• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: I've been remaking Ocarina of Time for years; OoT is "not that good" today.

upandaway said:
WW had the most potential to be like the original Zelda, I think. All you needed is a quick optional raft at the start and obviously improvements to the content and pacing.

You can go anywhere, you can do everything in whichever order you want - which order for the first 3 crystals then which order for the 3 temples to awaken the sword, and finally, the order where you found pieces of the one Triforce Chart that leads to the triforce of courage (I also hated fishing the shards out but finding the maps was great). The overworld filled with a bunch of varied islands holding sidequests and side puzzles (that chain together).
That's my idea of what WW could have been if it was given, say, a couple more years, and a good slap to the head.

You realize how insanely difficult that would be to create? Not saying it wouldn't be awesome but the fact that dungeons are so heavily linked to specific items to allow progression, the way you'd have it, it would end up with people finding dungeons, realizing they can't progress and backtracking and repeating until they find the item necessary to go on.

I can't really think of a way for them to allow you to explore dungeons in any order without their being massive backtracking. And let's say they simply made any dungeon able to be progressed through with any combination of items, what would be the point of them? To simply make it easier? There'd have to be some sort of significant incentive to get the item as opposed to just going through the dungeon. And then, let's not forget the bosses. How would they allow them to be beaten without you having the correct item?

I agree there should be WAY more sidequests and such but there needs to be some established order in progressing through dungeons. At best I could see them clustered so, let's say there are 8 dungeons. The first 3 could be done in any order, then the next 3 in any order (after the initial 3 are all completed) then the final 2 have to be done in a specific order

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Zoramon089 said:
You realize how insanely difficult that would be to create? Not saying it wouldn't be awesome but the fact that dungeons are so heavily linked to specific items to allow progression, the way you'd have it, it would end up with people finding dungeons, realizing they can't progress and backtracking and repeating until they find the item necessary to go on.

I can't really think of a way for them to allow you to explore dungeons in any order without their being massive backtracking. And let's say they simply made any dungeon able to be progressed through with any combination of items, what would be the point of them? To simply make it easier? There'd have to be some sort of significant incentive to get the item as opposed to just going through the dungeon. And then, let's not forget the bosses. How would they allow them to be beaten without you having the correct item?

So basically you're complaining that it would be too much like the original Zelda?

Rhindle

I tried playing Ocarina recently and found it to be a really tough slog.

The level of playability is just not comparable to what we expect these days. You keep hitting annoying/boring/frustrating bits that would have been playtested out of any modem game. I think our collective level of tolerance for that stuff has diminished greatly over the past 10-15 years.

upandaway

Zoramon089 said:
I can't really think of a way for them to allow you to explore dungeons in any order without their being massive backtracking.
The answer is combat. Enemies. All you need is the sword and everything else is extra.
I didn't mention the original Zelda for nothing (this sentence goes for this whole post).

There'd have to be some sort of significant incentive to get the item as opposed to just going through the dungeon.
The dungeon should require the item that's in it. I don't know, maybe that's just me.
The meat of the dungeon's puzzles comes from puzzles that are built around your navigation (items are only an extension of this (unless they're items to assist combat), and if anything, they only make the puzzles easier both for the developer and the player).

And then, let's not forget the bosses. How would they allow them to be beaten without you having the correct item?
The less items used during bosses, the better. Skullord is the only exception, but that's only because the Spinner is really really fun.

silverbullet1080 said:
E3 2010 can't come soon enough.

Yeah, even if the game doesnt release next year, something is bound to show up. I wonder what kind of cool preorder bonus they will have for Zelda Wii. A Link To The Past collectors edition this time? :D

PSGames

If you play Ocarina of Time nowadays, you notice that it's not that good. Sometimes it doesn't move as fast as it should, graphics aren't as beautiful as they should be; there are some confusing parts... Any present Zelda is technically superior. Everything goes faster, more fluid...

He's talking about technical details folks. Not that the gameplay is "not good today".

I just gave OoT to a friend who had never played a Zelda before but is a huge game and he freakin loved it. Despite the graphics he agreed it was the best game he'd ever played. So I'm not sure what people in here are going on about.

Why For?

Banned
I played OoT not that long ago and it holds up perfectly fine.

The whole time I was playing TP, I kept thinking how similar the games feel. There's nothing wrong with Ocarina.

Like with all older games, our memories will ALWAYS put a bit of extra shine on them, but that's all relative to how old we were when we played the game, and what was around at the time.

In it's day, Ocarina made us go 'Wow' even more than Uncharted 2 has done today. I still remember how many people I knew went out and bought Ocarina, and the 64 didn't have a very big install base at all, and it still sold pretty damn well.

Parl said:
Yeah, I've played it recently, and it's still a great game. The pacing isn't fast, but the pacing for both Zelda's and stuff like Final Fantasys and other late 90s stuff slowed down a lot once they reached the late 90s. OoT and FFVII both slowed down a lot, though I liked the slow pace in OoT because I was playing most of it, as opposed to reading or watching something.

That's why it still holds up well, but he's going to look at it from a developer perspective, and it IS a good idea to increase the pace and to have fresher experiences now, as playing a game you haven't played before is often better than playing a better game you've already played.

A slower pace works against a game, more often than not. Ocarina of Time is certainly no exception.

Rash said:
People are going to lambaste you for that statement.

Following the hyperbolic praise OoT gets, and the ridiculous hate Zelda II gets, I certainly don't. Not in the least.

But honestly? I don't disagree, really. Playing the Subspace Emissary in Brawl, as Link, made me think "why not?" in terms of a new Zelda game with sidescrolling action. Same goes for the "from the side" segments in games like Link's Awakening.

Zelda II is severely underrated, and I think a new game that follows its general model would not be bad at all.

This. WiiWare is almost certainly the perfect venue.

luka said:
He's right. I'd rather play WW than OoT any day of the week, despite how amazing and revolutionary it was. It's simply a better game (unless you absolutely hate sailing).

I like the sailing, except for the tedious wind direction changing. Unfortunately for Wind Waker, I also like dungeons, difficulty, and the dual world concept. Wind Waker is better in some ways, particularly the refined controls and item management, but it's a big step backwards in others. Ocarina of Time still wins this matchup.

Doubledex

Banned
luka said:
He's right. I'd rather play WW than OoT any day of the week, despite how amazing and revolutionary it was. It's simply a better game (unless you absolutely hate sailing).
Or Link's Awakening! God..... what a terrific game.

blame space said:
Nearly unplayable in whatever buttfuck resolution/framerate the N64 put out, but it's still pretty amazing in 720p/60fps.
I disagree here, I played the Gamecube port for a bit and while the resolution and frame rate were nice, it didn't help the blurry textures and set pieces at all. The largely empty overworld was a turnoff for me too and I kind of wish the graphics artists had gone for a bolder, more saturated color scheme instead of all the olive greens and browns. While I thought the first dungeon was extremely strong and everything a first dungeon could hope to be, I was really underwhelmed when I got to explore Hyrule Field and the rest of the areas that are accessible to you after beating the first dungeon. I guess this game and me simply aren't meant to be. One thing I really can't complain about is the controls which still feel smooth and responsive today whereas I've always felt Mario in SM64 handles a bit like a tank when you're moving slowly as I've fallen off quite a number of small platforms while trying to turn into another direction.

jdogmoney

Why For? said:
I played OoT not that long ago and it holds up perfectly fine.

The whole time I was playing TP, I kept thinking how similar the games feel. There's nothing wrong with Ocarina.

Like with all older games, our memories will ALWAYS put a bit of extra shine on them, but that's all relative to how old we were when we played the game, and what was around at the time.

In it's day, Ocarina made us go 'Wow' even more than Uncharted 2 has done today. I still remember how many people I knew went out and bought Ocarina, and the 64 didn't have a very big install base at all, and it still sold pretty damn well.

This. Exactly this.

Twilight Princess played like they were trying very, very hard to make OoT, but with motion controls.

I'm all for a different direction when it comes to Zelda, as long as it stays fun to explore. I think, more than anything else, Zelda games should have a sense of exploration.

Also it felt like they padded the length of TP too much by forcing you to do things that would have worked better as sidequests, but that's a different post altogether.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
jett said:
Aonuma is the greatest and I agree with everything he said.

Of course, ninthings will be ninthings.

I think you should probably read what he said again. And by 'again', I mean 'actually read' it.

Speevy

Banned
Anyone who says OoT is not that good today has never met my nephews. They've been playing this game for 6 years.

Vinci

Danish
2D games don't age. What the hell are you people talking about? That's why LttP and Link's Awakening remain awesome, why I still pine after a massive 2D Zelda for the Wii (not multiplayer, just a VAST CONTENT-RICH WORLD), and why OoT should never have beaten either of them on the All-Time list.

John

My most recent plays of Ocarina was on an emulator, so while there wasn't any actual slowdown it didn't magically make 20fps animations into 60fps animations. As such it looks jittery by today's standards, but it's still the same game it was eleven years ago. I agree with everything he's said (except that MM is slightly better).

Vinci

Danish
Speevy said:
They kinda do, since their major problem is one you can only mask through emulation filters. Resolution.

Time is far less kind to 3D games though. In graphics and gameplay.

upandaway said:
The answer is combat. Enemies. All you need is the sword and everything else is extra.
I didn't mention the original Zelda for nothing (this sentence goes for this whole post).

