• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Software Thread - Tasty Desserts, Tastier Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots7

Pimpwerx said:
Shazam is starting a premium service. :( No more free tags unless you used Shazam on your phone before 6/13/2010 (yesterday). Lucky for me I use it frequently, but it only lists the three tags I did on Monday. Those were the first tags since I wiped my phone installing a ROM two weeks ago. I'm not sure how far back their history goes, or if it's tied to our phone numbers, but I have unlimited tags still. It lists me as a paid customer. If you're new to the app, you only get 5 free tags per month. Weird, but kinda expected. One of my all-time favorite apps. I wonder if they're doing that with the iPhone app too. PEACE.
iPhone app did that months ago. Luckily they grandfathered it as well

ZZMitch

Peru said:
Just got my android phone today and browsing around the market. I see several high profile games are not available in Europe, like Bejeweled and Gameloft games. Anyone know when, say Gameloft, plan to expand the region availability? And is there a LOT in the market that's region locked?

There arnt really any gameloft games on the market anywhere, you have to download them from their site.

Pimpwerx said:
Shazam is starting a premium service. :( No more free tags unless you used Shazam on your phone before 6/13/2010 (yesterday). Lucky for me I use it frequently, but it only lists the three tags I did on Monday. Those were the first tags since I wiped my phone installing a ROM two weeks ago. I'm not sure how far back their history goes, or if it's tied to our phone numbers, but I have unlimited tags still. It lists me as a paid customer. If you're new to the app, you only get 5 free tags per month. Weird, but kinda expected. One of my all-time favorite apps. I wonder if they're doing that with the iPhone app too. PEACE.
Wow.

I downloaded Shazam as soon as I got my phone a couple weeks ago and just happened to use it to tag something... yesterday the 13th :lol

Deadly Cyclone said:
Swiftkey is kind of cool, not sure if I like it or Swype more yet.
i like swype until they get to those short double letter words. SwiftKey is okay but i prefer the default pad (EVO) since there seems to be some input lag on it.

Peru

ZZMitch said:
There arnt really any gameloft games on the market anywhere, you have to download them from their site.

I understand now...jeez why haven't I seen this info anywhere before I got the phone today: I live in a country where non-free apps can't be downloaded / bought. Knew nothing about this. That's majorly wack, and Google seems to be extremely slow in opening up markets for this. WTF? Why? What's taking them so long? I want to PAY for APPS.. is that too much to ask? I can pay any bloody way they want me to, cash if that's what it takes, but I can't?

zoku88

Wait what? Why can't you buy non free apps?

And why does it matter of it's in the android market or not if they are available elsewhere

Does anyone else have Caligo Chaser? Its a beat em up and RPG hybrid with some loot whoring. Pretty fun. Its made by Com2uS. One of their other games, Heavy Gunner 3D, is pretty good too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Peru said:
How? By rooting? I can't buy them by scanning the codes off internet, if that's what you suggest.

I think you can buy them from Gameloft's website.

ana

Peru said:
I understand now...jeez why haven't I seen this info anywhere before I got the phone today: I live in a country where non-free apps can't be downloaded / bought. Knew nothing about this. That's majorly wack, and Google seems to be extremely slow in opening up markets for this. WTF? Why? What's taking them so long? I want to PAY for APPS.. is that too much to ask? I can pay any bloody way they want me to, cash if that's what it takes, but I can't?

I also can't buy apps but one that I did mange to pay ad free was ChompSMS.. They had a paypal option because they are situated in Australia and Android market isn't available there either..

So I would love to see same option in other apps too..

GatorBait

Jamesfrom818 said:
Does anyone else have Caligo Chaser? Its a beat em up and RPG hybrid with some loot whoring. Pretty fun. Its made by Com2uS. One of their other games, Heavy Gunner 3D, is pretty good too.
I was thinking about picking it up. It looks like one of the handful of polished Android games available. I'm surprised more people don't mention it.

jedimike

Just got my Evo last night so I'm a complete Android newb. I was thankful to see this thread. I downloaded a few recommended apps, but still feel like I'm not seeing the true depth of the OS.

zoku88

Peru said:
How? By rooting? I can't buy them by scanning the codes off internet, if that's what you suggest.
They disabled being able to download apps from the internet (not from the market) on your phone? That's mean...

If anyone owning a

- Sprint EVO 4G (HTC Supersonic)
- Droid Incredible (HTC Incredible)
- HTC Desire
- HTC Aria
- Droid Eris (HTC DesireC)

have wanted to root their phone but have been reluctant for whatever reason you should try

unrevoked3

I have just done it on my desire and had no issues. Best part is it does not wipe your phone (main reason i had never done it).

the only additional thing i had to install was HTC Sync for the usb debugging drivers. Otherwise just followed the instructions.

i head about it in this thread on XDA

Miggytronz

electristan said:
If anyone owning a

- Sprint EVO 4G (HTC Supersonic)
- Droid Incredible (HTC Incredible)
- HTC Desire
- HTC Aria
- Droid Eris (HTC DesireC)

have wanted to root their phone but have been reluctant for whatever reason you should try

unrevoked3

I have just done it on my desire and had no issues. Best part is it does not wipe your phone (main reason i had never done it).

the only additional thing i had to install was HTC Sync for the usb debugging drivers. Otherwise just followed the instructions.

i head about it in this thread on XDA

doing it now.....

Zozz

Banned
I should give it a try, for the Incredible. Don't think there's much of a benefit to rooting my Inc. yet though.

Have any of you seen the huge backlash for the Shazam app? All I can say is that Android users are getting too comfy with free apps. One of the reasons I think we get shit apps.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Apologize for being naive, but what benefits does rooting offer?

I have done it primarily for flashing custom roms. I'm just waiting for some more official Froyo based one to be released. These should give better performance and features (not that my desire needs it much, but i love to tinker).

Also some apps require root.

ZZMitch

Deadly Cyclone said:
Apologize for being naive, but what benefits does rooting offer?
I just rooted for custom roms, the ability to overclock, the ability to take screen shots and other small things (removing useless alps for me like the mp3 store, and various small battery and performance enhancments that bugless beast has to offer.

Oh, and a shorter boot animation, love that one. And the ability to have froyo early of course!

question:

Does the appstore for an andriod phone carrie the same amount as the iPhones app store?

is games like Final fantasy 1 and 2 available to download in the appstore?

Can I use MSN on an android phone?

does the MSN stay connected even if I start using internet broweser?

Multitasking on these androids, how well does it work?

I am currently an iPhone user and thinking of skipping the iPhone 4 and go with a android phone instead

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
robertsan21 said:
question:

Does the appstore for an andriod phone carrie the same amount as the iPhones app store?

I am currently an iPhone user and thinking of skipping the iPhone 4 and go with a android phone instead

It is not quite up to par, but Android is a bit newer and devs are just starting to get the hang of it. There are a ton of your typical apps, the only thing that is lacking are the games. It will continue to evolve and grow though.

ZZMitch

robertsan21 said:
question:

There are many reasons to get an Android phone over the iPhone, but the application store and gaming areas in which the iPhone is superior to Android right now.

There is a game called Zenonia on the Android marketplace (and in the Apple app store) that might fit your needs.

gcubed

robertsan21 said:
question:

multitasking works fine, and its real multitasking. I use the GPS while playing music on pandora and then receive a phone call. I haven't had an issue with the multitasking and 2.2's app switcher is better then 2.1.

Most apps that you would want are duplicated between the two, but if you are looking for parity in gaming you will be disappointed

carlosp

Banned
robertsan21 said:
question:

1) There are about 100k apps on the market right now
1.1) There are several emulators which work very well (speaking as a milestone owner)
2) You can use any instant messenger on the android platform
3) It works like on your pc, no difference.
4) Look answer 3
5) Go for it ;)

Miggytronz

I did the new unrevoked on my EVO.

downloading Titanium backup now.

Installed Shootme also, to take screen captures....

pPnfm.png

Zeppu

robertsan21 said:
question:

Are you still in Malta? If so vodafone finally got an android phone (Desire) which is pretty good. You probably could go and have a look at it at any of their stores to see what it's like. I personally got a sim free version from the UK a while back and it turns out it's just a little more expensive especially cause you're gonna need to switch to a data plan in order to make full use of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom