• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Software Thread - Tasty Desserts, Tastier Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
andycapps said:
No, I'll check that out. Thanks!

For a note app, 3Banana is better than Evernote imo. For a bunch of reasons, just try it and see.

As for what you're asking, I feel like Docs2Go + Dropbox would be best for what you need. That way you can get the document from your Dropbox, add or edit, and upload it back to your Dropbox.

jayb

jonnybryce said:
For a note app, 3Banana is better than Evernote imo. For a bunch of reasons, just try it and see.

+1

The primary reason I like 3Banana better is that you can view your notes even with no data connection. With Evernote, everything is in the cloud with no offline option... which is strange because the iphone version of Evernote has offline viewing. It's yet another example of lazy android devs. :(

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
If you're looking at note-taking/clipping apps, give Springpad a chance. Just came out in late May for Android (been on iPhone before that). I think 3banana is decent, but there's been no updates to that app in quite awhile. Springpad offers offline access to notes just like 3banana, lets you build actual checklists (or just standalone tasks), ties to a very robust web app @ springpadit.com, ties in a barcode scanner and generally just offers a number of different ways to take notes and enrich them.

andycapps

Everyone has recommendations! :lol I like the choices though, really.. I'll check them all out and see what works best for me. Thanks all!

JoeFu

Banned
What is the file size for everybodies News and Weather program? Is it supposed to be 30 megabytes? It is the largest program on my phone, just a second ago it said it was 44 megabytes, but it went back down...

kaching said:
If you're looking at note-taking/clipping apps, give Springpad a chance. Just came out in late May for Android (been on iPhone before that). I think 3banana is decent, but there's been no updates to that app in quite awhile. Springpad offers offline access to notes just like 3banana, lets you build actual checklists (or just standalone tasks), ties to a very robust web app @ springpadit.com, ties in a barcode scanner and generally just offers a number of different ways to take notes and enrich them.
This looks pretty good. I think I'll give it a try, thanks!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
JoeFu said:
What is the file size for everybodies News and Weather program? Is it supposed to be 30 megabytes? It is the largest program on my phone, just a second ago it said it was 44 megabytes, but it went back down...
Mine says about 7 MB of data, 8MB total. I have three custom news searches and have it set to prefetch articles, not images.

JoeFu

Banned
I didn't realize you could just delete the data which is what I did, but I don't even prefetch anything so I have no idea why or how it got to 44 megabytes.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Any idea when SetCPU will be optimized for the Droid Incredible? Tired of the awful battery on my phone. Juice Defender and Power Battery aren't cutting it.

Epix

bathala said:
Look wat do we have here. a Mario live wallpaper :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pf6XZge_Mo

Here's the link if anyone wants it:

Link

2m30dy1.png

andycapps

andjumble is pretty interesting. I've never played words with friends so I'm guessing this might be similar. You can play by yourself or over the network. Played a few games with my wife and worked pretty well, though lag over wi-fi is intolerable and it seems to do better over 3G. Go figure. Good game so far to kill some time.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Wrekt said:
The links that Epix put up don't seem to be working for me. So it's already gone as far as I can see.

I did a search for "Mario Live Wallpaper" in the marketplace and found it.

Jim

Wrekt said:
The links that Epix put up don't seem to be working for me. So it's already gone as far as I can see.

And it's definitely on the Marketplace. I just grabbed it.
Plus, that link is only readable from an android device. QR code also works.

jayb

Amazon Kindle for Android app is out now. I downloaded a free book (Jungle Book), but the text is all jumbled up. Anyone else experience this?

Jim

jayb said:
Amazon Kindle for Android app is out now. I downloaded a free book (Jungle Book), but the text is all jumbled up. Anyone else experience this?

I grabbed The Jungle Book Sherlock Holmes and they both look/work fine.
Droid Incredible here.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
jayb said:

I grabbed it and checked out my copy of the god delusion. Looks great to me!

Does anyone know if any app that will let me use the barcode scanner app to scan and organize my comic book collection? I want to be able to just scan and be able to output the results into an excel file or something for easy tracking and sharing (as I'm looking to sell my books).

Thanks!!

zoku88

Is anyone having problems with notifications? Facebook and Twitter aren't really updating for me until I open the programs and manually update them.

Btw, does the kindle app allow you to import ebooks from the sd card?

teiresias

Works for me just scanning the QR code in the post above to grab the Mario Live Wallpaper. It's definitely still in the market as of five minutes ago. It's a far too busy wallpaper to actually use, IMO.

The mario wallpaper is broken. If you let it run long enough mario eventually gets stuck behind a pipe. Fun while it lasted. Gone back to original wallpaper.

SimleuqiR

Mashable said:
Today Google is further enhancing its Google Docs product by releasing a mobile viewer for Android, iPhone and iPad users.

The mobile docs viewer lets users view documents, zoom in and zoom out, navigate pages and download the document all via their mobile browser. Supported files type include PDF, .ppt, .doc and .doc.

Users can go to docs.google.com and access any of their previously uploaded documents. This is a useful update that immediately makes users’ libraries of Google-stored documents easily accessible from their mobile dev

Nice.

thaOwner

Jamesfrom818 said:
I love it but iI dont need something else to drain my battery.
Hey, whats the name of the power control widget that you have on your phone ? I mean, the mini version of the stock power control widget that ships with the phone. Thanks.

Apparently you can't buy books in Kindle? Ok then. Kobo it is. Kobo isn't bad aside from the iPhone UI looking awkward on Android and the occasional lag when you tap to turn the page (happens once or twice during a 30 min reading session). I'll stick with them me thinks. They definitely need to improve but for now they're good.

McBacon said:
Yo Android GAF. I need your game recommendations please!!

Contrary to popular belief, there are actually a lot of cool games on Android. The trick is finding them.

Caligo Chaser
Zenonia
Abduction
Buka
Pulse Rider
Speedx 3D
Robo Defense
Super KO Boxing 2
Raging Thunder 1 & 2
Replica Island
Blow Up
Shoot U
Backbreaker Football
Exzeus
SKyforce Reloaded
Space Physics
Super Tumble
Totemo
Frozen Bubble
Gem Miner

thaOwner said:
Hey, whats the name of the power control widget that you have on your phone ? I mean, the mini version of the stock power control widget that ships with the phone. Thanks.
Dazzle configurable switcher

Anyone know an app to see what's using the internal memory? My Droid is down to 60mb and I don't know why. None of the apps or caches are using anything high. Doesn't add up.

Pimpwerx

That Mario wallpaper is the tits! I'm keeping it on. I don't care if I need to keep it hooked up to a car battery all day, I'm loving this. :D PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom