• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Software Thread - Tasty Desserts, Tastier Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
WanderingWind said:
So I just went from a MyTouch to the MyTouch slide.

Is there an easy way to get all the stuff saved to the old SD Card moved to the new one? It's 4 GBs bigger and I wants the space.

How do you like it? I'm thinking of shelling out for a Nexus One but the Slide would be way. way cheaper for me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Felt up a Slide model at Walsmart tonight, it was much thinner than I thought it'd be.

How much is a Slide? Like $150 right?

andycapps

RapidCancel said:
^ $180 w/ contract.

:lol I'm sorry, that's too close in price to the EVO and doesn't even compare.. That should be $100-150.

Anybody know of any ways to sync with the Zune program?

I was under the impression that I could use VLC Remote to stream music to my phone, but all it's doing is controlling the music being played on my computer. Is it not possible to do that with VLC Remote?

Angst

pistolpete2940 said:
I was under the impression that I could use VLC Remote to stream music to my phone, but all it's doing is controlling the music being played on my computer. Is it not possible to do that with VLC Remote?
Use Gmote - that will enable streaming to your phone.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Anybody know of an app that can send photos directly from the phone to a photo account, like My Album for T-Mobile, Picasa, etc?

WanderingWind said:
Anybody know of an app that can send photos directly from the phone to a photo account, like My Album for T-Mobile, Picasa, etc?

What version of Android are you on? In the Gallery you can do Share->Picasa on 2.1

tfur

WanderingWind said:
Eh, it's for my wife's new (to her) MyTouch. So 1.6.

There's a photobucket app. That might be what you are looking for... not sure if it's 1.6 compatible or not. It adds a photobucket popup when you go to share an image.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
tfur said:
There's a photobucket app. That might be what you are looking for... not sure if it's 1.6 compatible or not. It adds a photobucket popup when you go to share an image.

Thanks. I ended up just telling her she can't use the T-Mobile knock off and signed her up for a real account.

andycapps

Not sure if has been posted yet or not but Wrath is a great shmup that's on the market. Free and pretty good gameplay. Played 7 levels so far and it's good.

So I've been contemplating jumping from an iPhone to an Android based phone lately and have been trying to look up apps to see if I can find Android versions. So far I've found a lot of stuff I use regularly also exists on Android. One of the holes I haven't found is it doesn't look like Beejive exists for Android and won't be coming anytime soon. It's the best thing on the iPhone for chat but even then it kinda blows because of how sluggish the app is. Is there a good IM program on Android that at least matches if not excels Beejive? Also is there an easy way to browse the Android store from a PC?

nocode

Marty Chinn said:
So I've been contemplating jumping from an iPhone to an Android based phone lately and have been trying to look up apps to see if I can find Android versions. So far I've found a lot of stuff I use regularly also exists on Android. One of the holes I haven't found is it doesn't look like Beejive exists for Android and won't be coming anytime soon. It's the best thing on the iPhone for chat but even then it kinda blows because of how sluggish the app is. Is there a good IM program on Android that at least matches if not excels Beejive? Also is there an easy way to browse the Android store from a PC?

http://www.appbrain.com/

Lets you browse it on PC, and sync it with your Android phone. When you launch the app on your phone, the apps are there waiting to be installed. It also provides an easier way to update apps for those of us without 2.2 yet.

Marty Chinn said:

eBuddy or Meebo might be what you're looking for. I prefer eBuddy

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Marty Chinn said:
Nothing close to BeeJive, no. If you only use Gchat, the Talk app is great. But otherwise, no.

Salaadin

Cant you just have your gmail account grab your work emails? I have Gmail set to grab all o of my work emails and label it "Work". These then appear on my phone like any other email on the gmail app. You can also set it up so that you can send email from your gmail account using your work address.

This is all done in the settings of your gmail account under "Accounts and Import"
The only thing I cant find is how often it checks these other email accounts.

sruckus

alejob said:
I need a cisco vpn client for the droid. Get working on it Google!

When I was playing with Android in the emulator I thought I saw VPN options. Cisco is technically IP-Sec - is that an option in there?

Ripclawe

Banned
NEw way to root and if you are only interested in running certain apps, this looks like the nice way to go with no permanent changes.

http://www.androidcentral.com/unrevoked-more-simpler-way-root-your-evo#comments

If your dying for root access on your Evo 4G but just can’t figure out how ADB works, or custom recoveries confuse you – fear not, my friends. “Unrevoked” might just be for you. It’s a very simple one-click root method which allows you to run root-required apps, and even gives you Super-user protection. All you do is copy the “unrevoked.apk” file onto your SD card and install it using Astro, or some other file manager. Easy enough, right? The only problem is that you have run the app after every reboot, as it’s not permanent. And it also doesn’t give you a custom recovery, so you can’t flash ROMs – but if you’re just looking to run some “root apps”, then this is definitely your cup of tea!

I ran it and uninstalled without no problems except none of the wifi tether programs seem to be working at this moment.

Epix

Am I doing something wrong when it comes to closing applications as I leave them? This is my first Android experience and I'm used to iPhone where there is no multi-tasking so when I close an application it's process terminates. As I use the Android for a while I start to get running processes built up of all the stuff I've been running (shown by the Advanced Task Killer App). Is there a way to close applications when you're finished so they don't continue running in the background?

Epix said:
Am I doing something wrong when it comes to closing applications as I leave them? This is my first Android experience and I'm used to iPhone where there is no multi-tasking so when I close an application it's process terminates. As I use the Android for a while I start to get running processes built up of all the stuff I've been running (shown by the Advanced Task Killer App). Is there a way to close applications when you're finished so they don't continue running in the background?

The only thing you're doing wrong is worrying about this.

Android is a multitasking OS that is unique in that everything multitasks unless Android decides performance is suffering, and then closes as it sees fit. These Task Killers are placebo effects and just a burden on the user, with the exception of the horribly bloated and performing app every blue moon. The majority of the time the process Task Killers show as running aren't actually running anyway, they're in a paused, vague state.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Oh god. This is my first time visiting this thread sine I got my evo. Thanks for this great thread. A question though, what am I supposed to do with the qr codes I see when browsing the web on my phone for apps?

Stat Flow said:
Oh god. This is my first time visiting this thread sine I got my evo. Thanks for this great thread. A question though, what am I supposed to do with the qr codes I see when browsing the web on my phone for apps?
Grab Barcode Scanner on the Market.

Pimpwerx

Epix said:
What jonnybryce said. And if you're new to Android, and have one of the new phones with Snapdragon processors (or at least Motorola Droid level) then don't even worry about it. Those task killers were for people stuck on older phones. Those of us pre-Droid. Everything since then is way faster and not even worth worrying about. While Android had iPhone functionality from early, it didn't really have iPhone speed until the Droid. PEACE.

Stat Flow said:

You can take a picture of them with Google Goggles, too (I'm pretty sure its baked into Android now) but it's a couple seconds slower than Barcode scanner. One less app to install, update and bother with, but not as fast.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Dammit i want my froyo! Any chance it gets released tomorrow during the apple keynote? That would be awesome. Why is it taking so long?

womp

VanMardigan said:
Dammit i want my froyo! Any chance it gets released tomorrow during the apple keynote? That would be awesome. Why is it taking so long?

If you have a Moto Droid, Froyo is available....And awesome as hell. :D

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Frank "Trashman" Reynolds said:
I'm getting my Evo tomorrow and was kind of bummed to find out SlingPlayer Mobile hasn't been released yet for Android =/ Anyone know when it is supposed to be released?
I think the most official release date we've heard is "Summer".

tfur said:
Android Agenda Widget works fine with 2.2. Plenty of customizable options... definitely worth a look.
Thanks, I feel like I may have used that one before, in an earlier version. Definitely has most of Pure Cal's featureset at this point and works on 2.2.

But then that got me looking at Executive Assistant (via AppBrain's related apps recommendations) and that just might be my agenda app (and then some) from now on. It's got widget and lockscreen support, summarizes activity from just about everything I used Pure Cal and Pure Messenger for and does it for free if you're willing to accept ads at the bottom (I am). The biggest problems I have with it is that it doesn't support any Task/ToDo apps and the Facebook/Twitter support is very plain with no profile pics supported. But it otherwise consolidates a lot of stuff into one widget and the lockscreen support is a major plus.

gcubed

VanMardigan said:
I own a nexus 1. I don't want the unofficial release.

i agree, i really want 2.2 on my nexus one. They said early June for the Nexus One, we'll see, maybe they are planning it for WWDC since they hammered on apple during the keynote would be something i can see them do

SimleuqiR

VanMardigan said:
If my wife gets 4.0 on her 3gs before I get froyo I will be upset.

The leaked Froyo has some bugs in it. I rather they take their time and squash them before the Droid crowd or Nexus owners get it.

The only bug I've encounter is the browser one...which pretty much slows down my phone to a crawl. See here for somewhat of an explanation:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=6661996&postcount=573

I first encounter the bug with xScope. I tried copy and paste some info from the browser on to Twitter. Twitter couldn't get my location and I couldn't paste the info on to the app. Then the phone would start slowing down. At first I thought it was an xScope bug, so I switched my browsing to the stock browser but after long use the symptoms started happening again.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I feel a lot better about my N1 now after the apple conference. That thing is sweet, no doubt, but I feel better about the direction Android is taking vs. IPhone OS. Just give me froyo already Google and i'll be fine for another year or so.

VanMardigan said:
I feel a lot better about my N1 now after the apple conference. That thing is sweet, no doubt, but I feel better about the direction Android is taking vs. IPhone OS. Just give me froyo already Google and i'll be fine for another year or so.
I feel similar. I'd really like to see the new Iphone's screen to compare because i was blown away by the N1 when I got it but the new Iphone's screen sounds and looks awesome at least from the screens I've seen so far. As for the features of iOS 4 (which I still can't get Cisco IOS out of my head when I hear that) they don't really interest me above and beyond anything Android can do.

nocode

VanMardigan said:

Yeah, I was watching that thread seeing what Apple was bringing, and people were fucking flipping out over every single thing they announced. Did they announce anything that wasn't playing catchup though? I do think iPhone 4 looks really sweet though. Nice looking hardware and better screen. Acting like they just landed on the moon, with page after page of posters saying they are splooging all over the place was a little over the top though :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom