Ex. a banned meme, how would you know this unless you read every thread, and if you miss this, oh you know its banhammer time.
Shouldn't there be a thread that had this information? Ex. airplane meme is currently banned etc etc?
Or should just pray to jesus/muhammed/EviLore/spagetti monster that when we make a post that it is following the current rules?
Please don't ban me
General rule of thumb:
9 Years on GAF has taught me that ultimately, GAF mods are like capricious greek gods.
Or maybe a goldfield with unmarked mines deposited around.
Either way, tread carefully.
Originally Posted by PantherLotus' Guide for Juniors
1. Don't troll, regardless of who else is doing it. Some of them have a license to do so, some of them know how to do it appropriately, and some of them know how to make it funny. You don't have the clearance, you don't know how to do it appropriately, and you're not funny. Don't try it.
2. Gaming side is a minefield but can be fun if you know what you're doing. It's probably best for you to stick to topics that you're familiar with, games you intend on playing, or systems/games you already own. If you enter a topic outside of your familiarity, refer back to #1.
3. Memes are best avoided. Enjoy them while they last and laugh all you want, but they're all eventually banned.
4. Off-Topic is a more relaxed atmosphere but can be dangerous if you suck at posting. In a weird paradox, OT has fewer stupid posters which makes it easier for mods to patrol the area. A good rule of thumb is to post to threads you like. Basically, don't troll and don't go into topics you're not interested in.
5. Challenge Mods at your own risk. Some of them are fantastic at the back-and-forth debate while others leave zero room for discussion. The best strategy is to be respectful of all of them at all times, regardless of their current behavior. Everything they post is an opinion but should be treated like a fact that only the boldest and most confident posters with evidence should challenge. In any situation where their behavior is being questioned, they are correct and the topic should be avoided.
6. No matter the topic, if you make a blanket statement--especially criticism--back it up with evidence. You won't always get banned for not doing so, but it's always a good practice and will go a long way towards building your recognition and respect.
7. If you want a tag, join and become a regular contributor to one of the -ages. It can take a long time and usually requires some memorable contribution. Remember though, there's a hairline difference between a tag and a permaban, so be careful. Best bets for tags are Sales-Age, PC-Age, AV-Age, SportsGAF, PoliGAF. Most of the time they're given for being stupid, so it's not some mark of glory but usually a mark of shame. Some can be a source of pride, though.
8. Don't be dumb when starting a new thread. Search before you post! If it's news and happened more than 30 minutes ago, it's probably old. If it's sales-age, you or the source are probably misinterpreting the evidence. If it's girl-age, you're probably going to be embarrassed. If it's PoliGAF, you're probably going to show how little you know. If it's about your culture, religion, country, language, philosophy, or any preference, be prepared to defend your beliefs. If it's about sports, there's four sticky threads at the top of the OT that probably covers it. And whatever you do, don't start a thread with a link with a comment that says, "discuss." If you have nothing to say about the topic, don't post it.
9. Correct people's grammar/spelling at your own risk. Not only did you probably make a similar typo on the exact same page, but we have many foreign and non-native English speakers here on GAF, so you're probably just making an ass out of yourself.
10. Last piece of advice: Treat people like they're in the same room with you. If you wouldn't say it to somebody's face, it's a 50/50 chance that you're saying something offensive and bannable. Other than that, it's just a good policy for approaching internet discussion and culture.
Other things to remember:
Read the FAQs; don't ask for tags; make sure your avatar is the right size and completely work safe; never post NSFW stuff; never talk about, ask about, or refer to piracy; no console-wars bullshit; don't be a bigot (racist, sexist, classist, et al); rants are fun but dangerous and often embarassing; be nice and don't be stupid.
Note from the author:
It's taken some years and several bans to learn all of these unwritten rules, and there's probably some that still need to be added. It's possible that one could follow this and still be banned, but this should be a handy guide that will assist you in your junior journey.
Originally Posted by confirmed by mod
I don't know if anyone has been banned for this but you soccer guys should not go into our beloved NFL threads talking all that "Hand-Egg" garbage.
-Dont post magazine scans
-Dont have several GAF accounts (Or admitting)(Also known as alt account)
DON'T JOKE ABOUT WOMEN DRIVERS!
Admiting to using AdBlockPlus on GAF is bannable. And stupid, the ads are funny as hell sometimes.
Originally Posted by fistfulofmetal
Being banned because you don't want to see ads is one of the silliest things I can imagine. It's also extremely petty. I'm not here to make this forum money. If they want that then they should start charging us. It's not my problem or responsibility to keep this forum afloat financially.
Originally Posted by EviLore
You're absolutely right. Paypal me $50 to have your account re-enabled.
-Never say that custom firmware is for pirating games.
-Never make jokes about women driving skills. (Epic thread)
-Dont post 'Gran LOLismo 5 in a Forza thread' or 'LOLZA3' in a GT5 thread.
1. If you only have an arcade stick for two of the current gen consoles and suggest that it would be nice to have a port of a game onto one of them consoles you will get banned. Even if you own the console that the game is originally on and you do not bad mouth it at all....
2. Don't joke about seeing pics if someone says that have pics of some chick they were once with. Even if its a joke you run the risk of getting banned
3. Don't social engineer someone to post their password...
One of my friends got a life ban for doing this, he was a junior.
Something along those lines ^
Don't go into a videogame thread and say, " I wish this was on this console. blah blah blah."
Now this thread is getting on track!
-Don't do what Mike Works Does.
-Don't troll PC gaming
-Don't mess with Sports GAF.
don't mock juniors for being juniors.
Don't talk shit about wrestling or does who like wrestling
Maybe banned? GO SAFE
Originally Posted by EatChildren:
I got banned for posting "die in a fire". It was in jest, but obviously was taken the wrong way. I didnt even know what I was banned for, as the statement just stated "diaf". I didn't consider the post notable nor had used 'diaf' as an abbreviation before, and had to look it up before I worked out why I got a ban.
Really? Someone just said the same thing to me in another thread and they're still kicking.
If you put something NSFW and use NSFW tags, don't assume that you are homefree... if it is a porno shot you will get in trouble most of the time