• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Software Thread - Tasty Desserts, Tastier Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miggytronz

skybaby said:
Launcherpro has been updated again, this time:
dock_counters-300x61.jpg

Dockbar notifications! :D

hmm is there a option to turn those on? or do you gotta use the launcher icons?

andycapps

gcubed said:
so thanks to this thread i've been throughly distracted by Air Control and Alchemy

Air Control is so good! Glad I converted someone else. I downloaded Alchemy but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OP updated with an overview of Android 2.2 and some info on Gingerbread, if anyone cares.

You guys can also start recommending apps for the OP again, too. :D

Mikasangelos said:
That's what I'm wondering too. For example, does it work with a chompSMS shortcut? I guess I could test that by texting myself. :p

belvedere

Junior Butler
jonnybryce said:
Kindle on Android is beautiful.

Thats all.

I was trying to get it working, and maybe I'm a moron but couldn't get it to work on my Android device. It said I didn't have a registered Kindle device linked to my account, and didn't give me the option to link it to my phone, just other Kindle options.

Scottify

It is a great update. I was really hoping for dock notifications. I'm really loving Launcher Pro. The new version did come out today. It wasn't available for update when I checked last night but was there this morning.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mikasangelos said:
According to his official site for the app:

Please note that for these notifications to work, you must either use the corresponding LauncherPro-style icon, or have the shortcut set for the stock phone/messaging app. It should work with other apps as long as you use the LauncherPro icon, and it should work with custom icons as long as you use the stock apps. Support for 3rd party apps with custom icons *might* come in the future but it’s not certain yet.

Zeppu

Sucks that amazon didn't include a sample book for me to have a look at what it does.

Edit: D'oh. Free samples for all!

To elaborate a bit, it's just well thought out and made. Unlike Kobo, it doesn't lag or force close. The animation when turning pages is nice and smooth. There are three color options, numerous text sizes, landscape is fast and more importantly, present, and you can turn pages with the d-pad (Droid) if it's more comfortable. Syncing your purchases is fast, and while the store isn't built in (it opens the browser, you make your purchase and then the Kindle app syncs and pulls the purchase OTA) it's pretty well rounded and feels native to Android, not some rushed iPhone port.

I rebought The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo on Kindle. I'm on chapter 11 on Kobo, but Kobo was force closing and Kindle is here, couldn't fight it any longer.

Scottify

Mikasangelos said:
ok so because im using Handcent its not gonna work. Makes sense

I think it still may work for you if you use the Launcher Pro icon when you set the shortcut on the dock. I use ChompSMS and it worked when I use the Launcher Pro icon.

Miggytronz

Frackh said:
I think it still may work for you if you use the Launcher Pro icon when you set the shortcut on the dock. I use ChompSMS and it worked when I use the Launcher Pro icon.

testing now......

Jayge

andycapps said:
Air Control is so good! Glad I converted someone else. I downloaded Alchemy but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.
Alchemy is like the game Doodle God on Kongregate.com but with a shittier interface and slightly more annoying controls. I've had fairly bad luck with gaming on Android so far (for the most part) but I have found stuff I really like.

Damn that Bebbled though, I suck at those types of games but it's so pretty that I can't stop :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Replica Island. <3 I compiled the source to my ODROID-S and it's such a good game. Wish the levels would have been a bit longer but what's there is good. Also, needs music.

I can't wait to start making my game based on this source code. Very very excite. :D

bathala

Banned
josephdebono said:
Sucks that amazon didn't include a sample book for me to have a look at what it does.

Edit: D'oh. Free samples for all!
Also check out their kindle section at their site. There r alot of free books

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Launcher Pro is pretty great. :eek: It lets me enjoy a Nexus like app launcher instead of the boring Droid-ish one it has instead.

I don't really care for launcherpro. I always go back to it, spend time setting it up, and delete it in the end. I don't care for how smooth the scrolling is, doesn't bother me. I don't want or use more than 3 homescreens, the 3D app drawer isn't ready for primetime imo, it has some weird bugs (icons or widgets disappearing), can be slow with live wallpaper and is a bit excessive.

Not taking away from the work he's done, he's very creative and it's a cool home launcher. But things like swiping the dock for more icons, I'll never use that. I already am able to do and pull things up fast with folders, Gesture Search + Geasture Bar, etc. Home launcher just makes it different, not better, for me at least.

Gotta recommend "The Wars"! First game I bought since I've got my phone!

It's kind of short but really good while it lasts! Everyone should try the free demo that's in the Market!

pxleyes

Banned
jonnybryce said:
I don't really care for launcherpro. I always go back to it, spend time setting it up, and delete it in the end. I don't care for how smooth the scrolling is, doesn't bother me. I don't want or use more than 3 homescreens, the 3D app drawer isn't ready for primetime imo, it has some weird bugs (icons or widgets disappearing), can be slow with live wallpaper and is a bit excessive.

