• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"FREE" 1 Year ECA membership... for the price of YOUR SOUL. Read if you applied.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
costanza is a good guy. the e.c.a. has shown that they were a shady group in the way that they've handled this situation anyway, so things would have gone toe-up eventually.

he's not a bad person for taking advantage of a loophole. the e.c.a. and amazon should have found a way to close that loophole if it mattered so much.

Yeah, I joined with a free code after the Amazon deal shut down. They are the preeminent video game advocacy group and I heard about them often on podcasts. I figured if I was ever going to support something like that, it's going to be for video games and not dolphins. Sure they weren't getting any money for me, but maybe just having a high number of "subscribing" members helps them out.

If they are dickbags though, I'll just take my ball and go home. We'll see what is up September next year, and if it's still all shady I'll do something drastic to get out of it.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Jswanko said:
Does it still work if you canceled auto-renew while it was still an option?
No, and that's one of the problems. They are claiming that that option was never supposed to actually be visible to people, as it was still in testing phase or some bullshit, so it didn't actually work.

MrPliskin

Banned
:lol

I guess they've been IP Banning folks who are complaining. I can't wait to see what this eventually will devolve to. I predict closure of their forums.

Owensboro

Welp, I got my letter printed and ready. I'm going to drop it into the mail today and see how long it takes to cancel a membership. I'm betting they send back a letter saying I didn't give them enough information in order to cancel or something.

Well done ECA, I actually paid the money for an account (and don't want that money back) but now don't want to be stuck in this auto-renew hell. What you do is for the good of the hobby, what you just did is as dirty as something Jack Thompson would do.

Owensboro said:
Welp, I got my letter printed and ready. I'm going to drop it into the mail today and see how long it takes to cancel a membership. I'm betting they send back a letter saying I didn't give them enough information in order to cancel or something.

Well done ECA, I actually paid the money for an account (and don't want that money back) but now don't want to be stuck in this auto-renew hell. What you do is for the good of the hobby, what you just did is as dirty as something Jack Thompson would do.
Update us if you hear back. I've yet to read of a case where someone has done the mail in requirement and received any confirmation that they've, you know, actually canceled the account.

MrPliskin said:

I guess they've been IP Banning folks who are complaining. I can't wait to see what this eventually will devolve to. I predict closure of their forums.

Does that cancel your subscription if they ip ban you?

angelfly

If my angry emails don't get any response by this afternoon I have one other option which should surely get my membership insta-canceled.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Does that cancel your subscription if they ip ban you?

No since it's a separate registration and not connected the paid member account in any way unless you use the same email address.

angelfly said:
If my angry emails don't get any response by this afternoon I have one other option which should surely get my membership insta-canceled.

No since it's a separate registration and not connected the paid member account in any way unless you use the same email address.

Ah, I was curious.

Man that Gameslaw guy is deleting posts like crazy. If only they'd actually address the concerns instead of banning.

jcm

beelzebozo said:
costanza is a good guy. the e.c.a. has shown that they were a shady group in the way that they've handled this situation anyway, so things would have gone toe-up eventually.

he's not a bad person for taking advantage of a loophole. the e.c.a. and amazon should have found a way to close that loophole if it mattered so much.

Without Costanza, I wouldn't have known about the free membership, which saved me about $10. On the other hand, without Costanza, the ECA wouldn't have my credit card number in their grubby little hands.

He's like Mama Compensation. A bitch goddess. She gives with one hand, she takes away with the other.

Just kidding. He's actually been very helpful in finding deals.

Baker

Banned
luxarific said:
Yeah, that Consumerist story is pretty weak. Time to go over there and complain in the comments.
It was pretty weak, but you have to hand it to them. They got an article up in under 12 hours without much research and it's not filled with conjecture.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Baker said:
It was pretty weak, but you have to hand it to them. They got an article up in under 12 hours without much research and it's not filled with conjecture.

They wouldn't need to fill it with conjecture, would they? They have at least two sites where people have been posting their experiences with ECA (here and CAG). And they left out the bit about ECA changing the expiration date on your CC and rerunning it if their attempt to recharge your CC fails. That's extremely scummy (as well as scammy).

Bizzyb

Banned

Oh Shi-! This is the power of Amazon....wow. I bow in it's presence
I want off this sinking ship ass fast as I can!
Where is the "Cancel Membership" Button that EVERY online membership based website has??
Direct Link anyone??

Baker

Banned
luxarific said:
They wouldn't need to fill it with conjecture, would they? They have at least two sites where people have been posting their experiences with ECA (here and CAG). And they left out the bit about ECA changing the expiration date on your CC and rerunning it if their attempt to recharge your CC fails. That's extremely scummy (as well as scammy).
Oh, I agree. I was just giving them the benefit of the doubt. If they don't write a follow-up story soon, then I'll start to get pissy.

Bizzyb said:

Oh Shi-! This is the power of Amazon....wow. I bow in it's presence
I want off this sinking ship ass fast as I can!
Where is the "Cancel Membership" Button that EVERY online membership based website has??
Direct Link anyone??
http://theeca.com/404notfound

Someone posted this in the comments of the Consumerist article

I'm highlighting relevant parts, but this applies to this situation.
Making members snailmail in and then delaying the removal thereby forcing the consumer to remain a member when they do not is a breach of contract and against the law in the state of Connetitcut. the states ATG would love to hear of this, and would happily smack the company in question around.

Okay, taken from Connecticut's Attorney General's webpage:
http://www.ct.gov/ag/cwp/view.asp?A=2426&Q=328038
November 14, 2006

Attorney General Richard Blumenthal and Department of Consumer Protection (DCP) Commissioner Edwin R. Rodriguez today announced that ABC Alarm Company of Milford and its two principals have agreed to pay $225,000 to settle allegations that they scammed consumers.

"Refusing to cancel contracts, and threatening and continuing to bill consumers who tried to cancel contracts. "

Consumers with questions should call the Attorney General's Office at (860) 808-5400.
Hm.

Maybe I'll call in an hour.

Caoz

Anyone would like to share a template of the letter I need to send for my membership to be canceled ? I was thinking about writing something like this, not sure if it will suffice.

To whom it may concern,

This is to let you know that I want to cancel my membership to the ECA, which started on "the following date".

I also want to inform you that I do not want to renew my membership and would like my credit card information to be removed from you system.

I thank you in advance for your attention to this request.

Anyone wants to share something better, or more appropriate ?

A D+ with the BBB?

I definitely should have done some research. I signed up way after the Amazon discount was known to be dead but I figured maybe something would come along. And now that they can change my canceled credit card info to charge me again is crazy. Probably won't be a big deal. I'll just dispute it when and if the charge ever comes next year.

MrPliskin said:
http://forums.theeca.com/showthread.php?p=113337#post113337

I wonder if he'll really rage out if/when they ban him again?

Edit: lol, post 113337. LLEEET!

(hey buddy, here's a tip: Kill yourself).

By the way: Ban me again, and I will force you to temporarily close your forms. That is a promise. Delete this thread, or this topic, and I will do the same. You will not silence anyone. Test me, and suffer the consequences.

P.S. Hai GAF! Plz let me come back :(

I must know who this is. :lol

Baker

Banned
Caoz said:
Anyone would like to share a template of the letter I need to send for my membership to be canceled ? I was thinking about writing something like this, not sure if it will suffice.

To whom it may concern,

This is to let you know that I want to cancel my membership to the ECA, which started on "the following date".

I also want to inform you that I do not want to renew my membership and would like my credit card information to be removed from you system.

I thank you in advance for your attention to this request.

Anyone wants to share something better, or more appropriate ?
This is purely a gut feeling from being a web developer and seeing some of their "answers" to these questions, but I seriously don't think they have the ability to remove your CC information. It really seems like they have absolutely zero access to the site's database.

Again, this is completely just my opinion, but I think they hired a company to create the website and now have no contact/contract with them.

*For the third time, this is just my personal assumption. :lol

Bizzyb

Banned
MrPliskin said:
http://forums.theeca.com/showthread.php?p=113337#post113337

I wonder if he'll really rage out if/when they ban him again?

Edit: lol, post 113337. LLEEET!

badboys3.jpg

InsaneLuchador said:
If there's a game media outlet serious about journalism they'll jump on this. These pricks have my debit card numbers.

Protip: They aren't serious about journalism. Looking at my RSS feeds right now, we got the Kotaku guy writing an article about his air conditioner. Put this thread in press release form, send it to them, and I'm sure they'll post it. Remember, you have to do their work for them.

Ruzai

Caoz said:

I saw a few other posters earlier in the thread asking about what to send as well. Nothing wrong with being succinct and direct.

I'm not sure how much good it will do (probably not much), but I ended up writing a much longer complaint in order to document what I perceive as wrong with their organization when the inevitable billing dispute occurs. Feel free to copy/paste any of it that seems helpful to you. Personal and account info are not included for obvious reasons. Don't forget to include your own so that the cancellation can go through.

Letter to the ECA said:
To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing in regards to the cancellation of my ECA membership. I joined the ECA as part of the Game Informer recruitment promotion. The free one-year membership was a fantastic opportunity to get involved with a group whose alleged mission statement was something I considered important and worth supporting. While the loss of the advertised discount from Amazon was a disappointment, I would like to make clear that I held every intention of maintaining my membership. I still feel that the purpose of the ECA is one that deserves the support of the gamer community at large. However, the recent actions and behavior of the organization have shown the ECA to be both unprofessional and unethical, and I am left convinced that even though the goals themselves may be worth supporting, the ECA is not.

I understand the outrage caused by the loss of the Amazon discounts, and the wave of cancellation requests that surely followed would be stressful; even at the best of times, civility is often lacking on the internet. However, the collected response from the ECA to the complainants have shown a cavalier disregard for its members—the very same consumers whose interests, as an advocacy group, it professes to represent. More troubling is the utter lack of transparency in the cancellation process: the non-functional auto-renewal option, the stark refusal to accept cancellation requests via email or telephone in order to ensure the member is not “finicky” or “lazy”, and the reported refusal of your group to respond with confirmation even after a certified letter, as requested, has been sent. For a group that defines itself as primarily web-driven, and as one that was more than happy to allow enrollment online without regard to a potential members “finicky” or “lazy” behavior, the above actions are extremely disconcerting. What’s more, the ECA’s stated procedure for dealing with expired credit cards, to increment the expiration date until the charge goes through, is simply abhorrent; this practice is indefensible.

I do not believe the intent of these actions is malicious, but I do view them as unscrupulous. I will not be associated with such behavior, and I wish my membership to the ECA to be cancelled immediately. The difficulty with which you have surrounded cancellation does not speak well of your willingness to cooperate; as a result, I ask that you provide confirmation of cancellation to the above return address. Failure to comply, or any further charges made to my credit card by the ECA will result in the charge being disputed, as well as complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau and watchdog groups such as the Consumerist.

Hope some of that helps.

Ruzai said:
I saw a few other posters earlier in the thread asking about what to send as well. Nothing wrong with being succinct and direct.

I'm not sure how much good it will do (probably not much), but I ended up writing a much longer complaint in order to document what I perceive as wrong with their organization when the inevitable billing dispute occurs. Feel free to copy/paste any of it that seems helpful to you. Personal and account info are not included for obvious reasons. Don't forget to include your own so that the cancellation can go through.

Hope some of that helps.
Anticipated response from Hal "Call me Hal" Halpin:

"tl, dr, I went ahead and autorenewed you for another 2 years, enjoy!"

Bizzyb

Banned
Ruzai said:

Hope some of that helps.

Way too long. I'm going to be concise, and to the point. Giving them all of my membership info and I'm going to repeat THREE times "I want to CANCEL my ECA Membership, I DO NOT want to Auto-Renew my membership" throughout (beginning, middle and end) the letter.

Hopefully they do not "accidentally lose it", but I will send three letters, one at the beginning of each week. There is no way they can lose three letters from the same person, three weeks in a row.

ShockingAlberto said:
Left at a message with the Connecticut Attorney General.

I'd suggest others do the same.

I already need to leave at lunch to send a certified letter, I suppose I'll have time to do this as well.

Meier

beelzebozo said:
I disagree -- I'm not going to say he's a bad person but what he did is reprehensible. The people who did it completely ruined it for legitimate people such as myself. I paid $15 for this thing and never even got to use an amazon code due to the cheaters and now it sounds like I can't get out of it. I was and still am livid about it.

well, we did all right getting it onto the consumerist. Now we need updates and followups when ECA does nothing and continues banning people from the forums and deleting posts :)

elrechazao said:
well, we did all right getting it onto the consumerist. Now we need updates and followups when ECA does nothing and continues banning people from the forums and deleting posts :)

This is probably the best course of action. Sadly though, you can't shame a company into doing the right thing when they have no shame. Their current non-answers by the ECA forum's admins are proof of that.

Well, good job getting it on the Consumerist.

Is it bad to assume that this will be sorted out within a year or should I go buy some stamps and envelopes?

LeCapitan

Neo Member
Little Green Yoda said:
Don't believe it. I had the same problem. I searched through my inbox to find my activation email and reclicked the validation link to change my password. Account still active.

Wow you we're right, sneaky little bastards.

Meier said:
I disagree -- I'm not going to say he's a bad person but what he did is reprehensible. The people who did it completely ruined it for legitimate people such as myself. I paid $15 for this thing and never even got to use an amazon code due to the cheaters and now it sounds like I can't get out of it. I was and still am livid about it.
Lol is all that response deserves.

Top Bottom