:28 AM)
schuelma's Avatar

Originally Posted by Opiate


I'm not saying that's certainly happening, I just think it's a possibility now. Nintendo already struggles to maintain third parties, and any negative sales trends only amplify that tendency.

You definitely have a point, but I think things are pretty simple next gen, at least in the West- If Nintendo brings out a system with roughly similar power as the other systems I don't think they'll have much trouble getting 3rd parties on board. Consequently, if they don't, they'll continue to be ignored as they have been when they were outselling the competition by extreme margins.

Japan might be a different case because I do think there is/was the potential for Nintendo to get a lot more initial support for next gen based on the Wii's success. If it starts tanking I could see that changing. On the other hand, I think its also important for the relatively high profile 3rd party efforts to sell well.
swerve
Member
(09-10-2009, 05:34 AM)

Originally Posted by Opiate

I think it's time for reasonable people to start saying that Nintendo is honestly, genuinely in trouble. There is exactly one game on the horizon that seems hardware-push worthy, NSMBWii.

I think all Nintendo are focused on is how many people are after a Wii for the holidays this year. The combined power of MH3, NSMBWii, Resort and Wii Fit Plus has got to make that number pretty high, just on games since July.

We might learn a lot about Japanese buying habits, this year. Or we might see Nintendo scrape through another disappointing holiday.
jeremy1456
Member
(09-10-2009, 05:34 AM)
jeremy1456's Avatar
How long was the PS3 Slim out for this sales period?

Originally Posted by AranhaHunter

I also doubt there's any new GT games in store shelves besides GT5:P and GT4.

That would not be a safe assumption. Japan-GAF often tells of stores having lots of new stock for old games that haven't sold, yet. A week or two ago, it was about DQVII for PS1 still being available new in a lot of stores.
jrricky
Banned
(09-10-2009, 05:41 AM)
jrricky's Avatar

Originally Posted by longdi

Go PS3 slim go! Can it outsell Wii for 2009?
Please be successful so Japanese developers can focus on next gen gaming!

:lol

Japan is portable country so that will never happen, especially 3-4 years in the console cycle
spwolf
If this poster agrees with you, you're probably doing something very wrong.
(09-10-2009, 05:44 AM)
spwolf's Avatar

Originally Posted by schuelma

You definitely have a point, but I think things are pretty simple next gen, at least in the West- If Nintendo brings out a system with roughly similar power as the other systems I don't think they'll have much trouble getting 3rd parties on board. Consequently, if they don't, they'll continue to be ignored as they have been when they were outselling the competition by extreme margins.

Japan might be a different case because I do think there is/was the potential for Nintendo to get a lot more initial support for next gen based on the Wii's success. If it starts tanking I could see that changing. On the other hand, I think its also important for the relatively high profile 3rd party efforts to sell well.

if they are unwilling to drop the price on current Wii, they better not release next gen Wii.
Price cut is essential, it is what people see in stores when they compare the products. How can someone justify $250 for Wii today? Its hard. It will be much harder next year with wands, natal, etc...

Also, 3rd party efforts - how willing are 3rd parties be to develop for Wii when costs of development goes up for next-gen versions? I think HD is least of N's problems, and i dont think they need to compete head on with PS3/360. So called next-gen is not just HD graphics, its online services and everything else combined. Developing all that takes a lot of time and money. I would hope that Nintendo has ability to gradually reduce the price of Wii so it can keep selling extremly well. At good price point everyone would have Wii and then decide if they preffer PS3 or 360.

It really does depend on the price.
iceatcs
Junior Member
(09-10-2009, 05:45 AM)
iceatcs's Avatar

Originally Posted by jeremy1456

How long was the PS3 Slim out for this sales period?

Out on 3rd. 3 or 4 days
Dalthien
Member
(09-10-2009, 06:23 AM)

Originally Posted by spwolf

if they are unwilling to drop the price on current Wii, they better not release next gen Wii.
Price cut is essential, it is what people see in stores when they compare the products. How can someone justify $250 for Wii today? Its hard. It will be much harder next year with wands, natal, etc...

Also, 3rd party efforts - how willing are 3rd parties be to develop for Wii when costs of development goes up for next-gen versions? I think HD is least of N's problems, and i dont think they need to compete head on with PS3/360. So called next-gen is not just HD graphics, its online services and everything else combined. Developing all that takes a lot of time and money. I would hope that Nintendo has ability to gradually reduce the price of Wii so it can keep selling extremly well. At good price point everyone would have Wii and then decide if they preffer PS3 or 360.

It really does depend on the price.

I think a $200 Wii is pretty certain. The question is when. I think Nintendo really wants to be able to ride out the $250 price point through this holiday season for a couple of reasons.

One - because they didn't account for it in their financial planning for this fiscal year. They already know that there's no way of reaching the 26m figure for the year. Even with a price cut I don't think they can reach that number. But dropping the price now would hit their profits even harder this year than if they just leave it as is. Which is why I think they're hoping to be able to make it to March or April before dropping the price worldwide. They could then account for the new price in their next fiscal year plans, and even if they drop it in March, it would be late enough that it would only have a fairly minimal effect on the current fiscal year.

Two - I have to believe that there is a fairly plentiful supply of Wiis in the retail channel right now. Dropping the price would mean refunding retailers for the price cut on all the Wiis sitting on shelves right now. Again, the immediate hit on profitability would be hard to swallow in this current fiscal year.

Having said that, if sales fall low enough then Nintendo may have to go ahead with a price drop this current fiscal year anyway. If the Wii falls below 200k for a couple months in the US, that might cause retailers to cut their holiday orders for the Wii, which might be the impetus needed to push Nintendo into a late price cut this year. But as long as sales can stay in the 200k+ range, then I think Nintendo will hope for a nice holiday season with NSMB and Wii Fit+ leading the way.

The one area where I could see Nintendo going ahead with a price cut anyway would be Japan. Sales are low enough in Japan now that the overall hit to profits would be fairly small overall for the company's current fiscal year - so they may be willing to absorb that relatively minimal hit for the good of their standing in the Japanese market.

Anyway - definitely worth keeping an eye on.
Rocksteady33
Junior Member
(09-10-2009, 06:27 AM)
Rocksteady33's Avatar
If anything Nintendo should just bundle Wii Sports into the Wii, which Japan never got the treatment of.
onipex
Member
(09-10-2009, 06:35 AM)
onipex's Avatar
I think Nintendo will just release a new color again with Wii Fit+ or NSMB Wii instead of dropping the price. Maybe the next color wont be in limited supply. They will also want to wait and see how sales hold up after all three games are released.

There is no point in them trying a new strategy if they don't see it through.
TunaLover
Member
(09-10-2009, 07:00 AM)
TunaLover's Avatar
Black Wii is already out in Japan, doesn´t it? It had zero bump effect.

Nintendo should be better prepared with core first party titles, during MH3 rush. They need build a more solid offering but its core audience, along with expanding the market.
Last edited by TunaLover; 09-10-2009 at 07:04 AM.
viciouskillersquirrel
NeoGAF's Emotion Exchequer Extraordinaire
(09-10-2009, 07:07 AM)
viciouskillersquirrel's Avatar

Originally Posted by TunaLover

Black Wii is already out in Japan, doesn´t it? It had zero bump effect.

It may well have been a substantial bump had it launched by itself. As it is, it combined with MH3's effect so we can't examine it in isolation.
AranhaHunter
Banned
(09-10-2009, 07:12 AM)

Originally Posted by donny2112

That would not be a safe assumption. Japan-GAF often tells of stores having lots of new stock for old games that haven't sold, yet. A week or two ago, it was about DQVII for PS1 still being available new in a lot of stores.

I've also found new Gameboy games in the US, but I doubt those numbers are even in the thousands. You might be right and there might be some new copies of GT1-3 on store shelves, but I stand by what I said and I doubt those numbers are significant, surely they're not in the hundreds of thousands that's the discrepancy between your numbers (I assume they are MC numbers?) and the numbers posted on PD site.

Now watch someone come up with some kind of proof and make me eat crow :P
phisheep
NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
(09-10-2009, 07:13 AM)
phisheep's Avatar

Originally Posted by Opiate

I think it's time for reasonable people to start saying that Nintendo is honestly, genuinely in trouble. There is exactly one game on the horizon that seems hardware-push worthy, NSMBWii.

I think that perhaps this is premature. Thing is, we don't know what is on the horizon because Nintendo don't tell us that far in advance.
test_account
XP-39C˛
(09-10-2009, 08:11 AM)
test_account's Avatar

Originally Posted by markatisu

I think everyone here expected this

Ye, after seeing the first day sales, i dont think that there would be much chance that any other games than Mobile Suit Gundam Senki for the PS3 would be the best selling games of this week indeed, i agree :)


Originally Posted by schuelma

Wow, so much for the Wii Sports Resort/Tri/Black Wii effect.

Nintendo is right back where it started.

I wonder if the Wii hardware sales were affected by the PS3 Slim launch and the PS3 price drop, that maybe some people bought a PS3 instead of a Wii this week, but who knows. I think that it shall be interesting to see how the PS3 and the Wii is selling in the upcoming weeks and months :)


Originally Posted by lowlylowlycook

Looking at those numbers I'm going to have to say that the price cut clearly has nothing to do with the PS3's resurgence.

Clearly Japan was waiting on Kidou Senshi Gundam Senki before making the move to HD gaming.

:D

Seriously I'm a little surprised that there is not more PS3 back catalog stuff showing up given the epic hardware bump.

[edit]

Maybe used game sales?

Hehe ye, Kidou Senshi Gundam Senki was indeed the game that made people choose to buy a PS3 and not the PS3 Slim and the pricedrop ;) But seriously, i also thought that we might have seen some older PS3 games re-appear in the charts this week. We did see Metal Gear Solid 4 though, but i thought that we might have seen a few more titles as well, i agree. I also think that maybe people bought some used games instead as you say, i agree to this too :) Maybe people picked up some Bluray movie(s) instead of some games as well? But who knows.

I wish that we still got the total weekly software sales numbers for each gaming system from Dengeki like we did before. Then we might have seen more easily if the PS3 software sales had increased in this week compared to last week. I am sure that the PS3 software sales were higher this week compared to last week because of Kidou Senshi Gundam Senki though, but we could subtrackt what Kidou Senshi Gundam Senki sold from the weekly total software sales numbers to see better how the other PS3 software sold this week :)

EDIT: I see now that Minna no Golf 5 charted in the latest Media Create chart. Seeing that Minna no Golf 5 didnt chart in the Famitsu Top 30, i guess that Minna no Golf didnt sell that many copies though, but maybe the sales increase a bit for Minna no Golf 5 because of the PS3 Slim and the PS3 price drop at least :)
Last edited by test_account; 09-10-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Thread Tools