Not taking away from the work he's done, he's very creative and it's a cool home launcher. But things like swiping the dock for more icons, I'll never use that. I already am able to do and pull things up fast with folders, Gesture Search + Geasture Bar, etc. Home launcher just makes it different, not better, for me at least.
You can set it up to work exactly how you want, and it is guaranteed to perform better than the stock launcher, so you are just selling yourself short not using a 3rd party launcher.

jonnybryce said:

I had no idea it did that. Awesome.

jiien

Jamesfrom818 said:
I had no idea it did that. Awesome.

Yeah, I like to leave one of the three sets that you have to work with all blank, so that I can leave it on the blank set, and have an ultra clean looking main screen. I put all my widgets and other stuff on my outside of three homescreens.

eznark

Banned
jonnybryce said:

you're a crazy person

Miggytronz

is there any good Bookmark widgets for LauncherPro users?

also anybody know if there are more LauncherPro icons out there than whats installed?

Goddamn <3 LauncherPro. I'll be glad to send him some money soon. With these dock settings, is there a way then to disable notifications in the bar with Handcent, yet keep the LED working? If not, I may just keep everything in the notification bar and not on the dock since I don't like having notifications in more than one place.

Same for K9 Email. By the way, is there a better email client? I do actually like Google's Gmail app, but I do not like having to use another app for my other school email account which is Windows Live mail-based. I guess forwarding is an option, but that seems like it could be complicated when wanting to send messages with the school account.

Would the built-in Email app work for all three at least and not be retarded?

pxleyes

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
What widgets are you guys using? I really only use Fancy Widget and Dazzle Configurable Switcher.
Beautiful Small Home (part of the beautiful widget pack) on my main screen

Everything else is on the outer screens.
-Last.fm
-Twitter
-News & Weather
-Smooth Calendar (FINALLY UPDATED, THE BEST!)

Scottify

Jamesfrom818 said:
What widgets are you guys using? I really only use Fancy Widget and Dazzle Configurable Switcher.

I use Fancy Widget, Battery Left and Curve Fish's WiFi, Silent Mode and Brightness toggle widgets.

jayb

Jamesfrom818 said:

The only widgets I use are Smooth Calendar and the stock Power Control widget.

jiien

GoldenEye 007 said:
Goddamn <3 LauncherPro. I'll be glad to send him some money soon. With these dock settings, is there a way then to disable notifications in the bar with Handcent, yet keep the LED working? If not, I may just keep everything in the notification bar and not on the dock since I don't like having notifications in more than one place.

Same for K9 Email. By the way, is there a better email client? I do actually like Google's Gmail app, but I do not like having to use another app for my other school email account which is Windows Live mail-based. I guess forwarding is an option, but that seems like it could be complicated when wanting to send messages with the school account.

Would the built-in Email app work for all three at least and not be retarded?

I think Handcent has a ton of customization settings in regards to notifications, so that can probably be set through there. I think I did see a setting to disable notifications in the status bar.

As for the other things, I use the gmail app, since I have all my mail auto-forward to there, but I'm tempted to use the built-in mail app, just to see what it's like.

As for sending mail from another account, gmail has the option to send mail as a different account. It's a setting somewhere. So all my mail auto-forwards to one account, and I can send it back out as any email I specify (that are previously verified, of course). But I don't know if you can do that through the gmail app on the phone. Now that you mention it, I should check...

Jamesfrom818 said:

I use Smooth Calendar, Digital Clock Widget, SwitchPro Widget, Astrid Tasks, and ColorNote. I also have a couple of direct dial links (girlfriend insisted...). I don't have any app links though, I use the dockbar in LauncherPro for that.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
pxleyes said:
-Smooth Calendar (FINALLY UPDATED, THE BEST!)

What's the update? I used to use this one, but it ultimately a little to barebones for what I wanted.

Currently, the main widget I have is Executive Assistant (ad supported version). Solid tabs-based widget that can show agenda, missed calls, email, twitter and facebook updates, all in one widget. Even pulls in Google Reader feed.

pxleyes

Banned
kaching said:
What's the update? I used to use this one, but it ultimately a little to barebones for what I wanted.

Currently, the main widget I have is Executive Assistant (ad supported version). Solid tabs-based widget that can show agenda, missed calls, email, twitter and facebook updates, all in one widget. Even pulls in Google Reader feed.
It wasn't working on Froyo for the last month or so, at least. He finally updated it to work on Froyo. The functionality is the same. 3 events, thin rows, no BS, and a clean UI.

pxleyes

Banned
jonnybryce said:
:lol

It's excessive, I don't use or need it. "BUT IT SCROLLS SO SMOOTHLY!"...so?
So the default launcher is slow as molasses by comparison. If you like your phone under-performing, by all means use the default launcher. If you want the launcher to work as it should, scroll smoothly and not constantly redraw the icons/widgets, then get Launcher Pro or AWD.

And I'll say it again. It isn't excessive. You can drop almost all the features if you want and just end up with a really freaking fast launcher.

jiien

pxleyes said:
So the default launcher is slow as molasses by comparison. If you like your phone under-performing, by all means use the default launcher. If you want the launcher to work as it should, scroll smoothly and not constantly redraw the icons/widgets, then get Launcher Pro or AWD.

And I'll say it again. It isn't excessive. You can drop almost all the features if you want and just end up with a really freaking fast launcher.

Yeah, I agree. It's the stock Launcher, except with so much more. Or less, depending on how you customize it. Which is what makes it so awesome. So...it's hard to make the argument that the stock Launcher is better in any way, since LauncherPro can do everything the stock Launcher does, but better, and more.

Scrolling sideways isn't slow, just not a super bouncy speed-demon animation. Opening the app drawer is fast. I only use 3 screens.

Home replacements aren't necessary for everyone, cry about it.

jiien

jonnybryce said:
Scrolling sideways isn't slow, just not a super bouncy speed-demon animation. Opening the app drawer is fast. I only use 3 screens.

Home replacements aren't necessary for everyone, cry about it.

Angry? I don't think anyone is telling you that you have to use one, we're just trying to tell you that it's actually a great app for a ton of reasons that are contrary to claims you made about it.

eznark

Banned
jonnybryce said:

I just love the scrolling launcher icons and the extra home screens. If you don't need those I can see why you wouldn't care.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I've only had my device for not even 48 hours, but I'm not sure I see the need for a different interface for my own use either. With a few tweaks mine is very functional, and moves extremely smooth.

I may still give it a try.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I may install Launcher beta, what does it do? It seems to replace Sense, is it easy to undo? Is it basically another scene?

Thanks all.

Zeppu

Asking in a non-trolling fashion, can anyone tell me why I would opt for LauncherPro instead of continuing to use ADW Launcher?

jiien

Deadly Cyclone said:
I may install Launcher beta, what does it do? It seems to replace Sense, is it easy to undo? Is it basically another scene?

Thanks all.

It replaces Sense. It's not a "scene", as a "scene" in the Sense-sense (ha!) is just a different configuration of widgets across your seven or so homescreens. LauncherPro (and any other launcher) will replace all of that Sense stuff you see; the black band across the bottom, the way you access the app drawer, etc.

You can do it yourself with no worries of not being able to go back. By installing another launcher, when you press the "Home" button, you'll be asked which launcher you want to use to complete that action. As long as you don't select the checkbox to make your decision the default, the home buttom will continually ask you.

If you do pick a default, you won't be prompted anymore, and it will seem like the other launchers you have installed don't even exist, because you'll never see them. If you ever want to change again, go into Manage Applications in your Settings, and remove the defaults from whatever launcher you have selected, and you'll get the prompt again when you click the Home button.

Finally, LauncherPro has a lot of unique features, but the major things that it does beyond the stock Launcher are allow you to customize the dock completely, have a swipable dock that cycles between three sets, customize how many home screens you have, improves performance...I dunno, there's a ton if stuff. I'd recommend trying it out, at the very least, as well as ADW. If I recall correctly, any time you switch between launchers, your previous configuration of widgets and the like should still be there (specific to the launcher, not universal across all of them that is), so I would install all of them and play around with the settings, to see what you like.

Gotta love Android!

pxleyes

Banned
josephdebono said:
Asking in a non-trolling fashion, can anyone tell me why I would opt for LauncherPro instead of continuing to use ADW Launcher?
It's a personal preference thing, but I find the options much easier to adjust in Launcher Pro. The screen indicator is really slick, not taking any screen real estate and only using a line on the bottom that is already occupied by the dock. The doc also comes with LP's own set of icons. These icons look far better than any 'tinted' icons that ADW can offer, and as seen up the page, they now include notifications as well.

Jayge

jiien said:
Angry? I don't think anyone is telling you that you have to use one, we're just trying to tell you that it's actually a great app for a ton of reasons that are contrary to claims you made about it.
He recognizes that, I think. Which is what he's trying to say. He just doesn't need it. I personally don't know how I could live with 3 homescreens because I'm addicted to 4x1 widgets but that's his choice.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jonnybryce said:

Hey, sounds like the stock 2.1 Gallery app ;)

Anyway, I'm actually with you, haven't really seen the big deal about LauncherPro. Though the dev does seem very diligent and the most recent update that adds dock notifications does start to make it a little more intriguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom