• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new 4" DSi model to be released within this year in Japan

neo2046

I also agree that it only make the graphic worse if the resolution remain the same
and here comes another question:

the screens of DSi is 3.25"
it seems 4" screen is not fit in the current DSi model
does this mean there will be a newer DS design for fitting the new 4" screen?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
BikoBiko said:
Strange move, just a year after the DSi launched in Japan? Could've just released this model in the first place.

Who says that they wont keep selling the standard dsi ? this just seem like an option for ppl with bad sight and older folks...

Jazzem

Whaa? Bah, that's a bit of a kick in the face to a current DSi owner :/ Still, the screens have a good size to them on the current model.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Jazzem said:
Whaa? Bah, that's a bit of a kick in the face to a current DSi owner :/ Still, the screens have a good size to them on the current model.

bigger isnt always better...

[Nintex]

Nintendo will probably get all DS related projects out of their system this year and early next year to fully focus on the Tegra equipped handheld next year... I hope.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
[Nintex] said:
Nintendo will probably get all DS related projects out of their system this year and early next year to fully focus on the Tegra equipped handheld next year... I hope.
Not really, they just gettin greedy.

Wario64 said:
I'm guessing the supplier for these screens just produced bigger screens and offering at same cost to Nintendo, so there's no price difference or any new features in this 'new' models.

This was the first thing that I thought of.
I'm just hoping that the screens are of a slightly higher resolution .

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The tattoo will have Sonic Rush adventure playing on the DSi with a quote bubble coming out of sonic's mouth saying "WHOAAAAA DUDE 4""

Durante

If it's made specifically for older people I can see the point, otherwise it would just allow you to examine the amazing texture filtering capabilities of the hardware in even more painstaking detail.

Sorry guys :( It's just.. When I posted the OP consisted of one sentance..

Please don't ban my sorry butt.

On topic: Dang.. What a shame, I just bought my DSi..

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Dragona Akehi said:
If all other specs asides from the screen are the same, you're just getting a much poorer picture quality. Larger pixels = BLEH.

is it something about handhelds that make people say this more? I never see this sentiment about HDTV screen size.

I never cared about the screen size of the DS Lite or DSi. My only beef was that it's a crap shoot as to whether you get a nice screen or one that has a terrible yellow, red, blue, etc. tint to it.

Inferno313 said:

Well I'm only a junior here too but I'm pretty sure you won't get banned for that.

Unless a mod is feeling especially merciless today, of course.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That's a bit weird.
Wonder if the unit will be any bigger of if they'll be able to shoe-horn it into the current formfactor.

To be honest, I would be much more interested in like a 2inch DSi like the GBMicro.
You know, make it out of aluminum or something, just sex it up.

grandjedi6 said:
heh, Nintendo thinks they're Apple.
Bingo. My guess is that Nintendo is trying to pull an iPhone, releasing an new model on a yearly basis, with developers designing their games for a certain model of hardware, eventually moving to the next model when adoption gets high enough and an even newer model is out, and so on.

Durante

levious said:
is it something about handhelds that make people say this more? I never see this sentiment about HDTV screen size.
With TVs you are supposed to vary your distance according to the size - if you don't you'll have the same problem. For handhelds the distance is fixed. (well, not completely, but there's an upper limit)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
levious said:
Well, there is a slight difference in pixel count.
Also, what durante said.. I never considered that before.

P90

Inferno313 said:

On topic: Dang.. What a shame, I just bought my DSi..

Just never question neo re: news.

HUELEN10

EmCeeGramr said:
Except for the tattooing (BTW, thank you for the tag reference of the sonic fangirl), you fucking nailed me sadly, you all fucking nailed me. It's no secret, while I love all hardware manufacturers, it's Nintendo that has a special place in my gaming heart. I hope this comes out state side, and at the same resolution (Just for compatibility purposes of course). A bigger screen would be excellent for games like PPL and Ouendan (Seriously, my scores improved immensely when I played these games on DSi, I fare better with a larger screen, and so do all of my friends). Dragona is right though, it will probably look like shit due to the lower PPI. Levious, it makes a difference when you are close to a screen, which will be the case on a handheld. A product like this also has a place for those who are farsighted.

Does it need to exist? Fuck no, but apparently there's a market for it. I am getting a Gameboy Pocket/Gameboy Light vibe from all of this actually, same product and games, but your choice of system. Choices are rarely bad, and for all we know the MSRP on the regular DSi might come down. You never know...

Tl;dr, while I am excited about such a thing existing, and though it might have a market, it doesn't need to exist. It's a total WTF. Needless to say, I won't be getting this, and I don't see why any existing DSi owner would get this either, regardless of possible touch-game benefit. It truly is a total WTF.
Y2Kev said:
The tattoo will have Sonic Rush adventure playing on the DSi with a quote bubble coming out of sonic's mouth saying "WHOAAAAA DUDE 4""
You do know that my tag is referring to some random Sonic fangirl right?

Mudkips

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
If all other specs asides from the screen are the same, you're just getting a much poorer picture quality. Larger pixels = BLEH.

Some people would like a larger screen.
Picture quality should be the same, or better.
Graphics quality will be the same.
If you dislike your increased visual perception of said graphics, hold the DS further away.

The only thing you actually get is a shorter battery life.

HUELEN10

Leondexter said:
I want a 42" screen: my TV. Where's my DS Player attachment for the Wii, Nintendo?
I still do not see how that would work. 480p, Wii's max, is 640x480 square pixels. The DS' screens are 256x192 each and there is a 92 pixel gap in-between them. I don't see how it can be done.

Enron

Banned
Mudkips said:
Some people would like a larger screen.
Picture quality should be the same, or better.
Graphics quality will be the same.
If you dislike your increased visual perception of said graphics, hold the DS further away.

The only thing you actually get is a shorter battery life.

Bigger screen = MOAR QUARITY

Top Bottom