• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insane Nintendo blogger quits bloging, driven deeper into insanity by Wii Wagon Wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

Some may remember this gentleman as being the progenitor of any number of NPD/Nintendo thread arguments concerning Wii Third Party sales and Nintendo's Blue Ocean strategy. Agree or disagree, plenty of discussion mileage was racked up on the feet of "Birdmen and the Casual Fallacy".

I occasionally checked in with the Maelstorm blog just to see how someone with a wildly divergent and near-obsessive viewpoint tended to view the relative downturn in Nintendo's fortunes, but mostly things just devolve into bizarre crank-ish 5000 word essays on why Eiji Anouma has completely destroyed Zelda or how Mario was better in 2D. It was sort of like Nintendo-Ulillillia....not convincing, but strangely compelling.

That blog died on Christmas day - and the culprit was....

2vvvzw3.jpg

I will buy no more Wii games.....

.....There is no reason to shell out $50 to get little more than paper in return. Discs need proper cases to protect them or there is no reason to buy them at all. This is not the era of the cartridges where they could survive in paper and cardboard. Discs require cases that protect them......

This blog will no longer be updated anymore. What’s the point? This is an anti-consumer act. Now Nintendo is part of the problem instead of the solution. But hey, Nintendo was never serious about the ‘revolution’ in the first place. The purpose of the Wii was not to truly disrupt the industry but to make the console the top dog. I’m convinced more than ever that Nintendo developers just want to make what they want to make. This is why we get abominations like trains in Zelda (because Anonuma reads a train book to his son at night), User Generated Content (because Nintendo has shown zero interest in generating content, original or otherwise), and motion control only being relegated to a few sports games and then ignored in every other part of Nintendo’s output. Nintendo developers are more interested in making games for themselves from Spirit Tracks, Mario Galaxy 2, to Metroid: Other M. Super Mario Brothers 5, an excellent game, should have come out ten years ago or so. Miyamoto and others at Nintendo knew people wanted a new 2d Mario. Instead of giving us one, Miyamoto kept trying to ram 3d Mario down our throats. Mario Galaxy was his last attempt and went so far as to make parts of Mario Galaxy even ‘2d’ to get Galaxy to sell like a 2d Mario game. Hilariously, Miyamoto was not heavily involved with NSMB DS and that game has outsold every Mario game in Japan except the first one...........

.......I’ve left console gaming for fifteen years. I always had the feeling I would do so again.

UPDATE: When Nintendo decided to remove plastic bottoms for SNES cartridges and decided to cover them with that awful gold covering was my breaking point around fifteen years ago.

between this and the insanity laden gaf threads on this topic, I'm baffled at how stupid some people are. Of all the shit to manufacture outrage over :lol :lol :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
thegrayghost
sean maelstrom
huelen10

border

It just seems bizarre that someone would completely disavow the thesis they spent hundreds of hours researching, and hundreds of thousands of words defending......over eco-friendly packaging?? He says plain and simple that Nintendo was never actually interested in disruption or the Blue Ocean.

I don't know what is going on here. Internet Libertarians are driven to rage by the recycling logo and companies that ignore potential money making business strategies?

Is a cleaner game case really such a big deal? I'm only scrolling quickly through "that thread" but the commotion around it is absolutely insane and retarded.

HallucinatingElvis said:
I saw that thread and figured, "what a boring thread that must be"....I take it I was wrong??
I dunno, it was interesting to see how people reacted at first when it appeared to be xbox only, then it was blu rays, then nintendo. You had people freaking out at various points about it, was pretty hilarious to me in a train wreck way.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Souldriver said:
Is a cleaner game case really such a big deal? I'm only scrolling quickly through "that thread" but the commotion around it is absolutely insane and retarded.
I'm in the same boat.

Didn't know cases were a big deal.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I give it 50/50 that the Malstrom meltdown is a crank post to create precisely this reaction from places like GAF. The dude was just done mocking places like IGN for their Wii meltdowns last week.

However, whoever Sean Malstrom actually is (the guy said up front it wasn't his real name), the guy did something most "fanboys" don't do: backed up his assertions with some logic and some research that didn't fall apart at a glance, unless you were terribly biased in the opposite direction and tried your best not to understand what he was talking about.

I checked the blog from time to time. While his style is hyperbolic, he made valid points about what was actually different about say, 2D Mario games and why a lot of people didn't understand why the 3D games didn't create the same reaction with the general public.

He also spent a lot of time mocking so-called hardcore gamers for being greedy, shortsighted nerds, who thought they "own" videogames. I'm not sure how anyone who is intellectually honest can refute that there's a whole lot of gamers who fit Malstrom's stereotypes, especially the people who just cannot stop whining about Nintendo, the Wii, and the expanded audience.

On the other hand, it's the Internet and anything is possible. Perhaps the man really did have a meltdown, and was some kind of unstable genius-savant-fanboy. It still doesn't change that a lot of major points have been brought up on his blog that few people have done anything to challenge besides sticking their fingers in their ears and saying "nya nya we can't hear you! You're just a fanboy because you like Nintendo!"

Firestorm

entrement said:
What's the story with this GrayGhost character?
Worshipped the ground this guy walked on. Also like this guy, had no idea what he was talking about and used ever-changing anecdotal evidence to "support" everything he said.

If this is how he reacts to game packaging modifications I would hate to be his parent or caregiver when he finally learns the truth about Santa and the Easter bunny.

Now he lost it. But he was right on the mark at one point.

The boxes are a no-factor, I also dislike them, but thing is, they aren't gonna have any real impact.

Sony also changed their PS2 cases two years ago, for cheaper ones, with no memory card holder and cheaper finishes, and apparently are changing their PS3 to these recycling aware cases as well. And there was that time when DS games started being sold on paper cases for a time iirc?

Who cares, I don't.

entremet

Firestorm said:
Worshipped the ground this guy walked on. Also like this guy, had no idea what he was talking about and used ever-changing anecdotal evidence to "support" everything he said.
People worship two bit, no name bloggers? Wow.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Firestorm said:

Actually, one reason I checked in on the blog once a month or so, was because Malstrom-man's predictions about what the game industry would do came true a lot more often than say, the hot air that people like Pachter vent on cue. I liked how when GAF first discovered the original essays, people went "LOL! This man knows nothing!" just because he was offering a viewpoint that they didn't want to hear. Nobody still really came up with much to deflate what the guy claimed or predicted.

The uncomfortable part for a lot of people is that like it or not, what Malstrom talks about has been is something other people are beginning to talk about too, as time goes on. I suppose, being the first to get a lot of attention for it - and writing the world's longest articles in the TL;DR generation - he was going to get mocked the hardest for a dissenting viewpoint.

In point of fact, I found a lot of his opinions to be highly biased and didn't agree with a few major things that were posted on that blog. A lot of other stuff hit a little too close to home however, for the comfort of big-time gaming geeks.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Whats the big deal with the new cases? The guys on the 'other thread' are freakin' out.

DustoMan

Banned
I remember when Sega moved away from those nice plastic Genesis cases and replaced them with sleeves and cardboard "cases". I hated those too... not enough to quite buying games.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Kaijima said:
Actually, one reason I checked in on the blog once a month or so, was because Malstrom-man's predictions about what the game industry would do came true a lot more often than say, the hot air that people like Pachter vent on cue. I liked how when GAF first discovered the original essays, people went "LOL! This man knows nothing!" just because he was offering a viewpoint that they didn't want to hear. Nobody still really came up with much to deflate what the guy claimed or predicted.

The uncomfortable part for a lot of people is that like it or not, what Malstrom talks about has been is something other people are beginning to talk about too, as time goes on. I suppose, being the first to get a lot of attention for it - and writing the world's longest articles in the TL;DR generation - he was going to get mocked the hardest for a dissenting viewpoint.

In point of fact, I found a lot of his opinions to be highly biased and didn't agree with a few major things that were posted on that blog. A lot of other stuff hit a little too close to home however, for the comfort of big-time gaming geeks.

Could you give me a brief rundown of his general viewpoints? I've tried reading his blog before, but I simply couldn't get past those massive walls of text and ranting :lol

Can dust more easily infiltrate the games now? Never thought about that.

Whole thing sucks, though. A premium product with inferior packaging. Do they sell regular cases in bulk anywhere on the net?

Guy is a bit nutty, but he is logical.

New cases are bullshit, though. Nothing wrong with being eco-friendly, but there are better ways than with this horrible case design.

Banned
After reading that blog post.....there is no way that is real. Its way to similar to the ign podcast he was just criticizing. Its an obvious parody and the fact that border, a TNL poster who meltdowns whenever malstrom is brought up in any thread is just icing on a deliciously ironic cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom