• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII | The Official Import Thread

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
banner3.png

b.png

Cocoon — a utopia in the sky.

Its inhabitants believed their world a paradise.

Under the Sanctum's rule, Cocoon had long known peace and prosperity.

Mankind was blessed by its protectors, the benevolent fal'Cie, and believed that tranquil days would continue forever.

Their tranquility was shattered with the discovery of one hostile fal'Cie.

The moment that fal'Cie from Pulse — the feared and detested lowerworld — awoke from its slumber, peace on Cocoon came to an end.

Fal'Cie curse humans, turning them into magic-wielding servants.

They become l'Cie — chosen of the fal'Cie.

Those branded with the mark of a l'Cie carry the burden of either fulfilling their Focus or facing a fate harsher than death itself.

A prayer for redemption.
A wish to protect the world.
A promise to challenge destiny.

After thirteen days of fates intertwined, the battle begins.​

b.png

specs.png

TITLE | FINAL FANTASY XIII ファイナルファンタジーXIII

PRODUCER | Yoshinori Kitase
DIRECTOR | Motomu Toriyama
CHARACTER DESIGN | Tetsuya Nomura
SUB-CHARACTER DESIGN | Nao Ikeda
MUSIC | Masashi Hamauzu
ART DIRECTOR | Isamu Kamikokuryo
SUMMON DESIGN | Chikako Nakano
MAIN PROGRAMMER | Kazumi Kobayashi
MOVIE DIRECTOR | Eiji Fujii
BATTLE DESIGN | Toshiro Tsuchida
WEAPON DESIGN | Tetsu Tsukamoto

RELEASE DATE | December 17. 2009
GENRE | Role Playing
PRICE | ¥9,240

For PlayStation 3

Official Site

TROPHIES
22 Bronze | 3 Silver | 3 Gold
but_arrow.png
Bronze trophies will be easily acquired by completing the story. Gold trophies will take more effort.
but_arrow.png
Some trophies allow access to special custom XMB themes with conditions ranging from easy to difficult.

REVIEW SCORES
Famitsu: 10/9/10/10.

BONUS
The first pressing of the game comes with a Final Fantasy XIV Campaign Code — a voucher for an in-game item for Final Fantasy XIV.​

b.png

officialbox.png

merchandise.png

feat.png

but_arrow.png
50-60 Hours of Gameplay

but_arrow.png
Linear PCM 5.1Ch/Dolby Digital 5.1ch/DTS Digital Surround 5.1ch
but_arrow.png
Virtually No Load Times
but_arrow.png
Pausable Cutscenes
but_arrow.png
No HDD Install
but_arrow.png
1 Dual Layer Blu-Ray Disc
but_arrow.png
Video Resolution 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
but_arrow.png
1 Player
but_arrow.png
No Online

but_arrow.png
View Background Information on the Story from the Main Menu

b.png

battle.png

Active. Time. Battle.

The battle system consists of an expanded take on the Active Time Battle system seen in previous Final Fantasy titles.
Every command has a certain ATB cost attached to it, with each cost depending on the strength of the attack. Because of this, there is no MP within the game.
Magic can only be used inside of battles, so HP is regenerated to characters after each one ends.
Only one character can be controlled at a time.
Once you engage in a battle, you're allowed to restart at any time, and if you fail, you are able to try again.
The player's turn will come up sooner if the ATB slot is partially used.
Selecting commands will all be in real time, however the speed of battles can be changed to either standard or slow.

Included within the battle system is an element called the Break bar. Every enemy has a specific 'breaking point' that depletes as the player uses combo attacks. By continuing a combo, 'Break Mode' is activated, allowing even more damage to be inflicted on the enemy. Once this happens, enemies can then be launched into the air and attacked from there.​

optima.png

Optima Change is an extension of the battle system in that it allows the party leader as well as the non-controlled party members to be given a certain class, or role which determines their abilities.
Optimas consist of three roles per Optima. An Optima can be changed any point during the battle, however you can only make adjustments to the party as a whole, not an individual character.
There are six jobs, or 'roles.' As character roles increase, more Optimas become available.
Some examples include: Attacker — strike at enemies with a multitude of attacks. Blaster — use elemental attacks creating chains more easily. Defender — Focus on defense and draw enemy attacks to them. Roles can be changed in real time to adjust to specific battle conditions.​

summons.png

Summons are known as Eidolons and are only able to be used by a l'Cie. The Eidolons use Summon Points (SP) as a lifebar that depletes after a time limit in which the summon then disappears.
Each Eidolon is able to transform into what is called Driving Mode. Driving Mode can be triggered by accumulating Tactical Points (TP).
Every one has a different ultimate attack which will end the summon after being used.
All six characters have one unique summon each in order to give the feel of the character and summon becoming one. Hence, summon growth is tied to character growth — such as HP increases. The level of the summon's ultimate attack is determined by how often you use it.
The amount of times one can use summons is also limited, perhaps one use with every one in ten battles.​