The dungeon should require the item that's in it. I don't know, maybe that's just me.
The meat of the dungeon's puzzles comes from puzzles that are built around your navigation (items are only an extension of this (unless they're items to assist combat), and if anything, they only make the puzzles easier both for the developer and the player).

The less items used during bosses, the better. Skullord is the only exception, but that's only because the Spinner is really really fun.

I dunno, I think many of you are forgetting how much of a HUGE step the series has taken since Zelda 1. What you're suggesting is allowing every dungeon to be traversed with a single item which sounds absolutely awful. That's a good way to completely eliminate a large amount of the creativity and complexity dungeons...Zelda 1 had extremely simple dungeons that at best are as complex as a single room in recent Zelda games. Going back to that would be horrible

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Of course OoT doesn't impress as much now. There's nothing new about it anymore and the visuals are dated. Why is this a revelation for some of you?

When people (rightly) venerate it to astronomical levels it's because they're considering it from the viewpoint of when it came out. Very few games have had such a permanent impact on game design that shows up everywhere still today.

This is really all he's getting at IMO. LOL @ OoT haters trying to pull some told-ya-so with this.

Vinci

Danish
I'd be cool with fewer weapons. SotC didn't have a plethora of weapons. Still had the best boss fights ever.

jett

D-Member
Oblivion said:
I think you should probably read what he said again. And by 'again', I mean 'actually read' it.

I read the entire original spanish interview. So kindly fuck off.

DeBurgo

140.85 said:
When people (rightly) venerate it to astronomical levels it's because they're considering it from the viewpoint of when it came out. Very few games have had such a permanent impact on game design that shows up everywhere still today.
I do not think that everyone is actually looking at it from this perspective. There definitely seems to be at least a few people blinded by childhood nostalgia who praise OoT because they seem to think that we should be making games exactly like OoT again, which I really disagree with. It's way too soon to go back to that. The ideas of OoT still need to settle a lot more before they can be reinvented.

If we're going to go back to old game design ideas, there's actually a lot of interesting game design from even further back (8-bit era, early 16-bit era) that I believe needs to be looked at more thoroughly.

edit: to be fair though I don't really see anyone in this particular thread expressing the opinion I'm complaining about

edit 2:
cartman414 said:
I've been advocating going back that far.
Cool then we agree :)

(sorry if that was ambiguous, the opinion I meant I didn't see was the opinion I'm attacking, not the one I'm advocating. Though when I wrote this post I didn't see yours on the first page, either)

Oblivion

jett said:
I read the entire original spanish interview. So kindly fuck off.

No need to get testy, dude...

I mean, if you did read what he said, than he's not in really in line with what you said in your previous post, no?

DeBurgo said:
I do not think that everyone is actually looking at it from this perspective. There definitely seems to be at least a few people blinded by childhood nostalgia who praise OoT because they seem to think that we should be making games exactly like OoT again, which I really disagree with. It's way too soon to go back to that. The ideas of OoT still need to settle a lot more before they can be reinvented.

If we're going to go back to old game design ideas, there's actually a lot of interesting game design from even further back (8-bit era, early 16-bit era) that I believe needs to be looked at more thoroughly.

edit: to be fair though I don't really see anyone in this particular thread expressing the opinion I'm complaining about

I've been advocating going back that far.

140.85 said:
Of course OoT doesn't impress as much now. There's nothing new about it anymore and the visuals are dated. Why is this a revelation for some of you?

This is really all he's getting at IMO. LOL @ OoT haters trying to pull some told-ya-so with this.

Not all of the innovations (z-targeting, auto-jump) are necessarily things that have to be adhered to every single time out.

wrowa

Majora's Mask has shown that Aounuma is incredibly talented. His problem is he's trying too hard to fill Miyamoto's shoes instead of realizing his own visions. He isn't Miyamoto, he's Aounuma.

Do we know Miyamoto's opinion about Majora's Mask? I have the feeling that he shattered Aounuma's self-confidence with disliking it.

Trurl

Banned
The first Zelda game I played was OoT, so if nostalgia is going to blind me it should blind me in favor of Ocarina--but I still think it has aged poorly. In contrast LttP still seems vibrant and exciting.

My dream Zelda would have an art direction somewhere between Wind Waker and Dragon Quest VIII, and map packed-full of stuff like the post-LttP 2D Zeldas.

...Aonuma worked on OoT, guys.

He's not going "MAN NOTHING ABOUT THAT GAME IS GOOD OR WAS EVER GOOD" as some people in this thread are trying to imply.

Pre

Ocarina is one of my least favorite Zeldas (even though it's still an excellent game). I'd much rather play LttP, WW, or MM, but that's not to say that Ocarina is a poor game - it just hasn't aged as well as its siblings.

GamerSoul

amtentori said:
OOT is the best game I have played. Nothing I have played has made me feel the way OOT did when it first came out.The game is still playable and enjoyable. I must have played this game over 10 times. I don't understand how people can call OOT unplayable by today's standarsds and praise something like say Sotc. I always fest Sotc, framerate was terrible even when the game came out. (it is still one of my favorite games)

Aunuma at least understands that zelda needs to change. the problem is he always tries to use a gimmick or hook instead of making a tight new core experience.

OOT is extremely cohesive, something that the more refined TP lacks.

I agree, man. And I myself finally got a chance to play and beat after I beat WW, and I still loved the experience even more than WW. The feeling of the game and how everything tied together was something unique. And that same feeling is probably what Zelda fans want again. Easier said than done, sadly.

Kaijima said:
None of what Aonuma says gives me confidence that he understands the damage OoT really did to Zelda: removing the arcade game mechanics and challenge from the overworld map, removing the sense of danger from Link's explorations, and making the overworld simplistic and monotonous.

Link to the Past did more "damage" than anything if you're talking about where the series is now. Link to the Past was dead easy compared to earlier Zeldas, and I never felt "in danger" in LttP except in maybe one dungeon, and that was through visuals and music -- not enemies. And Ocarina had more atmospheric and foreboding dungeons... the Forest Temple and Bottom of the Well are creepier to me than anything in LttP.

I agree that I would like more "to do" in the overworld, but obviously making mazes, as they did in the 2D Zeldas, is not really possible or enjoyable in a 3D Zelda when it influences everywhere you go.

And remember that Ocarina was basically copying LttP's structure. It removed the overworld maze structure and added in a bunch of new elements to make up for it.

I've wished for a Zelda I "remake" for a long time, but not in a strict sense of remaking the dungeons and the overworld. Rather, making the game about a big world that you just explore, with no "go here then here then here" linearity.

But then again, Nintendo is better at design nowadays, and design is about making experiences that players want. And most players do NOT want something as difficult or non-linear as Zelda. Even GTA has missions and a plot that takes you from point A to point B. Most gamers need to be led and once they don't know what to do, they stop playing.

NimbusD

I'd be content if his idea of radical change being each new item is some really cool Wii-mote inspired thingamajig (not shoehorning wiimote functions into existing classic items). But what I really want is a complete overhaul of the Zelda system, really dig into it and figure out what works and what doesn't work (i.e. overworlds devoid of inhabitants or not worth exploring).

Gomu Gomu

Oblivion said:
ATTENTION OOT HATERS PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING BEFORE BECOMING TOO HAPPY

I'm pretty darn sure 99.9999% of people aren't going to read the actual quote and just go from the thread title, but Aonuma's referring to the technical aspects. Which he is correct about, since all its sequels (shockingly enough!) are on more powerful systems.

How come this thread reached 4 pages when we have /thread right here?

panda21

i totally agree actually, that twilight princess was my favourite zelda ever. its all the best parts of the previous ones in one place

leroidys

Gomu Gomu said:
How come this thread reached 4 pages when we have /thread right here?

You realize that TECHNICALLY =/= GRAPHICALLY right? He explicitly mentions pacing problems, confusing sequences, etc. This has nothing to do with the power of the system.

Those of you who are saying that it's only highly rated today because of nostalgia need to STFU and actually appreciate what makes a good game.

I only played the game for the first time back in 2004 - AFTER I had played Majora's Mask and Wind Waker - and it still blew me away. It's a brilliant game, and I don't give a fuck how much you blame nostalgia or some shit for people still thinking it rocks.

People still think it's amazing because that's exactly what it is.

Oblivion

leroidys said:
You realize that TECHNICALLY =/= GRAPHICALLY right? He explicitly mentions pacing problems, confusing sequences, etc. This has nothing to do with the power of the system.

It's not just graphics, but controls are more fluid too. As for the 'confusing sequences', he's probably referring to things like the water temple, which he acknowledged long ago. There's nothing in here that's inconsistent with what he's said in the past and how he feels about the game.

Dash

andymcc said:
well, it came out around the time i got a dreamcast, it was hard for me to play it alongside my DC games. :lol

Did you import your Dreamcast? As Zelda: OoT came out nearly a year before the DC in North America.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i wonder if this falls under some sort of "authorial intent" umbrella for video games or something? like, if melville came out twenty years after writing MOBY DICK and called it a shitty book, would it matter?

Kunan

TheCardPlayer said:
Holy fucking shit, there's another like me! Hail, brother!
High-Five, me too! What I would love is link to the past combined with Minish Cap's huge number of addictive secrets in the overworld.

Top Bottom