• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega accidentally leaks minutes of meeting with SCEA - PS2 emulation & more discussed

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
It's the day of getting told to pull stories.

The only Ps2 game I'll download to replay that I own is MGS3.

DC Games wooooooooooooo

M3d10n

CTLance said:
Iiiiinteresting.

I still very much doubt they can get a true PS2 emulator to run on stock PS3s, but eh, I'd love to be proven wrong. Maybe with some extensive patching and custom emu builds? Who knows.

That PSN store import section sounds awesome. I hope it comes to be.
The PS2 GPU is a too weird of a beast to be emulated straight on by the PS3. Also, moreso than the PS3, the PS2 was designed around having tons of data streaming around several components in tandem and the GPU memory was accessed at much lower levels by many games (example: uploading new textures mid-frame).

Without aid of hardware a per-game solution, Xbox-style, is the best way to go. A customized emulator for each game, with game specific hacks, and maybe re-written pieces of code. By making it download-only Sony can then avoid several problematic games and tackle the others case by case.

[Nintex]

So this is like the 20th time that something leaks from SEGA's FTP. This probably wasn't a big deal if it was just the new Sonic or something but I bet Sony's pretty pissed. Maybe this is where all the prior Sony E3 leaks came from too. Just some Sega guy uploading notes while singing Live & Leak.

HUELEN10

IrishNinja said:
:lol
seriously though, when has this happened prior?
Sonic Unleashed!

BTW, the folks on "those imageboards" think it's fake since "segaamerica.com is not the official sega site". :lol I lol'd.

[Nintex]

HUELEN10 said:
Sonic Unleashed!

BTW, the folks on "those imageboards" think it's fake since segaamerica.com is not the official sega site. :lol I lol'd.
It's probably just Bernie Stolar trying to stir some shit with his old admin account.

what the fuck? It's like Sony wants to please gaf or something? :lol
Wouldn't believe it for a second if it wasn't on the sega ftp..

Oh Sega! :lol

Some good stuff in there ranging from Yakuza offers, PS2 emulation and DC ports. And above all that I see HUELEN10 is just excited about another compilation of shitty Sonic games. Thats quite a sickness you've got kid! One day we're gonna have to see about getting you fixed somehow!

I really hope SEGA goes through with that "Import section" on PSN. And hopefully other companies follow. Something like this would be great on LIVE as well(Looking at you Cave)C'mon SEGA, VF5R!

fanboi

Banned
Phantast2k said:
what the fuck? It's like Sony wants to please gaf or something? :lol
Wouldn't believe it for a second if it wasn't on the sega ftp..

sooo... the monkeys are ACTUALLY members of gaf, hence the quality drop in threads?

It's all coming together now!

El-Suave

SCEA agreed to provide a list of Sega IP that would work well with the motion controller, Virtua Tennis was an example.

Shouldn't Sega know its own games better than SCEA? This is quite amusing.

So... is it safe to assume Sega have had this exact same meeting with Microsoft based on the weird out-of-nowhere mention of Rare characters & Fable characters for Sonic racing and what someone said in this thread about hearing the same DC discussion on the Xbox side?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Backflip said:
SEGA France is currently asking French websites to not run the story.
If true this news may give Microsoft and Nintendo some useful insigths. Anyway it's too late, Sega should not even bother with telling some sites not to run the story.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Wow, this generation has been terrible with keeping things secret. If the internet has created anything, it's people that are quick at finding stuff.

I would go with the PS2 shop thingy though - I have a few PS2 games still but some of them don't work (Kingdom Hearts) and there's been a shit-ton of stuff I missed out on. Good job if this goes through, Sony!

mr_toa

painful fart said:
"SCEA commented on indexing between PS3 and 360 SKUs, should be around 2:1 to garner most favorable treatment."

What does this mean in plain English?

To venture a guess, that would be Sony's way of saying that Sega would have to put twice as many titles out on the PS3 vs. the 360 to get the super royal treatment from Sony in terms of e.g. marketing support etc.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
mclem said:
While they might be, I'm not seeing that in the section you quoted. I think the SKU differentiation mentioned in the quote would be referring to giving the PS3 version of a given game some bonus feature (linked to motion control) over competing versions.

I can agree with that. Sony doesn't need DC exclusives to differentiate their digital content offerings - bring us PSone and PS2 stuff to do that pls! I guess, though, if they think MS would go for exclusives they might feel they need to too.

Ideally 360 and PS3 would have (all) DC titles on their platforms. Then Sony should concentrate on getting (all) PSone/PS2 titles on theirs.

One box that has PSone/PS2/PS3/DC/PSN games & more besides is a nice vision Sony should pursue.

Darkpen said:
I hope no one gets fired :<

Though, I really want to know how Sony's going to react to this leak :S

There wasn't anything game changing leaked, just some news of the massively speculated upon PS2 backwards compatability, and a little blip about niche japanese game imports.

The news of downloadable Dreamcast games being leaked is more of a Sega issue. They would care more about this, considering they were talking exclusivity deals with Sony.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nachkebia said:
Honestly I have my hopes low, we are asking for PS1 classics and nobody is bloody giving us, haalooo! vargant story!!!

It's kind of what makes me lol at the talk of wanting 'all' PS2 games on PSN.

But who knows, maybe they'll get there...eventually. PSN should be around for a long time into the future.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
M3d10n said:
The PS2 GPU is a too weird of a beast to be emulated straight on by the PS3. Also, moreso than the PS3, the PS2 was designed around having tons of data streaming around several components in tandem and the GPU memory was accessed at much lower levels by many games (example: uploading new textures mid-frame).

Without aid of hardware a per-game solution, Xbox-style, is the best way to go. A customized emulator for each game, with game specific hacks, and maybe re-written pieces of code. By making it download-only Sony can then avoid several problematic games and tackle the others case by case.

Especially when Performance Analyzer devices are still working and people with experience using it can be asked to provide help with testing games to provide feedback data for the per title optimized emulators (for many games you should also have the source code available too).

Edit: re-written pieces of code as in dynamic patching?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
CrashPrime said:
There wasn't anything game changing leaked, just some news of the massively speculated upon PS2 backwards compatability, and a little blip about niche japanese game imports.

The news of downloadable Dreamcast games being leaked is more of a Sega issue. They would care more about this, considering they were talking exclusivity deals with Sony.
The part with the motion controller is quite sensitive, it gave a launch date.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
zoku88 said:
Doesn't seem like anything that MS doesn't do, cept that Sony seems to offer marketing rather than development money, judging from the notes.
That is assuming what MS offers everyone is money, we've heard more about them actually helping with development for 360 SKUs of games than we have of them giving money away.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Panajev2001a said:
Especially when Performance Analyzer devices are still working and people with experience using it can be asked to provide help with testing games to provide feedback data for the per title optimized emulators (for many games you should also have the source code available too).

They'll never get to 'all' PS2 titles with per-title emu though.

Maybe they could have an emulator that works 'OK' with some larger swathe of titles and then will have to work on a per title basis with the rest.

I dunno. It'll be interesting to see what comes of this, at least we know for sure now that they do appear to be trying to pursue a software emulation solution for PS2 (be it per title, general or a bit of both).

gofreak said:
It's kind of what makes me lol at the talk of wanting 'all' PS2 games on PSN.

But who knows, maybe they'll get there...eventually. PSN should be around for a long time into the future.
I´d venture to guess that the next generation PSP will run download PS2 titles from the get go.

I was actually baffled they are already considering download PS2 titles on PSN, I thought this was at least a couple of years away, thought they were saving it to coincide with next gen PSP so the games could be treated the same way as PSOne titles are today. The PS2 hw still generates revenues as well.

Darkpen

Banned
The God of War remastered collection set the bar for PS2 "per-title emulation." If they go down the route of per-title, and they don't render at at least720p w/ 2xAA, then fuck it. If they do, then I have a freaking christmas list of high-texture PS2 games I want to see in HD glory, which includes MGS3 and FFXII :D :D

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Safe Bet said:
There's a refurbed B/C PS3 with a new 250GB HD in the buy/trade thread going for the same price as a new slim.

I'd want a Aussie regioned one, cos of BRD and DVD's :(

Darkpen said:
The God of War remastered collection set the bar for PS2 "per-title emulation." If they go down the route of per-title, and they don't render at at least720p w/ 2xAA, then fuck it. If they do, then I have a freaking christmas list of high-texture PS2 games I want to see in HD glory, which includes MGS3 and FFXII :D :D
How much work is it to get a PS2 title to run in 720p with added AA etc? Too much to expect it as standard?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
painful fart said:
I´d venture to guess that the next generation PSP will run download PS2 titles from the get go.

I was actually baffled they are already considering download PS2 titles on PSN, I thought this was at least a couple of years away, thought they were saving it to coincide with next gen PSP so the games could be treated the same way as PSOne titles are today. The PS2 hw still generates revenues as well.

It makes sense to have a deal-y twixt ps3 and the next psp similar to psone games with psp and ps3 (i.e. playable between both, buy one copy to play on both).

As for timing...now that they are probably hoping PS3 will start to 'take over' PS2 more significantly, they might feel time is right to make moves on this. But never too early anyway to start preparing or certainly to be doing tech work on it.

Foliorum Viridum said:
How much work is it to get a PS2 title to run in 720p with added AA etc? Too much to expect it as standard?

I think it is. I think the God of War collection is a special case. AFAIK it's not even remotely 'emulated' but a full port.

Making a general system emulator that might have 'per title' profiles for certain more challenging games is another matter altogether, completely different kettle of fish than putting a studio to work on a port. Given PSone emu, given that it's just emulated 'as is' with no bells and whistles, expecting more out of any kind of PS2 emu seems very hopeful to say the least!

Top Bottom