• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Software Thread - Tasty Desserts, Tastier Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

pxleyes

Banned
Jayge said:
He recognizes that, I think. Which is what he's trying to say. He just doesn't need it. I personally don't know how I could live with 3 homescreens because I'm addicted to 4x1 widgets but that's his choice.
Default launcher is 5 screens. You can set Launcher Pro to 3. I dunno, grasping I suppose, but it seems like it would fit his and anybody's needs perfectly. Thus the whole settings screen. To each their own though.

Still, if I had to give someone a single reason to use ANY third party launcher, it is the SPEED. There is a noticeable difference between even the new 2.2 stock launcher and any 3rd party launcher you will install.

jiien

josephdebono said:
Asking in a non-trolling fashion, can anyone tell me why I would opt for LauncherPro instead of continuing to use ADW Launcher?

Double posting for new question. (Or not.)

To answer, I used to use ADW, but have since switched to LauncherPro. The side-swiping through homescreens feels tighter, in my opinion, and though ADW allows you to change the speed and overshoot, etc of the movement, something about it doesn't feel as smooth as LauncherPro. Maybe it's just my perception though. Ultimately, what I love most about LauncherPro over ADW is the scrollable dock, and the fact that you can use either his own built-in icons (which are minimalistically awesome), or even custom ones you have saved on your card. Conversely, I really wish LauncherPro had what ADW does in its app drawer screen, where you can make it Samsung/iPhone-ish, except with the transparent/translucent background. So awesome.

Anyway, LauncherPro won out with me just because the app itself feels cleaner, in both presentation (of the app and the settings screens) and in how the developer consistently improves and updates his app.

Edited for clarity.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I may be getting the Droid X, will there be a luncher Pro for it? Would like to replace motoblur.

Edit: Also, just installed launcher, can you get the HTC time/weather app at all? Any good replacements?

jiien

Deadly Cyclone said:
I may be getting the Droid X, will there be a luncher Pro for it? Would like to replace motoblur.

If you can install apps from the Market, then LauncherPro will be there for you. It's free, right off the Market.

Edit: Also, just installed launcher, can you get the HTC time/weather app at all? Any good replacements?

Sense widgets don't work with any other Launcher, which I think is arguably the largest reason to use Sense at all (those widgets are pretty freaking awesome).

At the very least, Beautiful Widgets does a really good job of offering a good looking alternative to the time/weather Sense widget.

pxleyes

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
It works on any device 2.0 and up. Not sure about 1.6, but I think it works there too. Either way, it should work on the Droid X fine.

Enjoy your absolutely stunning phone if you decide to get it.

ZZMitch

The widgets I use-

Gauge Battery Widget (2x1)
Smooth Calender (thanks for recommending)
Stock News and Weather
Stock Music
Stock Facebook
Twitter
A picture frame of my dog :D

I fit all of this (plus about 30 apps and folders) on 3 screens... all thanks to LauncherPro! <3 5 row screens + scrollable dock (which holds my top 10 contacts).

Zeppu

Ok. We've had keyboards and now launcher discussion is almost over.

Next up: Browsers
Stock vs
ScopeX vs
Dolphin HD vs
Opera vs
Fennec

Jayge

josephdebono said:

Stock vs
ScopeX vs
Dolphin HD vs
Opera vs
Fennec
My money is on stock for its sheer functionality and unobtrusiveness but I'm about to start getting into Fennec nightly builds now that I hear they've been improving. I've always liked Mozilla projects even if I'm a chrome guy now.

GatorBait

pxleyes said:
Pro tip. save home screen space and use Quick Settings.
I am a big fan of Quick Settings, but sometimes I just have more screen real estate than I know what to do with. In those cases, I don't mind putting up a widget (which can also cut down on the number of swipes/presses needed depending on how I have my screens laid out).

ZZMitch

josephdebono said:

Stock vs
ScopeX vs
Dolphin HD vs
Opera vs
Fennec
Xscope is my favorite on 2.1 for its speed and real tabs... I heard the default browser on 2.2 is muchh improved, however.

Speaking of browsers, is there anything out there that can sync my desktop chrome bookmarks with my phone? I'd like to not to have to install anything on the PC side.

Miggytronz

i wish smooth calendar had a transparent setting. the black border is throwing my theme off. LOL but i like the app.

Also anyone know of a Bookmark widget i can use?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Does any browser sync to Chrome?

Hopefully we'll get it soon with the cloud to device API. :/ I'd much rather have it used for syncing than extensions, although those are cool too.

Edit- :lol JL you and I think alike.

gcubed

Andrex said:
Does any browser sync to Chrome?

Hopefully we'll get it soon with the cloud to device API. :/ I'd much rather have it used for syncing than extensions, although those are cool too.

you talking about on the phone? I wish my favorites from Chrome would sync to the phone

zoku88

U
Jayge said:
My money is on stock for its sheer functionality and unobtrusiveness but I'm about to start getting into Fennec nightly builds now that I hear they've been improving. I've always liked Mozilla projects even if I'm a chrome guy now.
My fennec crashes on start. Opera mini seems to have better performance than stock but thy rendering is done on a remote server. But very secure. They should just release opera mobile already.

btw, was this about gingerbread already posted?

http://tinyurl.com/3axh7kj

gcubed said:
you talking about on the phone? I wish my favorites from Chrome would sync to the phone

That's coming. If you browse the various issues in the android project raised by people it's flagged by the development team as a future enhancement (syncing bookmarks with Chrome that is). I'd be amazed if it's not in Gingerbread. If we're talking cloud services, it's an absolute no brainer.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Are there any (good (and particularly free)) games for android that are anything like the game Worms? Seems something like that would be perfect for a smartphone game.

also, what are the best augmented reality apps?

OriginalThinking said:
That's coming. If you browse the various issues in the android project raised by people it's flagged by the development team as a future enhancement (syncing bookmarks with Chrome that is). I'd be amazed if it's not in Gingerbread. If we're talking cloud services, it's an absolute no brainer.

Thank you! I, for one, welcome Google storing my life in the cloud and allowing me to access it everywhere. :D

anyone know how to delete launcherpro? i tried it out but i liked how my screens were before! (with the date on the front page and easy access to apps)

can't seem to figure out how to delete it and restore my old one i had :(

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just go to settings>applications>manage applications and uninstall it like any other app.

zoku88

I was thinking. I have a Motorola Droid and I'm waiting for 2.2.

Is it actually worth it to wait? Do I miss anything by rooting my phone (which is apparently safe?) and install a custom ROM and then upgrade to 2.2?

EDIT: And can you return to stock? Just incase i need to send this phone in for repairs in the future.

Zozz

Banned
2.2 should be rapid the corner. It doesn't hurt to root, you might like it better than going to 2.2, you fan always go stock but you would have to wait for 2.2 to be rooted to get custom roms again.

Jayge

zoku88 said:
U
My fennec crashes on start. Opera mini seems to have better performance than stock but thy rendering is done on a remote server. But very secure. They should just release opera mobile already.

btw, was this about gingerbread already posted?

http://tinyurl.com/3axh7kj
Yeah fennec has a shit ton to work out before it will be ready for public consumption. It will be one bad-ass mobile browser once it reaches 1.0 though.

ZZMitch

zoku88 said:
I was thinking. I have a Motorola Droid and I'm waiting for 2.2.

Is it actually worth it to wait? Do I miss anything by rooting my phone (which is apparently safe?) and install a custom ROM and then upgrade to 2.2?

EDIT: And can you return to stock? Just incase i need to send this phone in for repairs in the future.

I am going to wait for 2.2 and then root my droid after.

ICallItFutile said:
Yeah I've decided this too, even though I REALLY want to use SetCPU.
I don't really see the point in waiting then. I say root now and enjoy the options out there now. When 2.2 comes, if you want to go stock, you can. You will lose root at that point and will have to wait for 2.2 to be rooted if you want to root again later, but you won't lose out on anything. Or you can decide to stay rooted and wait for a root-enabled 2.2. In my experience, newer versions tend to have a root-enabled version out fairly soon after official release. Actually, my Eris has been on 2.1 since WAY before it was officially released.

I recommend Titanium Backup paid version if you decide to root though. One-click backup and restore of all apps and settings is a massive time saver and gives you peace of mind.

zoku88

Zozz said:
2.2 should be rapid the corner. It doesn't hurt to root, you might like it better than going to 2.2, you fan always go stock but you would have to wait for 2.2 to be rooted to get custom roms again.
Oh, it actually makes a difference between going to 2.2 and rooting, or rooting and then going to 2.2?

zoku88

Jayge said:
Yeah fennec has a shit ton to work out before it will be ready for public consumption. It will be one bad-ass mobile browser once it reaches 1.0 though.
i really just want opera mobile 10. Why won't they give it to consumers >_<

CrayzeeCarl said:
I don't really see the point in waiting then. I say root now and enjoy the options out there now. When 2.2 comes, if you want to go stock, you can. You will lose root at that point and will have to wait for 2.2 to be rooted if you want to root again later, but you won't lose out on anything. Or you can decide to stay rooted and wait for a root-enabled 2.2. In my experience, newer versions tend to have a root-enabled version out fairly soon after official release. Actually, my Eris has been on 2.1 since WAY before it was officially released.

I recommend Titanium Backup paid version if you decide to root though. One-click backup and restore of all apps and settings is a massive time saver and gives you peace of mind.
So like, no driver problems or anything?

I think I want to try then. I know this has probably been asked before, but what's a good root/custom rom guide?

alternade

2.2 has been nothing but a nightmare since I upgraded. Constant freezing, Slowdowns, reboots. Android is so half baked. If 3.0 doesn't fix its major short comings I'm giving it up.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
alternade said:
2.2 has been nothing but a nightmare since I upgraded. Constant freezing, Slowdowns, reboots. Android is so half baked. If 3.0 doesn't fix its major short comings I'm giving it up.

You can have those with any OS, it's usually the result of a botched install, not really anything with the OS. What device are you using?

Jayge

zoku88 said:
i really just want opera mobile 10. Why won't they give it to consumers >_<

So like, no driver problems or anything?

I think I want to try then. I know this has probably been asked before, but what's a good root/custom rom guide?
I don't have a droid, but this guide was written very recently and seems easy enough to do. If you have any problems or questions there is a Droid thread on GAF if you search for it, I know it used to be very active but I have no idea what's going on with it these days.

Does anyone know if any app that will let me use the barcode scanner app to scan and organize my comic book collection? I want to be able to just scan and be able to output the results into an excel file or something for easy tracking and sharing (as I'm looking to sell my books). Or even one that'll do something for DVDs.

Thanks!!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
alternade said:
Not sure if trolling.

alternade

Andrex said:
You can have those with any OS, it's usually the result of a botched install, not really anything with the OS. What device are you using?
Nexus one. I'm thinking I should try a full wipe?

Off topic: does the second app neogaf web app let you respond in the app? It always redirects me to the full web page when I want to respond.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
alternade said:
Nexus one. I'm thinking I should try a full wipe?

Off topic: does the second app neogaf web app let you respond in the app? It always redirects me to the full web page when I want to respond.

Full wipe might do it. Just be careful.

You can log into the web app, which will let you reply inside of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom