• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Retail sales achieve 1 million sales in 3 weeks worldwide

1 million world-wide after a $100 price cut? I guess that is good. But they've got a long way to go.

Well . . . Uncharted 2, I'm buying. Year of PS3. :D

jrricky said:
Again, shipped or sold?

From SCEI's press release:

Tokyo, September 24, 2009 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. today announced that retail sales of its new PlayStation®3 (PS3®) (CECH-2000A) computer entertainment system achieved a total of 1 million units*1 worldwide in the 3 weeks since its launch on September 1, 2009...

*1 The number is based on SCEI’s estimation.

So, I'd say the 1M figure is SCEI's sell-through estimate.

It's a start. What I like about Sony is that they're probably the most aggressive of the three companies, even when they're bleeding money. I'm always down with the scrappy underdog. Even if they're not market leader this gen the more heat they can put on the other guys the better. We can already thank them for the Wii price drop.

davepoobond said:
which region would that be? Uzbekistan?
You editted that from 600k. Smooth.

Anyways for these numbers to be right that means they sold about 450k in Euro/Asia alone. I have no idea if that's reasonable or not.

test_account

XP-39C²
jrricky said:
Again, shipped or sold?
Other people have already answered to this, but the topic of this thread and the Sony .pdf document says "retail sales", so i would guess that it is consoles sold to consumers :)

i_am_ben said:
I'll be honest I don't think it's that impressive :/
How so? And not impressive compared to what? :)

EDIT:

Son of Godzilla said:
Anyways for these numbers to be right that means they sold about 450k in Euro/Asia alone. I have no idea if that's reasonable or not.
Do we have the US numbers for September yet?

mujun

Wii 360 PS3 PS2 NDS PSP
December 2008 2,150,000 1,440,000 726,000 410,000 3,040,000 1,020,000

NPD 2008, for the sake of reference.

nib95

Banned
Watch them lose most of that steam this fall due to dropping GT5. Uncharted 2 and R&C are not enough to win this Xmas. Though I'm sure FFXIII will make strides in Japan.

nib95 said:
Watch them lose most of that steam this fall due to dropping GT5. Uncharted 2 and R&C are not enough to win this Xmas. Though I'm sure FFXIII will make strides in Japan.

i'd love to see a LBP bundle with a Blu-Ray movie at $300 this xmas...

linsivvi

nib95 said:

New PS3 owners are not restricted to only buying the latest games. Even with the crazy assumption that all new PS3 buyers already own a 360, you don't think the back catalog of MGS5, Little Big Planet, Killzone, etc are enough?

YoungHav

Banned
All the momentum won't matter. Sony has failed yet again to release a killer app for the holiday season by GT5 coming out in March 2010. Uncharted 2 will get critical acclaim but won't be the system pusher/sell as much as GT5. 360 will outsell the PS3 again. Damn you Sony!

laserbeam

Banned
gofreak said:
All 70,000 units (judging by the Gamasutra figures).

Does it really matter?

if estimates are gonna be done we gotta do them right. It is also disingenuous to take 4 weeks of sales an say its 3.

Raist said:
They are?
I mean, serious question.

Well in US the Slim actually went on sale in stores on the 25th of August a Week before the 1st. So either they are not counting slim sales or they are merging a 4th week into 3 to look better

szaromir

Banned
mujun said:
Wii 360 PS3 PS2 NDS PSP
December 2008 2,150,000 1,440,000 726,000 410,000 3,040,000 1,020,000

NPD 2008, for the sake of reference.
Well, it's September not December. Good for Sony, I guess. MS and Sony usually ship 1.5-2M consoles in non-Holiday quarters, so the sales are definitely a lot faster than usual.

mujun

szaromir said:
Well, it's September not December. Good for Sony, I guess. MS and Sony usually ship 1.5-2M consoles in non-Holiday quarters, so the sales are definitely a lot faster than usual.

