• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Narroo

I know Touhou doesn't have a huge following on GAF, but a new Touhou spinoff game was announced. The idea is to use different special powers (such as teleportation) to defeat very difficult attacks.

This is also the first Touhou game for which the developer has posted a trailer on YouTube, possibly suggesting more support for the foreign fanbase in the future.

Looks similar in style to "shoot the bullet," but with more special mechanics than just taking pictures. Honestly, I've prefer the regular level style Touhous over the spell-card games, but it's alright.

Coda

It would probably be pretty nice to play, but since I have no hope it'd ever get a PAL release, I can't really get excited about the idea.

Yeah I mean it probably won't happen regardless considering Cave is shmup stagnant right now but a man can dream. A Progear re-release would be amazing on the Wii U gamepad.

psylah

Found a copy of Destination Earthstar for the NES.

It's a first-person space shooter (dogfighting style), which turns into a side scrolling shooter when you find an enemy base and attack.

Destination%20Earthstar%20(U).png

gfs_46906_2_7.jpg

Using flight controls (inverted Y axis) sucks on a NES controller.

gunstarhero

Found a copy of Destination Earthstar for the NES.

It's a first-person space shooter (dogfighting style), which turns into a side scrolling shooter when you find an enemy base and attack.

Destination%20Earthstar%20(U).png

gfs_46906_2_7.jpg

Using flight controls (inverted Y axis) sucks on a NES controller.

Woah - never even heard of this game. Any good? Who published this?

psylah

Woah - never even heard of this game. Any good? Who published this?

It was published by Acclaim, developed in my home state by Imagineering, and is pretty decent. Like I said, dealing with flightstick controls on a D-pad kinda sucks, but I was able to shoot down enemies in the FPS mode. When you shoot them down, a B appears on the map indicating an enemy base, which you can go into for the side-scrolling shooter portion.

There are other planets on the map, which you can stop by for refueling, ammo, and possibly some other secrets I haven't seen. The FPS part seems much more fleshed out than the shooter, but I'm terrible at shooters and get a game over before I can get to the end.

Danchi

Shit. Bullet Soul Infinite Burst's release date just got TBD'ed. I was actually looking forward to getting it next week.

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20140418_645070.html

I was looking forward to hearing some impressions. I heard the original's DLC was a big improvement on the game.

Infinite Burst is basically a Black Label of the original game, right? Different enough for them to include the original in the LE (as a download code), though.

RM8

I grabbed Chain Blaster on 3DS since it's on sale. The demo makes it feel very easy and simple (since you can kill lots of enemies instantly with a "chain" bomb), but it actually gets fun shortly afterwards. It seems to be very short, it's definitely a high-score kind of game, I'm enjoying it a lot :p

V7IEEsv.jpg

PIHfUKS.jpg

Fraeon

A friend of mine is working on a shmup that's quite the homage of the genre:

(Click the image for a Youtube showcase)

Just giving him a bit of a plug. It's free but Windows only, sadly.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

hey this looks good! your buddy does nice work.

CBTech

I love it! I haven't beat the second level yet, but this is exactly the kind of game I want to play right now. Can't wait to see more.

Wow, nice Radiant Silvergun weapon nod, haha

the art style is really interesting but some of the hitsparks look a little distracting

emalord

Hi guys I came here to say I was a big shump fan, and the golden age to me is 16bit era. I'm over 40 and that was my best time ever.
I finished both Thunderforce III and IV with one ship, loved Musha Aleste and the most hidden gem of all in my opinion is POP'N'TWINBEE on SNES. A fantastic kawaii shump with great use of mode7, incredible OST and some nods to Studio Ghibli design.
In recent years I loved Treasure shumps when ported to Xbla even if I had Ikaruga and Radiant on their native platforms.
A friend of mine also introduced me to Bullet Hell paradise but never totally clicked.
Yep, I'm totally the 16bit guy

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hi guys I came here to say I was a big shump fan, and the golden age to me is 16bit era. I'm over 40 and that was my best time ever.
I finished both Thunderforce III and IV with one ship, loved Musha Aleste and the most hidden gem of all in my opinion is POP'N'TWINBEE on SNES. A fantastic kawaii shump with great use of mode7, incredible OST and some nods to Studio Ghibli design.
In recent years I loved Treasure shumps when ported to Xbla even if I had Ikaruga and Radiant on their native platforms.
A friend of mine also introduced me to Bullet Hell paradise but never totally clicked.
Yep, I'm totally the 16bit guy

You're also Italian, used to post on it.comp.console and are, possibly, a game-dev (or used to be) on a scooter-motorbikes related game (which got featured on Edge magazine back in the day), am I right? :p

Thanks for sharing. I will see how well it runs in Wine later.

Edit: Runs fine. Fullscreen takes some tweaking in OSX. No sound effects, but the music plays.

hipgnosis

Yes this is really amazing. Highly recommended to give it a shot.

emalord

You're also Italian, used to post on it.comp.console and are, possibly, a game-dev (or used to be) on a scooter-motorbikes related game (which got featured on Edge magazine back in the day), am I right? :p

Partially true.
But no, I'm not that dev. His nickname was Kurai... Maybe? I remember that guy too btw

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Partially true.
But no, I'm not that dev. His nickname was Kurai... Maybe? I remember that guy too btw

Damn, so close! :p maybe you were one of the Project Ring fellas, either way we're roughly the same age and I used to write on ICC for several years (haven't been there since ages ago tho, I believe the PS3 was coming out when I bailed).

Anyway, back on topic:

And now Raiden IV Overkill got delayed. What the fuck?

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/841/841707/

5/13 is the new date. Don't know if this effects the US release.

This one is digital only in JPN as well, right?

Also, do you guys think it'd still be worthy grabbing the original Bullet Soul? I know buying BSIB -LE gets you a DL code of the prequel but I'm not getting the LE and even then I try to avoid digital distribution for collection's purposes.

AmyS

I had Raiden III on PS2 years ago but never got to try vanilla Raiden IV on Xbox 360.

Watched a play through of IV on 360, clearly a generation of difference between III and IV.

Raiden III and IV were made for TaitoType X arcade hardware that used commodity PC parts. Arcade Street Fighter IV series also uses the Type X family. IIRC, like a PC, the Type X, X+, X2 etc families were not fixed platform(s), could make use of more powerful hardware.

So anyway, aside from HD, I noticed how much better and smoother Raiden IV's graphics look on 360 compared to III on PS2

Classic Game Room's review of Raiden IV

Seriously getting hyped for Raiden IV Overkill on PS3, just one more week! (4/29) EDIT: DELAYED ???? Damnit!

AmyS

Hype level rising just a little bit knowing there's a decent chance I'll be able to play Raiden IV Overkill on PS3, in little as 7 days.

I've had Raiden III on PS2 for a while but never actually played it. Any thoughts about it? I guess I'll give it a whirl before IV:O drops.

Yes Boss!

Jealous. I didn't get to preorder and I'm broke till the end of the month -_-

Please post your impression(s) when you get it.

I will. Most excited for Combat Zeal but I totally dig the whole arcadey feel of the set. Perfect for one of my HD cabs, really. Hoping Pengo is the shit.

First new 360 shmup after a year. Excite!

Top Bottom