crystar.png

Similar to the Sphere Grid from Final Fantasy X, the Crystarium System is used to advance character growth within the game.
Crystarium Points (CP) are earned with each battle and can be spent on anything from stat increases to magic spells.
The Crystarium System is used to build a characters roles. Once you select a role that you want to advance, CP earned from battles is then used to increase it. Think of the roles as 'levels.' Once you progress to the center of each role chart, that role will then 'level up' and the character will advance to a higher chart.
Characters also have a Crystarium level based on story progression, so there will be maximum level caps for each role.​

missions.png

Similar to the Hunts in Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XIII features a Mission System based on Gran Pulse.
Missions are completely optional and have no tie to the main story, and they can be completed as many times as one wants.
Completing Missions reward the player with items they can use to improve their weapons.
Some of the quests will have you fight enemies that may even be tougher than the final story-line boss.
Missions also assist in the game's weapon upgrade system in that only some weapons can be upgraded with items obtained from completing them.​

b.png

nch.png

char_lightning.png

char_snow.png

char_vanille.png

char_sazh.png

char_hope.png

char_fang.png

b.png

media.png

but_small.png
SCREENSHOTS
screens.png

b.png

spoiler.png

Failure to listen to these rules will result in banning.

Do NOT post spoilers before the game releases.
SPOILER TAG EVERYTHING STORY RELATED, no exceptions.
No console wars. This thread is for the Japanese release discussion only.
Do not derail the thread. If you want to talk about other things, do so elsewhere. This is a Final Fantasy XIII topic, not a Final Fantasy (insert other number here) topic.
No spamming. Seriously, it gets annoying.

SPECIAL THANKS

Expy
brandonh83
duckroll​

rykomatsu

dog-peeing2.jpg

on another note, if you don't care about spoilers, I'll be broadcasting the game on justin.tv late next week.
Will post in thread when it's about to go live (if some English speaker hasn't done a broadcast by then)

(thanks for your hard work on OP even if I'm not a huge SE/FF fan in general :p )

duckroll

rykomatsu said:
on another note, if you don't care about spoilers, I'll be broadcasting the game on justin.tv late next week.
Will post in thread when it's about to go live (if some English speaker hasn't done a broadcast by then)

Do it in another thread or something.

duckroll

rykomatsu said:
figured a new thread wouldn't be warranted, but if you say so...

Make it a SPOILER thread. So people who want to discuss that nonsense can go there. I want to keep the official thread free from people who are not playing the game all discussing story points and spoilers because they don't give a fuck. Those people can go circlejerk on their own.

Great thread, awesome job! It would be nice if some people who import could answer some PM's about general questions such as: Are there optional bosses and if so how many? Because I would love to know things like that, but not specific.

There is a japanese girl in my class, should i kidnap her and make her te every scene for me or wait for euro release ? I'm still not sure.

Edit : forgot, great thread!

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Why did I get no special mention? And before you ask, no I did not wait up at my computer desk waiting for this thread to get posted. I have a netbook in bed.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Glad you guys like it. Took a lot of tweaking and several ideas to come together without it being a giant spam-filled multi-post OP.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Kagari said:
Glad you guys like it. Took a lot of tweaking and several ideas to come together without it being a giant spam-filled multi-post OP.
I personally liked those huge multi-OPs.. but in the aim of being concise you have done a great job.

You set the bar for the Versus thread that will eventually be made :lol

There was actually 1 or 2 things in those descriptions I didn't know! Good stuff, again.

-Pyromaniac- said:
You set the bar for the Versus thread that will eventually be made :lol

There was actually 1 or 2 things in those descriptions I didn't know! Good stuff, again.

It just feels like that thread will never be made. At this point, it's like Versus really dosen't exist. Well I guess I had that same feeling about this game too and look where we are now. :D

Tiduz

Eurogaime
nice op, and awesome rules.

goddam i cant wait till it gets out in pal land :lol

Will keep an eye on thread for impressions

Shouta

One week biatches. I'll not leave my apartment when I get it next weekend.

duckroll said:
Make it a SPOILER thread. So people who want to discuss that nonsense can go there. I want to keep the official thread free from people who are not playing the game all discussing story points and spoilers because they don't give a fuck. Those people can go circlejerk on their own.

Also this. Gonna keep this damn thread clean of folks discussing spoilers when they aren't actually playing the game.

Top Bottom