I'm not saying it's not good, that wasn't my intention in posting the NPD numbers. It just isn't as impressive as I first thought it was. It is still really good though and if they can keep the increase in YOY sales high then they are going to start catching up with the 360 pretty quick.

le.phat

YoungHav said:
All the momentum won't matter. Sony has failed yet again to release a killer app for the holiday season by GT5 coming out in March 2010. Uncharted 2 will get critical acclaim but won't be the system pusher/sell as much as GT5. 360 will outsell the PS3 again. Damn you Sony!

this guy right here :lol

anyway, great news! Its an awesome console deserving awesome sales. Its really amazing how many people around picked one up. People are boggled by all the stuff that a ps3 can do right out of the box, its like people really arn't aware of what a complete package the ps3 really is. Love to see my anecdotal observings being reflected in the upcoming NPD.

test_account

XP-39C²
Revelations said:
Nope. Unless we are counting the last week of last months NPD.
Ok, i see. Thanks for the info :)

laserbeam said:
if estimates are gonna be done we gotta do them right. It is also disingenuous to take 4 weeks of sales an say its 3.
In this case, how do we know whats right? I mean, there could be a possibility that Sony counts 4 weeks, i agree to that, but do we have any evidence of this?

laserbeam said:
Well in US the Slim actually went on sale in stores on the 25th of August a Week before the 1st. So either they are not counting slim sales or they are merging a 4th week into 3 to look better
Are the PS3 Phat and the PS3 Slim tracked seperately? Or how do you mean with "not counting slim sales"?

EDIT: I added some text.

gtj1092

I could never quite grasp how someone can feel sony is doomed and ps3 sales are horrible and will continue to fall in an abyss but simultaneously never be impressed with any sale increases. Also considering they were only able to ship 1 million units in the previous three months and now have sold through retail one million units in three weeks.

spinning_rims175.gif

They spinning ______they spinning /chris rock:lol

52club

I have to assume Sony hopes this translates into software sales. While selling a lot of systems is nice it is more of a means to an end in my opinion.

PAL sales are pretty impressive. PS3 is outselling the 360 for prettty much every game and is 1st in overall software sales.

Iceberg

1 million is impressive unless you compare it with Wii/DS sales, but it's an improvemente nonetheless.

How much were they losing with each PS3 slim sold?

schennmu said:
PAL sales are pretty impressive. PS3 is outselling the 360 for prettty much every game and is 1st in overall software sales.
Great news for a platform that definitely needs the attention. Though this week software sales numbers might shift to the 360 a bit. :)

test_account

XP-39C²
Come to think of it, does Sony benefit from saying 3 weeks instead of 4 week (besides that 3 weeks looks better than 4 weeks in this case)? I can see that it might benefit Sony if their investors are pleased with high sales numbers, but doesnt the investors also have access to sales numbers so they can see for themself how much that is sold or does the investors just trust Sony with the numbers they give out?

If Sony includes 4 weeks of sales in this case and say that it is only for 3 weeks of sales, wont their next sales numbers look a bit worse, as in they are missing 1 week of sales then, if you know what i mean?

EDIT: Nevermind the last paragraph, i thought wrong. The 4th week (if it is included) would be from the last week in August, so they wont lose a week of sales or anything like that, because the sales numbers from the last week of August will be included in their total sales numbers anyway.

EDIT 2: Sorry, i forgot to say earlier that 1 million PS3 consoles sold in 3 weeks seems like a pretty good number in my opinion, especially when it comes to the PS3. I am wondering how the PS3 will keep on selling :)

Unimpressive for worldwide sales with such a drastic cut. Though Sony was probably somewhat beholden to what they were able to produce and ship.

Woodsy

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
Unimpressive for worldwide sales with such a drastic cut. Though Sony was probably somewhat beholden to what they were able to produce and ship.

Upping sales 3X is unimpressive? God damn I would hate to be married to you.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The price, the presence of of games like MW2, Madden, FIFA, Tekken 6, and Assassin's Creed as multiplatform titles, the Blu ray deluge that is coming to stores, and the perks of free online all make the PS3 well positioned to sell this holiday. 1 million units sold in 3-4 weeks before the holiday rush begins with games like Uncharted 2, Ratchet, and Demon's Souls padding the exclusives is quite impressive.

Woodsy said:
Upping sales 3X is unimpressive? God damn I would hate to be married to you.

3x shit worldwide sales is unimpressive. Yes. Especially considering this bump has nowhere to go but down as it isn't buttressed by system moving software.

Oni Jazar

It's easy to get a boost when you drop the price $100 but be the Oct-Dec numbers will be the true indication of a game changer.

Top Bottom