• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World -or- The Perfect GAF Movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oatmeal

Banned
My wife and I were lucky enough to attend the Las Vegas screening of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World tonight. She got passes through her work, and we made time to get down there in the pouring rain (WTF VEGAS!) and get great seats. When we signed in, we were told it was a mix between Juno and Mortal Kombat. Yes...that's right.

Confused, a few attendees in my section thought it was either Scott Pilgrim, or Kick-Ass. Both exciting prospects. Finally, 7pm rolled around and some lady with a microphone went to the front and announced that it was Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. Exciting! She then proceeded to give us the usual 'test audience' disclaimers...early sound, FX work still not done, etc...but then we were sent away to the film.

Right off the bat, I knew I was going to love it. The Universal Logo was rendered in 8 bit with the Universal theme a MIDI version. Awesome. I knew I was again going to love it when the familiar opening from The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past (triforce spinning) cued the opening shot, a tilt down to an exterior of a house.

Awesome.

From there, it was a mixture of Edgar Wright's usual frenetic camerawork with some unbelievably slick transitions, and while I knew nothing about the story behind the comics, I knew from the start it would be a fun ride.

For those of you not in the know (like I was), I won't spill out each plot point in detail, but I will point out that Wright did some incredibly unique things to capture the spirit of a comic book. The film is a very well thought out mix of video game and comic books. Plot points about getting an 'extra life' and a 'Pee meter' as Michael Cera relieves himself add so much to the story.

Now, usually we'd see Simon Pegg and Nick Frost on the screen, but neither of those two made this film. Instead we get Michael Cera (Scott Pilgrim) and his band and many girlfriends behind him.

For starters, Cera is Michael Cera. He's always cute, charming, and you know exactly what you're going to get from him. That's not taking anything away from him, he's great in this...but still, he's Michael Cera. His gay room mate Kieran Culkin is hilarious in this, he steals virtually every scene he's in. Then we have his band, Kim (Alison Pill), Stills (Mark Webber) and Young Neil (Johnny Simmons), they are all a lot of fun to watch, if not a little under-utilized.

I think the real show stoppers are the '7 exes', who Cera has to battle in order to win the heart of the always-coloring-her-hair-differently Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead). Cera always goes from girl to girl, but thinks Ms. Flowers is the girl of his dreams (technically, she is). She has a unique past with a series of ex boyfriends that are all, I guess, the jealous type. And while the film is usually based in reality (as much as most comic books are), when these 'exes' take the screen, everything changes.

Starting with Matthew Patel (Satya Bhabha), we get to see just why Edgar Wright is, IMO, one of the most talented filmmakers out there. The fight scenes in this film are ludicrous. They are incredibly high energy, completely unique from one another, and a total riot. He has to fight through the aforementioned Patel, Lucas Lee (Played by Chris Evans who looks kind of like Wolverine, if Wolverine were hilarious), Todd Ingram (Brandon Routh, the metrosexual vegan), Roxy Richter (Mae Whitman, or as Arrested Development fans would know her as…"Her?"), twin asian keyboardists (sorry, can't remember their names) and finally Gideon (Jason Schwartzman).

I know it doesn't come out until August 17th, but what they have right now (other than some rough audio patches and a lot of unfinished effects) is pretty damn remarkable. Edgar Wright has once again knocked it out of the park. I don't know how commercial this film can be, due to it's subject matter (it's basically for nerds only, my wife liked it, but not nearly as much as I did), but Goddamnit it's awesome.

On a side note, the woman in front of me had her Blackberry out and was reading some e-mails about The Fast And The Furious 5's crew list, she had a link to the NEW ending of The Wolfman (which she responded, she would "watch it tomorrow", and a couple of other things that I can't remember).

-

So yeah...it's...awesome.

Weenerz

Banned
I badmouthed Michael Cera in the other Scott Pilgrim thread and people were defending him, watch your backs fellow Michael Cera haters.

oatmeal

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
Not all of GAF is confused at life 20-somethings. I am offended by your subject sir! >:|

Nothing to do with being confused...

I just mean the videogame references and the comic book references..it's all just, very GAF.

For starters, Cera is Michael Cera. He's always cute, charming, and you know exactly what you're going to get from him. That's not taking anything away from him, he's great in this...but still, he's Michael Cera. His gay room mate Kieran Culkin is hilarious in this, he steals virtually every scene he's in. Then we have his band, Kim (Alison Pill), Stills (Mark Webber) and Young Neil (Johnny Simmons), they are all a lot of fun to watch, if not a little under-utilized.

Son of a bitch...

Blackhead

Redarse
Wait Micheal Cera is cute, charming and great but... what 'but' exactly?! :lol the Micheal Cera hate seriously needs to stop. I need to start scouring the email list for free preview screenings but I don't want to watch the film before the last book comes out :/

Boonoo

oatmeal said:
Uhmm...no emotional stuff at all.

That's pretty interesting. I was wondering how they were going to adapt it. So the core of the movie is the fight scenes? with everything else heavily revolving around them?

Weenerz said:
I badmouthed Michael Cera in the other Scott Pilgrim thread and people were defending him, watch your backs fellow Michael Cera haters.

Fuck that!

I'm not gonna step down for the definers. :mad:

I'm getting tired of seeing this mother fucker . . . and I actually read most of the series and see no reason for him to be casted. >_>

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
oatmeal said:
On a side note, the woman in front of me had her Blackberry out and was reading some e-mails about The Fast And The Furious 5's crew list, she had a link to the NEW ending of The Wolfman (which she responded, she would "watch it tomorrow", and a couple of other things that I can't remember).
>_>

<_<

>_>

ezekial45

Banned
Do you happen to know which songs by Metric where in the movie? They said they'd finally have their song Black Sheep in something.

In fact, how was the music in general?

oatmeal

Banned
ezekial45 said:
Do you happen to know which songs by Metric where in the movie? They said they'd finally have their song Black Sheep in something.

In fact, how was the music in general?

Honestly? I don't remember it at all. The stuff seemed like it was written for the movie, like a typical action score...fuck. I can't remember. I'm just making that up.

Sorry, nothing stuck out as bad, it all just moves everything along. The sound design was superb though.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
What the....the film is being screened already?!

Anyways, it's awesome of you to post this OP. Film is very much anticipated.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I don't care if it is Michael Cera again, I have to see this.

oatmeal

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
What the....the film is being screened already?!

They said we were the first audience to see it...so that was cool!

I gave it fairly high marks, but had a casting meeting and had to bounce before the Q&A.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
oatmeal said:
They said we were the first audience to see it...so that was cool!

I gave it fairly high marks, but had a casting meeting and had to bounce before the Q&A.
You lucky SoB....

Seems like you & your wife are in the film business, what kind of jobs do you have (if you don't mind me asking)?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
As an unapologetic Wright fanboy I can't wait to see this. I look forward to when Wright get's some massive commercial cred and starts helming big films Fincher-style.

Matt_C

I do not know if want yet? Honestly, it should of been an animated miniseries even though Simon Pegg is a quality director but I cannot stand Cera outside of Arrested Development. Still undecided.

Amir0x

Banned
In my entire life, I have never been more envious of anyone about anything.

I am not a jealous man but I am plotting ways to go back in time and knock you out so I can take your place. I don't care if I destroy all time in the process

DaMan121

I think Edgar Wright will retire having never made a bad movie, and in fact I am willing to bet all of them will be sublime..

Simon Pegg is a quality director

... :)

Edit: And thanks for that oatmeal!

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Wow, I jumped in this thread thinking it would be full of "OLD" and "WE HAVE A THREAD ALREADY" but......

damn. I could not be greener with envy. Hope you go out and purchase the books, as they're works of gaddamned art, son.

Empty

Why do we have to wait till August if it is all but complete right now? Are they trying to pitch it as a summer blockbuster or something?

Also i'm very envious, i really can't wait. Love the source material and Edgar Wright.

Disappointing to hear Cera has once again revealed he has little to no range. What a fucking awful choice for Pilgrim that lets this entire movie down. I have no doubt every other cast member and movie structure is brilliant, but not getting the main character right is a serious error Edgar shouldnt have made, despite being hungry for "star power".

Lame :/

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I'm tired of Cera
As a consequence; I am not looking forward to this film.

After hearing the Bryan Lee O'Malley interview on War Rocket Ajax this week, the Cera hate just makes me laugh.

Let's run the numbers:
Bryan Lee O'Malley, creator of Scott Pilgrim, thinks Cera is great in it
Edgar Wright, accomplished director of several films with fantastic casting, chose Cera for it
GAF, on the other hand, has serious misgivings.

I'm pretty sure I know who I side with.

(Bryan Lee O'Malley and Edgar Wright)

Who want to sell their movie and make lots of money from it so are hardly going to be saying "yeah, whoops, dont bother seeing it, he's crap!"

It'll be a good movie, no doubt. Just it could have been a GREAT movie if the main character wasn't completely mis-cast.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Who want to sell their movie and make lots of money from it so are hardly going to be saying "yeah, whoops, dont bother seeing it, he's crap!"

It'll be a good movie, no doubt. Just it could have been a GREAT movie if the main character wasn't completely mis-cast.

I doubt O'Malley was on a comic book podcast trying to fill seats. He talked pretty honestly about movies Cera was in that sucked but that he works fantastically in the movie which, bovs, he's already seen.

Guaranteed though, anyone going into the film disappointed in his casting is most likely just going to have that disappointment confirmed. Every little thing he does will be scrutinized and most likely they'll find something not to like.

I have a feeling this will be my favorite movie of all time. I thought waiting until April for Kick-Ass was going to bad but waiting until August for this is going to be painful.

Black-Wind said:
Michael Cera?!?!

Meh, think I'm gonna pass . . . I just can't see it and he is getting too over exposed. >_>

If you're seriously going to pass this up just because of him, I feel sorry for you. He's not my first choice for Scott but I can see how he could work.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
The source material doesn't interest me at all, and the Juno-meets-Mortal Kombat comparison makes it sound dreadful, BUT I have a lot of love for Edgar Wright.

tenritsu

Banned
oatmeal said:
The Universal Logo was rendered in 8 bit with the Universal theme a MIDI version. Awesome. I knew I was again going to love it when the familiar opening from The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past (triforce spinning) cued the opening shot, a tilt down to an exterior of a house.

The film is a very well thought out mix of video game and comic books. Plot points about getting an 'extra life' and a 'Pee meter' as Michael Cera relieves himself add so much to the story.

As a huge fan of the comic, I am SO happy to hear this stuff was kept intact. CANNOT WAIT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom